• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Corruption trial told of trauma suffered by Walter Kwok after 1997 kidnapping

Jar Jar Binks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Corruption trial told of trauma suffered by Walter Kwok after 1997 kidnapping

PUBLISHED : Friday, 03 October, 2014, 6:02pm
UPDATED : Friday, 03 October, 2014, 6:02pm

Toh Han shih

thomas_kwok_01.jpg

Thomas Kwok recalled his brother's kidnapping in court today. Photo: K. Y. Cheng

Walter Kwok Ping-sheung, the former chairman of Sun Hung Kai Properties, was the company’s key representative in dealing with mainland Chinese officials, but could no longer function in that role due to the trauma he suffered from his kidnapping in 1997, his younger brother, Thomas Kwok Ping-kwong, told the High Court today.

Walter Kwok suffered post-traumatic stress disorder including depression after he was kidnapped by Cheung Tze-keung and his gang between September 29, 1997, and October 5, 1997, said Thomas Kwok, the 63-year old co-chairman of Sun Hung Kai.

Thomas Kwok is a defendant in the ongoing corruption trial of former Chief Secretary Rafael Hui Si-yan. Other defendants include Thomas Kwok’s younger brother, Sun Hung Kai co-chairman Raymond Kwok Ping-luen, Sun Hung Kai executive director Thomas Chan Kui-yuen, and former stock exchange official Francis Kwan Hung-sang.

Prior to his kidnapping, Walter Kwok “was our leader. He was responsible for relations between Sun Hung Kai and Chinese officials. He often met government officials. He would go to Beijing,” said Thomas Kwok.

Walter Kwok was unable to perform that role after his kidnapping in 1997, said Thomas Kwok. “Around 2000, Walter Kwok became suspicious of almost everything, including other people. Due to his suspicion and fear, he became silent. He didn’t want to do anything.”

In the first year after his kidnapping, Walter Kwok was in a state of great fear, because Cheung phoned him and his wife Wendy even after Walter Kwok was released, Thomas Kwok said.

Walter Kwok hesitated in making decisions, which delayed business matters, Thomas Kwok added. “His opinions changed everyday, so it became difficult to work with him.”

It was important for Sun Hung Kai to have a representative handling relations with the Chinese government in Beijing, and other major Chinese family firms including Cheung Kong, New World Development and Henderson Land appointed people to similar roles, Thomas Kwok explained.

After 1997, the Kwok brothers’ mother told Thomas Kwok that a Hong Kong woman, Ida Tong, was Walter Kwok’s girlfriend, and Walter Kwok would listen to Tong, Thomas Kwok recalled. “My mother disliked her very much. I learnt from my mother that this lady gossiped about our company’s matters, Raymond and me.”

Thomas Kwok recalled details of Walter Kwok’s kidnapping. He said that on the night of September 29, 2014, Cheung phoned Thomas Kwok.

“He told me he held my elder brother. If I did not believe him, I could go to a place in Repulse Bay, where I would find my elder brother’s car, with the ignition key inside the exhaust pipe,” said Thomas Kwok.

Thomas Kwok went to the location with Thomas Chan and found Walter Kwok’s car, at which point he realised his brother had indeed been kidnapped.

Cheung called Thomas Kwok again the following night, when they arranged a meeting.

He said asking Thomas Kwok to see him. Cheung allowed Thomas Kwok to choose the meeting place and ask someone to drive Cheung to that place. Thomas Kwok asked Thomas Chan to drive to Sun Hung Kai Centre to pick up Cheung.Walter Kwok’s wife Wendy and Thomas Kwok met Cheung at Dynasty Court.

“It was very difficult to bargain with Cheung. He refused to state a figure for the ransom,” Thomas Kwok recalled.

Cheung called again in the afternoon of October 1 and 2, 1997, and he asked to meet the Kwoks’ mother and Raymond Kwok, who agreed to meet him.

“My mother, Raymond, Thomas Chan and Wendy very much wanted Walter Kwok to be released as soon as possible, but he kept delaying,” said Thomas Kwok. Cheung later agreed to a ransom of HK$600 million.

The next day, Raymond Kwok withdrew HK$600 million in cash from the bank and Thomas Chan had to deliver the money to Cheung in two trips, because the car could only hold HK$300 million.

Three days later Cheung phoned to say Walter Kwok had been released.

“Walter Kwok’s ordeal had a great impact on Walter, my mother, my younger brother and the family,” Thomas Kwok said.

After his kidnapping, Walter Kwok would be unable to focus and often fell asleep during business meetings, Thomas Kwok added.

Hui, 66, faces eight counts related to bribery and misconduct in public office. Thomas Kwok, 62, faces one charge of conspiracy to offer an advantage to Hui and two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office. Raymond Kwok, 61, faces four charges, including one with Hui of furnishing false information. Thomas Chan and former Hong Kong stock exchange official Francis Kwan Hung-sang each face two charges.