• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Former Sg National Champion Gymnast on YOG commetators silly mistakes and bluffing

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really good letter which nicely sumarises the really horrible coverage of the YOG. Incidentally even now, the schedule on Starhub is not accurate. sigh ...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=106184679437182&topic=25

My name is Alex L S Liang and I am a writing an official complaint about the commentators of the gymnastics event that accompanied the live broadcast. I am a former Singapore national champion gymnast (1993, 1996, 1997), a veteran of the sport and a journalist for the American gymnastics magazine International Gymnast and I currently reside in London where I work in television here in the UK. I was mortified by your choice of commentators for the gymnastics event.

Your commentators for the event were a two men team - one of whom is an American and the other is a local. Neither know much about gymnastics - now I don't expect them to have the kind of technical knowledge a professional gymnast or coach may possess (since the majority of your audience are non-gymnasts) - but it seemed that they had done a crash course on gymnastics terminlogy, possibly read up a few pages on the internet and were throwing completely random terms during the broadcast, trying to bluff their way through the event quite unconvincingly. They made a complete mockery of their jobs - and this has made them the laughing stock in the gymnastics world. Just go to some of the gymnastics forums and the gymnasts are mocking what complete fools these two have made of themselves and the event. There is a fine balance between dazzling the audience with technical terms and making the sport accessible to an audience who may be watching the sport for the first time - your commentators totally failed at both for they not only knew little - but were confusing the audience by using totally the wrong terms to describe the gymnastics moves performed.

They were at the Bishan Sports Hall - surrounded by so many gymnasts and coaches from all over the world; did they make any effort to ask anyone to clarify what was going on when they weren't sure? For example, a buzzer sounds on the women's beam event and on the men's floor exercise to alert the gymnast that they have ten seconds left to finish their routines. Every time they hear the buzzer, the commentators would say that the gymnasts have gone overtime - which isn't true at all. Did no one go up to these two commentators and gave them a (very long) list of errors they made after each session? Are they simply oblivious to their mistakes, or so arrogant that they cannot be asked to find out?

Secondly, your local commentator had a terribly strong Singlish (Singaporean English) accent - surely you could go to any of the top schools in Singapore and pick a student at random and find someone who would speak better English. Now as someone born and bred in Singapore - I have no issues with Singlish - nothing makes me feel more at home than hearing authetnic Singlish in Ang Mo Kio. But good grief, your local commentator struggled with words beginning with the letter V. That's an elementary error common with those who speak Chinese as a first language - as the sound of the letter V doesn't exist in Chinese. It was embarrassing to hear him mispronounce again and again words like "vault", "avoid" and "value" - he kept saying, wault, awoid and walue - and his American colleague made no effort to try to correct his bad English. It was incredible when he said today, "he was already won two medals and has now picked up a turd" (he meant to say THIRD, but being Singaporean, he was unable to pronounce the "TH" sound and said 'turd' instead). That I can forgive as many Singaporeans are incapable of pronouncing the "TH" sound (again, not found in Malay or Chinese) - but there comes a point where you have to draw a line and have some quality control and demand that a commentator knows the difference between a third and a turd.

Thirdly, the American commentator seems to know absolutely nothing about Singapore and makes basic errors when describing Singapore. He mentioned that Singapore was situated off the East Coast of Malaysia - which is wrong, Singapore is at the southern tip of the Malaysian Peninsular. And his Singaporean colleague made no attempt whatsoever to correct that mistake (why, was he afraid of showing up the American?) - which is unbelievable as any Singaporean should know where the island of Singapore lies relative to Malaysia. Furthermore, the American commentator makes very basic errors such as getting the country of the gymnast wrong (he said that Diana Bulimar was from Bulgaria instead of Romania) and he mentioned today that Carlotta Ferlito has already won two silver medals when she had only won two bronzes at that stage (before her beam finals). If you are going to bring an American in - surely there are plenty of other Americans who are a lot more competent than this joker?

Furthermore, both commentators struggle with pronouncing the names of the gymnasts - Chinese names were hopelessly mangled beyond recognition (did the local commentator forget all the Hanyupinyin learnt at school)? Even Swedish and Russian names were mispronounced - but this was overshadowed by the way they really mangled up all the Chinese names and made elementary errors like saying Xiaodong Zhu ("Shaodong-zoo" they kept saying) instead of Zhu Xiaodong. The event was held in Bishan of all places, they must have been surrounded by thousands of Singaporeans who were fluent in Mandarin - didn't anyone correct them? Did no one on their team speak any Mandarin at all? Was there no management in place to tell them where they have gone wrong and how they could avoid repeating such elementary errors? This is clearly a management error - if you want to bring in American commentators fine, but monitor how they are performing, check on them, listen to them as they work and don't just assume that they are going to deliver a flawless performance. This is clearly a management issue - you are not managing your staff and not giving them the help or training they need to do their jobs properly.

I could go on - but it suffices to say that after having been watching gymnastics competitions broadcast on TV since the early 80s, this has got to be undoubtedly the worst possible commentary team in the history of the sport, ever, by a very long way. So whilst the gymnastics community will mock you organisers behind your back on their online forums, as a former Singaporean national gymnast, national champion and national team captain from the 90s, I feel it is my responsibility to bring this to your attention and point out to you what a disaster - no, what a complete catastrophe these two jokers have been. Let me be constructive and make you the following suggestions.

1. There is a thriving gymnastics community in Singapore. http://www.singaporegymnastics.org.sg/ Have you ever thought about approaching them for help when it came to choose commentators for the sport? They would be able to provide gymnasts, ex-gymnasts and coaches who have a detailed technical knowledge of the sport and can guide your commentators through the sport.

2. The most successful gymnastics programmes are found in the top schools in Singapore - such as Raffles Institution, Hwa Chong Institute, RGS, SCGS, CHIJ St Nicholas etc - where the standard of English is extremely high. You could have easily approached one of many ex-gymnasts from these schools who are both knowledgable about the sport and are eloquent and articulate in English.

3. Surely you must have some kind of English oral exam before you let these people on TV and test if they can pronounce simple words like "vault" and "avoid" - and why aren't these people corrected along the way after they make such elementary mistakes? We're humans, we make mistakes - but when you keep making the same mistake over and over again, then it becomes a management issue. Why aren't these two commentators managed properly? The fact that such elementary mistakes were made again and again is indicative of very poor management.

I only hope you will learn from your mistakes at this YOG and stop deceiving yourselves that mistakes weren't made. When you have the world watching, you have to put on a good show or risk making a fool of your country.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Former Sg National Champion Gymnast on YOG commetators silly mistakes and bluffin

WTF

$400 Million and they hired two quack commentators?????

:mad:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Former Sg National Champion Gymnast on YOG commetators silly mistakes and bluffin

I thought Indians would have the same difficulty with 'v' and 'w' ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

So where did the money go to if these guys don't know gymnastics and one of them had problems with English.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So where did the money go to if these guys don't know gymnastics and one of them had problems with English.

Keling kia siao (Indian accounts).

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keling kia siao (Indian accounts).

Damn right! Cut costs and cut corners (incompetent commentators, legions of free labourers/volunteers, lousy unhygienic food) and yet it still costs $400 million to host the YOG. Who's doing the accounts? Who is accountable? Where's the accountability? I hope it's not keling kia all the way!:biggrin::biggrin:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Since he is at it complaining about the commentators of the Gymnast, he might also want to add a para for the Singapore vs Haiti Soccer game.

I clinged at the comments on what they think the players should be doing, not-perfect passes.....blah blah. For the same mistakes, the Scubs get good excuses while the Haitians got a slur.

Commentators should enhance the excitement of the game, not kill it by saying how it should be played better !

Frankly, my opinion, though the cubs put in efforts, Haiti played much better game than the cubs and they deserve their win.

peterpan707

Alfrescian
Loyal

Damn right! Cut costs and cut corners (incompetent commentators, legions of free labourers/volunteers, lousy unhygienic food) and yet it still costs $400 million to host the YOG. Who's doing the accounts? Who is accountable? Where's the accountability? I hope it's not keling kia all the way!:biggrin::biggrin:

No infrastructure build. Basketball play outdoor, can see car moving, worry about heavy rain, tree branches may fall, etc. Is this Olympic standard?
Ticketing over sold. ticket sold twice; i.e collected money twice.
Volunteers no pay..Dog food for volunteers...

Where is the money go?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal

"Thirdly, the American commentator seems to know absolutely nothing about Singapore and makes basic errors when describing Singapore. He mentioned that Singapore was situated off the East Coast of Malaysia - which is wrong, Singapore is at the southern tip of the Malaysian Peninsular. And his Singaporean colleague made no attempt whatsoever to correct that mistake (why, was he afraid of showing up the American?) - which is unbelievable as any Singaporean should know where the island of Singapore lies relative to Malaysia."

I bet the local commentator wasn't even aware of this geographical fact. If so, how to correct the error of his fellow commentator?

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal

I bet the local commentator wasn't even aware of this geographical fact. If so, how to correct the error of his fellow commentator?

Quite true. DPM Wong once described Sg as a country with a long coastline when a limping middle aged man escaped from his high security detention facility.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Another example of Singapore going backwards- in the sacrifice of quality for quantity.

When you see mass imports of PRC's ,Indians (from India),Filipinos and Burmese because they are cheaper (not better) its a matter of time before our reputation is ruined.

The 66% should wake up before its too late.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

Secondly, your local commentator had a terribly strong Singlish (Singaporean English) accent - surely you could go to any of the top schools in Singapore and pick a student at random and find someone who would speak better English. Now as someone born and bred in Singapore - I have no issues with Singlish - nothing makes me feel more at home than hearing authetnic Singlish in Ang Mo Kio. But good grief, your local commentator struggled with words beginning with the letter V. That's an elementary error common with those who speak Chinese as a first language - as the sound of the letter V doesn't exist in Chinese. It was embarrassing to hear him mispronounce again and again words like "vault", "avoid" and "value" - he kept saying, wault, awoid and walue - and his American colleague made no effort to try to correct his bad English. It was incredible when he said today, "he was already won two medals and has now picked up a turd" (he meant to say THIRD, but being Singaporean, he was unable to pronounce the "TH" sound and said 'turd' instead). That I can forgive as many Singaporeans are incapable of pronouncing the "TH" sound (again, not found in Malay or Chinese) - but there comes a point where you have to draw a line and have some quality control and demand that a commentator knows the difference between a third and a turd.

alex,

i have no issues with other parts of your article. wtf u mean by as sporeans we cannot pronunce the 'th' in 'third' etc. fuck you lah.

the commentator cannot pronounce is his own fucking problem. dun drag other sporeans in. once again alex : fucking you (not on behalf of other sporeans as I CANNOT speak for them), just fuck you on behalf of myself!:oIo:

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal

bobian, maybe the commentators were also "volunteered". the 1 that had difficultites with "V" & "W" is very likely a keling, not chink or mutt. as for the american accented chap, he could possibly be another good-for-nothing FT that the broadcasting company hired, thinking that americanized accent would appeal to the masses.

sad to say, they failed to realize that this island has very shallow & poor sporting heritage, except for a handful of prefered sports.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I thought Indians would have the same difficulty with 'v' and 'w' ?

Nah, they just hate some words that begin with vowels so much that they have to prefix them with a "Y", for example, Indian would be pronounced "Yindian", Enter would be pronounced "Yenter". Not to forget the side-to-side head movement as well. :biggrin: