• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goal 2010 Where are we now?

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
"News that New Zealand has gone batshit crazy because they have qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time in 27 years made me look up how Singapore was doing with our very own Goal 2010. You know, that target set by Goh Chok Tong, who was inspired by then World Cup champions France, fielding a team full of players who, in his own words, "dont look like Frenchmen". He must have went, "Eureka! Flood the Singapore team with foreigners and we will qualify for sure!" Can't say it is not a brilliant strategy. He already wanted to flood Singapore with foreigners then, and he wants some tangible results to shut the mouths of critics. "

After doing away with the Malaysia Cup, the formation of the S-League, spending lots of money on sub-standard foreign import (including one foreign import from Nigeria who was more interested in import/exporting old electrical applicances from Sungei Road), and the multi million salaries paid to Mah Bow Tan (President of FAS at that time).....

Where are we now? What do we need to do? I feel we have taken one step forward and 3 steps back because at least we had Fandi, Sundram and Malek Awab and David Lee back in the heydays.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
The most successful and WELL SUPPORTED Singapore National team had Chinese, Malays, Indians, and Eurasians playing as a NATIONAL TEAM.

Now, not one single Chinese or Indian.
No brains in the team means NO SUCCESS.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope the Opposition will use Goal 2010 campaign to shut MBT up during Election next year, that will be funny, hahaha LOL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"MBT!!!, Where is Goal 2010??? Where?????" hahahaha :p:p:p:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Goal 2010 Project is a total embarassment to the ruling party. It just goes to show how much they know about football and the standard of world cup quality football vs SG football. They were so far removed from reality to realize that qualifying for the world cup isn't going to just happen if we cannot even qualify for the Asian Cup

That aside, I have to admit that its not a total loss. In fact the footballing quality of the local footballers have improved tremendously. In terms of the domestic front, the standard of the S-league has suppass or at the very least is as good as the M-league. The S-league teams also consistently perform admirably in AFC competitions. On the international scene, we have since been crown Asean Champions 3 times. Thailand is the only nation to have won the title more times then us.

And during the qualifiers for the major competition, we used to lose every freaking match that we went to. Right now, we still have a fairly decent chance of making it to the next Asian Cup(current 2nd on the table, top 2 qualifies). It is also good to know that the youngsters who are able to make it into the senior national squad is getting younger. The current team U-23 squad we sent to the SEA Games this year is on the average only 19 years old, the youngest in the competition. I'm pretty excited to see what the future holds for them. Given a few more years, they will get their chance at the big competitions.

So although the World Cup is still a world away, the local footballing standard have at least improved from the days of the old kampong M-league

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they only qualify, because they manage to wizzle themselves into an easy group, with mingets. instead of south amercian warriors.

"News that New Zealand has gone batshit crazy because they have qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time in 27 years made me look up how Singapore was doing with our very own Goal 2010. You know, that target set by Goh Chok Tong, who was inspired by then World Cup champions France, fielding a team full of players who, in his own words, "dont look like Frenchmen". He must have went, "Eureka! Flood the Singapore team with foreigners and we will qualify for sure!" Can't say it is not a brilliant strategy. He already wanted to flood Singapore with foreigners then, and he wants some tangible results to shut the mouths of critics. "

After doing away with the Malaysia Cup, the formation of the S-League, spending lots of money on sub-standard foreign import (including one foreign import from Nigeria who was more interested in import/exporting old electrical applicances from Sungei Road), and the multi million salaries paid to Mah Bow Tan (President of FAS at that time).....

Where are we now? What do we need to do? I feel we have taken one step forward and 3 steps back because at least we had Fandi, Sundram and Malek Awab and David Lee back in the heydays.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
url

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S league many are FT. Singapore pool are sponsoring FT that cannot make it in theirs own country. So what u expexted of the result.

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone remember the name of the Nigerian who was caught skipping training but was found at Sungei Road haggling over the prices of second hand washing machines and TV? Was that Agu Cashmir? I could be wrong.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Goal 2010 Project is a total embarassment to the ruling party. It just goes to show how much they know about football and the standard of world cup quality football vs SG football. They were so far removed from reality to realize that qualifying for the world cup isn't going to just happen if we cannot even qualify for the Asian Cup

That aside, I have to admit that its not a total loss. In fact the footballing quality of the local footballers have improved tremendously. In terms of the domestic front, the standard of the S-league has suppass or at the very least is as good as the M-league. The S-league teams also consistently perform admirably in AFC competitions. On the international scene, we have since been crown Asean Champions 3 times. Thailand is the only nation to have won the title more times then us.

And during the qualifiers for the major competition, we used to lose every freaking match that we went to. Right now, we still have a fairly decent chance of making it to the next Asian Cup(current 2nd on the table, top 2 qualifies). It is also good to know that the youngsters who are able to make it into the senior national squad is getting younger. The current team U-23 squad we sent to the SEA Games this year is on the average only 19 years old, the youngest in the competition. I'm pretty excited to see what the future holds for them. Given a few more years, they will get their chance at the big competitions.

So although the World Cup is still a world away, the local footballing standard have at least improved from the days of the old kampong M-league

I would believe Bookies have more to do with it than SG footballers abilities. :biggrin:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
"News that New Zealand has gone batshit crazy because they have qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time in 27 years

Atcually this is NZ's 2nd WC foray. The 1st being at the WC party in Espana 1982. Remember Wynton Rufer? The one & only famous NZ player that plied his trade in the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen.
According to their 2006 census count, NZ's population is 4.143mil. Give & take, at 2009, I think theyre about 4.6mil today.
Spore's 4.9mil population also cannot reach WC. If u add in the illegal & sex workers in Spore, Im not surprised there's atcually 6mil people crammed into this 712sq feet island.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Own goal is your local culture. Be brave and accept it as part of parcel of your pathetic existence here :wink::wink::wink: