• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General Comparison between Auckland and Melbourne in living costs

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Hawaii / honolulu , if you look anglo-saxon you can't get a job. 60 % asian population. So, racisim works both way.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a racist too Ned. Muslims are fucktards when debating religion. Chinese are money misers. Whites think they are gods gift to the world. Jews are evil to the core. But the worst of them all is Indians stink to high heaven. Ive never been to india but i'll bet its hard to find under arm deodorant in any stores there.
Also stay away from any blacks you dont know (this one I'm going with statistics on convicts ratio currently in prisons around the world)

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eg For those in the Resources sector.

No one will go Adelaide unless they are joining a big employer like Santos.

For Perth, FIFO workers prefer here because the planes stop here and the eastern state workers and Kiwis have to wait for hours before the next flight home. Is it a surprise that Perth has 3 domestic air terminals and a tiny international terminal. Also, the presence of knock shops near the airport to keep the cashed up workers entertained. :biggrin:
Than I'll be heading to Adelaide in Dec. Someone got to do it. :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Hawaii / honolulu , if you look anglo-saxon you can't get a job. 60 % asian population. So, racisim works both way.
It is not just Asians.
My Kiwi colleague got into trouble once with a local. Same race different country. Nothing to do with Rugby World Cup too. :biggrin:

Just glad that I have good Anglo-Saxon friends, including an ex-girlfriend who think Asian men make better partners. Too bad she went off to the States.

The gronks tend to be in upper management, the most racist one was caught using company's money to pay off his Global Financial Crisis debts. So, in a way, these people do disappear by themselves.

There is another one who cannot stand Asian women. His problem is that he is bad at management and cannot stand being told off by women, worse Asian women. He lives in fear and his only joy is calling his ex-wife at 3am in the morning due to insomnia - he cannot do that now (court orders) and lives in online dating sites to relieve desperate old maids. He may end up catching the crabs.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Than I'll be heading to Adelaide in Dec. Someone got to do it. :wink:

If you are serious about South Australia, I remember that SA is a state that most welcome migrants.

I cannot find the website now.
In the past, you can register with the SA office in Singapore and when you arrive in Adelaide, A Welcome agent will offer a free transfer (additional taxi free if you need one) for you from airport to a temporary accommodation. The agent will also give you an orientation around the city including a grocery shopping trip and book you for appointment for employment services.

They are the only State to have this service as at 2007. I am not sure if they still have it.

Worth checking out.
http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/once_youre_here/information_sessions.jsp

http://www.multicultural.sa.gov.au/documents/TAFESAInterlinkBrochure_2008_000.pdf

Found a similar one for UK, may not be free now, a small fee payable?
http://www.adelaidebound.com/relocations.html

Adelaide Bound Arrival Package - This package is designed to provide you with assistance with every aspect of starting your new life.

Met at airport
Migrants Pack (as shown above)
Arrangement of Short Term Accommodation - We can supply you with a short list of quality accommodation to suit your requirements and arrange the booking on your behalf.
Arrangement of Car Hire
School Profiles and Viewing Visits
Suburb Info Package - includes breakdown of local amenities, shops, location, housing etc
Welcome pack including Australian Sim Card (we provide you with the number to give to family and friends prior to leaving the UK), local paper, info leaflets on local attractions, important contact numbers etc along with pantry essentials such as tea and coffee.
Telephone Support
Bank Account Activation
Getting your Australian Driving Licence
Medicare
Family Assistance
Tax File Number set up
Orientation Day - includes a visit around local shops, amenities etc. once you are settled into your rental to show the basics of what to find where.
Shops Guide - where to go to buy whatever you need until your container arrives.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The point that I am making is that there is no comparison between Singapore and these 1st world countries. People who remain do so because of elderly parents, cannot qualify, cannot adapt to change and are essentially followers with no initiative or overwhelming inertia. There are some who cannot replicate their lucrative business network or niche and fair enough.

If you say don't go to China, India, Bangladesh, you might have a case.

If you go live in a slump or a ghetto or you are poor performer by nature, then the hierarchy will be obvious. I am sure that being a foreigner there and not being a native you would naturally face obstacles. But that itself is a challenge.

Then you have the principles of comparative advantage. Singapore Lawyers in mid career will never migrate as the money does not even comes close to what they earn here. Doctors on the other hand make a fortune overseas compared to Singapore. Generally many people migrate to provide their kids a headstart.

Not trying to discourage anyone in leaving the shithole called shithole. Just that its not as easy today. My observation is that the cities you have mentioned are saturated with migrant workers and depending on their ethnicity and where they are from, there is a kind of hierarchic in terms of which race gets more attention first. In the states is whites-blacks--Hispanics--asians. The movie Crash is an example im kind of refering to. BTW ive work in three major province in Cnada in 04.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes of course with hard work or being born rich one can buy anything anywhere. But the truth is whether their children will find jobs and equal opportunity in these foreign soil is another question altogether. I've lived in Canada before and those high end apartments in Vancouver are filled with rich honkees and Taiwanese. But where are their children working at? Believe me when I say that Oz/ NZ/ Canada/ Europe/ US citizens and business owners are not too happy now with the China chinese. It was bad before but its worst now. Westerners wants someone to blame for their miseries and failures and the chinese are their number 1 target.
Even the chinese in sinkapore look down on the mainland chinese. Also to note is the anger towards indian migrants awhile back in OZ. There was a backlash at indian nationals and the feeling is still strong among locals. Racist as it sounds, it's very easy to stereotype someone from his or her name without having seen or speak to that person. If thats how it works then so be it

Once the property shit hits the fan in OZ, it wont be so rosy for these same rich mainland chinese and I dont think Ozzies will bother differentiating the different asian races and nationalities. All asians to them are chinese. That said, I'm still heading there to carve out a niche for myself. Better suffer there for awhile than suffer in eternity in sinkapore.

The opposite can be the truth as Asians we can't tell a caucasian if he's a Aussie, Canadian, American, Kiwi, European etc. until he opens his mouth. Of course we don't expect them to know much about us as by itself there's many cultures and subcultures within the Asian community so it's pretty complex unless he lives in Asia before.
Most of them by default will guess we'll all from china as there's the easiet guess. If you'll dark skin then they'll guess you are from India. In the workplace no one really cares where you'll from so long you can work in a team and speak proper English. Having a Anglo first name helps a lot as caucasians have hard time pronoucing chinese names as it's not something they'll familiar with. You probably read from the media some years ago a lot of asians (as well as middle eastern people) had to fabricate their last name as anglo-saxon names in order to secure job interviews.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these are first world countries that have a long history of immigration with many into their 3rd and 4th migration waves. Every wave and every ethnic group have succeeded in the main. People talk about backlash, discrimination, racism, glass ceiling etc.

Vancouver is not a commercial city or the capital. Common sense will tell you that opportunities are found in capital cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Melbourne, London, Frisco, NY, LA etc. If you are dumb enough to move to places other than these and you are not retiree, rather than bitch and moan, why not reason and move towards where the opportunities. Some people are not meant to migrate. They cannot adapt, they are lost without help.

Singaporeans should not have any problem as their education standards are high, they speak English well, they are highly westernised and certainly more likely to adapt than some other 3rd world entities.

Even in Singapore, you will find people that whinge and whine because they cannot be promoted, face discrimination because they did not come from an elite background, wrong school etc.

If a fucking Mexican who has no formal education, an Ah Tiong and an An Neh can make it, buy a nice house and have children that are more confident, better educated, and is now coming to Singapore to run a business as an arm of MNC so that dumb Singaporeans who have no balls to survive outside Singapore can be employed, it does tell a lot.

Singaporeans should not have any problem as their education standards are high, they speak English well, they are highly westernised and certainly more likely to adapt than some other 3rd world entities. Haha, I'm not sure about 'they speak English well' - yes, I reckon majority of Sporeans make it to the western world are highly educated and have higher standards of English than other Asian countries. However, many westerns might find it hard to understand their accent - in a way it has become very distinct way of speaking English to others (similiar to Malaysians) . Again, not all Sporeans are westernised, sure, they got a good understanding of western and chinese culture but some would live in a very chinese traditional way(eg. only eat asian food, listen to chinese pop songs, watch only chinese/hk dramas,refuse to blend with other cultures, must consume rice/or noodles in every meal etc.) and these group would find it hard to adapt to the western culture. In Asia, the Japanese are actually regarded as the most westernised (as they adopted western culture ages ago and their advancement in science & technology) even they hardly speak a word of English. The PRC chinese , on the other hand, will retain their strong chinese culture in any country they emigrated. I come across some real estate agents / property managers speak really bad English but they still manage to run a business, though their target customers are mostly chinese, if they need to interact with westerners they would not mind being thick skin to get something done. This is something I admire them about their guards and risk-taking nature, which Sporeans are not bred that way.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually, the racism is not as bad in the workplace, you do not even know it is there. Some people just do not know how treat you culturally. Eg In my office, we even celebrate the end of Ramadan for our muslim colleagues. Now is 9/11 memorial, so we do not want to talk about it in their presence. To the muslims, they may think that we are talking behind them because we stop the moment they are within our presence.

Sometimes,a colleague can just talk something like "... as long as we do not go to the Asian place ..." and then they realised your presence. They will turned red-faced and apologise. "Sorry, I do not know you are here"
Do you get offended? For me, No. Because I also talk bad about the AngloSaxons. I just tell them it is okay. "I get annoyed with Asians too" (Which is true)

But the issue of not employing Asians is something I understand. Their response is that they will employ people from your country (Singapore) but not from one that they have difficulty communicating with (Usually Hongkong, China). Sometimes, it is hard to know where the candidates come from until they open their mouth.

Try to do that in Workplace Sydney you'll get slaughtered as in certain teams it can be outnumbered by Asians. I recalled 2 years back I attended a workshop about team leadership,one participant (from accent she's probably from Ireland) was making a comment about asian members in her team tend to muffle when they speak(customer service) - there were some reactions. I wrote in my feedback form commented the trainer/instructor shoud have had corrected her as she got to recognise there's many cultures/subcultures in the asian community so she shouldn't stereotyped based on her personal experiences in the workplace.

Having said that, I do agree certain group of Asians are indeed very annoying eg. the call centres swamped by Pinoys or ah nehs,the PRCs being uncivilised and speak loudly on train in Mandarin, the viets speaking vietnamese amongs themselves in the workplace.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being from a mixed parentage in sinkapore..I know very well what racism is. It has followed me through school/ns/working life and even at my hdb shops.
The mainland chinese in sg now treats me like a foreigner in my own country. They are corky and way above their heads at the workplace.I have no sympathy for them at all.
I know stereotyping people is a shallow way of seeing things but this is a dog eat dog world we live in. No one in his/her lifespan got the time to annalyse and study who is the good or bad from every racial group. Of course there are certain times when we have no choice but to work with other races. I'm at an age right now where I can't take any more chances in trusting certain people from certain races. People can call me a racist of whatever they want, thats up to them and the hell with them. I'm all for racial profiling at airports. No one wants to admit it but who in the world actually trust a middle eastern looking person on the same flight as theirs. Fuck those rag heads la. Like I said in another thread, US should just let them annihilate each other than the rest of the world can go in and get the oil.
Blacks/ Middle Eastern/ Indians are high on my watchlist. In europe and other parts of the world, these are the people that is always on the news and always not a good one. My aunt who stays in amsterdam said to me once that 20 years ago the majority of homes in Holland did not came with divider fences. Over the years with the influx of morrocans/ turks/ nigerians/ etc etc..the dutch people are more wary about their safety and fence themselves up in their homes.
Canadians are also crying foul to their government for taking in too much refugees and asylum seekers. Alot of these people dont work and get excellent welfare from the Canadian government. They get free condo housing/ free school/ cash and what not. Fucking leeches.

I find that asian races are more predictable but I got my eyes glued on the indians ( sinkee indians not included). Back in the 80s I had an indian neighbor (catholics) who moved to than a new estate (Yishun) My mom was friends to the lady and the indian lady told my mom that they themselves moved to yishun in order to get away from the indian community in sg.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are serious about South Australia, I remember that SA is a state that most welcome migrants.

I cannot find the website now.
In the past, you can register with the SA office in Singapore and when you arrive in Adelaide, A Welcome agent will offer a free transfer (additional taxi free if you need one) for you from airport to a temporary accommodation. The agent will also give you an orientation around the city including a grocery shopping trip and book you for appointment for employment services.

They are the only State to have this service as at 2007. I am not sure if they still have it.

Worth checking out.
http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/once_youre_here/information_sessions.jsp

http://www.multicultural.sa.gov.au/documents/TAFESAInterlinkBrochure_2008_000.pdf

Found a similar one for UK, may not be free now, a small fee payable?
http://www.adelaidebound.com/relocations.html

Adelaide Bound Arrival Package - This package is designed to provide you with assistance with every aspect of starting your new life.

Met at airport
Migrants Pack (as shown above)
Arrangement of Short Term Accommodation - We can supply you with a short list of quality accommodation to suit your requirements and arrange the booking on your behalf.
Arrangement of Car Hire
School Profiles and Viewing Visits
Suburb Info Package - includes breakdown of local amenities, shops, location, housing etc
Welcome pack including Australian Sim Card (we provide you with the number to give to family and friends prior to leaving the UK), local paper, info leaflets on local attractions, important contact numbers etc along with pantry essentials such as tea and coffee.
Telephone Support
Bank Account Activation
Getting your Australian Driving Licence
Medicare
Family Assistance
Tax File Number set up
Orientation Day - includes a visit around local shops, amenities etc. once you are settled into your rental to show the basics of what to find where.
Shops Guide - where to go to buy whatever you need until your container arrives.
Great sites Ned. Thanks.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being from a mixed parentage in sinkapore..I know very well what racism is. It has followed me through school/ns/working life and even at my hdb shops.
The mainland chinese in sg now treats me like a foreigner in my own country. They are corky and way above their heads at the workplace.I have no sympathy for them at all.
I know stereotyping people is a shallow way of seeing things but this is a dog eat dog world we live in. No one in his/her lifespan got the time to annalyse and study who is the good or bad from every racial group. Of course there are certain times when we have no choice but to work with other races. I'm at an age right now where I can't take any more chances in trusting certain people from certain races. People can call me a racist of whatever they want, thats up to them and the hell with them. I'm all for racial profiling at airports. No one wants to admit it but who in the world actually trust a middle eastern looking person on the same flight as theirs. Fuck those rag heads la. Like I said in another thread, US should just let them annihilate each other than the rest of the world can go in and get the oil.
Blacks/ Middle Eastern/ Indians are high on my watchlist. In europe and other parts of the world, these are the people that is always on the news and always not a good one. My aunt who stays in amsterdam said to me once that 20 years ago the majority of homes in Holland did not came with divider fences. Over the years with the influx of morrocans/ turks/ nigerians/ etc etc..the dutch people are more wary about their safety and fence themselves up in their homes.
Canadians are also crying foul to their government for taking in too much refugees and asylum seekers. Alot of these people dont work and get excellent welfare from the Canadian government. They get free condo housing/ free school/ cash and what not. Fucking leeches.

I find that asian races are more predictable but I got my eyes glued on the indians ( sinkee indians not included). Back in the 80s I had an indian neighbor (catholics) who moved to than a new estate (Yishun) My mom was friends to the lady and the indian lady told my mom that they themselves moved to yishun in order to get away from the indian community in sg.

Looks like you are set for migration, mate.

PRC chinese called me Nanyang chinese (i.e. Inferior banana Chinese who cannot survive w/o laws) I do not blame them because they are taught to be a proud people. Lee Kuan Yew also make Singaporeans very howlian for no reason. But now, Singaporeans have a taste of the powerful PRC Chinese. Pity that you must be treated like their northern babarians.

I realised that PRC Chinese thinking is still stuck in Imperial age - they want to be rich so that they can live like Emperors and have Elite status (eg above the laws). So, they wonder why Singaporeans complain about million dollars Ministers. In fact, some think that Singapore ministers already low-paid because they have no private planes to bring them to USA to visit their kids in Ivy League universities.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is more than racial issue, it's nationality and the pride that comes with it. Racially majority are chinese in Spore, but due to the colonial influences and the emphasis on English education Sporeans are in between the western and chinese culture. We'll were all proud and celebrate for Li Na when she became the first chinese(or Asian) winning the Grand slam(french Open tennis) this year, but other than this we have nothing to relate with our PRC mates as our thinking are very different. Sporeans want the best things in life but they will work hard for it and not resort to cheat or breaking the law. PRCs will get their goals achieved by all means. However, things have changed, china as a country it's very powerful now -western civilisation has dominated for so long so the westerners are worry they get overturn or ruled by the chinese one day. Culturally they are apples vs oranges, nothing in common. China had already dominated the world's top 5 banks and they are wealthy enough to acquire major American firms - the chinese will get more and more wealthy and people from there will become more arrogant. Aussies got uncomfortable with the high inflow from the chinese (and to certain extend, indians) hence the raising the bar of IETLS make it more difficult for them to migrate. I think this could be a good thing as too many of them will deteriote the quality of life in OZ and everywhere you go become 'mini-chinatown' which can get pretty scary as all of the sudden you'll become the prime target of hatred (as we look the same as 'them').