• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Emigrating? Think Australia the Lucky Country? No way, now branded "Land of Rip-Ofs"

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont shoot the messenger liao. Somemore read the comment there.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money...d-of-rip-offs/comments-fn3hskur-1226221363501

Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

Karen Collier
December 14, 2011 1:00AM

FORGET the lucky country - Australia has been branded the land of the great, big rip-off.

Staples such as fruits and vegetables are several times more expensive than in Europe; DVDs and books can be bought far cheaper offshore; the same cars cost twice as much compared with overseas and housing is less affordable than some of the world's biggest cities, says a Centre for Independent Studies report.

The pro-business think-tank wants property stamp duty axed or slashed and first home buyer grants and negative gearing scrapped to reduce the cost divide, claiming the policies have added to the housing affordability crisis.

And it says import restrictions should be dropped for bananas, cars and books.

The paper labels the nation one of the priciest on the planet, blaming successive governments for key essentials now being steeper than in London, New York and Singapore.

"That Australia is now one of the most expensive addresses on the planet was by no means unavoidable ... what we got instead is a country in which both products and land are much more expensive than in most other countries."

But a federal government spokesman said tariffs had been progressively reduced over three decades to promote free trade and lower consumer goods prices, and that a strong biosecurity and quarantine system was needed for imported-food risks.

Personal tax cuts, higher pensions and other policies had eased cost pressures.

The CIS researchers examined price data for bananas, books, cars, real estate and some retail goods.

They found houses that once cost three times the median household income were now up to nine times that.

Retail rip-offs driven by high rents, outlandish CBD carparking rates and restrictive planning and zoning regulations pushed shoppers to foreign websites, they said.

Outdated copyright laws meant local stores regularly charged double or triple for books.

The report estimated car prices would fall by up to 50 per cent if import duties, the luxury car tax and bans on used vehicle imports were abolished.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Emigrating? Think Australia the Lucky Country? No way, now branded "Land of Rip-O

Compared to peesai, Oz pales in comparison in terms of unaffordability. The average mate in OZ is way luckier than the average sinkee in peesai.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Emigrating? Think Australia the Lucky Country? No way, now branded "Land of Rip-O

My favourite think tank, Centre for Independent Studies. :smile:

Is it surprising that this article comes from CIS, right after Juliar cabinet reshuffle ?

My favourite article from them is "Australia's Welfare Habit: and how to kick it!" :biggrin:

The current union-control government thinking is "I do not care how rich the rich people are, I just care how rich the poor people are."
There is a reason why Quantas baggage handlers are paid more than twice of their mates over at Changi Airport.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shit! Ripped off?

Should I need to get worried? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money...d-of-rip-offs/comments-fn3hskur-1226221363501

So true of London Posted at 2:54 AM December 14, 2011

I sold a Honda I had in Oz prior to returning to the UK. I purchased it new. For the same money I sold the 3 year old car for I was able to purchase a 3 year old Mercedes in perfect condition. Those people who waste money on new German cars in Oz are frankly mad.

Comment 11 of 212

Greg of London Posted at 3:05 AM December 14, 2011

I've been trying to say this to my Australian friends now for years but it has always fallen on deaf ears. My last visit for instance (Oct 2010), a chicken fried rice and a can of coke was $21.60 in a local take-away in Perth. To buy the same within the London City mile (expensive business district of London) is £4.40 (today = AU$6.77). Of course you can't go home on a Friday without sharing a beer. Gold Coast Irish bar = AU$9 per stubbie (375ml) versus a central London pub pint of Becks (568ml) £3.40 (AU$5.20). And to those who ask, yes it is served cold.

ezza Posted at 6:08 AM December 14, 2011

On a recent holiday to Japan, we were shocked at just how CHEAP it was compared to Australia. 1 night in a 3 and a half star hotel (more like 4 star here in Oz) with breakfast, AUD$92.00 per night per room. And that was only a 20 minute walk to Tokyo Station. You pay close to $180.00 romm only here in Brisbane. As a couple we could go out and have a decent meal with drinks and come home full for under $40.00. Here in Oz be lucky if it comes in under $100.00. Fruit, Veges and clothes the same if not cheaper. And all the things I heard was Japan is too expensive. Well live in Australia and we know how expensive things are.. Maybe this is why everyone now holidays overseas and not in Queensland.

Comment 52 of 212

TJ Posted at 6:16 AM December 14, 2011

A friend from America was speechless when I told her the price of movie tickets here and that going regularly will send you broke. Just a simple thing like a frozen meal here will cost $7-$8 whereas over there it's $2-$3. She could not believe it and is having second thoughts about coming for a visit. Over there you can jump in a taxi for pocket change and she was again rendered speechless when I told her a cab fare here will require $20-$50 bills when you don't even travel that far. I never really realised how much of aa rip off it is to live here until she explained the prices in comparison over there.

Comment 56 of 212

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal

this anti-emigration forum very the quiet.

eric_lum is the policeman
londoncabby bring the bad news
neddy and axe168 are the clowns
only scroobal is useful.

even tonychat lost interest.

fuck the singapore ns entrapment.

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have to agree Australia is expensive and a rip off. Even eating out in Vietnamese restaurants are also expensive.

Why?

1. Greed!
2. Lazy. When you become lazy you get greedy. Want more for less.
3. Lazy people become angry people to made it a dodgy excuse to get out of the situation.
4. Complaint kings and queens like there is no tomorrow.
5. like to play God.

Always say Chinese are dodgy, Made in China products are lousy so they say, but yet they want to sell you something it was made in China. Most annoying people is Ozzies always complaining about their rights here and rights there. Gahment want to built new airport for year 2000 Olympic Games, complaint and protest like hell and now lan lan cut and paste extend exisiting aiport and look like shit.

Like to play God to make them 2nd to none - you can't touch me when I play God - world first Carbon Tax.

Behave like Sinkies too -kiasu and kiasee

Shit! Ripped off?

Should I need to get worried? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Come to OZ want big salary but dont want to pay for others to enjoy big salary. Typical slavery sinkee mindset. Only know how to pay cheap but want to be paid big same same like cheebye PAP.

OZ minimun wage is for everyone not only sinkee who thinks they are big shot in peesai. Just because got pinoy slave maid to suck cock and poor hawker selling cheap chicken rice, sinkee feel like big fuck.. what a fucking joke.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Changi airport may be the best but beyond its doors, peesai only know how to built second rated shit to USA. IRs is a joke. Shopping centres dont come close to US in terms of deals and size. Sinkee mindset is to compare to 3rd wolrd cuntries to make themselves feel good. When come to comparing to the west, only know how to kpkb on chicken rice prices. How pathetic.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal

sydneysider of Australia Posted at 2:17 AM December 14, 2011

there is nothing cheap here in this country. this country is not a high class country like america or singapore or britain

Comment 1 of 220

kazexy Posted at 2:19 AM December 14, 2011

After travelling to America we are definitely ripped off big time over here. Some products are 3 times the price of what is paid in the USA.

Comment 2 of 220

Scott of Arlington, Virginia Posted at 2:29 AM December 14, 2011

Having lived in the US for the past 13 months I can honestly say through experience Australia is very expensive. Bureaucratic overheads and high wages are the cause for the costs. My wife complains she gets $7.25 an hour as a retail sales person in the US but then is happy that she only has to pay $25 for Levi jeans. It's all relative. Food, clothing, petrol, utilities are all so much cheaper. I paid my rego for two cars this week and it cost $213 total. Back home it would be $1000 plus. Why? You are getting ripped off in Oz.

Comment 3 of 220

Patrick McGuire of Wakayama, Japan Posted at 2:46 AM December 14, 2011

I'm an expat living in Japan and every time I go home to Melb I'm shocked at prices there. I'm not in touch with salaries but unless everyone is on 100k I don't know how you guys can do it. It puts me off coming back as I feel I can give my family a better quality of life from my income here.

Comment 5 of 220

Mark A Posted at 3:15 AM December 14, 2011

I now live in the US in North Carolina and LOVE the fact that I can by Calvin Klein Jeans for $30.00, that fuel is now 40% cheaper than I used to pay, that my kids Primary School and High School education is TOTALLY covered in my taxes. I also love the fact that I can have a 5 bedroom brand new two story house for $230,000 :smile:

Comment 7 of 220

Eddie Posted at 6:51 AM December 14, 2011

I can't believe any politician can defend the pricing model in Australia. I come from America where even your basic Toyota is nearly half the cost it is here. That's just one example, and as the report indicates, its nearly everything else that is substantially higher as well.

Comment 37 of 220

col Posted at 6:57 AM December 14, 2011

I just returnes from the USA. bought a pair of Nikes in Vegas for $45....same pair in Dandenong was $200

Comment 40 of 220

misterme2010 of USA Posted at 7:17 AM December 14, 2011

Being an Aussie now living in USA, I have to ask myself..... apart from Health care.... How could I possibly afford to live in Australia??? I come back once every couple of years and find myself almost broke upon returning from my holiday. Everything seems to have spiraled out of reach, and clothes... compare the current exchange rate.... take a pair of Jeans...LEVI brand, if i pay more than $35 in USA, I feel like I am being ripped off, yet how much are Aussies willing to pay??? Shame shame shame.

Comment 42 of 220

Mike of Melbourne Posted at 7:29 AM December 14, 2011

This is not a lucky country. I am 36 and would like a family but have virtually given up due to my inability to earn enough money to provide comfortably for myself let alone for a family.

Comment 48 of 220

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Come to peesai and see for yourself how much a goberment flat cost. See how many jeans you can buy with a single coe. Services like cable and internet cost as much as first world or even more but the workers are kids earning peanuts. wahahaha. These people could be your children one day.

Talk about food prices? Chicken rice can be as low as $2.50 but at the same time FULL TIME wages can be as low as $400. 1 million maids and construction workers earn less than $500.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Average american workers should come to peesai and see how much can their peesai salary buy them in peesai. A very small and minuscule number of FTs can afford a flat or even a car. 1 million FTs got alot to say about peesai compared to a very few americans in OZ...What a fucking joke.. The only reason these FTS cant complain is that internet services and laptops are unaffordable to them in peesai. Of course la, with $400 salary...What the fuck!

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal

T Thom of NSW Posted at 7:47 AM December 14, 2011

without a doubt, we have the most expensive housing prices in the world, a joke for what we get!

Comment 57 of 220

kazza of radelaide Posted at 8:08 AM December 14, 2011

electricity and water costs mean i can't even afford to shop on line. I have a professional job (with a nice old hecs debt to go with it). After 6 years of uni with a masters degree you'd think I could afford a few luxuries, but I can't. I don't drink, smoke or gamble, my kids and I go without. yes I have a big mortgage, but i knew what I was getting into when I took it out. what I didn't count on was the doubling of my council rates and water, the trebling of my gas and elec, etc over a two year period.

Comment 75 of 220

Hell yeah Posted at 8:13 AM December 14, 2011

I just got back from the US, and EVERYTHING there costs a fraction of what we pay here. I wear a particular brand of pants that I pay $130 each here in Australia. In the US, I bought three pairs of these pants, a pair of jeans, three pairs of shorts and two shirts for a total of $155. I only do my shopping online now that I am aware of the sizing charts in the US.

Comment 78 of 220

big tummy Posted at 8:16 AM December 14, 2011

I took an American mate to lunch last week and he almost feel off his chair when he saw that a chicken parma was $27.50 at a local pub. Same product in a bar in the US is $12. He then showed me a picture of his four bedroom house with pool in Dallas that cost him $375,000. Lucky Country I think not

Comment 79 of 220

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Main Problem Is Money, Saving And Inequality

stupid_people_doing_stupid_things_1.jpg

There is a reason why Quantas baggage handlers are paid more than twice of their mates over at Changi Airport.

Well, at least, they don't have get Indians to do it. Or CCP men to drive buses with all the road signs in English !

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Come to OZ want big salary but dont want to pay for others to enjoy big salary. Typical slavery sinkee mindset. Only know how to pay cheap but want to be paid big same same like cheebye PAP.

OZ minimun wage is for everyone not only sinkee who thinks they are big shot in peesai. Just because got pinoy slave maid to suck cock and poor hawker selling cheap chicken rice, sinkee feel like big fuck.. what a fucking joke.

What you wrote make sense.

1. When I wrote about my enjoyment with growing crops in past postings, the purpose is not so much because food is expensive, rather, it is a way for me to fight my consumerism*.

Consumerism exploit deep-seated human anxieties and changes in society.This is perhaps why high-stress countries like HongKong and Singapore love shopping and buying things. But, after getting a inital relief from all the purchases, a lot of purchases are cast aside.

2. Aussie is a more egalitarian society so it is a cause of the higher prices. We do not have cheap foreign labour to keep cost down.

3. Australian things are in general, built with better quality. Those supplying building materials and DIY items will tell you that.

4. In Europe, a lot of things have became cheaper after the GFC. I have been to the UK and southern Europe in the past 2 years and the supermarket items are uninteresting and cheaper, except for upmarket ones like El Corte Inglis.

In USA, food is subsidized and we find supersized people eating $10 buffet with 250 selections.

5. Then, we have the typical inefficiencies and lower work productivity to explain the "rip-off" prices. If this create time to smell the flowers - why not. No more working until 10pm and bringing work home over the weekends.

If Australia is a rip-off, buy a cheaper car (Toyota Camry 2.4l $30,000), live in a modest 3brm house ($600k) and eat out less often. (doctor advice)

Last edited:

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ripped Off of Bris Posted at 6:59 AM December 14, 2011

Why does a new Porsche 911 Carrera retail at A$247,000 in Australia and US$82,000 in the United States. Three times the price for exactly the same product.

Comment 91 of 212

Chris of Brisbane Posted at 7:13 AM December 14, 2011

My Dubai-based brother is horrified of the cost of living in Australia whenever he comes back home for a visit. His comment is there is no justification for such high prices on basic commodities - especially compared to Dubai which has no choice but to import 100% of it's fresh food.

Comment 97 of 212

Richard of Ipswich of Ipswich Posted at 7:39 AM December 14, 2011

We cetainly get ripped off here, particularly with costs of utilities. Water, electricity, council rates are a dreadful price. Wish our utilities could be paid for online!!

Enough is enough of Brisvagas Posted at 7:59 AM December 14, 2011

Me and my wife just moved back to Australia (from the USA) where My salary was good enough that we were doing well (financially) and my wife didn't have to work. Now. Ring. Ack here, I have to work a 2nd job, and are struggling. It is rediculus how much the govt. is able to take in taxes, fees for licenses for ANYTHING. Everything is over regulated compared to the US. Oh, a new Corvette ZO6 is only $55,000 before tax in the US too, same price as a very low end 'luxury' car here

Comment 125 of 212

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal

aiyoh! so one-sided, pick and choose comments.
it is very the clear everyone want to complain lah.
it best if free.

Big Kev of Perth Posted at 12:22 PM December 14, 2011

My cousin from Canada just spent a month in Oz staying in Perth, melb, darwin, Port Hedland and Karratha. Things here are generally more expensive than Canada but they live on the border of the worlds largest consumer society. For all the whingers, put things into context - Av wage in the USA is US$26,693; av wage in Oz is AUD$53,352. The rent for a 3 bedroom house in Karratha or Port Hedland is >$2000/wk. A Kensington mango (prod of Aus) sells for 99c in Toronto and $2.25 in woolies. With higher wages comes higher prices and we are a much smaller market here in Oz. To get the full picture before you bugger off to USA factor in the unemployment rate, the chance of getting a job, high crime rate, high municipal and other taxes etc. No wonder they owe 1.5Trillion $$ - the whole country lives on credit and just uses income to meet minimum monthly balance. My cousin loves Canada but says overall we Aussies have a better quality of life.

Oliver of Cairns Posted at 12:08 PM December 14, 2011
The UK used to be the "rip-off" nation, with expensive food and car prices, but then the public complained, and we had COMPETITION come in from Europe, leveling the playing field. That is simply what is missing here - COMPETITION to the too few retailers who think they deserve the generous mark-ups they've always enjoyed - otherwise why else would Jerry Harvey be whinging?

peter of Brisbane Posted at 12:07 PM December 14, 2011
it is expensive because we are one of the wealthiest nations on earth.

uke Posted at 12:03 PM December 14, 2011
It would be interesting to see statistics on the average income for each of the cities around the world. I'm sure you will find that Australia earns a higher wage then some of the big cities. Higher the income higher the prices. It's all relative at the end oft he day.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/austra...ng/story-e6frfmci-1226221360942#ixzz1ge4egnC4

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/austra...ng/story-e6frfmci-1226221360942#ixzz1ge4WTOsj

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/austra...ng/story-e6frfmci-1226221360942#ixzz1ge4KXPOm

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/austra...ng/story-e6frfmci-1226221360942#ixzz1ge3ZpA2t

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

What you wrote make sense.

1. When I wrote about my enjoyment with growing crops in past postings, the purpose is not so much because food is expensive, rather, it is a way for me to fight my consumerism*.

2. Aussie is a more egalitarian society so it is a cause of the higher prices. We do not have cheap foreign labour to keep cost down.

3. Australian things are in general, built with better quality. Those supplying building materials and DIY items will tell you that.

4. In Europe, a lot of things have became cheaper after the GFC. I have been to the UK and southern Europe in the past 2 years and the supermarket items are uninteresting and cheaper, except for upmarket ones like El Corte Inglis.

In USA, food is subsidized and we find supersized people eating $10 buffet with 250 selections.

5. Then, we have the typical inefficiencies and lower work productivity to explain the "rip-off" prices. If this create time to smell the flowers - why not. No more working until 10pm and bringing work home over the weekends.

If Australia is a rip-off, buy a cheaper car (Toyota Camry 2.4l $30,000), live in a modest 3brm house ($600k) and eat out less often. (doctor advice)

Uh oh. I remember I used to be the one who talked about cars being 3X the price as US. Since then much has changed. We know Australia is expensive. So is Singapore. We pay alot in Singapore, and our budget is in the black.

You see its very interesting. Now that monetary policy has shifted, we get to see what happens to those who keep fiscal discipline in these interesting times. Care to be in Europe, Canada or the US, where its cheaper but economic collapse might be on the horizon? What really happens when nobody buys treasuries and yields soar? Will they print and raise commodity prices to the moon? Or shall nations such as Australia with its myriad of revenue streams, solvent government, join the likes of Singapore and face the situation with levers and ammunition?

Time will only tell but yes Singapore is a rip off and Australia is no longer cheap.

But paying the high prices might bring benefits down the road, we just don't know. It really depends on how much more we can stretch fiat money - inflation and asset bubbles, trade wars until one day the US decides to abolish the Fed and revert to "a gold standard" Ron Paul is looking more interesting for our futures.....

ps does it really cost 21 Australian dollars for a chicken fried rice and coke in a takaway? I saw a 20 dollar thing of ice cream in a Singapore market the other day so its all relative.....

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is no such thing as relativity in peesai. One can earn as low as $400 bucks on a full time pay. Unties earn less than $800 bucks full time. With transportation, food, entertainment, rental and other cost at 1st world prices the only people earning a relative pay are the MIW.

Just renting a fuck up 3 room hdb would cost someone 1.5k upwards in a shitty estate. Taking the public transport would cost an average 5 bucks a day if factor in feeder service. That is just going to and fro to work.

Thats why more and more sinkees are heading to Jowhore on weekends to shop cheaply and makan cheap and good food. Unlike in peesai prc lousy food at hawker centre. Which other country have their citizens doing that. I dont recall the borders of US and canana packed with americans coming into canuck cuntry just to buy cooking oil and babies diapers.