• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cyclist bike with no brakes multiple orgasm by LTA, eventual warrant of arrest. lol

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

ARREST WARRANT FOR USING WRONG BRAKING SYSTEM

I’ve been used my bicycle for the past 3 years or so on a daily basis as a way to commute to nearby places. Never have I gotten into any accident. On September 14th 2021, I was caught by LTA officer for not having a handbrake on my bicycle. Firstly, my bicycle was equipped with a footbrake( also known as coastal brake) instead of a handbrake. It works by pedalling backwards and the brake shoe will engage onto the wheel hub to slow down the bike. It works similarly to handbrake but the method of execution is different. Secondly, I honestly did not know about the new bicycle law about handbrakes. For the past 3 years I have been using the same bicycle to travel and I seldom watch the news. The law was implemented on 1st September 2021 and I was caught on 14th September 2021(2 weeks later). I explained to the officer and he told me to raise this concern to investigation officer instead. I complied and they towed my bicycle on the spot. For the next few months, I have a hard time commuting without my bicycle. As I need to go Singpost often, going there from my house usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes will now take about 20 to 30 minutes. Not to mention all the parcels I need to carry and walk.

More than a month later, the investigation officer called me. She told me my case was still under investigation and asked me to pay a tow fee of $150 to release the bike first. To be honest, this $150 already cost more than my whole bicycle. I then asked her is it possible to toss the bicycle away and not pay the tow fee. She said that it was not possible and asked me to pay immediately. There will be additional storage fee of about $25 or so added on each day if the bike was not collected. So I complied. I have to take a half day to travel to sin ming(near bishan) from bukit panjang to pay the towing fee(can’t pay online) and all the way to Buroh Crescent(near Boon Lay) to collect the bicycle. As I was pushing my bicycle out of the impounding premises, I noticed my bicycle fork was bent. I tried cycling on it for a bit but it was very difficult to balance properly as the handlebar keeps tilting towards one side. But because I reached the place at closing time and the lady there was obviously not very pleased, I decided to take some photos outside the premises and send in an appeal instead. Then, I lalamove my bike back home which cost me another $50.

I went to bike shop but the uncle said my fork can’t be fixed as the metal was bent. Then I installed brakes on it. But maybe because the bicycle was manufactured in a way that the wheel rim paint was more glossy and smooth, the rubber brake pad was unable to have a firm grip on the rim. Making the handbrake very inefficient. The braking distance for handbrake was lesser than using my coaster brake. Then I send an appeal to the MP addressing all these issues along with the photos of the damage to my bike. Few months later, I receive an email from LTA. Not only was my appeal unsuccessful, the damage to my bike was also not addressed. I was also advised to pay an unspecified fine. Because I haven’t receive any prior letter from LTA regarding this fine and how much it was, so I thought they will be sending me a follow up letter and so I waited on it.

Last week, I received a warrant of arrest letter from LTA. I didn’t even know I needed to attend court on April 7th, how much was the fine, etc. That was the first physical letter I ever received from them. No calls, SMS, etc. My bicycle was also damaged in a way that it was very dangerous to ride. It keeps tilting to one side and very hard to balance. I haven’t rode it since I retrieved it from LTA. It was still parked outside my house with LTA stickers on to this day. Now I have to take another half day to attend court along with one family member. Do you think this was fair for me?

Update: Thanks for all who commented. I’ve tilted the front wheel to compensate for bent fork. It works better now ( not the best and still dangerous as wheel is not resting on fork) and manage to take a quick video to show efficiency of both brakes. Bicycle is my primary mode of transport. I use it to commute daily and I don't ride on the road. I live in a one-room rental flat with my mom. Due to the rising inflation, we are already struggling to make ends meet. This has cause another kind of inconvenience for us.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
1655711227171.png
1655711234607.png
1655711241916.png

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yes, the rear hub looks like coaster brake. Why can't he be a normal rider and use handlebar brake levers? Trying to be stylo, izzit?!

Fixies are dangerous and have a bad rep. The law now states that fixies need at least a single brake. Most install it with a front wheel brake caliper.