• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Former MP found guilty of drink-driving

Ginchiyo Tachibana

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Updated: 08/01/2013 09:24 | By Channel NewsAsia

Former MP found guilty of drink-driving

41A28125CCEFBD62ED81A2493214.jpg

SINGAPORE: Former Member of Parliament Chan Soo Sen has been fined S$2,000 and disqualified from driving for 12 months for drink-driving.

The incident happened on July 13 this year.

The court heard that Chan was stopped for a spot check at a police road block along Cantonment Road just before midnight that day.

A police officer noticed he smelt strongly of alcohol, and on questioning, Chan admitted that he had consumed alcoholic drinks earlier that evening.

Chan then underwent a hand-held breathalyzer test which he failed and he was arrested.

Further tests at the Traffic Police Headquarters showed that the proportion of alcohol in his breath was 50 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath which is over the prescribed limit of 35 microgrammes.

After he was sentenced, Chan told reporters that he had attended a charity event earlier that evening and consumed red wine there.

Chan said he had driven to the event as he had difficulty getting a taxi.

When the event was over, Chan said he forgot to ask for a valet to drive him home.

"It was totally not intended at all, I made a wrong decision of driving there... it was due to my carelessness," he told reporters.

He added that this was his first traffic offence in court.

"Nobody is above the law. I committed an offence, I faced up to it and I accept the sentence and move on," he said.

In his written mitigation that was tendered to the court, Mr Chan also asked for leniency as his wife has been ill for the past two months, and had been admitted into hospital a few days ago.

"I expect to have to take care of her, drive her around, and arrange medical appointments," he said.

He added that there was no accident, injury, or damage to public property, and that he had co-operated fully with the authorities.

Chan, who was a minister of state for various ministries between 2001 and 2006, could have been jailed up to six months or fined S$5,000.

- CNA/fa/ac

Ginchiyo Tachibana

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Ex-MP Chan Soo Sen convicted of drink driving

ChanSooSen_ST.jpg

My Paper
Friday, Aug 02, 2013

Former Member of Parliament for Joo Chiat Chan Soo Sen was yesterday disqualified from driving for a year and fined $2,000 for drink driving.

He was caught at a police roadblock, after attending a charity event, at 11.55pm on July 13. A breathalyser test revealed he had 50mg of alcohol per 100ml, over the legal limit of 35mg.

Mr Chan, 56, said he had "a moment of carelessness".

He could not get a taxi to the event, so he decided to drive. He said organisers of the charity event had toasted him, and, after the event, he did not ask a car jockey to drive him home.

Now a part-time business consultant, Mr Chan was MP for the Joo Chiat ward in the East Coast Group Representation Constituency from 1997 to 2001 and the Joo Chiat Single Member Constituency from 2001 to 2011 under the People's Action Party.

He said he will be taking public transport from now on. This is his first traffic offence in more than 30 years that he has been driving.