• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Commit 75hrs/wk and be paid AU$2.5K

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I have been offered a full time job in Melbourne as a store manager but was expected to commit to 75hrs / week, 7 days a week from 10am to 9pm daily. The pay is only AU$2.5K / month.

The job scope range from arranging part time resources to man the cashier, making sure goods are ordered and delivered, stacking up the goods, account receivable, etc. If there are no available part time resources to help, Iam told that I will have to do everything from stacking of goods in the store to manning the cashier. Just to add, you are accountable for profit and loss on a weekly basis and hence any extra resources you recruit will eat into the profit and thus you have to manage this well or else is a One Man Operation.

The only thing I see about this is that it is a full time PERM job which means I can go to a bank to get loan. Assuming that I want to loan $AU$400K to buy a new land and house, I am willingly to cough out $80K for down payment (20%) and loan off the rest. Do you think a bank will assess you and loan you with this sort of salary ?

I did not take the job offer but I am wondering if this is pure exploitation of human resource. I never expect this to come from a 1st world country in Australia or am I not being realistic about it.

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I have been offered a full time job in Melbourne as a store manager but was expected to commit to 75hrs / week, 7 days a week from 10am to 9pm daily. The pay is only AU$2.5K / month.

The job scope range from arranging part time resources to man the cashier, making sure goods are ordered and delivered, stacking up the goods, account receivable, etc. If there are no available part time resources to help, Iam told that I will have to do everything from stacking of goods in the store to manning the cashier. Just to add, you are accountable for profit and loss on a weekly basis and hence any extra resources you recruit will eat into the profit and thus you have to manage this well or else is a One Man Operation.

The only thing I see about this is that it is a full time PERM job which means I can go to a bank to get loan. Assuming that I want to loan $AU$400K to buy a new land and house, I am willingly to cough out $80K for down payment (20%) and loan off the rest. Do you think a bank will assess you and loan you with this sort of salary ?

I did not take the job offer but I am wondering if this is pure exploitation of human resource. I never expect this to come from a 1st world country in Australia or am I not being realistic about it.

keep looking. exploitations are everywhere, worse in SG.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I work 7.6hrs per day and 38hrs per month.. I get $$ > a few X per month.. and I am only a small officer..

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Don't take the job lah...go to centrelink better!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi all,

1. My office cleaner (part-timer) earns more than you.

2. You are not realistic. First world country NOT EQUAL High Pay. It simply means there are more qualified people around after your job.

Why do I say that? My fellow South African expat miners have all kind of perks working in South Africa (car, accommodation, hardship allowance), but in Australia, no such deal!!!

3. A usual working week in WA is 37.5hrs, not sure about yours.

4. If you are in WA, you will be paid overtime and weekend special rates. Shops close at 6pm except Thur/Sat.

5. Are you working for an independent retailer owned by chinese/indian?

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Retail_Store_Manager/Salary

If this is your first job in Australia, you may want to take the job simply to make your situation better. But in the meantime, look for another job.

If you intend to better yourself, eg buy house/good credit rating/better job - don't ever go for Centrelink!!! That one is dead end. Once you are in it, life becomes so comfy that it is hard to get out.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.adlogic.com.au/smejobsearch/jsponly/JobDetails.jsp?jobId=748613

RETAIL STORE MANAGER - KARRINYUP - $40K - $50K + SUPER

BEADING, PAINTING, DRAWING, WEAVING, SEWING AND MORE
EARN UP TO $50,000 + SUPER, INCENTIVES & CAREER PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES!
ROTATING LATE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS

ARE YOU ARTY FARTY? ARE YOU LOOKING TO CONTINUE PAINTING YOUR COLOURFUL CAREER IN RETAIL STORE MANAGEMENT????

LET ME PAINT YOU A PICTURE!

Opportunity to earn up to $50,000 ++
Bonuses, Discounts & Incentives!
Nationwide Arts & Crafts company!
Amazing career opportunities and growth potential!
Fun, friendly and fast team and environment!
Energetic and business minded RETAIL STORE MANAGERS take note, this well known ART and CRAFT company is on the hunt for a unique, gifted and experienced individual to play a significant role in their thriving Karrinyup store.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOUR MOULD?

An ambitious and confident Store Manager with 2- 5 years experience in a creative and eclectic retail environment.
A dynamic business minded individual with the ability to market proactively, think strategically and succession plan.
A fabulous communicator with a colourful flair for customer service.
An inspirational role model, leading and developing individuals and fostering team synergy.
A creative, gifted and artistic individual who loves working in a fast paced environment.
DON'T DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION!
This is an ideal opportunity to sculpt the business and your career into a masterpiece!
GLUEPASTE.WEAVE.THREAD..

YOUR RESUME TO US RIGHT NOW!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retail Store Manager - Electronics - Southern Suburbs - $50,000 - $60,000 +

Various South of the river locations - Close to home!
Excellent base salary plus enticing perks!
Strong career development and progression!

Australia's leader in top brand electrical products is expanding rapidly and seeking a strong RETAIL SALES STORE MANAGER to drive the sales and team to the next level!!!

This is a very exciting time to be a part of a national company who will offer you career development, training and excellent bonuses!!!

Being a part of a larger umbrella company - opportunities to move throughout the business are endless!!!

South of the river locations are available NOW!

Based south of the river, as the Retail Sales Store Manager - YOU will receive :

Great base salary - $50,000 - $60,000 plus super
A friendly and dynamic team to mentor, lead and develop
Discounts galore / Company product discount card
In store incentives and management bonus schemes
Training and on going development
Career progression
The opportunity to be a part of a national leader in the electrical industry
You will possess :

Exceptional retail management experience
Experience in managing in a big box environment / Managing high levels of volume
Solid business acumen and ability to lead, mentor and develop others
The passion and drive to succeed
Strong experience in working effectively to KPI's, budgets and sales targets
Sound interesting? Want to be a part of this success story? Don't hesitate another moment!!!

This position is URGENT and seeking your skills NOW!!

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

sounds like your potential employer is either PRC or taiwanese.. one of those asian shop owners.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
bullshit post or trolling, no one does those hours. not to mention it is below minimum wage.

yes there are such jobs. one of the PRC chap i knew here is working 7 days a week and from morning till dusk in a food factory that is run by a taiwanese. the boss refused to spend more to hire another helper but instead exploit this PRC chap, gave him another $300pw extra and put him on double shift.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I think u earn much better to be a 'happiness consultant', than taking up this job :-)

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes there are such jobs. one of the PRC chap i knew here is working 7 days a week and from morning till dusk in a food factory that is run by a taiwanese. the boss refused to spend more to hire another helper but instead exploit this PRC chap, gave him another $300pw extra and put him on double shift.

Agreed, I didn't consider Asian-owned businesses.

The glaringly obvious conclusion: if you can't speak good enough English to fit into the mainstream, get ready to be exploited.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi all,

fwchong,
If you feel that this is exploitation, you do not need to take up this job. (I take back my earlier comment.)
I am sure that there are many jobs out there that pay the same for less hours work, the question is whether you want the job or not.
If you think this is a 1st world country, you will know that you are not helpless, like in Singapore. There are govt and communities services out there to help you. Eg be your work reference, provide insurance for job familiarisation, etc.
I have been turned down by many employers when I first arrived here. Looking back, I cannot imagine how I managed to overcome all those initial disappointments. But I did.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
i can pay you same amount for 40hours work week if you can paint and clean my house. heck, i will throw in lunches as well...

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Do you have any local OZ working experience?

If no, why don't you take up this job, and just keep on looking for better opportunities? Even thought it is pure exploitation, you still have an income, and also able to apply for a mortgage.

When going for interviews, just apply what you learned in NS :smile: