• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gems from the old SBF Emigration Threads

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal mentioned in another thread that the old SammyBoy Forum contained good advice on emigration.

I started this thread to port over the gems from those threads to here.

It cannot be a one man effort, or rather it should not, as the effort is hugh. So if you are willing to help, it will be great. At the least, i will port over some of the gems, time permits.

Gems from the next post onwards.

Cheers

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia - Cost of living

For a full run down of grocery prices in the eight capital cities visit the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

Tips to save money at the supermarket

* Shop from a list
* Look for discounted foods such as fresh bread and meat
* Don't shop on an empty stomach
* Buy no-name brand items
* Buy only what you need for meals
* Buy fruit and vegetables in season
* Save leftovers
* Ditch the second car and use public transport
* Do a "needs versus wants" analysis when budgeting
* Use lay-bys
* Don't give into hype and temptation
* Pay household bills on a regular basis

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20080731-Australian-house-prices-to-fall-10-in-the-next-year-.html

Australian house prices to fall 10% in the next year

Thursday, 31 July 2008

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24010350-661,00.html

July 13, 2008

Melbourne recession fear as property hit

PROPERTY values in Melbourne and every state have slumped, with more than 50 per cent of Australian homes losing value last month.

Question:
any advise on cheap accomodation, preferably with cooking facility ( to save on food costs ) and close to Melbourne CBD,to stay during this recce trip? we're there on a mission to find a home to in a safe suburb to BUY ( Any reccomendations? I have in mind KEW, CAMBERWELL, CARLTON, BRUNSWICK, DOCKLANDS, SOUTHBANK, ETC BASICALLY WITHIN 10KM OF CBD OUTSKIRTS), so overpriced "holiday-style-accomodation" is last thing in our minds.

Answers:

re houses are unaffordable. Let's do the maths for myself, a single male. The median price in Melbourne for an average home is about $450,000. After tax I take home $44,798. So based on a 10% interest rate, that would leave me with $202 spending money for the YEAR! Let's say I'm really, REALLY lucky and get an old 2br unit for $300,000. With an allowance of 10% for interest rates I'm still paying 67% of my NETT earning on a mortgage. Housing is unaffordable.

burwood best suburbs..40mins tram ride to city....

U might need to budget renting a car. Melbourne is big so you can't use a common agent to source for houses in different suburb for you. Each suburb has its own terrority agent serving the community in that area, and open house is pre-fixed at specific time for viewing. Its a daunting task to rely on trams to all the locations as you might be spending alot of time and energy to move from houses to houses. This is my view.

i dont think the word "cheap" can apply to australia. anyone interested in venturing in australia must have a deep pocket and be prepared for getting very little in return. hotels and any other service in australia will cost you a bomb. consider any repairs or services you might need to purchase in australia on a contingency basis for it will shock you later. the costs will make your eyes pop out.

Congratz on the taking the leap of faith, many of us don't dare to.

I myself have been to melbourne, and decide to move back to Singapore.

Unfortunately, there is probably no houses that is A$200 to A$300 near town, that is of livable conditions.

if you need reasonable accomodation, perhaps you might want to try to negotiate with some of the motel owners for a long term stay. It may not be much more than what you are prepared to pay for.

Some of the areas where i know some of these motels are....

Chadstone (about 20min form town) and Malvern (15 min)

As for buying a place, it is quite obvious that the housing prices in Melbourne (and Australia) are coming down (or going to start coming down) i would suggest that you rent a place to stay for the time being.

Otherwise, usual Asian communities are in Doncaster, Box Hill, Clayton wheelers' hill (if you are loaded) If you don't mind living in a more Aussie centric area, try Kew, Malvern... heaps of others to choose from.

If you have kids, you might want to spend a little bit more, get a house within the school zone. That will help a lot.

If you and and wife are yuppies and have to live near town.. well.... toorak, brighton beach, southbank, elwood beach all have very nice apartments / houses, but be prepared to pay a lot of money for them as well.

Most imporantly, if you have friends who is staying there now, look them up and ask them for help. Local knowledge is way better than bashing thru this on you own.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mercier's 2008 Cost of Living Index

• Asia
      • Tokyo, Japan (2nd)
      • Seoul, South Korea (5th)
      • Hong Kong, China (6th)
      • Osaka, Japan (11th)
      • Singapore, Singapore (13th)
  • Americas
      • New York City, US (22nd)
      • São Paulo, Brazil (25th)
      • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (31st)
      • Toronto, Canada (54th)
      • Los Angeles, US (55th)
  • Europe, Middle-East, Africa
      • Moscow, Russia (1st)
      • London, UK (3rd)
      • Oslo, Norway (4th)
      • Copenhagen, Denmark (7th)
      • Geneva, Switzerland (8th)
Cost of Living In Migration Destinations Relative to Singapore
Highest Cost first
  • Singapore (2008:13; 2007:14) (Index 109.1; New York 100.0)
  • Sydney (2008:15; 2007:21) (Index 104.1)
  • Melbourne (2008:36; 2007:64) (Index 94.2)
  • Toronto, Vancouver, Perth, New Zealand cities are NOT listed in the top 50 most expensive cities in the world for 2008.
  • The top 21 cities are more expensive than New York because this index's base city is New York.

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Good idea. Happy to help but any more craps from the rubbish cockroach here and I'm not coming into the emigration forum again.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia - Cost of Living

The $3 coke for 500ml is normally at cafes etc. Go to Coles or Safeway. Sometimes, they do have offer where the 2litre coke is $1.99

If you need plain water during your holidays, head for the bottled water area in Coles or Safeway. You can get the 1.5l housebrand water for less than $1.

Don't grab the Mount Franklin you see displayed prominently, they cost around $2 for 500ml bottle

Coke was 0.48cts 3 weeks ago.

Today Herald Sun,a bottle of wine for A$2.00 at Dan Murphy.

You can search on the web for all the prices, don't read too much shits from those DOGs.

Vending machines always cost more. shop at supermarkets, some are cheaper than others. Many international students shop at Aldi.
Bread rolls are cheap, sandwiches are expensive. etc.
Note: I don't consider 'coke' as essential. water is.

See for yourself. Eating out is more expensive than Singapore since there are no hawker centers here.

If you cook yourself, its much cheaper than Spore as the meat prices here (beef, pork and chicken) is much cheaper than Spore.

BTW, unlike Spore the GST is levied on processed items only (those marked with an asterisk in the attached receipt) ie no GST on fresh produce.

hi bro.. u are wrong. the meat and veggies in singapore are cheaper ..

here a bunch of chilli padi(5 stalks) is $1 aud
here 500grams of pork loin is average $6 aud
5 bunches of cai xin is $1 - $1.20aud.
4 kiwi fruits $2 aud
shallots/ginger are way more expensive here.
eggs is ard $3.00 for a dozen.
asian groceries here are very expensive
those japanese biscuits/chocs are twice as much as singapore.

i belive singapore is cheaper

eating out is way more expensive than singapore, in singapore u can get $3 chicken rice/wonton mee etc..cheap food for lunch/dinner here is ard $7-$9 for asian food. restaurants in singapore are much cheaper in sg too(most places do go set lunches at below $30sgd). and i juz got ripped off eating at the so called best spanish rest in melb.. i spent $90 aud for lunch eating food that is not up to quality.

Mac donalds here is 5.95aud for a big mac meal( note the small drinks here are smaller than the small in singapore)

and coke is more expensive here. MORE than $2aud for a 2 litre bottle.(coke is seldom on sale in most supermarkets here)

the only cheap drinks are some aussie lemonade stuff or schweppes..which goes for ard $1.50 aud at coles. In singapore a bottle of Heaven & Earth jasmine tea is $1.50 1.5litre at ntuc on sale(most of the time this price). Lipton green tea bottled 1.5-2litre? is $2.20 and above at coles.

that to say im not working in aussie but a student here in melbourne cbd.

juz for info to make comparison to sg and check out the prices of the meat and eggs in sg market. its expensive if u do all the conversion to 1 aud to 1.3 sgd. thanks

here a bunch of chilli padi(5 stalks) is $1 aud - generally more expensive in winter

here 500grams of pork loin is average $6 aud - I would be very surprised if pork is cheaper in Spore. Spore imports pork from Australia.

5 bunches of cai xin is $1 - $1.20aud. - this is not that bad

4 kiwi fruits $2 aud - you paid too much

shallots/ginger are way more expensive here. - Agreed. They are also seasonal though

eggs is ard $3.00 for a dozen. - depending on the size. I would say eggs are generally same price as Spore

I can sympathise with overseas students in OZ. When I was studing here in the 80's the SGD/AUS exchange rate was 2.1 to 1. Yet I managed to keep my annual expenses to below $6k per year. I still had the luxury of the occasional Yum Cha, Buller or Falls Creek ski trips and movies. This was achieved without any part time work. I only worked one summer and managed to buy a 7 year old Toyota corolla with the wages.

You must have realised the retail channel here is not very efficient. Prices varies from shop to shop and you must shop around for the best prices. Unlike Spore where grocery prices are "dictated" by NTUC Fairpice and the prices do not vary that much in other shops across the island. Coles and Safeway here are not necessary the cheapest places to do grocery shopping.

Any imported stuff will be expensive and that is true in any country. As a overseas student, one of the most useful skill you will learn is to be adaptable. Try to buy what is grown and produced locally and is abundant and cheap. Eat brocholli or cauliflower instead of kang kong or kai lan. Carrots, tomatoes, potatoes are all very cheap here. Buy from Victoria market in the afternoon where they slash prices to clear inventory. For Asian groceries, go to Richmond or Springvale where there are multiple shops are competing for customers.

the prices of the meats fruits and vegetables are from victoria market FYI. only the price of coke and other stuff are frm coles.

i have to agree broccoli is cheap here compared to singapore. but the price of eggs and fowl products is much more expensive here.

but the good thing is here got more chiobu than sinkapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some General Tips from Old Neddy (not Old SBF)

In general, buy vegetables and fruits that are in season. Eg now summer, apricots, peaches, avocado etc are cheap. Chinese and western medical journals also believe in the benefits of eating in-season food.

If you want fresh produces, get from IGA or the markets.

For me, I get freshest from my garden :biggrin:
When darling say, I need chives to make Dim Sim (Dim Sum) I just go garden to cut (They grow back in 2-3 weeks) Same for chillies, bok choi, winter greens (salad), avacados, tomatoes (cherry tomatoes easier to grow, no need good soil), etc

The only thing cannot grow in my garden is Ginger. Very essential for Chicken rice. That is grown in QLD. Cost $12-20/kg because QLD supply ginger to the Japanese market.

Eating your own grown organic market produces are satisfying. It is also satisfying if you find out the insects also join in to eat, provided it is not the last one you are saving for dinner.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia - Cost of Living

i have to agree broccoli is cheap here compared to singapore. but the price of eggs and fowl products is much more expensive here.

but the good thing is here got more chiobu than sinkapore.

When Perth is booming, all groceries from Woolies and Coles are relatively more expensive than Singapore. I prefer IGA and the local markets.

Then I went to Hongkong and found out the prices there are not cheap too.
(Eg Eggs) I felt better. :biggrin:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some General Tips from Old Neddy (not Old SBF)

In general, buy vegetables and fruits that are in season. Eg now summer, apricots, peaches, avocado etc are cheap. Chinese and western medical journals also believe in the benefits of eating in-season food.

If you want fresh produces, get from IGA or the markets.

For me, I get freshest from my garden :biggrin:
When darling say, I need chives to make Dim Sim (Dim Sum) I just go garden to cut (They grow back in 2-3 weeks) Same for chillies, bok choi, winter greens (salad), avacados, tomatoes (cherry tomatoes easier to grow, no need good soil), etc

The only thing cannot grow in my garden is Ginger. Very essential for Chicken rice. That is grown in QLD. Cost $12-20/kg because QLD supply ginger to the Japanese market.

Eating your own grown organic market produces are satisfying. It is also satisfying if you find out the insects also join in to eat, provided it is not the last one you are saving for dinner.

An alternative to growing your own vegetables would be to buy from a wholesale market (find out which one is the closest to your subrub). You have to buy in bulk however. Would be good if you have a large family.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An alternative to growing your own vegetables would be to buy from a wholesale market (find out which one is the closest to your subrub). You have to buy in bulk however. Would be good if you have a large family.

unfortunately, I do not eat that much :biggrin:

and the sedentary lifestyle is giving me problem. I need fresh air and exercise.

the wholesale markets are fine, but it operates on restricted hours because it is more of a "compulsary" service to the public.

But I was told, once in a while, there is a chance of finding some rotten stuff at the bottom of the carton. Not sure true or not.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contrasting Australia with New Zealand - Part 1

Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 22 June 2008
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4592585a19716.html

Kiwi migrants to Melbourne, for example, can read the newspaper as though it's a novel, its fanciful descriptions of gang wars and restaurant assassinations, corrupt police passing names of police informers to gangland contacts, who call in the hitmen.

Even as you shrug off the language differences as background noise thongs for jandals, doona for duvet, a child's fluffy is a babycino, you will smile at the Italian grandmothers who stop polishing their iron railings to run a wrinkled hand under a three-year-old's chin and thrust a gold coin into the mother's hand. "She is beautiful. Buy her something with this."

At the large neighbourhoods of those who still regard themselves as Italians and Greeks even though their grandparents left those cultures behind when they were barely out of their teens.

So, at Easter, the local baker sells specialties like melomakarona (walnut cookies drenched in syrup) and kourabiethes (moonshaped almond shortbreads covered in icing sugar). And all year round, locals go to the brilliant tapas bars in the alleys which produce their own top-selling cookbooks, and the farmers' markets sell beef you can trust the rural folk have known it since it was a calf.

These are reasons to move to Melbourne, to Australia. The food, the warmer weather, the broader multiculturalism.

Just don't expect it to be cheap.

Despite salaries reported to be 25 per cent higher on average, middle-income professionals won't earn that much more than in New Zealand in the same job, says Kiwi lawyer Jo Davidson. She's been Tasman-hopping moving to Melbourne, then back to Wellington, before returning last year to Australia to a dream job.

She loves the gourmet food in and around the city. And for her, the weather is a relief. The summer in Melbourne is warm, the seasons actually change, it's always dawning fine and even when it rains, it's gentle.

She didn't return for the money, though. "I felt significantly better off when I moved back from Melbourne to New Zealand. As a single woman [in Australia] I would never have contemplated buying a house. I went back to New Zealand and within six months bought my own home."
Food, she says, is also much more expensive in Australia. Everyday items such as milk and bread will cost you more. Woolworths' chief executive even admitted to a national inquiry that the company charges shoppers more in Australia than in New Zealand.

"And the quality at supermarkets is appalling. I used to be able to go to New World in Wellington and buy every single thing I wanted, and it was delicatessen standard."

Even if your pay packet is larger, the money quickly disappears. Teacher Mike Arthur, who recently moved from Wellington, says he earns about $4000 more than in New Zealand. "But the higher cost of living here eats that up."

Houses and cars are the big unaffordables. Advertised prices do not include tens of thousands of dollars in stamp duty when buying a house or vehicle. "Our car was far more expensive here, and then we had to pay stamp duty on it, plus about $700 to register it," says Arthur.
Some things cost less. Furniture because of superstores like Ikea and electricity (80 per cent generated from coal, the green-minded should note) are far cheaper, he says.

Presuming you don't earn less than $A25,000 ($31,100) taxes are not too different from New Zealand - about $2500 less in Australia on average but 9 per cent of wages is taken for compulsory superannuation, a figure hidden in the salary packages that lure unsuspecting Kiwis across the Tasman (salary "packaging" to cut your tax burden is big business). Tough if you wanted to pay off the mortgage first.

That's if you can afford to buy. To live within 4km of Melbourne's centre, expect to pay well over $600,000 for a house. The house will be semi-detached, unrenovated, have a tiny courtyard and probably be next to a big highway.

If you can't afford to buy, finding lower-end rental accommodation may be difficult, with an inner-city rental crisis in Melbourne. Chris and Carly, who just moved over from New Zealand, told the Age newspaper they had "been to four inspections in four days. The perception from home is that there are plenty of places to rent, but when you get to a place, 30 people turn up".

Renters are being forced to offer more rent to beat the competition, or pay eight weeks in advance instead of four.

If you are going to go, do it when you don't have kids. Mother-of-one Jocelyn Prasad, who moved to Sydney last year from Auckland, says life in Australia seems harder for families. "If you're single, there's a lot more opportunity. I think the higher cost of living really kicks in when you bring a family here."

She's also found that private schools are not just a luxury for the privileged. Kiwis who would never dream of using anything but the local high school at home, scrimp and save to avoid the Australian government school system and put their child through private education.
Education experts such as Richard James, director of Melbourne University's Centre for the Study of Higher Education, says the middle class here has lost confidence in government schools and moved its children to private schools, blaming funding cuts and closures under the previous state government.

In Victoria, last year, only 58 per cent of Year 12 students went to state government schools (which often lack sports fields and language options). Private school fees are often higher than in New Zealand.
It pays to go private. Seven out of 10 Melbourne University students were recruited from private or academically selective government schools, according to an Age survey of 2006 Year 12 students.

And the quality education quest starts early. In parts of Melbourne, even to get on a kindergarten waiting list you have to pay $A100 ($125). School waiting list fees can top $800. And forget picturing your kids growing up running under the sprinkler. Thanks to water restrictions, the grass definitely won't be greener for them.

New Zealanders moving to Australia should not expect a vastly better public health system for themselves or their children.
Children don't get free health care. To take a three-year-old to a GP in some parts of Melbourne, it can cost more than $80 upfront, with medicine extra. The health system means the government sends a $41 rebate cheque some weeks later.

Newspaper stories tell of ambulances having to wait 90 minutes to drop patients off at hospitals because of the lack of beds, and women miscarrying in the hospital toilet as they wait to be seen in the emergency department.

In the second half of last year, around 85,000 people waited in emergency departments without treatment for four hours, and 45,000 failed to be admitted to hospitals within eight hours, says the most recent "Your Hospitals" report.

And it's likely to get worse.

Families earning more than $A100,000 or singles earning over $A50,000 have to pay an extra levy to the government (around 1 per cent of their taxable income on top of the standard 1.5 per cent levy) if they don't have private health insurance. This amounts to at least $50 a week for a small family.

And the new federal government is planning to increase the income threshold, meaning an estimated two million Australians will no longer pay for private insurance and will switch to public hospitals.
Premiums are predicted to go up, and older people the biggest users will in turn drop their health insurance as they become unable to afford the premiums. Currently, the private system carries out 56 per cent of elective surgery, including 60 per cent of major joint surgery which has one of the longest waiting lists in the public sector.

Meanwhile, Australia's economy faces all the same pressures as New Zealand's. For the first time since 2000, households and businesses hit by the highest borrowing costs in 12 years have cut spending.
Petrol costs are still rising. Interest rates are predicted to keep rising as the central bank tries to rein in inflation pushed up by booming iron and coal prices and planned tax cuts.

Rate rises are biting. In parts of Sydney, up to 7 per cent of indebted households are now behind in their mortgage payments. And council rates, as in New Zealand, are on the increase, Melbourne homeowners reportedly facing a 6.5 per cent rise next year.

In Melbourne, the housing market has slowed, which is bad for sellers but good for prospective buyers. Housing finance to owner-occupiers has fallen by 4.9 per cent. Most prices are flat or falling. In a city where most homes were sold at auction, clearance rates have plummeted.
Those still thinking of making the move should note that the jobs market is predicted to soften considerably. Last week's GDP figures, although stronger than expected, have confirmed fears that Australia's economy has entered a slowdown.

Growth slowed from 4.3 per cent to 3.6 per cent. A survey of 800 business executives last week found 20 per cent expected to have fewer employees in the coming quarter, and the number of job ads is falling.
New Zealanders toasting the fact they're still at home could pour a Victoria Bitter, Australia's number one beer. A six-pack is more than $5 cheaper in New Zealand.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contrasting Australia with New Zealand - Part 2

COMPARE AND CONTRAST
(All figures NZ dollars unless indicated)

Take-home pay: on $80,000: you pay taxes of $22,470 in NZ; $20,332 in Australia. Your wages are also docked 9 per cent super, which you get back when you retire $7200 a year. Effectively, $27,532 is taken from your pay packet. On $120,000: $38,070 in NZ; $36,920 in Australia. And private health insurance $2485 in NZ; $2040 in Australia and 9 per cent super $10,800. Effectively, $50,205 is taken from your pay packet.

Medicare levy: Resident taxpayers pay 1.5 per cent of their taxable income to fund it. Those earning more than $100,000, or singles on $50,000-plus, pay an additional surcharge of 1 per cent if they do not have private health insurance. Doctors' fees for children: in New Zealand, up to $15; in Australia, $A84 upfront, $41 after a rebate.

Buying a house: Stamp duty is a general tax imposed on certain title transfers, including homes and cars, and varies from state to state. The buyer usually pays. The money is used to fund education, health, law and order, and public safety. On a $687,000 ($A550,000) purchase, you pay more than $37,500 in all sorts of taxes, fees and charges, about $31,000 ($A25,000) in stamp duty, then $1704 ($A1400) as a mortgage tax, and $4874 ($A4000) insurance and fees. ANZ variable mortgage rate in NZ 10.95 per cent; in Australia 9.47 per cent.

Renting: With an inner-city rental crisis in Melbourne, vacancy rates within 4km of the city centre have dropped to 0.3 per cent - three empty rental properties for every 1000. To rent a reasonable three-bedroom apartment near the sea: in New Zealand $600; in Australia $974.90 ($A800).

Car prices: 1995 Toyota Corolla, 150,000-190,000km in Australia $9626 ($A7900) plus $246 stamp duty; in NZ $3900. Vehicle stamp duty in Victoria is $5 per $200 on a car worth up to $57,009, and $10 per $200 on more expensive cars; not applicable in NZ. Annual registration fee for a light vehicle in Victoria $575; New Zealand $183. Petrol per litre, central Melbourne $2.12 ($A1.70); in central Auckland $2.12.

Education: Private school fees in Australia $21,661 ($A17,775) at Methodist Ladies College; in NZ $15,075 at Diocesan School for Girls. Daycare and kindergarten have non-refundable waiting list fees (place not guaranteed) in Australia of $125 per site; not applicable in New Zealand.

Having a baby: Free in New Zealand, midwife assigned, free GP visits, private rooms available to all at about $250 a night. Free in Australia, mother has to visit the hospital or a combination of a GP and hospital. Extra GP visits at normal price. Scans about $100 each. Only public rooms available, with average of three mothers per room. No single health care professional assigned. Private care with health insurance usually costs around $4874 ($A4000), extra for costs above private insurance cover. Maternity payments, in New Zealand, 14 weeks at $391.28 = $5477; in Australia, a lump sum of $5189 ($A4258).

Eating and drinking: 2 litre housebrand milk in New Zealand $3.06, in Australia $3.38. Molenberg Energy Plus bread in NZ $3.99, in Australia $4.93. Victoria Bitter six-pack in NZ $10.65; in Australia $15.83 ($A12.99).

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
From those who do not want Singaporeans to migrate to Australia

Questions:

1) if australia's high taxes are supposed to cover health care, why does the ATO levy an additional 1% levy if you dont have private cover when earn more than 50K?

2) if you have free health care, why do you need private hospital cover?

3) why do these private health coverages cost so much?

4) why are waiting times to get health care so long in australia?

5) why are cars 3X the price of the US?

6) why is petrol so much cheaper in the US? why is australia petrol so much higher?

7) why is food so much higher in australia than the US?

8) how come the US has so many cheap houses and prices are falling when the opposite is true of australia?

9) how come the US allows you to deduct mortgage interest on your primary home on your taxes and australia does not?

10) how come labor/services is 300% higher in australia than th US?

11) how come 2.5 million people applied to become citizens in the US last year when Australia only saw a small increase?

12) how come there is a 10% GST in australia when the GST in the US is much lower, and several states have no tax at all!!

13) how come wages in australia are not as high as the US?

14) how come 30-40% of your income is required to pay a housing loan in australia?

15) how come it takes 104K to pay for a 431K home in australia?

16) how come variable interest rates on property have exceeded 10% in australia when the US is less than half?

17) how come the planning councils in america are efficient and release land for development at a timely pace when the opposite is true in australia

18) how come there is a "good" housing crisis in america and a "bad" housing crisis in australia?

19) how come airfares from australia are so high? why is it australians pay as much to fly 8 hours as americans pay to fly 18 hours?

20) why are clothes costs so high in australia? why is it the americans sell themselves timberland shoes for $30 and charge australians $200 for the same product?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Questions:

1) if australia's high taxes are supposed to cover health care, why does the ATO levy an additional 1% levy if you dont have private cover when earn more than 50K?

6) why is petrol so much cheaper in the US? why is australia petrol so much higher?

8) how come the US has so many cheap houses and prices are falling when the opposite is true of australia?

9) how come the US allows you to deduct mortgage interest on your primary home on your taxes and australia does not?

11) how come 2.5 million people applied to become citizens in the US last year when Australia only saw a small increase?

12) how come there is a 10% GST in australia when the GST in the US is much lower, and several states have no tax at all!!

14) how come 30-40% of your income is required to pay a housing loan in australia?

16) how come variable interest rates on property have exceeded 10% in australia when the US is less than half?

17) how come the planning councils in america are efficient and release land for development at a timely pace when the opposite is true in australia

18) how come there is a "good" housing crisis in america and a "bad" housing crisis in australia?

19) how come airfares from australia are so high? why is it australians pay as much to fly 8 hours as americans pay to fly 18 hours?

20) why are clothes costs so high in australia? why is it the americans sell themselves timberland shoes for $30 and charge australians $200 for the same product?

If you cant afford Oz, then dont go. Its not cheap you know. If you want low costs then dont go. If you want 3 cars for one cars, go to America. Its not hard people.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
From those who do not want Singaporeans to migrate to Australia - Part 2

Rebuttals to the questions posted in the earlier post:

Firstly I am surprised that the OZ guys can't explain their system better while you guys are not comparing apples with apples, telling lies or have no clue what is hapenning in the US.

Medical

Universal Coverage

Every citizen and PR is completely covered by medical coverage. There are no ifs an buts. In such a system, there are always delays due to volume but once treatment begins, you get the full medical attention except your ward accommodation is not A class. In addition, there is carer's allowance and if closest family member is overseas, an economy class fare is made available to come over and again on carer's allowance.

In fact the best medical diagnostic tools are in public hospitals as a matter of course.

Private Insurance Coverage

If you want A class, the option of chosing your own doctor and private hospital and treatment with no delay for non life threatening events, you can opt for private health insurance which will completely cover you. 1/3 of the premium is covered by Govt. There are options where you lower your premium to get B class ward etc. There is no delay in this system compared to any other country.

The delays that are mentioned refers to public system for matters that are not life threatening such as hip replacement etc. (just sit down and wait your turn)

Education

Every citizen and PR will not be denied a place if they have the score in any tertiary institution of their choice including the best. School fees will be covered by HECs which will be repaid as and when they begin a career and start drawing a salary.

The US does not even come close at all to both Australian Medical and Education

General Expenses

Australian expenses have shot up compared to the US because of China economy driving the OZ mining boom. Thats inflation for you. The Australian dollar has however moved from all time low of 48 cents to the dollar to over 90cents reducing the US dollar by nearly half. Thats progress for you.

Yes, the Aussies are eating dear food stuff, dear cars, dearer consumables and I guess inflation is an arse on anyone. Then again, it OZ is having 30 year low on unemployement.

In the scheme of things, once you have a roof over your head, there only 2 things that you have worry about for your family and you - your health and your childern's education. No Australian or its PR will not be denied on both these matter even if they do not have a penny to their name.

You comment about no one will be turned from a hospital in the US is dishonest. The US has many pluses and is a massive engine of growth for the world. Its probabaly one of the best countries in the world. However if you cannot afford to pay for health and education, there is only you and the soup kitchen.

There is reason why more people migrate to OZ and it is certainly not becasue of the Kangaroos.

Most aussies don't pay the 1% and private health is not compulsory at all. For those guys who pay high taxes it makes little difference.

The beautiful thing about the country is that if you have the misfortune of getting ill or losing a job, the welfare umbrella is amazing thus the high tax regime. Your kids will never be denied an education that merits their qualifiaction and the family can sleep nights knowing that a medical treatment is always available.

Its an egalitarian society so the taxes helps to level the playing field and I guess its a philosophy that they are comfortable with.

Anyway, don't kill yourself worrying about Singaporeans who move to OZ.

It certainly is better than Singapore.

If they decide to down tools and sleep all day, swig wine and beer, the system can handle it. Their kids can still make it Uni without a dime in their pockets.

Singaporeans cannot talk about safety nets, quality of life, freedom of expression, nationhood, common societal goals, participating in elections, bright future outlook, secind chances, choices in education and lifestyle etc.

One day Singaporeans will wake up to realise that being born a singaporean entitles you to NS and nothing else.

We Australian can walk in to New Zealand anytime n anyday. If drought in Australia,we'll run over to New Zealand.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Questions:

And if you make more than 60K, then pay the bloody 1%. What's the big deal? 40% taxes cant cover every expense. If you want cheap travel, dont go to Australia too.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia - Immigration Issues

Note: the laws may have changed by now

Question 1: deleted in original<DELETED original in>

Answer:

yes, you are right about the 50% children rule. In migration terms, we refer to as 'the 'balance of family' test. To pass this test:
  • at least half of the parent's children must live in Australia; or
  • more children must live in Australia than any other single country
The above is one of the requirement u need to satisfy b4 making a valid application.

Question 2: want to bring my bro-in-laws over to australia to work. as we are still PRs here, how can we go about to apply visa for them, even work permits?

Answer 2: You mentioned "bring my bro-in-laws over to australia to work", can I assume you are employing him to work in your business? In this case, there are a few avenues which you can consider but due to your limited info. I can provide you with the following visa class for u to look at.
1. Visa Subclass 457 Business (Long Stay) - This visa provides for long-term entry from 3 months to 4 yrs for people with business interest or employment in Australia.

For more details on this visa class you can always go to www.immi.gov.au

Question 3:

one question about RRV

if a PR has made initial visit to Australia within a year of obtaining PR visa, but only visit 2 weeks for the next 2 years. He has 2 years left before PR expires.

Is he able to secure a Resident Return Visa after his PR expires?

This person is an accountant holds a Australian CPA, but working in Singapore.

Answer 3:

You can have a look at the below link:
[URL="http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/95documents.htm"]http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/95documents.htm[/URL]

It should solve most of your queries

Question 4: sell curry puffs while son study?

Answer 4:

I presume your business interest of selling curry puffs and cakes in canteen or nearby town is referring to Business Skills migration.

If so, you would not be able to satisfy the requirement under this caterogry. Just to list a few criteria:
  • you must have an overall successful business career;
  • annual turnover of the business - at least $500,000
  • business and personal assets of at least $500,000, that are lawfully acquired
Another option you can consider is to wait for your son to graduate so that he can sponsor u.

Question 5:

My son is going to study in Brisbane starting July 08. It is a 3 year degree course...Bachelor of Commerce majoring in accounts and finance and banking.

It has been his plan to eventually emigrate to Australia after he graduates. As he has no prior work experience, will he still be able to apply for PR?

Answer 5:

Yes, he can.

He is currently holding a Subclass 573 Higher education sector visa which is valid for the duration of his course.

Upon his completion, he is eligible to apply for a Skilled- independent overseas student visa.

He must apply while he is in Australia and must do so within six months of completing his Australian educational qualification.

Applicants for this visa do not have to have work experience in a skilled occupation.

Last edited:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia - Immigration Issues Part 2

Note: The laws may have changed so please doublecheck

Question: can I bring my parents over even if I do not meet the minimum requirement of >50% siblings in ozzie?

Can I use that my parents are not taken care by my siblings and they need me to take care of them? Or there are other ways that u can share?

Answer: There is a better solution..

in order to allow your parents into the country.. 1st sponsor your siblings fulfill the 50% mark.. pending their skills and profession, if approved.. get them to stay for 3 mths for holidays.. finally apply for parents..

Question:

I hold a TR and my wife is a PR of OZ. Our son was born in sydney recently but we live outside OZ. My wife stays in OZ for about 3 - 4 months a year. I go there once or twice a year for about 2-3 weeks. We have propserties in Syd and Perth under wife's name.

What is my chance to get a PR? and how long will the immigartion start checking on me? How about my wife's chance to renew her PR? She has just renewed her PR in Oct 2007. I got mine at about the same time. My current job is still paying quite nice so we don;t have plan to work in OZ. However we want have OZ PR just in case. What should we do to increase our chances to keep OZ's residenceship

Answer:

note: cannot seem to find a reply to this...

Question:

can my wife move over with me to Australia if i study?

Answer:

Hi..saw your msg in regards to your spouse accompanying you in Australia while you study your MBA.

Your spouse is allow to stay with you while you study. I have provided you with the following link.
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/bringing_family/index.htm

Hope this helps..

Question:

After taking my course for a few years, is it possible to apply for PR then?

Answer:

Yes, upon completing your course (minimum of 2yrs course duration) you are eligible to apply for PR.

Please note that you are require to apply within 6 months of your graduation to be exempted from the 'working experience' requirement.

Question:

IS there a age restriction on taking up any university courses.

Answer 1:

No age limit to study.

To apply for PR got to be below 45.

Both you and your wife can work during your course. 20hrs/week each.

School holiday time work as much as you like.

Answer 2:

I came across ur post and would like to contribute the following to the discussion

a) If u are enrolled in a Masters or PHD course, ur wife can work unlimited hours

b) If u intend to get PR after ur Masters, u will need 120 points to qualify (unless u have a close relative to sponsor ya) , the Aussie Govt has made it pretty difficult to accumulate these points ( unless u have their required skill set, im not sure if MBA qualifies for the full 60 points can check it out at the DIMA website

Answer 3:

However if your objective is to obtain a PR in Australia, please ensure that the course you will be undertaking will allow you to achieve the 60 points for the skill assessment.

The Aussie governemnt is constantly revamping the system so the requirments will probably change in 3 years time.

If u previously did a degree in Australia, it will be easier. All u need to do is to do a Masters in a field thats under the demand list and u can qualify for the maximum points allocated towards the education criteria.

From what I understand, u and ur wife can work a max of 20 hrs per week

if u choose to undertake a Bachelors program. Also based on the current requirements u and ur wife will have to take the IELTS English test...ur wife will have to score a minimum of Band 6 while u will have to score a band 7 to take advantage of the 25 points towards ur skill assessment...

Its a huge decision my friend, think carefully before making this commitment. Australia is not the promised land it used to be, lots of social problems, not to mention skyhigh living expenses...

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Migration in General

Question:

hello bros

i still have a year left before i ord and i want to prepare myself to leave Singapore because of NS and this country's sorry state of affairs.
am having a diploma in mechatronics in aerospace engineering and i figured i wanna take the aircraft maintenance/engineering route. of course

i don't mind settling for a lower blue-collared jobs like repairman or plumber as i believe one's success depends on individualistic intelligence, performance, luck and hard work. i think i would like US very much.

is there any preparations i need to make before migrating? like visa qualifications/procedures or saving up thousands before taking flight?
oh ya is there any reliable job agencies which recommend foreign jobs and settle migration admin details?

Answer 1:

First thing to do is to decide where u want to go.

Than decide if your diploma is recognized or not.

If not, than find out what courses u need to upgrade it to a standard recognized by that countries regulatory board.

Go there and take the courses and while taking the courses see if they have an apprenticiship program.

Try and get an job offer before u leave or find a company that u have impressed enough to sponsor you.

Answer 2:

Hey, I am not sure if u ORD as a NSF or a regular.. If u are a NSF and no $$$$$ to go oversea to study, I suggest u start working ur experience by being in the aviation line. Some companies that are strong and will gain much experience is STAe or SASCO. They do a lot of AME stuff which will give u a good head start. After having experience, try ur luck with overseas companies. From what I know, many companies want experience ppl with CAAS certs so while working, get as many certs as possible on ur own (Company sponsor needs bond).

If u belong to the other 1, I have to tell u that the experience is not sort after. Unless u know ppl especially in HR, the company u want to apply.
This is what i know but then things might change. So all the best and good luck. :smile:

Answer 3:

Hi, If you like NZ, go to www.seek.co.nz for online job. Try to visit the country first. If you need further information on NZ, give me a ring.... Best wishes to you from NZ

Answer 4:

Hi, we go to NZ for interview for the job last year and within 1 week the job is confirmed. They like to interview face to face.
The email are from Agency? I think you should talk more to the agency to find out more about the job. Try to ask they to use Skype instead if possible.
If need to come NZ, take this time to visit here. Great place, great people..... here.

Answer 5:

FYI, we go through NZ Agency to do the connection with the local company. The local company will not seek overseas employee themselves but will work with the Agency.

For the work visa, it takes 14 working days. We take our work visa & student visa(our children) in NZ as Singapore immigration is very slow and it will takes more than 1 month. As long as your work permit is more than 24 months, you enjoy the social benefits. Once you have your work visa, you can apply for PR. I am getting my PR next month.

Your family can join you. Your children will have student visa and your wife will also have a work visa. For the school, the education is free.
What is your field? IT or Engineering? Made sure that if you come down NZ, you not only meet the Agency but also the company.