• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chua Lee Hong attacks on WP

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Chua Lee Hong, St , Published on Feb 2, 2012

***************************************************************************************

Nine months ago, in the eyes of many Singaporeans hungry for political rebalancing, the Workers’ Party (WP) could do no wrong.

It had romped home to victory in Aljunied GRC, breaking the ruling party’s monopoly on Group Representation Constituencies for the first time since the latter were created in 1988, and toppling two ministers and one senior minister of state in the process.

It had brought into Parliament the first opposition candidate with credentials to rival the best from the People’s Action Party (PAP) – Mr Chen Show Mao, top lawyer with an international law firm, former national top student, effectively bilingual, as adept in Tang dynasty history as in corporate law.

Its presence in Parliament included four energetic chaps in their 30s – Mr Pritam Singh, Mr Gerald Giam, Mr Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap and Mr Yaw Shin Leong – bringing with them the promise of new blood in opposition ranks, ready to ensure that ageing veterans like Mr Low Thia Khiang would have successors at the ready.

When Parliament sat in November, for the first time after the general election, all eyes were on the WP team – and while they could not be said to be spectacular, they did not disappoint either.

The WP MPs made speeches that contained thoughtful points reflecting concerns close to Singaporeans, whether relating to education, business, Chinese language or freedom of information.

But then came the new year, and a new sitting of Parliament, and this time, it seemed as if the WP was in self-destruct mode.

The ministerial pay debate that took place two weeks ago could have been the WP’s star turn – an opportunity for it to show that it had a principled approach to the subject, had thought through all options and implications, and had done its homework thoroughly.

Instead, over the three days of debate, which I watched from start to finish, the WP’s deficiencies became painfully clear.

‘If this is a First World Parliament, I want none of it,’ I muttered wearily to a colleague at the end of the three days.

To recap, a ‘First World Parliament’ was what the WP campaigned on in the May General Election.

Its manifesto proclaimed the WP’s aim to ‘form the government’ in the long term, and among other things, declared that ministerial pay should be benchmarked to that of leaders in developed countries.

Calls for transparency were made five times in the manifesto, on matters ranging from crime information and defence to Central Provident Fund money and immigration statistics.

Yet during the ministerial pay debate – and in the days after – the WP has been unwilling and unable to explain its changing stances on ministerial pay.

It has had three positions in five years – pegging to foreign leaders’ pay, pegging to income of the bottom 20 per cent of Singaporeans, and most recently, pegging to the MX9 salary scale in the civil service.

The WP’s key leaders, Mr Low and Ms Sylvia Lim, have steadfastly refused to comment on the subject. It has been left to Mr Gerald Giam, the 34-year-old Non-Constituency MP, to front the WP’s latest position.

Some say that is because Mr Giam, a one-time civil servant, is the key champion of the new formula. But that begs the question: Why the shift from the earlier positions? There is no logical connect between each of the three positions, unlike the formulation by the Committee to Review Ministerial Salaries which was essentially a widening of an existing base of top earners in Singapore.

That lack of transparency on the issue of ministerial pay extends into a more recent saga involving the WP – the Yaw Shin Leong affair.

The 35-year-old MP for Hougang, widely billed as Mr Low’s protege in the run-up to last year’s election, is now the subject of screaming tabloid headlines across Singapore for an alleged extramarital affair with another married party member.

Mr Yaw and all WP leaders have declined to comment on the allegations.

There are two distinct issues here – the behaviour of a public figure, a Member of Parliament, and the evasiveness of a party that has the declared aim of forming the government.

Which carries more weight depends on your personal beliefs, but neither should be a trivial matter.

Back during the hustings last year, the WP was embroiled in a much-publicised battle of words with the PAP as to whether it was a ‘spare tyre’, or ‘co-driver’, or more.

To disarm voters wary of a freak election result in which a party other than the PAP is returned to power, it proclaimed itself as aiming to be no more than a ‘spare tyre’, kept in reserve in case of emergency.

It wanted no more than to be a constructive opposition, it said, and to keep the PAP Government on its toes.

Fine words, lofty aims. But once again, there’s a disconnect that needs to be explained, for its own manifesto makes clear it wants to be more than a spare tyre.

The third paragraph in the manifesto’s introduction says: ‘The WP’s long-term aim is to form the government. While in opposition, we will promote parliamentary democracy by seeking the people’s mandate to be elected Members of Parliament, so that we can call the government to account at the national level.’

The way the WP is going now, it is a long way from being in a position to form the government. Indeed, at the moment, it is the WP itself that needs to be called to account.

[email protected]

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no comments. Let's move on.

Anyway, what's there to comment ? Do I expect Lee Hong to write differently ?

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
People say that WP MP's personal affair can be forgiven and ignored if they can do their public duty well...

Judging from their underperformance in the parliament, it seems that their personal lives have impaired their public duty. If they continue to disappoint in the parliament, then people will have no excuse to forgive and ignore their personal lives.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let me guess, you are not happy because she never asked u to join in the fun?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not surprised. SPH has long reserved Shit Times image discount for the two sisters Mui Hoong and Lee Hoong. It is precisely because of these two opportunists working under PAP editorial team, SPH profit and subscription have plunged from dismal to disasterous. One could also look at another angle, the Chua sisters pensions are frozen, thanks to WP and opposition voters. If this is not revenge what is.

History also proved that Chua Mui Hoong and Chua Lee Hoong are inter-masturbator to see who can reached the highest climax to muse their master LKY. Because of their passion and lust to please with their cunt more than their head, their iron rice bowl is maintained - for many years to come.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chua Lee Hong, St , Published on Feb 2, 2012

***************************************************************************************

When Parliament sat in November, for the first time after the general election, all eyes were on the WP team – and while they could not be said to be spectacular,
And she think PAP candidates are specular like Manchester United soccer game. Oh, I forgot Shanmugam shameless praised SHIT TIMES for being objective and non-partisan. Right, the evidence can never be more telling from Lee Hoong's article.

But then came the new year, and a new sitting of Parliament, and this time, it seemed as if the WP was in self-destruct mode.
And PAP is safe and sound? What about the two chief uniform officers being caught red handed with woman, sex and bribery? What about SLA million dollar fraud, NEA clerks fraud, handling of ponding in orchard road and constant breakdown of MRT? and to say the least Seng Han Tong racist statements. Are PAP neat and clean?

The ministerial pay debate that took place two weeks ago could have been the WP’s star turn – an opportunity for it to show that it had a principled approach to the subject, had thought through all options and implications, and had done its homework thoroughly.

HOmework, did Gerald Ee committee discussed the matters with opposition parties? Did PAP accept the salary framework proposed by opposition parties? If Lee Hoong has always being following thru the parliament debate. Does she still believe that PAP will vote "NAY" or "AYE" end of the day? Did she not know that even the best formula from GOD came to earth, those PAP stooges sitting in parliament have already craved their decision in stone. So what difference does it make whether the debate is sound to her or not.

Instead, over the three days of debate, which I watched from start to finish, the WP’s deficiencies became painfully clear.
Err....painfully biased. I fell asleep over PAP argument. So why she picked on opposition members instead of PAP members is exactly what Shanmugam meant by "objective" reporting.

‘If this is a First World Parliament, I want none of it,’ I muttered wearily to a colleague at the end of the three days.
Oh ya, why was she not borned in North Korea or Myanmar. People are weary of the Shit Times too because there were too many PAP colleagues she worked for. Singaporeans were told.

Calls for transparency were made five times in the manifesto, on matters ranging from crime information and defence to Central Provident Fund money and immigration statistics.
It is not about opposition calling for transparency idiot woman!! IT IS ABOUT SINGAPOREANS CALLING PAP TO BE MORE OPENED WITH DATA WITHOUT MANIPULATING THEM TO LOOK GOD FOR THE PAP.

The 35-year-old MP for Hougang, widely billed as Mr Low’s protege in the run-up to last year’s election, is now the subject of screaming tabloid headlines across Singapore for an alleged extramarital affair with another married party member.
Was there bribery, money involved and our tax monies stolen? Does every man have to report to the chua Spinisters for every extamarital affair? What about FOO MEE HA sex affair with standchart director not mentioned in her selective write-up.

Mr Yaw and all WP leaders have declined to comment on the allegations.
Did PAP come clean with the "maxist conspirator?" Tony Tan also did not wish to comment when confronted with TJS question why PAP opponents were locked up using ISA

There are two distinct issues here – the behaviour of a public figure, a Member of Parliament, and the evasiveness of a party that has the declared aim of forming the government.
Evasiveness is PAP LEEGIME specialty, look at how they answer international repoters's question is telling. People are just taking a leaf from it.
Fine words, lofty aims. But once again, there’s a disconnect that needs to be explained, for its own manifesto makes clear it wants to be more than a spare tyre.
Did she even flip PAP manifesto? every political observer think PAP manifesto sucks in the last election. Fine words and lofty aims. Those mother statments by PAP and swiss standard of livings ain't fine words and lofty?

The way the WP is going now, it is a long way from being in a position to form the government. Indeed, at the moment, it is the WP itself that needs to be called to account.
Oh ya, she need to re-read CATHERINE message why PAP failed to re-invent iself. Who needs more accountability?

[email protected][/QUOTE]

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Goh Meng Seng,

You truly disappoint me. You can even stoop to the level of quoting Chua Lee Hoong just to snipe at your political opponent, WP.

Chua Lee Hoong's rubbish article is so lacking in substance I suspect even your insect brain has more substance (and that's not really saying very much, I admit). What points that WP raised in parliament has she rebutted? What arguments has she demolished? None at all.

The only thing CLH did was to attack WP on the change of formula for computation. In the 1st place, what is so bloody wrong with changing the formula? WP did not win the election or ask for votes based on the precise technical specifics of its formula for minister pay computation. WP appealed to voters based on their general ideology, not on any computational specifics. WP has been saying all along that minister pay must be more wide scale and based on other factors. That has never changed. There is basically nothing wrong with tweaking or updating the formula over time so that it becomes fairer. Besides, WP was not tasked to come up with a formal proposal for minister pay. That job is Gerard Ee's. It is he and his PAP masters who should explain why PAP is changing its own formula for minister pay after so many years of obscene salaries.

Only PAP idiots like you and CLH will say that WP is backtracking and sidetrack from the main political debates.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It would be interesting to find out what CLH think WP should be saying in all those instances she has quoted. If she utter some points that do credit to the opposition, I say she is right with her criticism. Otherwise, it was just a waste of newsprint.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
People

Pls do note that its time that PAP and their media take turns to whack WP. Its common, its normal and no big deal

would u not take the chance to belittle ur opponenet as and when the chances surfaced itself? Even if the matter is a trival one, PAP would attack WP and not comment abt their own.

No body is a saint in politics. and WP aint a saint too. but, at times, trust the strategy that is in place. Been quiet or down performing in parliment is not a bad stage at times. The focus must always be on the grassroots where the vote count.

No use outtalk and outdebate anyone when the MP do not bother to walk the ground and listen to what is the most important: the concern of the people.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
People

Pls do note that its time that PAP and their media take turns to whack WP. Its common, its normal and no big deal

would u not take the chance to belittle ur opponenet as and when the chances surfaced itself? Even if the matter is a trival one, PAP would attack WP and not comment abt their own.

No body is a saint in politics. and WP aint a saint too. but, at times, trust the strategy that is in place. Been quiet or down performing in parliment is not a bad stage at times. The focus must always be on the grassroots where the vote count.

No use outtalk and outdebate anyone when the MP do not bother to walk the ground and listen to what is the most important: the concern of the people.

Agree. But the MSM offers something that is lacking in substance and biased to the extreme, then it often calls for a rebuttal. CLH has been notorious and she should be treated as fair game.

In the normalized political scene, in fact every party has the right to criticize every other party, whether PAP or opposition. The consideration is whether the criticism is fair, or whether it is in fact very biased and emotionally motivated with possibly a hidden agenda.

fischerman12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strange that Lee Hong attacked WP Stand.

Why didn't she question PAP stand why they also shifted. All these while they defended their high pay so rigoriously. Why didn't PAP defend it but to accept the recommendations. Once they accepted it, it means what ever their logic, reasonning, before have also shifted.

Totally nonsence to fault the WP

fischerman12

Alfrescian
Loyal
At Least the WP is maintaining that the main point is salary is too high. formulation may differ or twitted.

PAP is accepting the fact that the committee is right. Our pay is too high and should be reduce. and allowing a review every five years. their shift is even much contentious is a shift in policy.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
TFBH,

You truly disappoint me. You supported WP's notion that PAP should listen to criticism like the Tang Emperor when WP be the Weizheng. But you are saying that WP should not listen to criticisms by others like CLH, even though some of it may be rubbish.

You have been condoning WP for all its shortcoming for whatever reasons. This is really disappointing. If things go on like this, we will never see First World parliament when we are filled with Third World MPs inside.

I did not state anywhere which indicate that I agree with her views. Just plainly state that she has attacked WP, that's all. Why are you over reacting?

I would say that she failed as a critic of WP but that doesn't mean that some of the points which she raised are not valid. WP has screwed up their proposal on ministerial salary and I shall not repeat all the points again. And she has a point, if WP went into GE which is only less than 8 months with a manifesto outlining their stand on the ministerial salary but changes its stand immediately after they walk into parliament! This is not very right; it is just like a hawker tells you that he is selling chicken rice and after you pay the money, he said, sorry, now it is char kueh tiao! How can? If you are the customer, will you accept that? If you do not agree, then it would mean that any political parties could promise anything when they try to win votes during GE but subsequently, can just shift their stand right after GE!

I could hantum PAP on HDB high prices but later, if I get elected, then I can change my stand and sing praises on how good high HDB prices is? I mean, I am not expected to come up with plans on how to run the country nor run MND.... talk only what, why so serious? Is that what First World Parliament is all about?

I am not saying that political parties cannot change stand but it must give good reasons for any changes they made on their policy stand. Else, that amounts to cheating voters' support.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng,

You truly disappoint me. You can even stoop to the level of quoting Chua Lee Hoong just to snipe at your political opponent, WP.

Chua Lee Hoong's rubbish article is so lacking in substance I suspect even your insect brain has more substance (and that's not really saying very much, I admit). What points that WP raised in parliament has she rebutted? What arguments has she demolished? None at all.

The only thing CLH did was to attack WP on the change of formula for computation. In the 1st place, what is so bloody wrong with changing the formula? WP did not win the election or ask for votes based on the precise technical specifics of its formula for minister pay computation. WP appealed to voters based on their general ideology, not on any computational specifics. WP has been saying all along that minister pay must be more wide scale and based on other factors. That has never changed. There is basically nothing wrong with tweaking or updating the formula over time so that it becomes fairer. Besides, WP was not tasked to come up with a formal proposal for minister pay. That job is Gerard Ee's. It is he and his PAP masters who should explain why PAP is changing its own formula for minister pay after so many years of obscene salaries.

Only PAP idiots like you and CLH will say that WP is backtracking and sidetrack from the main political debates.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TFBH,

This is not very right; it is just like a hawker tells you that he is selling chicken rice and after you pay the money, he said, sorry, now it is char kueh tiao! How can? If you are the customer, will you accept that? Goh Meng Seng

Having said your shares, WP did prove action speaks louder than word. They all VOTE AGAINST the bill eventually which is very in line with all opposition party and Singaporeans wish. By this alone, Singaporeans have every reason to vote in more opposition regardless of their party affiliation.

Last edited:

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
"‘If this is a First World Parliament, I want none of it,’ I muttered wearily to a colleague at the end of the three days."

I don't know why that Chua Lee Hoong bothers. The more she writes, the more we know it is crap as she is the 100% PAP stooge in SPH. She is always shamelessly protecting the PAP instead of being a real journalist. A "real journalist" in Singapore is an oxymoron anyway, something like "honest politician".

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
What these 2 sisters are doing in SPH is exactly what Leongsam is doing in this forum. To protect n defend the PAP at all costs, no matter how ridiculous their arguments would sound. Long as their PAP masters know that they are doing that, it doesn't matter how shameless a prostitute they are of the PAP. Ditto Leongsam

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"‘If this is a First World Parliament, I want none of it,’ I muttered wearily to a colleague at the end of the three days."

Chua Lee Hoong think she possessed first world journalism? I want none of that too. I am even more weary of her bullshits day in and out.