• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Signatories For Lawyers

jw5

Loyal
In view of the number of reported cases of lawyers absconding with their clients' money, why doesn't the legal system or the law society or even internally the law firms, simply make it compulsory for all lawyers to have a minimum of 2 signatories for such accounts?
We have read many cases of individual lawyers absconding with their clients' money, but I believe we have yet to have a case of 2 lawyers from the same firm eloping with their clients' money. Wouldn't having a minimum of 2 signatories protect the clients? Or are they simply too lazy, busy or arrogant to implement such a simple measure?
And aren't the other partners in thw law firm supposed to be jointly and severally liable for their errant partner's crimes? Shouldn't they have to compensate the clients who lost their money? If that was the case, I bet they would implement a dual signatory system in a hurry.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what do you suggest for law firms with only 1 lawyer running a sole proprietorship ? For eg., former Chiam See Tong's firm, and also JBJ's firm ?

It's appears to be a simple 'administrative' patch-up, but the moral implications are lethal. It's as good as saying that lawyers must not be trusted. Might as well wind up the profession better.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what do you suggest for law firms with only 1 lawyer running a sole proprietorship ? For eg., former Chiam See Tong's firm, and also JBJ's firm ?

It's appears to be a simple 'administrative' patch-up, but the moral implications are lethal. It's as good as saying that lawyers must not be trusted. Might as well wind up the profession better.

Ever visited Chiam & Co. ???
The main door is damn thick. You cannot hear what's going on inside.

<a href="http://chiam-see-tong.blogspot.com">Chiam See Tong cannot be trusted.</a>

Gillette

Alfrescian
Loyal
A simple solution would be to buy a cashier's order for payment to the beneficiary/seller instead of handing cash over to the lawyer. A cashier's order cost only S$5. There is no need at all to take the lawyer's risk.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better still, why not just set up a 3rd party trust with banks that will handle the money. So instead of $$ going into law firm's account they go to the trust and can only be release upon meeting the requirements. Just make it mandatory. Law firms would like it as it reduces risks.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better still - wait for the next installment of "The Pupil" at channel 5. Its a way to understand how law works for society without the lawman (not to be confused with the jeans maker) being questioned like for eternity.

Is it me or this is how we understand the rights of a human being in a given land we live in? TV dramas and chit chat forums "telling us" but is it really real or drama?

what is reality? what am i typing? what is legal?

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heres a simple question for the so called lawyers and Law legislators and their "composites".

If common law was made for the common man, why do we have lawyer languages (specially taught langauges) not easily understandable to the common man?

And if its not easy for the common man, then how could it be common law?

I am not talking about corporate law or special cases.

can anyone answer that?

Is that a scary question?:biggrin:

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having lawyers to do "legal stuff" for the common man is an anachronism from the days when most people were illiterate and could not read or understand documents or procedures in order to transact business.

Nowadays, just imagine buying a house, car or anything else using a system similar to eBay. and most lawyers will be out of business. Only a few lawyers will be required to handle the more complicated legal issues and litigation.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having lawyers to do "legal stuff" for the common man is an anachronism from the days when most people were illiterate and could not read or understand documents or procedures in order to transact business.

Nowadays, just imagine buying a house, car or anything else using a system similar to eBay. and most lawyers will be out of business. Only a few lawyers will be required to handle the more complicated legal issues and litigation.

Precisely - so the next logical question would be - wheres the copy of common law book for ALL of us.:biggrin: If i can understand the threat of not serving my NS via a post letter then why not the whole she bang!