• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Drunk Indian pilot.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An Air India pilot, who is also a Flight Operations Inspector with civil aviation regulator DGCA, has been suspended from active duty after he tested positive for alcohol.

"Captain Sebastian, who was to fly between Chennai to Madurai, has been grounded for three months after he was tested positive for alcohol during a pre-flight breathalyser test, a mandatory exercise to ensure flight safety," a senior Directorate General of Civil Aviation official said.

After inspection at various airports, the DGCA has found that results from commonly used breathalyser – Alco-Sensor III -- were not satisfactory.

"We have asked the airlines to use advanced breathalyser, Alco-Sensor IV, to conduct pre-flight checks. In the last 10 days, four pilots, including a trainee captain, have been tested positive for alcohol," the official said.

They have all been suspended from active duty, he added. The Alco-Sensor IV is a handheld breath-alcohol tester which provides a simple, accurate and economical method of determining alcohol concentration in a person's breath with evidential grade accuracy.

In order to make flights more safe, DGCA chief Bharat Bhushan has ordered strict action against these pilots.

"I have ordered the strictest possible action against such people. We have been conducting regular checks, but we will also be conducting surprise checks to stop such practices," Bhushan told PTI.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An Air India pilot, who is also a Flight Operations Inspector with civil aviation regulator DGCA, has been suspended from active duty after he tested positive for alcohol.

I hare to say this but foreign airlines of 3rd world countries cannot be trusted to ensure the safety of their passengers.:(

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost all pilots I know drink like they own breweries. Some senior ones even dare to order attendants to pass free beer or liquor to them in the cockpit midflight cruising time. We're not supposed to but what to do? On the ground, there's office politics. In the air, there's midflight politics where pilots are kings.

Last edited:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi ms Yeoh, I think that was old school. These days its just not possible to do this sort of thing and not get reported.
By and large this pilot drinking on duty issue has been killed off in most of the 1st world airlines.

Almost all pilots I know drink like they own breweries. Some senior ones even dare to order attendants to pass free beer or liquor to them in the cockpit midflight cruising time. We're not supposed to but what to do? On the ground, there's office politics. In the air, there's midflight politics where pilots are kings.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed. There is some lack of discipline in these airlines. To be fair, it is not very rampant but it does exist.

I hare to say this but foreign airlines of 3rd world countries cannot be trusted to ensure the safety of their passengers.:(

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi ms Yeoh, I think that was old school. These days its just not possible to do this sort of thing and not get reported.
By and large this pilot drinking on duty issue has been killed off in most of the 1st world airlines.

Haiz, you don't know JAL culture. Disboeying or reporting against superior is something like committing suicide samurai style.