• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Surnames

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eat => Shit => Die :rolleyes:

for much of china's history, winner took all. loser clans were slaughtered, women either became whores or were thrown into harems, children became slaves, and surviving males changed their surnames to those of their new masters or adopted those which were not blacklisted by the winners for extermination. dominant clans passed their genes and names down while loser scumbags hid in hills and die off.

devilblue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another purpose of having a surnames in Chinese/Korean/Japanese or chop-stick society practice beside genealogy is the PREVENTION of inbred or incest-insemination of the same blood.

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're like a frog stuck in a well? Wait till you know the English they have Meacock, Hancock, Peacock and all sort of ----cocks as their surnames and then it's intriguing and confusing.

The ongoing presidential illustrates the inadequacy of Chinese surnames adequately. All four candidates are Tans. Useless and meaningless to identify families and clans. When you tell someone, please go and see Mr. Tan (or Lim or Lee etc.), it's meaningless as an address. You need the full name. I'm sure that there're tens of thousands of Tans (or Lims or Lees) out there.

I wonder how the Chinese attach any sense of pride in their surnames. It's like two dozens a penny, two pounds a dime and two tons a dollar all sharing your same surnames.

I struggled with Chinese surnames of my Chinese friends until I gave up, I only remember them by their given names. Every other one is a Tan, Lim or Lee etc. What for remember their surnames?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're like a frog stuck in a well? Wait till you know the English they have Meacock, Hancock, Peacock and all sort of ----cocks as their surnames and then it's intriguing and confusing.

Do these sort of running dogs anything about the ang moh is good. No matter how stupid their surnames sound like it's acceptable.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guess yuo're right. I stand corrected. It seems they are similar to the Danes, Swedes etc who also have the same convention called the Icelandic naming system.

Once it was asked why were there no telephones in China?

The reason is that there are too many Wings and Wongs you might wing the wong number!

You fool wing and wong are cantonese surnames. The entire china doesn't consist of cantonese ppl.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This bugger only targets chinese. What about punjabis? Every male is called singh every female is a kaur.

Btw i remember ram starting a thread like this.

I've never started a thread anything like this. I've only commented that a few years ago PRC was actually looking into the possibility of abolishing one-character surnames starting with one whole generation taking on the combined surnames of both their parents, e.g. Zhanglin, Chenli etc. I remember it has something to do with an DHL ad where the DHL delivery man went to a factory and shouted "here's a package for Mr. Zhang." Half the factory workers came out as all of them are surnamed Zhang. The point of the ad was that DHL is reliable enough to deliver it to the correct Zhang. Anyway, I understand that the idea of surname system overhaul wasn't popular even among communist cadres and faded away.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've never started a thread anything like this. I've only commented that a few years ago PRC was actually looking into the possibility of abolishing one-character surnames starting with one whole generation taking on the combined surnames of both their parents, e.g. Zhanglin, Chenli etc. I remember it has something to do with an DHL ad where the DHL delivery man went to a factory and shouted "here's a package for Mr. Zhang." Half the factory workers came out as all of them are surnamed Zhang. The point of the ad was that DHL is reliable enough to deliver it to the correct Zhang. Anyway, I understand that the idea of surname system overhaul wasn't popular even among communist cadres and faded away.

That dhl ad was retarded as fuck i bet a chinese person produced it to bash his own kind.

Who will simply ask for a person with just his surname?

That's like someone going to some ang moh factory asking for a mr smith.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
My grandmother is Chinese with a very common Chinese surname too. I meant no disrespect to her or all other Chinese too. I'm just making an observation and stating a matter of fact - four contenders of the highest office in the land have the same surname. The commonality far exceeds the Smiths and Joneses as someone cited in retort.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah ! Why So Chim ?

Another purpose of having a surnames in Chinese/Korean/Japanese or chop-stick society practice beside genealogy is the PREVENTION of inbred or incest-insemination of the same blood.

Why suddenly so 'chim' ? Maybe this will help !

[video=youtube;sUMJMk7U3sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUMJMk7U3sk&feature=related[/video]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, are you serious. If you your parents and you grew up in Singapore, it should not be a problem. I can remember my Malay and Indian friends but I admit that Eurasian names are easy.

The interesting thing is that Chinese names have a few common surnames which makes it even easier.

I struggled with Chinese surnames of my Chinese friends until I gave up, I only remember them by their given names. Every other one is a Tan, Lim or Lee etc. What for remember their surnames?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simply ludicrous for someone born and living in Singapore. Maybe having memory retention problem?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no point remembering when all are the same.

Bro, are you serious. If you your parents and you grew up in Singapore, it should not be a problem. I can remember my Malay and Indian friends but I admit that Eurasian names are easy.

The interesting thing is that Chinese names have a few common surnames which makes it even easier.

Exactly because there're too many too common and easy. Read my threadstarting post, it defeats the purpose of identifying families. Let's say, in a classroom of ten Tans, eight Lims and six Lees, surnames become meaningless as identitfiers anymore. Even the teachers, I couldn't remember how many Mr. or Mrs. Tan, Lim or Lee I've had. Perhaps I view this from a different wavelength. To me, surnames are to identitfy families and given names are to identify members in the respective families. Many unrelated Eurasian and western families share similar surnames too, but not to the extent of hundreds of thousands and millions in case of Chinese that four unrelated presidential candidates are all of the same surname. I'm not complaining, it's not my problem. I'm just opening this topic for discussion and hopefully, enlightenment. Thanks. All opinions welcome, just refrain from profanities please, I'm half-Chinese and absolutely not anti-Chinese.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You obviously got it wrong. Nobody remembers just the surname and forgets the the rest of the name. When you say Keng Swee or Goh Keng Swee, please know who you are talking about. If you use just Goh, people might be confused as they do not know if it Chok Tong or Keng Swee.

Most people use the full name or the given name to identify an individual chinese. Why would you be hooked up with the surname only? It means nothing in most instances. It like going to the US or UK and asking the operator to put you thru to Mr Smith. If I ask the Singtel operator to put me to Mr de Souza, he will certainly want more information.

Even you ask the speak to Abisheganaden, they are going to ask which one. Tio Bu?

Exactly because there're too many too common and easy. Read my threadstarting post, it defeats the purpose of identifying families. Let's say, in a classroom of ten Tans, eight Lims and six Lees, surnames become meaningless as identitfiers anymore. Even the teachers, I couldn't remember how many Mr. or Mrs. Tan, Lim or Lee I've had. Perhaps I view this from a different wavelength. Surnames are to identitfy families and given names are to identify members in the respective families. Many unrelated Eurasian and western families share similar surnames too, but not to the extent of hundreds of thousands and millions in case of Chinese that four presidential candidates are all of the same surname. I'm not complaining, it's not my problem. I'm just opening this topic for discussion and hopefully, enlightment. Thanks. All opinions welcome, just refrain from profanities please, I'm not anti-Chinese.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use Nicknames !

There's no point remembering when all are the same.

rich_sweeten_f-15_afterburn.jpg

Must ask Conqueror mah ! That's why nicknames or pilot call signs are given. Your friends' last names from Europa are not surnames ! They are nicknames (variable) ! And these dumb fellas tried to pass them off as surnames (fixed) which is wrong and confusing.

Black, Smith = Blacksmith
Carpenter
(Captain) Cook
(George) Bush
Hill
(John) Little
(Jesus) The Christ

But, the Scots use a different system and it is more like the Arabs or Israelis. Mac means "Son of" like "Bin" in Malay.

So, Ronald Mc Donald means Ronald, the son of Donald (his father) !

Wait till see the bible one, fwah !

So, do you get it now ?

abraham_post1.jpg