• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Examples of how difficult it is to learn Thai language!!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look u have not shown how good your thai proficiency is anyway.

Prease rah ok even doh you tink you slpeak thai does it means you know thai?

Seriously read that last sentence if i wrote my "engrish" like this to you would you claim i am proficient and i told you i have 30 years of immersion in the language despite not much formal schooling?

Honestly I dunno what you meant by what 'last sentence'....
Perhaps my engrish is really not up to par that I fail to understand what you trying to say.
Anyway it's about my thai proficiency.....I've moved away and beyond from using romanized thai and I feel the "questions' you put up is an insult. Pls test me on something more cheem.
Ok I know what you going to say.....but even if translated it proves nothing due to a host of translation software or if I really bullshitting I could get help. So it will prove nothing.
So why not move the spotlight back to TS.
Every thai learner knows telling time is the basic of basics in learning thai conversation and one of the first few topics. Chump claims it's difficult. And that smart Alecky thoom thoom temple gong takes the cake. He claims he speak thai but can't tell the time. What fucking BS is that?

I meant this sentence here that i have enlarged and highlighted in red. Let's assume i spell my words like that and my english grammar is like that and then i tell you my english is pretty good and that english is passable with spelling like that needless to say i think i would be told i am delusional.

That's the problem with many sinkies learning thai. They know one or two phrases and they think they know thai language.

You claim you know much more well perhaps you could show the correct written thai words used in say some random sentence. In short just show how good your thai language is. Basket after so long didn't even see you attempt any thai language. Are you like drifter the 2nd? Live in singapore claims to live in japan and knows japanese and uses google translate. In this case i can even show you russian or mongolian languages.

Anyway on your comments about e69 i don't want to get involved.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Of course I know what the word means....
You read it somewhere? Either that's shit or you misinterpreted the shit wrongly
It means a lot of things but nothing remotely like temple gong thoom thoom thoom hahaha.....
Struggling to tell the time in thai? That's even below kindergarten level.....you're dumber that I give you credit for.

Thum is derived from the evening temple gong.

If you cannor tell what it is, then shut the fuck up and dont act wise.

It just shows that your are the gongest chee bye by trying to act smart with no answer.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi eErotica69, where is a good school to learn Thai language in Singapore? I know I can google, just a tat lazy and also do not know which is a better one. Any recommendations for me?

Each time I go to Bangkok for short getaway trips with my friends, I do feel hampered in my communication. I have thought of learning the language, or at least the basics, but I am always putting it aside.

Perhaps, I should just take a step forward and learn it. :smile:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thum is derived from the evening temple gong.

If you cannor tell what it is, then shut the fuck up and dont act wise.

It just shows that your are the gongest chee bye by trying to act smart with no answer.

You claimed to have read it somewhere.
Show the source. Or google the www for it to show me an example.
Thank you.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I meant this sentence here that i have enlarged and highlighted in red. Let's assume i spell my words like that and my english grammar is like that and then i tell you my english is pretty good and that english is passable with spelling like that needless to say i think i would be told i am delusional.

That's the problem with many sinkies learning thai. They know one or two phrases and they think they know thai language.

You claim you know much more well perhaps you could show the correct written thai words used in say some random sentence. In short just show how good your thai language is. Basket after so long didn't even see you attempt any thai language. Are you like drifter the 2nd? Live in singapore claims to live in japan and knows japanese and uses google translate. In this case i can even show you russian or mongolian languages.

Anyway on your comments about e69 i don't want to get involved.

Ok ok take it I dunno much about the thai langauge. You got me.
I'm not vying to be resident thai langauge teacher.
But what I do know is telling time is basics of the basics....probably lesson 3.
And I know enough that thoom is not about what temple gong.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok ok take it I dunno much about the thai langauge. You got me.
I'm not vying to be resident thai langauge teacher.
But what I do know is telling time is basics of the basics....probably lesson 3.
And I know enough that thoom is not about what temple gong.

ok where is it derived from then? Thoom.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please take it this way; unless a person has thai culture running in his or her blood, and grew up in a thai society,

otherwise one who studies and practice the thai language, grasp 50-75% in each translation, or may even end up totally incorrect, because thai, lao, Cambodian, etc. is a language that is ancient and limited in words. So one word can have different meaning in different context.:o

At least some forumers know some, better than those of us who knows none:o

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please take it this way; unless a person has thai culture running in his or her blood, and grew up in a thai society,

otherwise one who studies and practice the thai language, grasp 50-75% in each translation, or may even end up totally incorrect, because thai, lao, Cambodian, etc. is a language that is ancient and limited in words. So one word can have different meaning in different context.:o

At least some forumers know some, better than those of us who knows none:o

I agree this is the norm but there are exceptions.
Just for discussion sake....let's say there is a non native chink professor of English studies who studied and lived in his adopted land since his uni days. And compare him to a born and bred illiterate yokel who can't read his mother tongue and can hardly speak it properly. In this instance the naturalized chink prof would trump the native.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You claimed to have read it somewhere.
Show the source. Or google the www for it to show me an example.
Thank you.

Ok, correction.

My mistake "Mong" is the sound of Gong and "Thum" is the sound of drum. (Thum is NOT gong but drum)

That was how they used to announce time in ancient Thailand. You see some Thai movies, they announce time using gongs and drums.

That is where they got the Mong and Thum. My Thai colleagues also confirmed this.

Hey fucktard Narong, your 30 years of interaction with Thai culture is just fucking chicken, is it?

Fucktard, if you are so smart tell me what is Thum and Mong means?

[video=youtube;oD2ymPZvlYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2ymPZvlYA[/video]

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mong chao...... for the first half of daytime (07:00 to 12:59)
Bai ... mong .....for the latter half of daytime (13:00 to 18:59)
... thum.... for the first half of nighttime (19:00 to 00:59)
Ti ... for the latter half of nighttime (01:00 to 06:59)

These terms are believed to have originated from the sounds of traditional timekeeping devices. The gong was used to announce the hours in daytime, and the drum at night. Hence the terms mong, an onomatopoeia of the sound of the gong, and thum, that of the sound of the drum. Ti is a verb meaning to hit or strike, and is presumed to have originated from the act of striking the timekeeping device itself....Chao and bai translate as morning and afternoon respectively, and help to differentiate the two daytime quarters.............
The sixth hours of each quarter are told by a different set of terms. The sixth hour at dawn is called yam rung ....., and the sixth hour at dusk is called yam kham ....., both references to the act of striking the gong or drum in succession to announce the turning of day (yam), where rung and kham, meaning dawn and dusk, denote the time of these occurrences..................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-hour_clock

Not sure an open source like Wiki is the best authority but I guess its the most accessible

Last edited:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi eErotica69, where is a good school to learn Thai language in Singapore? I know I can google, just a tat lazy and also do not know which is a better one. Any recommendations for me?

Each time I go to Bangkok for short getaway trips with my friends, I do feel hampered in my communication. I have thought of learning the language, or at least the basics, but I am always putting it aside.

Perhaps, I should just take a step forward and learn it. :smile:

I learn Thai many years back, so I do not know which is a good Thai school now.

Is actually not about the school but rather the practice. You need to practice speaking more.

I am lucky because I learn Thai previously and these few years, Iget to use it with my Thai colleagues. So my Thai sort of maintained.

So you should either go intensive learning or learn the basic and find ways to speak to Thai people.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Like I said I know enough that it's nothing to do with temple gong.
I supposed each and every word would have had derived from somewhere.....that's maybe the job of language scholars and linguistic anthropologists.
I could give you the meaning of the word but you would say I used a thai translation software.....so better you google for the thai dictionary

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not sure an open source like Wiki is the best authority but I guess its the most accessible

Thanks for that.....well you learn something new everyday.
And E69 my apologies.....you and borom are my teachers today. Thank you for your unselfish sharing.
Its thru mistakes we learn the truth.
Hehe I give you boasting rights....
E69 1 Narong 0

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He does not fucking know the answer. His 30s of interaction with Thai are just whoring years in Thailand like his idol Tonychat!

I have accorded you bragging rights and apology.
Please do not drag and insult my idol tony over this episode. He's not involved. Thank you

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learn Thai many years back, so I do not know which is a good Thai school now.

Is actually not about the school but rather the practice. You need to practice speaking more.

I am lucky because I learn Thai previously and these few years, Iget to use it with my Thai colleagues. So my Thai sort of maintained.

So you should either go intensive learning or learn the basic and find ways to speak to Thai people.

Thank you eErotica69. I agree that language is learnt through practise. Unfortunately I do not have Thai colleagues or friends.

I will search the net for a local language school and try to make some Thai speaking friends.

Have a nice day :smile:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have accorded you bragging rights and apology.
Please do not drag and insult my idol tony over this episode. He's not involved. Thank you

Ok, since you are a gentleman, there is no need for me to further dwell on this. Let's move on to discuss about Thai Language.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is another difficult part, telling time. Cos their logic for time is different from English and (new) Chinese way of telling time. Different logic, especially the evenings.

Example :

12 am - tiang khuen

From 1 am to 5 am, they use dtee, following by the number 1,2,3,4 5.

1 am - dtee neung (neung is 1)
2 am - dtee song (song is 2)
3 am - dtee sam (sam is 3)....
4 am - dtee see (5)
5 am - dtee haa (6)

From 6 am to 11 am, they use Mong Chao!

6 am - Hok Mong Chaaw (Hok is the number 6)

......7 am ..... 10 am ..... it all the numbers 7 to, 11 plus Mong Chaaw

11 am - Sip et Mong chaaw (Sip et is 11)

12 pm - tiang wan

From 1 pm to 3 pm they use Baai Moong, a bit more difficult cos the number is in the middle

1 pm - Baai Mong (no number one)
2 pm - Baai Song Mong (Song is 2)
3 pm Baai Saam Mong

From 4 pm to 6 pm they use Mong Yen. So is 4,5, and 6 in thai followed by Mong Yen.

4 pm - See Mong Yen
5 pm - Haa Mong Yen
6pm - Hok Mong Yen

Now the most fucking difficult is the evening. From 7 pm t 11 pm, instead of using number 7 to 11, they go from1 to 5 again!!!

7 pm - Neung Thum (Neung is number 1)
8 pm - Song Thum (Song is number 2)
9 pm - Saam Thum (Saam is number 3)
10 pm - See Thum (See is number 4)
11 pm - Haa Thum (Haa is number 5)

So instead of going with the logic 7 pm, 8 pm, 9 pm, 10 pm, 11 pm, you get 1 thum (evening), 2 thum, 3 thum, 4 thum and 5 thum.

So is not a direct translation of number, but rather a different logic. How the fuck to remember 4 Thum is 10 pm?

I know a lot of Thai people who problem articulating 7 pm to 11 pm in English because they have the "Thum" logic.

Similarly, for me, although I speak Thai quite ok, but sometimes I still need to think 10 pm is Saam Toom (3 evening) or See Toom (4 evening)

Btw, Thum is not "evening" per say, but rather the gong sound of Thai temple in the evening. "The toom toom toom sound of the temple gongs"

[video=youtube;hcCtL1zxGYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCtL1zxGYY[/video]

Must admit I have problem for a few years now I sexpert I mean expert.