• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gerald Giam performance in Parliament yesterday = Very good

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Mr Giam.

You did very well in speaking up for average working class people. My family & I voted for WP in East Coast GRC made a right choice :smile:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Keep up the good statistics & work Gerald! In cases of unwarranted rebuttals, use the statistics to your own advantage & conquer your opponents.

Star-jumping-Well-Done-2.gif

TODAYonline said:
Lower out-of-pocket expenses for patients: MPs

by Tan Weizhen
04:47 AM Oct 19, 2011
SINGAPORE - In a bid to lighten the burden on patients' pockets, several Members of Parliament yesterday called for a review of the current healthcare financing schemes.

Dr Fatimah Lateef (Marine Parade GRC) said there is leeway for the MediSave400 scheme to be pushed to Medisave500 - increasing the annual withdrawal limit from S$400 to S$500.

In her parliamentary speech, the deputy chair of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Health explained: "(This is) in view of the push towards more ambulatory management of chronic diseases, our very rapidly ageing populace, and the increase in the average salaries of Singaporeans."

Dr Fatimah said the move will help to reduce out-of-pocket payments. She called for the use of MediShield to be extended to the treatment of congenital diseases, due to high costs and the need for multiple procedures.

She also suggested more comprehensive medical insurance for the elderly - besides Eldercare and ElderShield - as they are at the stage in life when they need the most coverage, yet find it most difficult to get it.

Non-Constituency MP Gerald Giam, from the Workers' Party, proposed expanding the use of MediShield to reduce direct payments by patients.

He called for the strengthening of the current forms of pre-payment and risk-pooling, and provide assistance to groups who cannot afford the premiums, such as housewives and the elderly.

Of the Medifund scheme, Mr Giam said: "Medifund is subject to extremely stringent means-testing and disbursements are not exactly generous".

In 2009, he said, an average of S$1,029 was given to fewer than 24,000 inpatient Medifund applicants - representing just 5 per cent of total hospital admissions that year.

Both Dr Fatimah and Mr Giam also pointed to parents' heavy reliance on their children's Medisave accounts.

In 2005, Mr Giam said, 60 per cent of the elderly withdrew from their children's Medisave accounts to pay for their medical bills. "If these patients' children are also low-income earners - as is often the case - the Government is merely shifting the burden of poverty within the pool of the poor," he said.

Dr Fatimah added: "Consider the scenario where the child Medisave-account holder is 60 years of age, and the elderly parent 85 years of age - this is going to become more and more prominent as we move on and our life span gets longer with an ageing population."

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
He also indirectly mentioned how corporate & SME employers bullied working class Singaporeans and ignored the well-being of the Singaporeans.

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
He also indirectly mentioned how corporate & SME employers bullied working class Singaporeans and ignored the well-being of the Singaporeans.

Found Gerald full speech here: http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10...nd-mantras-of-self-reliance-and-filial-piety/

V impressive. While your opponents will have a hard time rebutting you based on your stats and facts, a few of them has shown their usual smoke-screen strategy by drawing irrelevant examples countering your conclusions - just need to tell them to focus and come back to the original point instead of wayanging with irrelevant examples.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Mr Gerald Giam.
You have done for us what those fucking 82 PAP MPs could not do for 30 years.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
These coattail PAP MPs on GRC tickets are there for the money and they are selected base on how many 'yes' they can say and how to shut up and kee chiu with herd mentality.

Thank you Mr Gerald Giam.
You have done for us what those fucking 82 PAP MPs could not do for 30 years.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not bad I must say.

WP is playing the co-driver role, as promised before the GE. Highlight problems for debate in parliament. It is the role of the cabinet and the ruling government to find solutions or rebut them in parliament. Overall I like how non-PAP MPs add an additional dimension to the discussions by highlighting where the existing public policies have come short, unlike all the other bo-chee PAP MPs who are afraid to offend their 'boss' and seniors in the Party.

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there is strategy in the who delivers what speech. As he is NCMP, WP gave him a good heartland puller speech on transport, health and housing issues. A winner. The other WP MPs from Aljunied so far were more on rhetoric I felt compared to Gerald's. The next guy to watch from WP would be Pritam. His facist stern style was fantastic in a rally, but it might be really inappropriate in a parliament of peers and could cost him.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there is strategy in the who delivers what speech. As he is NCMP, WP gave him a good heartland puller speech on transport, health and housing issues. A winner. The other WP MPs from Aljunied so far were more on rhetoric I felt compared to Gerald's. The next guy to watch from WP would be Pritam. His facist stern style was fantastic in a rally, but it might be really inappropriate in a parliament of peers and could cost him.

Let's wait for him to deliver his maiden speech before we comment. Personally, I believe he will do well. Not that difficult to change your style and mellow down when you are delivering a speech in the Parliament.

citizen2116

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gerald performance is like a debate team member but in reality it does nt reflect the reality in the world. Who want to pay for taxes?

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I expect to see more from Gerald, WP is banking on him for the next GE. He is the next guy to watch in the local political scene, if he plays his card right.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ya we should voice out against these employers for making us worked very long hours and never pay us overtimes. And also those employers making us work very fast too. Fxxk these employers :mad: