• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Galaxy S III better than iPhone5

copiuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me and my kopiuncle both have samsung and apple smart phones...we both support SAMSUNG! Number 1! just like my idol kopiuncle number one!

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple's coders imo are the best. The new iphone 5 is only dual-core, but the ios was written in such a way that it is very efficient with the chip and even all benchmarks outscores the quad-core galaxy s3 on ICS. Only when the S3 is in Jellybean, then it scores higher than iphone 5. Apple could have easily make them quad-cores, but choosed dual-cores to conserve battery.

Personally, i have used Galaxy S1 to S3 and have an ipad2 tablet. Love the android for the endless customisation, but love IOS for the insane amount of apps. The fragmentation problems of android has been blown out of proportion. If you buy the flagship model of any brands, almost all apps will be compatible when you need it. It is only when you purchase those lower-end non flagship model, then will have issues as developers do not support all variants.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple's coders imo are the best.

they're the best in the valley, so much so that samsung has to invest in expanding the r&d center north of cupertino just to be able to poach a few top notch talent from apple. they realize valley talent will not move to south korea. apple has the advantage of poaching the best coders and engineers from nearby chip designers and makers such as altera, broadcom, cypress, infineon, intel, qualcomm and texas instruments.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember years ago Steve Jobs mentioned that the advantage Apple had was that it is both a HW & SW company. This is unique & allows them to design phones with better integrated HW & SW.
Companies like Samsung are more of a hardware company & relies on Android for the OS. They might churn out lots of different phones but they can't provide good SW support.

The problem with android is fragmentation. There is no guarantee that an android SW will run properly with the different makes of android phones out there. There is also a problem with different versions of android from a single hardware manufacturer. How do you get a OS update in Android:confused: All iphone owners need to do is to connect to the iTunes store for the latest IOS upgrade.

So the easiest way to upgrade an android phone is to get a new phone :eek:

It means you never use andriod phone before and start to comment on it. Oh pls... google it if you are interested in knowing how andriod phones update itself. ( one tip: no need to plug in to anything at all)

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Apple's coders imo are the best. The new iphone 5 is only dual-core, but the ios was written in such a way that it is very efficient with the chip and even all benchmarks outscores the quad-core galaxy s3 on ICS. Only when the S3 is in Jellybean, then it scores higher than iphone 5. Apple could have easily make them quad-cores, but choosed dual-cores to conserve battery.

Personally, i have used Galaxy S1 to S3 and have an ipad2 tablet. Love the android for the endless customisation, but love IOS for the insane amount of apps. The fragmentation problems of android has been blown out of proportion. If you buy the flagship model of any brands, almost all apps will be compatible when you need it. It is only when you purchase those lower-end non flagship model, then will have issues as developers do not support all variants.

Now i know why i am perplexed when sinkies mentioned that andriod phone hangs a lot. I dun have such model cos most of my phone is always around $1k in price.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i can say that 1 app we take for granted in ios x other than 6 will be sorely missed. google maps. apple maps rely on tomtom mapping data, and there are flaws. that's all folks. :biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Andriod phone can always syn your contacts to google and retrieve it easily when you get a new phone.

Can apple have that?

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
hah.... nice ad from Samsung. Doubt it'll work on the apple fans though.

[video=youtube;nf5-Prx19ZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It means you never use andriod phone before and start to comment on it. Oh pls... google it if you are interested in knowing how andriod phones update itself. ( one tip: no need to plug in to anything at all)

The only smartphone that I've ever owned was an iPhone which I gave to someone after a few weeks.
It's just not me. I didn't need all the functionality.

When someone asked me for advice on which smartphone to get. I started my research because they only had a budget of $400 & were a tech newbie.

Read of the fragmentation problem & difficulty of getting an OS update. Even if you are not personally affected the problem does exist. This was why I narrowed my search to the Samsung brand.
However getting an OS update from a Samsung service centre would cost extra $ after the warranty & there is no guarantee if an update would be possible. I visited a Samsung service centre & asked them their policies & this is what they told me.

In the end I advised my friend to get a cheap(er) & older model iPhone. All Apple iPhones are quality products even the old models. One can get a cheaper brand new Samsung phone but it would be one of their "cheaper" models with all the potential problems e.g. poor build, etc

By the way if you purchase an App from the Apple Itune store & find out that it doesn't run on your iPhone. Apple will refund the cost of the purchase price. If you buy anything from the itune App store, they will always do a follow up email to ask about any problems:smile: Can anyone tell me if the android store has the same level of service:confused:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

When someone asked me for advice on which smartphone to get. I started my research because they only had a budget of $400 & were a tech newbie.

Read of the fragmentation problem & difficulty of getting an OS update. Even if you are not personally affected the problem does exist. This was why I narrowed my search to the Samsung brand.
However getting an OS update from a Samsung service centre would cost extra $ after the warranty & there is no guarantee if an update would be possible. I visited a Samsung service centre & asked them their policies & this is what they told me.

In the end I advised my friend to get a cheap(er) & older model iPhone. All Apple iPhones are quality products even the old models. One can get a cheaper brand new Samsung phone but it would be one of their "cheaper" models with all the potential problems e.g. poor build, etc

By the way if you purchase an App from the Apple Itune store & find out that it doesn't run on your iPhone. Apple will refund the cost of the purchase price. If you buy anything from the itune App store, they will always do a follow up email to ask about any problems:smile: Can anyone tell me if the android store has the same level of service:confused:

This reminds of a conversation I have with my friends about Iphone jail breaking. They were very adamant that jail breaking provides more functionality. Me, being cheeky said, "Why would I limit the capability if I get an iphone." They looked at me funny not understanding what I meant and keep insisting jail breaking is the way to do to get more out of your phone. If you get an iphone, and decide to do away with getting updates, new apps, integrations from apple, you are limiting its use! most people, "techie" actually think that being able to do more is a good thing. Most of the time, less is more. Why would I waste my time searching for updates, apply this and that manually. Sure, I get "free" apps, but they are not that expensive to begin with so why would I spend the energy and effort in doing this myself when a $1-5 itunes click will do? Why don't you just get an android phone that allows you to do that? Iphone has a market for consumers that doesn't want to tinker with their phone. If you are complaining how its walled off and restrict what you can do with it, then maybe you should start/get your own android phone somewhere.

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's the same theory as why people mod their car. iphone users only see it as a form of customization when they jailbreak their phone.

This reminds of a conversation I have with my friends about Iphone jail breaking. They were very adamant that jail breaking provides more functionality. Me, being cheeky said, "Why would I limit the capability if I get an iphone." They looked at me funny not understanding what I meant and keep insisting jail breaking is the way to do to get more out of your phone. If you get an iphone, and decide to do away with getting updates, new apps, integrations from apple, you are limiting its use! most people, "techie" actually think that being able to do more is a good thing. Most of the time, less is more. Why would I waste my time searching for updates, apply this and that manually. Sure, I get "free" apps, but they are not that expensive to begin with so why would I spend the energy and effort in doing this myself when a $1-5 itunes click will do? Why don't you just get an android phone that allows you to do that? Iphone has a market for consumers that doesn't want to tinker with their phone. If you are complaining how its walled off and restrict what you can do with it, then maybe you should start/get your own android phone somewhere.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, if you want customisation, get something else. How many modded BMWs, Mercs, Ferraris do you see out there? Versus Honda, Toyota, Hyundais?

it's the same theory as why people mod their car. iphone users only see it as a form of customization when they jailbreak their phone.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...Iphone has a market for consumers that doesn't want to tinker with their phone. If you are complaining how its walled off and restrict what you can do with it, then maybe you should start/get your own android phone somewhere.

Many consumers are only interested in a quality device which is fashionable & easy to use device. That's why iPhone are selling so well.

It's of course fun to quibble about the number of processors, RAM, etc but not everyone has the interest or time to fiddle with an "appliance" :wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point exactly, that a lot of "techie" think, just because they can do it, others should have no problem doing the same thing as well. Whats hilarious is that, if you say you won't do it, they think you are dumb not "modding" it.

Many consumers are only interested in a quality device which is fashionable & easy to use device. That's why iPhone are selling so well.

It's of course fun to quibble about the number of processors, RAM, etc but not everyone has the interest or time to fiddle with an "appliance" :wink:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Now HTC oso announce Windoze Phone...gonna wish em success...battle of 3 kingdom benefit us end user...:biggrin::biggrin:

Windows-Phone-8X-by-HTC-all-colors.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard that all the new 4G plans only have up to data bundle of 2GB. Imagine all that high speed which is used for d/ling HD videos which take up a lot of data but limited to only 2GB. So it's pointless to take up 4g in sg. I read that even though ip5 can use 4g networks but somehow it isn't compatible with sg's networks.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Not really the same as cars lah, iphone users jailbreak for the free apps.