• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

For taiwanese lovers why is mandarin the national language of taiwan?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pity the Taiwanese kids, still having to learn to write using the complex old chinese characters 繁体字 while ironically their counterparts across the straits, the cradle of chinese civilisation, has already switched to the use of simple characters 简体字. Their education system has suffered for the last decade, again a victim of political conflict and infighting.

U might pity them but Taiwanese in general snub 简体字. Personally I think 繁体字 are beautiful.

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the reverse of the Penang-Butterworth situation. The main Penang state is the Penang island but a part of Butterworth on the peninsula is also part of the Penang state. However, there's no problem there since Malaysia is united. In the case of Fujian, the mainland part is the main province held by PRC but a few offshore islands supposedly under Fujian are held by ROC. In any case, Fujian province has since been one of the heaviest armed provinces in China, at any time 1 million troops and 100 nukes. And no locals are involved. They deployed northern troops in Fujian, just in case of sentimental soft-heartedness if there's really a outbreak of war. Can Taiwan fight that if wants to retake whole of Fujian or even China?

Ramseth, it can be done.But it will take's lot's of spies, and planning.Secret ambush and a very big amount of surprise element must be there.The timing must be very accurate and the first blow must be very strong.Just like how the Jap did to pearl harbour last time.

This video show's how!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WogeBMHn90o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WogeBMHn90o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth, it can be done.But it will take's lot's of spies, and planning.Secret ambush and a very big amount of surprise element must be there.The timing must be very accurate and the first blow must be very strong.Just like how the Jap did to pearl harbour last time.

This video show's how!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WogeBMHn90o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WogeBMHn90o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

so when will the operation commence?

I mean taiwanese are being bullied by not being allowed to show their own flag at sporting events.

unicando

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure but i figure it must be this. Prior to the chinese civil war they had already chosen mandarin as the common language. Is this correct? Therefore after the civil war and the guomintang ran away from the mainland to taiwan the taiwanese govt still harboured intentions of ruling the entire china mainland hence they decided to use mandarin as their lingua franca as opposed to their native minan language. Is this correct?

You see i find this strange. The taiwanese probably still want their independence or at least a sizable majority do. I believe the sentiments are also reflected in their parliment. Therefore one of the steps to show independence should to try to establish a different language. Maybe make them all speak hokkien rather than mandarin. Something like HK.

You see by speaking the same common language as the china mainland doesn't this give grounds for the prc govt to integrate taiwan into china? Take USA and england for eg. When US delcared independence they immediately created american english which in reality is very very similar to british english just a few words have different spellings and so on but at least they wanted to show they were no more a part of the UK.

Shouldn't this be the same with taiwan? By establishing mandarin which is a northern chinese dialect on the taiwanese whom should mostly be southern speaking isn't this ironically following the beijing govt's orders? The ppl in china don't have a choice since they are under prc rule but not taiwanese.

Someone pls explain.

hmm...probably wise for roc to maintain current policy (they have done a great job in also preserving and promoting dialects use like hakka, minnan...etc)...u never knw what might happen 20 ~30 years later if the climate is rite maybe chn might accomodate kmt and ccp like in usa 2 party system...

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The chinese people should get out of taiwan and return the land to the alisan.
When the dutch and portuguese landed on taiwan 500 years ago, the islands were populated by alisans.
The same situation is happening in cheenapore.
Soon, mandarin will become the offical language of cheenapore.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the dutch and portuguese landed on taiwan 500 years ago, the islands were populated by alisans.

what's an alisan?

How about the malays leave malaysia and give it back to the orang asli?

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what's an alisan?

How about the malays leave malaysia and give it back to the orang asli?

and Yankees leave America and return the land to the Aztech and other folks..

and descendent of those criminals to go back to England and return the land to the aborigines?

and Japanese go back to China...

and Thais return their land to the Khmer?

and this forum revert to Delphi????

:mad:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Right, so is about time you start learning Mandarin and quit complaining here!!!

:rolleyes:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'd say post-WW2 Japanese kanji is about 60% Chinese traditional, 30% Chinese simplified and 10% Japanese own design. Chinese simplified and Japanese simplified are not arbitrary too. They were based on calligraphic short-hand pinciples that existed for millennia since the invention of Chinese characters brush-stroke calligraphy. The written Japanese "alphabet," more commonly known as the A-I-U-E-O goju'on "syllabary" as hiragana (あいうえお) and katana (アイウエオ), follows this principle too.

Japan govt considered reducing Kanji characters in their writing system for easier learning. What's the percentage of Kanji in the system, does this decision really make sense?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan govt considered reducing Kanji characters in their writing system for easier learning. What's the percentage of Kanji in the system, does this decision really make sense?

Japan did reduce the number of Kanji characters for basic education and simplify some of them to some exent. If you read Japanese, you'd know that it's impossibly hard to read it if Kanji is completely abolished. The entrenchment is too deep and the Japanese Kana was designed as a syllabary to complement it, not to replace it, unlike the Korean Hangul which was designed to replace it completely, except for occasional special nouns. Japan also did try to figure out a romanised system after to do away with Kanji and Kana. It didn't work out completely. Like the Chinese Hanyu Pinyin, romanisation has only limited uses.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so when will the operation commence?

I mean taiwanese are being bullied by not being allowed to show their own flag at sporting events.

The operation will commence on 10.10.2011, the 100th anniversary of the founding of Republic of China. The Amphibious landing on Xiamen from Kinmen will start sharp at time 10.10.10. Hopefully the auspicious date and time helps. :biggrin:

always feel that mainland Chinese should give the ROC flag some dignity. Afterall millions of soldiers serving under that flag/govt fought 85% of Second Sino-Japanese war and risked or gave their life away for the freedom of China. The PRC govt have no choice but to take a tough stance on this but ordinary Chinese peoples don't need to fight with Taiwanese over that flag at sporting events, snatching away their flags and threw it away.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan did reduce the number of Kanji characters for basic education and simplify some of them to some exent. If you read Japanese, you'd know that it's impossibly hard to read it if Kanji is completely abolished. The entrenchment is too deep and the Japanese Kana was designed as a syllabary to complement it, not to replace it, unlike the Korean Hangul which was designed to replace it completely, except for occasional special nouns. Japan also did try to figure out a romanised system after to do away with Kanji and Kana. It didn't work out completely. Like the Chinese Hanyu Pinyin, romanisation has only limited uses.

didn't know that it's not possible to completely replace Kanji.

read that some Japanese nationalists groups were demanding the abolishment of Kanji to be replaced entirely with hiragana and katana in their writing system.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and Yankees leave America and return the land to the Aztech and other folks..

and descendent of those criminals to go back to England and return the land to the aborigines?

and Japanese go back to China...

and Thais return their land to the Khmer?

and this forum revert to Delphi????

hey how about you tell that to that fella whom mentioned taiwanese give back to the alisan? :mad:

Oh yeah the minute i mention malays give back the land everyone goes mad but it's okay if someone says a chinese has to give back the land. :mad:

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
want to know more about taiwanese rich culture and politics?
watch 爱 and 台湾龙卷风! :biggrin:

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey how about you tell that to that fella whom mentioned taiwanese give back to the alisan? :mad:

wahlaneh...
when i was in taiwan for 6D-round-island tour the tour guide told us about this alisan story.
alisan has the most 台湾原住民 and the whole tribe up there has been well preserved until today.
when japs attacked taiwan, all these people hid themselves up in the mountain caves and japs gave up climbing coz too steep and tiresome.
娜努娃咿呀娜努娃!娜努娃咿呀娜努娃!:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The KMT govt considered themselves the legitimate govt of all China and swore to return back someday thus there was no need to "break ties" with China, mandarin remained as official language.
KMT aggressively promoted mandarin as the island Lingua franca, all dialects were banned on schools, mass media and govt ministries until the late 80s. If you remembered Taiwanese variety shows in the 80s, it's all mandarin, not a word of hokkien or hakka like Singapore.

This would help...http://www.jstor.org/pss/4169285 Mandarin as a common language, putong hua...as opposed to guo yu ?...:p

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
when i was in taiwan for 6D-round-island tour the tour guide told us about this alisan story.
alisan has the most 台湾原住民 and the whole tribe up there has been well preserved until today.
when japs attacked taiwan, all these people hid themselves up in the mountain caves and japs gave up climbing coz too steep and tiresome.

wahlaneh...
wrong song liao should be:
阿里山的姑娘美如水呀、阿里山的少年壮如山!:biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...

What's your point? Give back the land to the alisans? How about after the malays give back the land to the orang asli? Or do u mean to tell me the taiwanese should give back the land to the alisan but not for the malays?