• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Earthquake in Sg?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commonly thought off that Singapore is NOT in an earthquake zone. Our housing codes are thus not regulated for earthquake. The whole Suntec/Marina Bay area is all reclaimed land and would be vunerable to earthquakes.

Do the earthquake zones change? Seems like Indonesia is becoming an active earthquake zone.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commonly thought off that Singapore is NOT in an earthquake zone. Our housing codes are thus not regulated for earthquake. The whole Suntec/Marina Bay area is all reclaimed land and would be vunerable to earthquakes.

Do the earthquake zones change? Seems like Indonesia is becoming an active earthquake zone.

Hi Longbow,

I think the recent spike in activity, as you have noticed, is indeed increasing. After the Boxing Day Tsunami it seems that the tectonic plates have shifted quite badly and the increasing pressure from the subduction in the Sunda Trench is causing a lot of the high stress and pressure areas to give way along it to release the building pressure.

The India plate seems to be active more so than ever thus as predicted there will be gradual release of the pressure. Scientists have said a sudden release is unlikely but if it happens then the Dec 26th Tsunami would be nothing compared to what is coming.

Oh, by the way, it is said that the earth's Axis was somewhat altered after the Dec 26th quake, new islands have formed and many corals that were previously some 4 metres underwater along the Acehnese coast is now something like 4 metres above the highest waterline.

Just imagine bending a plastic ruler with another, the upper one applying pressure till the lower bends then when the pressure is too much something's got to give and the bent ruler now either springs back or cracks and breaks. This pushes the water forming the tsunami and raises the land above the water.

There are like 20 subduction areas in the Sunda trench just like that somethings got to give soon.

The ages of the corals that are now above the water level were determined to be around 300 years old thus geologists are saying that it's a matter of time, not if but when.

Indonesia has always been on the Ring Of Fire, Sg on the other hand is not but the earth is still connected so a strong jolt would result in tremors being felt.

But the question as you have so rightly stated is can the buildings here cope with a stronger quake since none of the buildings here are quake resistant.

Sorry for the long reply, I guess I am still jet lagged so the mind is racing a 100 miles a second.

Hope this helps anyway.

Cheers,

MM

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Hal,

I had only just arrived home when it happened.

After a 22 hour flight and 2 stopovers I thought I was having problems walking when it happened.

LOL, if it's a sign, then it must be one that is telling me not to come back!

Those are good songs!

I leave in about 2 weeks and hopefully for good.

Cheers,

MM

This is 2009, that area was completed in 1969, and that's 40 years this year. Never in its history, any tremors was felt...this is bad!, it is still my 'shangri la'..and now its is rocking & swaying ( heh heh), it must be a very bad omen.

Can I come over to that strecth of road ( which is not very long), and shout for you?:biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Indonesia has ALWAYS been an active earthquake zone you twit. The boundary between the converging Eurasian and Pacific tectonic plates run right through the Indonesian Islands.

Singapore has always declared itself to be free of earthquakes so it can save money when building pigeon holes for the peasants.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meant ask if these boundries change and could Singapore be included in the earthquake zone.

Indonesia has ALWAYS been an active earthquake zone you twit. The boundary between the converging Eurasian and Pacific tectonic plates run right through the Indonesian Islands.

Singapore has always declared itself to be free of earthquakes so it can save money when building pigeon holes for the peasants.

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last evening, my collick tell me he feel something moving and his chair moving...den i FARKKK him and tell him dun bullshit...it's prob just my boss asking his slutty secy to give him a BJ/HJ... :p

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is 2009, that area was completed in 1969, and that's 40 years this year. Never in its history, any tremors was felt...this is bad!, it is still my 'shangri la'..and now its is rocking & swaying ( heh heh), it must be a very bad omen.

Can I come over to that strecth of road ( which is not very long), and shout for you?:biggrin:

Hi Hal,

0956hrs 1 Oct Bloody tremors again? I felt the swaying once again...or as in another song...Is it just my imagination?

I know it's funny that while for so many years we hardly felt anything likethat while growing up now it's quite normal.

It may be true that geographically speaking if the "big one" hits the Sunda Trench Sink-a-poor may literally sink/collapse. Then you may have the Old Vampire coming out of his grave.

LOL..if you do come there perhaps the folks that now live there may call the police! I go there only once in a while now and during CNY to buy the bak kwa if at all. I live in Old Sembawang area now. Soon I'll be nowhere near this shaky ground :biggrin:

Cheers,

MM

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

We can not take for granted this won't to Spore just because we are surrounded by many other island.

If under sea quake happened in the Southern Island or nearby Sumatra, Sentosa and other southern island will be the first to be hit, being next to the sea? So buying the most expensive piece of property doesn't protect you from Mother Nature, they are most powerful and unpredictable. Just look at Phuket in the last Tsunami.

Lets pray the day will never come again ...quake.quake..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Hal,

0956hrs 1 Oct Bloody tremors again? I felt the swaying once again...or as in another song...Is it just my imagination?

I know it's funny that while for so many years we hardly felt anything likethat while growing up now it's quite normal.

It may be true that geographically speaking if the "big one" hits the Sunda Trench Sink-a-poor may literally sink/collapse. Then you may have the Old Vampire coming out of his grave.

LOL..if you do come there perhaps the folks that now live there may call the police! I go there only once in a while now and during CNY to buy the bak kwa if at all. I live in Old Sembawang area now. Soon I'll be nowhere near this shaky ground :biggrin:

Cheers,

MM

Old Sembawang area, as in 'hills', 'nemsu', 'malu malu'??? Honestly all my life I have not bought any Bak Kwa from that shop..and eaten any from there! amazing after all these time, it is till there...:biggrin:

I still go back there on an infrequent basis, maybe soon...I can narrow down where you reside...I have eliminated the 'singh' residence...btw you know johnny singh.. ha ha ha..

Are you sure you felt tremors?...or it was your jet lag after 22 hrs in a plane, as far As I know, that place never ROCKED at all...

Could it be the tunneling for the circle line? you are feeling the tremors?...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Plate tectonics actually moves the earth we stand on. GRC remapping does nothing more than move the goalposts. :wink:

Please pardon them...for they have removed the importance of geography & history from schools; a very long time ago.

I don't think they know what plate tectonics or the pacific ring of fire...or there are actually active volcanoes in Indonesia...and Krakatoa is not far from SINgapore..

:p

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Sembawang area, as in 'hills', 'nemsu', 'malu malu'??? Honestly all my life I have not bought any Bak Kwa from that shop..and eaten any from there! amazing after all these time, it is till there...:biggrin:

I still go back there on an infrequent basis, maybe soon...I can narrow down where you reside...I have eliminated the 'singh' residence...btw you know johnny singh.. ha ha ha..

Are you sure you felt tremors?...or it was your jet lag after 22 hrs in a plane, as far As I know, that place never ROCKED at all...

Could it be the tunneling for the circle line? you are feeling the tremors?...

Hi Hal,

LOL..Johnny Singh..the bugger had a penchant for maroon turbans until one day he decided to cut it all off. If this is the same Johnny we are talking about. We often wondered if he had only one "Kanji turban" the hard shell like ones that were soaked in starch that he used when he rode on his father's Vespa scooter.

I guess hard turbans were a good replacement for helmets then. Have you noticed that the Sikhs never bought helmets, even the Kaurs when riding pillion wore turbans!

I used to stay in the Kemuning/Sendudok junction. Jalan Malu Malu was a mere stone's throw. Now it's closer to Sembawang Park... Andrews Ave.

I won't be here for long will be selling this house too before I finally sever ties with this country.

I will be on here as usual though, I still need my dose of PAP bashing. mocking and voyeurism. After all I still want to know how things are going on in Sg.

As for the tremors, yes, I felt them again and I am sure it's not my imagination. My friend called to say she felt them too this morning. Really time to hurry things up and settle stuff and get back on that plane, sheesh this is getting scary!

Cheers,

MM

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Hal,

See the latest news? 0852 JKT (0952 SGP) is around the same time I felt the earth move under my feet!

LOL! So it really wasn't my imagination!

Cheers,

MM

JAKARTA: A major 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia's Sumatra island Thursday southeast of the site of an earlier powerful quake that left more than 1,000 feared dead, geologists said.

The quake hit on land at 8:52 am (0152 GMT), 225 kilometres (140 miles) southeast of the quake-hit city of Padang.

The United States Geological Survey put the quake at 6.8-magnitude.

"There are several heavily populated towns (in the area) there but no immediate reports of casualties," Indonesian geophysics and meteorology agency technical head Suharjono told AFP.

"The latest quake could have been triggered by the West Sumatra quake yesterday. The pressure from the two plates colliding might have caused the rear of either plates to break and this likely triggered the latest quake," Suharjono added.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said there was a "very small possibility" of a destructive local tsunami in the Indian Ocean.

Tremors could be felt in Singapore.

A major 7.6-magnitude quake struck off Padang on Wednesday, killing an estimated 200 and leaving over 1,000 trapped underneath collapsed buildings.

A local health minister said Thursday the number of casualties could peak at "thousands".

Rescue operations are underway.

- AFP/yb

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Hal,

LOL..Johnny Singh..the bugger had a penchant for maroon turbans until one day he decided to cut it all off. If this is the same Johnny we are talking about. We often wondered if he had only one "Kanji turban" the hard shell like ones that were soaked in starch that he used when he rode on his father's Vespa scooter.

I guess hard turbans were a good replacement for helmets then. Have you noticed that the Sikhs never bought helmets, even the Kaurs when riding pillion wore turbans!

I used to stay in the Kemuning/Sendudok junction. Jalan Malu Malu was a mere stone's throw. Now it's closer to Sembawang Park... Andrews Ave.

I won't be here for long will be selling this house too before I finally sever ties with this country.

I will be on here as usual though, I still need my dose of PAP bashing. mocking and voyeurism. After all I still want to know how things are going on in Sg.

As for the tremors, yes, I felt them again and I am sure it's not my imagination. My friend called to say she felt them too this morning. Really time to hurry things up and settle stuff and get back on that plane, sheesh this is getting scary!

Cheers,

MM

Johnny lives near the park, if that is the same JOHNNY SINGH we know, and that is the only JOHNNY singh..never knew his real name..don't know if Johnny still lives there...the house still look the same..and quiet, many a times I wasa round that area wanted to go up there & shout "JOHNNY" outside the house...

hey that's not far from Chekgu house...

Then you would know the other fat Johnny of the provision store & his sister Mary or Peter of the other provsion store...

You sure it was rocking...I will go find out..and if that is the case, I am really surprise...

By the way, people doesn't believe that there is a road named Malu Malu in Singapore. I was wondering why they called the raod Jalan Malu Malu?, and did a little reseach...lembus & kambings used to roam that road in the 1960's & there were tall lallangs, together with plenty of mimosa's, or touch me not...that was why it was named Jalan Malu Malu..

Nothing is much happening in sinGAPORE, unless you are talking about new buildings, and places you onceknew...vanishes, for we do not cherish, the past..in the persuit of making more money...

Why were you back in the old place?...it is as dead as peyton place...??

Now I can go andrews avenue and shout for you?:biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Hal,

there was a huge aftershock!!

6.8 Mw - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Preliminary Earthquake ReportMagnitude 6.8 Mw
Date-Time 1 Oct 2009 01:52:30 UTC
1 Oct 2009 08:52:30 near epicenter
1 Oct 2009 02:52:30 standard time in your timezone
Location 2.538S 101.624E
Depth 24 km
Distances 154 km (96 miles) NNW (332 degrees) of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
226 km (141 miles) SE (141 degrees) of Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
246 km (153 miles) WSW (244 degrees) of Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia
492 km (306 miles) SSW (210 degrees) of SINGAPORE
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 10.3 km; Vertical 29.1 km
Parameters Nph = 78; Dmin = 255.5 km; Rmss = 1.47 seconds; Gp = 36°
M-type = Mw; Version = 7
Event ID US 2009mfaf ***This event supersedes event PT09274000.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Places of our past had been demolished.

People from our past had been replaced.

Singapore we once knew, will never be the same again

"Nothing is much happening in sinGAPORE, unless you are talking about new buildings, and places you onceknew...vanishes, for we do not cherish, the past..in the persuit of making more money..."