• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fixing the Opposition Again? Please don’t be fooled by the Latest Sex Scandal!

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems Tey's boss as dean of law faculty is Tony Tan's son-in-law, only 39 and sole claim to academic fame is that he does not support UN intervention even when dictators in Iraq and Kosovo commit genocide on their own people. Please see my latest thread for more details on the other "sidekicks" to this drama.

Last edited:

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trial has started oredi and I was wasting my time replying to some other thread on influx of foreign lawyers.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247779/1/.html

From this article published by the State Owned Propaganda Machine, it sure as hell looks like the prosecution’s case is going kaputz!

“Ms Ko said she was hauled in by two officers from the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB), at about 7am or 8am during the examination period. She said she was deprived of sleep, felt scared and anxious, and was interrogated until about 7pm before she was brought to see CPIB's deputy director, Teng Khee Fatt. She said the recording officer had told Mr Teng she had been uncooperative.

Mr Teng, she said, told her that the evidence she gave the CPIB was "not making out the elements of the charge against Tey". During their two-and-a-half-hour conversation, she said Mr Teng told her that corruption is a two-sided offence and that indemnity could be granted if the need arose. She also said Mr Teng had wanted her to write that she had given the gifts because she wanted "favour" from Tey but she refused.

The two then argued about the terms to be used and finally settled on the words "undue prejudice", which she took as "treating her unfairly". "I was slightly more comfortable with that compromise even though it was still not an accurate depiction of the true state of affairs," said Ms Ko.

When asked by Tey what was the true state of affairs, Ms Ko said: "I only bought Prof Tey the gifts because I liked him and we were in a relationship." But Mr Teng didn't buy this answer, she said.

Ms Ko said he told her that it was not possible for a girl to buy a guy gifts. She said Mr Teng also insisted that the reason why she bought those gifts was so that Tey would show her favour vis-a-vis her grades.

Ms Ko said she was told she was not allowed to go home until the CPIB recorded a statement from her. When asked if the statement was accurate, Ms Ko said it wasn't. She said the inaccuracy pertained to her motivation for showering Tey with gifts.”

Some points for discussion:

1. Obtaining “coerced” confessions. “Coerced” in what sense? Questioning from 7 am to 7 pm. Recording officer’s definition of “unco-operative” i.e. you are not telling us what we want to hear. “Indemnity could be granted if the need arose” – inducement.

2. “Compromise” – why the fark does a person need to make a “compromise” with the police when making a statement? Either I saw a blue car approaching the junction or I didn’t. What’s there to compromise. Isn’t there something at the bottom of the form to say that it was made voluntarily and without inducement? How does this squeezing of a “compromise” square with that fine print?

3. My personal favourite: Teng “told her that it was not possible for a girl to buy a guy gifts”! Hahaha, Teng must be a true frog in the well.

4. Not allowed to go home until a statement was taken. Unlawful confinement? Inducement? Sign and you can go home and have a good night’s sleep and cuddle your teddy bear.

5. Motivation for the gifts – not grades – implies essential element of the offence of sex FOR grades not present and this is right from the mouth of the prosecution’s star witness.

6. Insight into how our boys in blue actually operate - was told that "evidence she gave the CPIB was not making out the elements of the charge". Step 1 - decide what charge to put on a person's head. Step 2 - go and look for the evidence you want. Excuse me, are you a police officer of a FIRST WORLD country? Are you putting the cart before the horse? Or was Step 1 decided for you by somebody else?

Last edited:

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
Allegations are being made that the confessions were obtained by CPIB Minions through the use of torture. It seems that the Third World Courts of SinGalore are now holding a voir dire (a trial within a trial) to determine the admissibility of evidence allegedly obtained through the use of medieval forms of coercion. Thus, it is timely to show this video of Subhas explaining how our Constitution theoretically guarantees our human rights but in practice those rights are regularly abused where they are most needed - in the course of criminal investigations by taxpayer funded government agencies. He even tells us that he does not expect this situation to change "within his lifetime"! And this from a criminal lawyer with decades of real life experience defending accused persons. From "Third World to First World" is nothing more than an illusion.

Hint, hint ... time is now 9:35 am in London and 4:35 pm in SinGalore. Somebody is still in the dock. Scroobal has been proven wrong again!

[video=youtube;tJ0YjjbZwTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ0YjjbZwTA[/video]

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

The three cases thus far involving sex for favours are driven to a large degree by the presumption invoked within the PCA act, and the hard ball strategy of CPIB in building a case at any cost and getting AGC to prosecute at any costs. In so much as all three cases have in common the defence have to prove the following.

a. There was no favour or no benefit,
b. The sex was because of existing intimacy

To some extent each case strengths and weaknesses revolve ard how strong or weak each of the two elements above are. All three cases are also dependent on proving CPIB methods to get a case by pressurising either the accused or the key witness or both.

Professor Teh IMHO is losing it in his defence. In his focus on detail and every detail, he is not building a consistent strategy of an alternative defence, poking holes in the prosecutions case is in itself within Singapore not enough to prove reasonable doubt. He has chosen to conduct his own defence whereas his better bet was to hire someone and let that someone get the job of going on it without looking for every little side track hoping that it will help his case go his way.

Rumpole alleges conspiracy which if it was Teh alone I would support. But Teh, Lim , and NBG points to a deeper story which I have yet to figure out.

Locke

TS

Not sure if this is the case. As a foreigner his work visa/PR as well contract need not be renewed without giving any reasons. Something this govt has done on many occasions.

He comes from a wealthy family and I understand that law clerkship was the result of family connection. This guy seems to have gone a pleasurable trip to show his intelligence rather than for money as he does not need it - BCL Cambridge, LLB KCL, top law firm, clerkship to CJ, Judge, State Counsel, academic etc.

I think he was too carefree and too bold.

If he was smart, he won't try the persectution angle. Remember Tan Lee Meng and the suicide pilot angle that quashed on day 1. Its not a jury trial so this does not work.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Side show wayang to distract the population from the real issues (population increase, massive PRC influx) lah.

Don't fall victim to the wayang show.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
NUS lecturer is main target. The two idiots from SCDF and CNB are side show to make it look like they are not after the one with the big mouth. THis is standard PAPzi procedure all these years. I am surprised that other people here do not see this pattern before.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, i think the 3 idiots' target were sex. just too bad they work in elite jobs...

NUS lecturer is main target. The two idiots from SCDF and CNB are side show to make it look like they are not after the one with the big mouth. THis is standard PAPzi procedure all these years. I am surprised that other people here do not see this pattern before.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems obvious that SG is lagging behind in judiciary reforms.

No jury trials.

No video taping of confession statement taking.

Etc.

All these features are very basic elsewhere, even in most third world countries.

So I don't see why we cannot have the same.

I think we really need to buck up and try to improve our institutions for the future. Lagging behind!