• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exotic Pets

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aros are one of the better fishes to have and to breed. You can buy several as males and females are hard to identify. Ponds in Singapore are for hire to put them in and to breed but the cost is an investment. If you cannot succeed it will be a pain but if you succeed the gains are good.

Aros feed on feeder fish, MPs (market prawns) and centipedes and other insects. Of course your Dad is keeping them as a hobby only so in glass aquariums they will not breed at all. They need privacy and large spaces to get them to breed. You can visit the Aro farms in Singapore and watch videos to know more about it.

bro...aros are not like reptiles are other animals put a pair together and they start breeding ...for aros they themselves will pair with each other ..humans cant pair up for them ..but i heard from my aros friends many farms are using high tec genetic machine to determine the pairing rather then let the fish pair by themselves ( which take alot of time and money ) .

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro...aros are not like repiles are other animals put a pair together and they start breeding ...for aros they themselves will pair with each other ..humans cant pair up for them ..but i heard from my aros friends many farms are using high tec genetic machine to determine the pairing rather then let the fish pair by themselves ( which take alot of time and money ) .

Yes there are now many vets working for the big players and the breeding of Aros are very professionally done. For hobbyists, they rent small ponds and breed their Aros hoping to get lots of fries. Many have succeeded but the fries may not be of very good quality.

They are doing the same in Indonesia and Malaysia. A better business will be aquaponics to grow fish and veges organically. Food is what everyone will buy and in other countries, the contract growing business is pretty good. I went to a farm in Philippines where chicks can reach adulthood in less than 40 days. There is not even one fly in the farm as everything there is very sterile.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes there are now many vets working for the big players and the breeding of Aros are very professionally done. For hobbyists, they rent small ponds and breed their Aros hoping to get lots of fries. Many have succeeded but the fries may not be of very good quality.

They are doing the same in Indonesia and Malaysia. A better business will be aquaponics to grow fish and veges organically. Food is what everyone will buy and in other countries, the contract growing business is pretty good. I went to a farm in Philippines where chicks can reach adulthood in less than 40 days. There is not even one fly in the farm as everything there is very sterile.

bro....renting ponds for aros are good BUT ...BEWARE , that some aros farm owners will steal the eggs from the aros if you are not around ..:wink: i heard alot story about aros farm owners who steals ...:wink: some farm owner even swap those breeding pair aros to non-breeding pairs :wink:

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro....renting ponds for aros are good BUT ...BEWARE , that some aros farm owners will steal the eggs from the aros if you are not around ..:wink: i heard alot about aros farm owners who steals ...:wink:

I am not into Aros so no fear of that. In fact I ate them in my younger days when I fish them in Malaysia, Not good meat and there are much better fish to eat like the Mahseers in the above video I posted.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am not into Aros so no fear of that. In fact I ate them in my younger days when I fish them in Malaysia, Not good meat and there are much better fish to eat like the Mahseers in the above video I posted.

Wow ... Aros for dinner ? That's expensive meal ..lol

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What to do when after being caught they fight by jumping in the air to dislodge the hook. After a few minutes they gave up and by then they died from exhaustion as they are pretty weak. It will be a pity to throw them away, so the best thing is to eat them, but not very tasty and they have lots of bone.

Those that still live we will coax them to breathe and then release them back. It is not our desire to fish for food but more for the sports and camping life free from care and worries.:biggrin:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What to do when after being caught they fight by jumping in the air to dislodge the hook. After a few minutes they gave up and by then they died from exhaustion as they are pretty weak. It will be a pity to throw them away, so the best thing is to eat them, but not very tasty and they have lots of bone.

Those that still live we will coax them to breathe and then release them back. It is not our desire to fish for food but more for the sports and camping life free from care and worries.:biggrin:

oh yes ..i have friends who are into fishing ...they told me its about the " feeling " when fish are biting the bait ...:wink: the best part is ..they let it go after catching it ...i personally find that malaysia ppl are good at catching wildlife ...kids should go out there and catch wildlife ,instead of playing computer games ....then they will understand how beautiful nature is ...

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh yes ..i have friends who are into fishing ...they told me its about the " feeling " when fish are biting the bait ...:wink: the best part is ..they let it go after catching it ...i personally find that malaysia ppl are good at catching wildlife ...kids should go out there and catch wildlife ,instead of playing computer games ....then they will understand how beautiful nature is ...

I disagree that catching wildlife is a good substitute. It is much better to leave nature alone and enjoy what is left as there are not much of the rainforest left. In the past, we are all not so aware of this state of affairs but now we know better.

If the kids go out to enjoy nature, then these words came into mind. "Remember! Take pictures and memories, but leave only footprints behind after you leave.":biggrin:

Taking away wildlife away from their habitat, will most likely end in them dying as kids are not careful nor know how to take good care of them. It is much better they go in groups to learn and be taught how to live in harmony with nature.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I disagree that catching wildlife is a good substitute. It is much better to leave nature alone and enjoy what is left as there are not much of the rainforest left. In the past, we are all not so aware of this state of affairs but now we know better.

If the kids go out to enjoy nature, then these words came into mind. "Remember! Take pictures and memories, but leave only footprints behind after you leave.":biggrin:

Taking away wildlife away from their habitat, will most likely end in them dying as kids are not careful nor know how to take good care of them. It is much better they go in groups to learn and be taught how to live in harmony with nature.

bro..catching wildlife and breed them is another way of helping those animals face extinction ..unless you are talkng about catching them for food or those who know nuts about breeding them . its a controversial topic :wink: we have a saying that say conservation through captive propagation ..meaning we take the pressure off the wild in order to prove that these wonderful wild animals through captive breed that can also becomes wonderful pets even for investments ..

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So power ah drifter know how to catch wild life. Ang mohs only know how to shoot them.

What's the biggest wild animal you ever caught.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro..catching wildlife and breed them is another way of helping those animals face extinction ..unless you are talkng about catching them for food or those who know nuts about breeding them . its a controversial topic :wink: we have a saying that say conservation through captive propagation ..meaning we take the pressure off the wild in order to prove that these wonderful wild animals through captive breed that can also becomes wonderful pets even for investments ..

Bro...no controversy at all if we understand what each other is saying. There are enough captive breeds captured to ensure they will not be extinct and for them to propagate and made available as pets.

Catching wild animals is best left to professionals who knows what to catch and to ensure they survive. Getting kids off their PCs and into the wilds to catch wild animals without proper knowledge and having fun with nature is different. Some kids will develop interest in nature at some point in their lives and some, never. You see...your initial statement was not clear, I quote, "kids should go out there and catch wildlife ,instead of playing computer games ....then they will understand how beautiful nature is." You did not elaborate further than that and hence my response to you. We don't want any kid to go and capture wild animals and killing them in the process.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro...no controversy at all if we understand what each other is saying. There are enough captive breeds captured to ensure they will not be extinct and for them to propagate and made available as pets.

Catching wild animals is best left to professionals who knows what to catch and to ensure they survive. You did not elaborate further than that and hence my response to you. We don't want any kid to go and capture wild animals and killing them in the process.

ok..my bad ...should leave it to the professionals :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So power ah drifter know how to catch wild life. Ang mohs only know how to shoot them.

What's the biggest wild animal you ever caught.

bro..wildlife does not only mean animals ..it also means reptiles ,birds , fishes , amphibians and invertebrates .

the biggest wild animal i have caught is the asian black bear also known as the moon bear .. ( in japan ) , tibetan Black Bear in thailand and nepal ...no chance to catch panda bear :wink:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro..wildlife does not only mean animals ..it also means reptiles ,birds , fishes , amphibians and invertebrates .

the biggest wild animal i have caught is the asian black bear also known as the moon bear .. ( in japan ) , tibetan Black Bear in thailand and nepal ...no chance to catch panda bear :wink:

yeah that's right. I wanted to see if you caught anything bigger than those snakes, fishes that you can put into your pocket.

How many ppl were there with you to help catch these bears? What did you do with the bears after that? Smuggle them?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yeah that's right. I wanted to see if you caught anything bigger than those snakes, fishes that you can put into your pocket.

How many ppl were there with you to help catch these bears? What did you do with the bears after that? Smuggle them?

wow lua ..everytime ask me sensative question in this thread ...lol .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
dont look down on butterfly hor ..:wink:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Jt87Sthvb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: