• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Delhi Games village 'unfit for athletes'

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:oIo: I am not anti-China deh!!! I am anti COMMUNIST!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK, misunderstanding settled. But isn't it proud to be ethnic Chinese anywhere in the world to see Chinese on top of the Olympic medal tally, with Yanks, Russes, Brits and Gers etc below? :smile: :biggrin: :wink: :cool:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah neh said in other forum. look like person pocket some money from the game

I am shocked to hear this news now after the Games village were praised by many. I have myself visited it and it's nothing but awesome and excellent. The infrastructure is among the best and we are sure it will raise new standard, even for the Olympics. Some nations like Australia are showing nothing but ego and attitude as they can't digest India organising such mega sports event. We are sure that after the closing ceremony Delhi will get praises and only praises for organizing a successful event.

Sunil Bhalla, Delhi, India

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry dude, as an "ethnic Chinese", I don't feel proud at all the PR of China topping the medal tally.

We may be all Han Chinese in "race" terms, but culturally, I cannot identify with the PRC Chinese. 61 years of uninterrupted communist rule is really no joke.

OK, misunderstanding settled. But isn't it proud to be ethnic Chinese anywhere in the world to see Chinese on top of the Olympic medal tally, with Yanks, Russes, Brits and Gers etc below? :smile: :biggrin: :wink: :cool:

jw5

Loyal
Sorry dude, as an "ethnic Chinese", I don't feel proud at all the PR of China topping the medal tally.

We may be all Han Chinese in "race" terms, but culturally, I cannot identify with the PRC Chinese. 61 years of uninterrupted communist rule is really no joke.
That's because you are of ROC ancestry, isn't it?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We're all Chinese, wherever, whatever. In any case, PRC as in CCP is there in name only. It's a one-party country, yes, but not in practice a communist country anymore. It's not feasible to dismantle the communist facade as the wise old dearly departed Deng Xiaoping noted, the dependants on the communist system are the poorest ones. If you short-cut and short-circuit into western style democracy to satisfy the idealism of the educated and richer minority, the vast peasantry majority are going to suffer very bad fates. I do place the blame on Mao Zedong's GLF and CR for that. But he's dead and what's done was done. Let's move forward, step by step. Chinese have moved on through 5,000 years. What's a litte 50-year or 100-year side-step?

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good point. What is most important is that Beijing improves the lives of its citizens. That they have done. The avg Chinese is doing a lot better, they are free to travel, send their children overseas for studies, buying more cars in China, etc.

With rise of middle class demand on more political say will come naturally.

We're all Chinese, wherever, whatever. In any case, PRC as in CCP is there in name only. It's a one-party country, yes, but not in practice a communist country anymore. It's not feasible to dismantle the communist facade as the wise old dearly departed Deng Xiaoping noted, the dependants on the communist system are the poorest ones. If you short-cut and short-circuit into western style democracy to satisfy the idealism of the educated and richer minority, the vast peasantry majority are going to suffer very bad fates. I do place the blame on Mao Zedong's GLF and CR for that. But he's dead and what's done was done. Let's move forward, step by step. Chinese have moved on through 5,000 years. What's a litte 50-year or 100-year side-step?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good point. What is most important is that Beijing improves the lives of its citizens. That they have done. The avg Chinese is doing a lot better, they are free to travel, send their children overseas for studies, buying more cars in China, etc.

With rise of middle class demand on more political say will come naturally.

By quirks of co-incidence, I was at Sydney slightly before Olympics 2000 and at Beijing slightly before Olympics 2008. These were the real world class stuff, well done. I could tell even before the Games started from the atmosphere and people's joyous anticipation.

Singapore YOG 2010 was nothing like that. The closest was KL Commonwealth Games 1998. All Malaysians - Malays, Chinese, Indians were enthusiatic about that. The organisers had no issues with venues, facilities, volunteers, athletes, staff and food etc.

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes brother, i am a proud chinese , but when i see how PRC chinaman behave i feel very shameful. chinaman are disgrace to Chinese.

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal

And not forgetting the Japanese are trying their nasty act again.
Chinese must united leh!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5j04kde6Z0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5j04kde6Z0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Japanese trying to be funny but useless. Last time they were cruel, yes, but then they fought like men. Now they're just US house-trained dogs guarding the Far East gates.

China fixed them by teaching N. Korea how to make nukes. Now them Japs are peeing and shitting in their pants whenever N. Korea hints "don't talk already, let's go crazy!"

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore YOG 2010 was nothing like that. The closest was KL Commonwealth Games 1998. All Malaysians - Malays, Chinese, Indians were enthusiatic about that. The organisers had no issues with venues, facilities, volunteers, athletes, staff and food etc.

Singapore is not a sporting nation. Everything is stage-managed and fake, esp. the atmosphere. During the YOG, you can sense the heavy hand of politics behind the Games. Malaysians are different. They are naturally sports-loving and that's why they successfully held the Commonwealth Games; something Singapore can never emulate in terms of spontaneity. Malaysia boleh! :biggrin:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: ah neh said in other forum. look like person pocket some money from the game

I am shocked to hear this news now after the Games village were praised by many. I have myself visited it and it's nothing but awesome and excellent. The infrastructure is among the best and we are sure it will raise new standard, even for the Olympics. Some nations like Australia are showing nothing but ego and attitude as they can't digest India organising such mega sports event. We are sure that after the closing ceremony Delhi will get praises and only praises for organizing a successful event.

Sunil Bhalla, Delhi, India

Haha good one. Did you read the yahoo comments? The British said "Empire should have sterilized them all." Hahahahaha

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: indian view of the games from bbc forum

India is in the Commonwealth because they lost their whole country to the British, and the whole subcontinent to boot, including Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

India today is a British creation. It was not even one single entity to begin with. It is hard to have pride when your country is made up of diverse populations and created by a foreigner from a faraway land. Sounds similar to SG? Only thing going for SG was that the majority shared the common background of being new Chinese immigrants from two southern Chinese provinces. If SG's population was as diverse as that of India, we would probably not be where we are today. But with the recent attempts to mass import foreigners, this pride will be lost if any of it still remains today. Unless the PAP repeats what the British had done, i.e. bring in loads of new Chinese immigrants to overwhelm the local population so that the majority have a shared history again, then maybe that pride can be restored in another 50 years (maybe that's what they are trying to do but I don't see that happening unless there is some event to force most of the immigrants to convert to citizenship). When I said shared history, I don't mean 5000 years of history. As a person's lifetime is only about 100 years, what matters most is a shared history of the last few decades.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Commonwealth Games 2010: SIS Live ‘owed £29m for Delhi coverage’

The company contracted to provide TV coverage of the Commonwealth Games in 2010 that were broadcast across the world is still locked in a protracted battle over payment for its services four years after the Delhi event.

The British-based satellite and broadcast organisation SIS Live claims it is owed £29m for delivering coverage of the event in India, citing unpaid charges, costs, liquidated damages and interest following an entrenched legal dispute.

SIS Live agreed a contract with Prasar Bharati, India’s largest public broadcaster, in 2009 but both parties are some way off reaching an agreement to settle the payment. SIS Live, which at the time employed almost 1,000 people, secured the contract on the strength of the BBC outside broadcast team it had acquired in 2008. Until its contract expired in March this year SIS Live had provided much of the BBC’s sports coverage, including the outside-broadcast feed of the Delhi Games.

Amid serious allegations of corruption, a number of the 32 contractors who provided work in Delhi have yet to be paid for their services. In 2011 the UK high commission in Delhi wrote to the Indian government to express concern at the lack of progress regarding payment to contractors, signed jointly by the embassies of seven European countries and Australia.

“It’s astonishing to come into the next Commonwealth Games to have contractors that have not been paid for the last one,” said Kevin Smith, a lawyer for SIS. “It’s institutional gridlock. We hope with a change of government now that the climate might be more amenable to a settlement being negotiated.

“If anybody had suggested to me when we signed the contract that four years on the issue would still be ongoing, I really wouldn’t have believed them. In my experience this is totally unprecedented. This is the same outside-broadcast team who won media awards for the delivery of the Commonwealth Games in Manchester [in 2002]. The non-payment has harmed everybody associated with it. No one comes out of this with any glory.”

A spokesman for Jawhar Sircar, the chief executive of Prasar Bharati, said: “The matter is sub-judice therefore we would not to comment on the issue.”

The Delhi Games were riddled with controversy, running significantly over budget despite many venues not being fully built. There was a widespread outbreak of illness and reports of contamination in the swimming pool, while accommodation facilities were often left incomplete.

A report commissioned by the Indian government made a number of accusations against SIS Live regarding financial wrongdoing, triggering a criminal investigation by the country’s central bureau of investigation in 2011. After more than a year it found that SIS had no case to answer, but the company’s battle for payment is still ongoing.

The issue has been raised in the UK parliament on more than one occasion with Gerry Sutcliffe, the minister for sport when Delhi was awarded the Games, instigating a debate in September 2013. He said: “It has also been a joy, over the past decade or two, to see India increasingly taking its place at the high tables of the world … for SIS, however, the situation has been even more damaging than the failure to collect a commercial debt because the reputation of the company has been seriously and unfairly attacked, possibly resulting in a loss of future earnings and threatening the very viability of the company.

“I am involved in the issue because I believe that the company has been unfairly treated. We have tried to push the interests of British companies in the world of sport in relation to the next Olympics in Rio in 2016.”

Boria Majumdar, a sports historian and analyst of the Delhi legacy, claims the 2010 Games were a missed opportunity to build lasting foundations for sport in the country, with the International Olympic Committee suspending India for electing officials accused of corruption in 2012. He said: “No major sporting event has been held in the main stadium and [nor is one] planned to be held there, it’s a white elephant. Indian sport has not taken a giant leap forward and it’s a negative legacy.

“There were some positives in terms of the roads and the Delhi metro, but not many. There are no high-standard sporting programmes for schools, colleges or universities. People want to turn things around but it’s an unfortunate situation.”

swimorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal

Doing business in India have to be careful.There is a lot of red tape to go through and under table money. After giving money sometimes they still ask for more and sometimes they take the money but dont deliver.You must know the correct people.