• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Four months' jail for dodging NS

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_573343.html

Sep 1, 2010
Four months' jail for dodging NS
By Selina Lum

AT AGE 28, Goh Khim Siong has yet to serve a day of national service (NS).

He will, however, go through what Singaporean men nearly a decade younger go through - after serving his jail term for evading the draft.

He registered for NS in 2002, but was given deferments as a result of his appeals through various channels.

First, he asked for a deferment because of his polytechnic studies; and then, after dropping out, he said he had to work to support his family.

In August 2005, the Defence Ministry decided enough was enough and served him a notice to report for a medical review, but he failed to comply.

In the next five years, he evaded efforts by enlistment officers to nab him.

It was only in April this year that he was arrested. The Straits Times understands that he turned himself in at a police station.

Goh, who works as a supervisor in a courier company, pleaded guilty in June to evading NS and was fined $3,000 by a district court.

The prosecution appealed, arguing that he should be jailed for between three and six months.

He was jailed for four months yesterday.

Goh, who did not have a lawyer, tried to explain that he had to work to support his mother and a younger brother after his father left the family.

But this cut no ice with appeals judge V.K. Rajah, who told him he had wider responsibilities as a citizen and an overriding obligation to complete his NS.

The judge added: 'You may have been a dutiful son, but in law, that's not an excuse.'

He added that for male citizens, NS obligations have the highest priority, ahead of studies and personal reasons, and that he did not think individuals were in the position to decide independently not to enlist.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Eugene Lee told the court that between 2005 and last year, enlistment officers had gone to Goh's home several times but failed to find him.

Yesterday, Goh responded to this, saying he did not dodge them and that he had been living at home all the while and was unaware of the visits.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not just get him to serve his 2 years NSF and be done with that?

what would the jail sentence serve? what purpose?

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_573343.html
The judge added: 'You may have been a dutiful son, but in law, that's not an excuse.'

So if his family dropped dead, it's not the Government's concern. Their prerogative is to have you finish your sentence.

But "in law" we can accept road rage. So if anybody "drives dangerously and could cause you get hurt" you could assult him. The law accepts that as a valid excuse.

He added that for male citizens, NS obligations have the highest priority, ahead of studies and personal reasons, and that he did not think individuals were in the position to decide independently not to enlist.

So family? Lowest priority? What are we then defending if our loved ones have to go hungry?

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
how did he avoided conscription for 8 years? :confused:

The same bureaucracy of SAF of waiting for protocols after protocols; or pushing the buck around.

8 years the MPs and the unit could not track him ?
Never ask for Wong Kan Seng boys to sniff him out ?
Never check with IRAS on his bank accounts

8 years and this fella can leave a lot of trails to track and the boys in the SAF cannot think out of the box. This is getting absurd !

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the reason he could dodge for that long was simply because he was not worth the resources to be brought back.

Or maybe they put NSFs (MPs) in charge of bringing him back in. You know how NSFs does things...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the reason he could dodge for that long was simply because he was not worth the resources to be brought back.

Or maybe they put NSFs (MPs) in charge of bringing him back in. You know how NSFs does things...

NS has to begin with BMT. The physical limit cut-off age is 26 y. 6 m.

He's 28. Just fine him something or jail him sometime, depending on the power of his new passport, that's all.

Weekim

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not just get him to serve his 2 years NSF and be done with that?

what would the jail sentence serve? what purpose?

Damn it.. even with his 4mths jail sentence he would have served less than the 2.5years I did... some more now he can claim the $9k NS recognition award. I say this young man's delaying tactics really PAID off big time.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Defaulters should be castrated. Because they are not man to start off with:biggrin:. Only girls don't serve NS

Confirm rate of defaulters go down. Even 302s don't run from NS

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS has to begin with BMT. The physical limit cut-off age is 26 y. 6 m.

He's 28. Just fine him something or jail him sometime, depending on the power of his new passport, that's all.

I thought you specializes in the 'jao peng' cases?, you did not go to his house and ask him to check in at CMPB?, no wonder he said he was at home, and wasn't aware of anyone came to look for him.:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought you specializes in the 'jao peng' cases?, you did not go to his house and ask him to check in at CMPB?, no wonder he said he was at home, and wasn't aware of anyone came to look for him.:biggrin:

He's not the only case. There'd be others who never enlist and somehow, even in Singapore, avoided provost and police and are never arrested. Some with the means and determination abscond abroad never to return.

I've had a friend who did serve NSF till ROD but after that accumulated stacks of unattended SAF100 & IPPT call-ups and unpaid traffic summons, littering summons, arrest warrants etc...still happily driving around, working, gambling, drinking, singing, fighting etc. I was no longer in the force and it was none of my business. Frankly, even if I was still in the force, I'd have pretended I didn't know since he was childhood neighborhood friend.

Then one day, his gambling debts overwhelmed him. To escape from creditors, he took the whole stack went to a police station and surrendered. All cases combined, commuted to 6 months imprisonment, not even DB.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have another childhood neighborhood friend. When he was 16, he took a cleaver, chased his uncle out of the flat and around the block to chop him for no apparent reason. After 2 weeks in IMH, he was issued with an NS exemption certificate.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey,

I am loss for words but what I experienced is real. If I am nuts case, do you think that I can drive a taxi? Yes, I admitted once that I saw psychiatrist mainly because I was afraid they me lock me up for saying something during my reservist. When I told the doctor that I felt being followed, psychological imprisonment stuff, he diagnosed me with delusional disorder. The best part is I spent a lot of money on him and was given medicine that i not supposed to take. I can't even go back to reservist and enjoy happy hour with my mates.

You all won't understand the ordeal I went thru, I really suffered a lot. You guys may think it's impossible, why'd ISD want to do such thing to me? And why I wasn't arrested for trying to dick dirt out of them? Seriously, this time round, I decided to demand an explanation via my MP. I feel a sense of unbalance if I dun receive a decent explanation, it wasn't my fault and I am the victim. You can say that I am thick headed but again, I really suffered a lot emotionally. If possible, I may seek legal advise if only any lawyer will want to take up my case.:(
I know I stand no chance against gov agency but at least I will know the truth.

If they dare to do it, I hope they can admit to screwing my head once and caused my life to messed up. I am serious about it. Today, it makes no difference to me whether I will be jailed or not. Believe me, I have problem finding work and moving on. Ya,some of you may think because I am sick in the head, that's why I am unable to find proper work. But the case is not like that, when pple look at my CV, they will start to question me about why I left the consortium at ST. And I find it very difficult to explain. How to tell them that I was being saboed by Ho Kum Hean,whose father is ISD related? You tell me how??? I have no proof and pple tend to believe gov agency,right or not?

Finally, this time round, I am going all out to seek the truth. My friends and family dun believe what I told them, you think it's fun?
How about taking cab to work and taxi uncle tell you to be careful. Yo think it's fun???:mad:

yeah make sure you tell the doctors at Buangkok Green about your case, you nutcase

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Krafty, you usually post two lines or quote philosophies from elsewhere.

Now when you start with "loss for words" you write your own long and winding essay.

Your state of mind can be mindboggling to others.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ram, you won;t understand one lah... the reason why I am so persistent cos' i really suffered a lot. the reason i turn to drinking was to drown my sorrows...

If I dun seek the truth, one day, I might become a terrorist! Bearing grudges against my own country. I am not kidding.

I like to hear your views too if you can give me a pointer or two? Dun ask me to move on without knowing the truth.

Krafty, you usually post two lines or quote philosophies from elsewhere.

Now when you start with "loss for words" you write your own long and winding essay.

Your state of mind can be mindboggling to others.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ram, you won;t understand one lah... the reason why I am so persistent cos' i really suffered a lot. the reason i turn to drinking was to drown my sorrows...

If I dun seek the truth, one day, I might become a terrorist! Bearing grudges against my own country. I am not kidding.

Don't say such words. If I'm still in service, I may have to arrest you.

I like to hear your views too if you can give me a pointer or two? Dun ask me to move on without knowing the truth.

Relax, work your way and live your life. Have a drink but not too much.

"Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone...now walk on." - John Cougar Mellencamp (Jack And Diane from album American Fool)

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks, i know you'd say move on but i really felt a sense of imbalance, just like someone smacked you in the dark and you dun know who did it? And when I tell my friends about it, they dun believe, how'd you feel?

Don't say such words. If I'm still in service, I may have to arrest you.

Relax, work your way and live your life. Have a drink but not too much.

"Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone...now walk on." - John Cougar Mellencamp (Jack And Diane from album American Fool)