• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Do you have HDB flat? No need go JB, you can retire in Spore now.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, they maybe thinking they are doing everyone a favour, as the thought process could be the longer leasehold properties is, the lower value it get, especially with the fact that bank isn't able to make loans for property that is left with certain number of years of lease, especially for hdb flats.

Straight line depreciation......albeit in descending order.....

have u seen anybodys hdb flat depreciate in price?the entire sg housing market is in a bubble.....if ur hdb is declining in price i think its time to move ur old ass out of there and sell on the market long ago,u must have lived there for more than half a century.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
have u seen anybodys hdb flat depreciate in price?the entire sg housing market is in a bubble.....if ur hdb is declining in price i think its time to move ur old ass out of there and sell on the market long ago,u must have lived there for more than half a century.

It remains to be seen for those mature estate where the lease is less 60 years old.
I can't recall where is the oldest estate though, could it be tiong bahru or toa payoh.....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
this whole thing is so fishy,after u sold part of the lease back to the government,what is the actual lease life of the hdb flat left?can hdb resell the flat on the market?what determines the lifespan of a hdb flat?

and this sounds like a losing transaction for the flat owner......in exchange for a certain sum,the owner gets to stay in the flat for another X amount of years....lets say the 4 room flat owner decides to keep 20 years of his lease,he gets $1k per month X 12 months X 20 years =$240k,after which the government gets ur flat.....essentially the government will never lose,since they are buying ur flat for cheap below the market price and letting u stay for another 10 or 20 years.......and this 240k does not account for inflation and devaluation of currency and purchasing power......since it is paid over the length of 20 years,and not a lump sum upfront payment of 240k today......$1000 in the future is worth much much less than $1000 today,currency loses approximately 33 percent of its value every 20 years......which is like another discount over time for the PAP.....who knows if u wanted to sell ur 4 room flat 10 years later,4 room flats could be worth 500k by then assuming 5 percent inflation in housing per year.and u lost out on another 150k of value.....thats another 150k into PAP's pockets.

I heard from the news yesterday this 68 year old man chose to retain 35 years of his lease. So it's 1k x 12 months x 35 years = $420k. Not sure whether their children get any balance if they die before that?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard from the news yesterday this 68 year old man chose to retain 35 years of his lease. So it's 1k x 12 months x 35 years = $420k. Not sure whether their children get any balance if they die before that?

I think u get lesser if u keep more of ur lease,doesnt make sense if u keep 20 years of ur lease and u get lesser than someone keeping 35 years of the lease.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this whole thing is so fishy,after u sold part of the lease back to the government,what is the actual lease life of the hdb flat left?can hdb resell the flat on the market?what determines the lifespan of a hdb flat?

and this sounds like a losing transaction for the flat owner......in exchange for a certain sum,the owner gets to stay in the flat for another X amount of years....lets say the 4 room flat owner decides to keep 20 years of his lease,he gets $1k per month X 12 months X 20 years =$240k,after which the government gets ur flat.....essentially the government will never lose,since they are buying ur flat for cheap below the market price and letting u stay for another 10 or 20 years.......and this 240k does not account for inflation and devaluation of currency and purchasing power......since it is paid over the length of 20 years,and not a lump sum upfront payment of 240k today......$1000 in the future is worth much much less than $1000 today,currency loses approximately 33 percent of its value every 20 years......which is like another discount over time for the PAP.....who knows if u wanted to sell ur 4 room flat 10 years later,4 room flats could be worth 500k by then assuming 5 percent inflation in housing per year.and u lost out on another 150k of value.....thats another 150k into PAP's pockets.

This is a win-win situation for the PAP!:wink: We pay and pay, they profit and profit!

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Question is, was it sold?. At 49 years lease, will banks make the loan out. Of course, if d/p at 80%, of course most bank will clamor to make the loan. However, if on conventional case, d/p at 20%, loan at 80% will be different.

I have no idea leh. But the article got say other units going for 900k that area. I never buy HDB flat before so I don't monitor but I know it's a prized asset!