• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Buddhism like Bright Hill Chan (Zen) Monastery

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arrogance is the condition in which one is dominated by the selfish ego, competitiveness, paranoid jealousy and the need to be superior in all things. The experiencer is a slave to his/her delusions, viewing oneself as more important than - and superior to - others. This realm is characterized by viewing other beings as potential threats. Still, the rest of the experience in this realm is generally quite pleasant as compared to the human realm.
This condition is comparable to the Buddhist world of the Asuras or 'half-gods'

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kind Cloud Repent Master’s Pure Land Verse
慈雲 懺 主 净 土 文
Ci Yun Chan Zhu Jin Tu Wen
¥
One Heart Life, Western Pure Land, Infinite Life Buddha; 一心 皈命。極樂世界。阿彌陀佛。
YiXin Gui Ming ○ Ji Le ShiJie ○ AMiTo Fo ○

Hope by clean light shine me. 願以净光照我。
Yuan Yi Jing Guang Zhao Wo ○

Know Vow Accept Me, I now correct my thoughts; 慈誓攝我我今正念。
Ci Shi She Wo ○ Wo Jin Zheng Nian ○

Call Tathagata Name, For Bodhi Path. 稱如來名。為菩提道。
Cheng Ru Lai Ming ○ Wei Pu Ti Dao ○

Seeking birth in Pure Land, Buddha’s past original vow. 求生净土。佛昔本誓。
Qiu Sheng Jing Tu ○ Fo Xi Ben Shi ○

If there are sentient beings, desiring bith in my coutnry. 若有眾生。 欲生我國。
Ruo You Zhong Sheng ○ Yu Sheng Wo Guo ○

Will, mind, trust, happy; and even ten recitations. 志心信樂。乃至十念。
Zhi Xin Xin Le ○ Nai Zhi Shi Nian ○

If not born there, not obtain a real awakening to truth. 若不生者。不取正覺。
Ruo Bu Sheng Zhe ○ Bu Qu Zheng Jue ○ ¥

By this chant Buddha karma, gain enter Tathagata. 以此念佛因缘。得入如來。
Yi Ci Nian Fo Yin Yuan ○ De Ru Ru Lai ○

Great vow ocean among, succeed Buddha’s kind power.
大誓海中。承佛慈力。
Shi Hai Zhong ○ Cheng Fo Ci Li○

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
True self mean Purified, 5 precepts, 8 precepts, 10 precepts and Bodhisattva Precepts are all link.

Nirvana is long term chanting Amitabha Buddha Name with meditation.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't believe in the perfection of the paramis. Neither do I believe in the Jataka tales. Much less do I believe in the mysterious bodhisatta vow. They are all ridiculous beliefs that should be discarded.

You can't have one fetter down without the other two also down. That is impossible.

Why do you believe in the perfection of the paramis over multiple aeons? Isn't that a fairy tale just like the Bible story of genesis?

first and foremost, i am debating using what is taught under buddhism this philosophy. if you wish to create and add in your own deviation that is your own issue, for the matter of fact my interpretation or belief does not even matter.

firstly: your belief that there is no need in perfecting paramis is unfounded in any of the tradition, be it mahayana or theravada. this is the very difference why some are private buddha, some are teaching, some are the greater disciples like sariputta and some or just the "normal" one. What you think, and what i think or for the matter does not matter. this is what this tradition teaches and i am arguing based on that. believe it or not, bodhisatta vows this incident is indeed mention in the pali canon. one has to make this vow in front of a sammasambuddha in order to begin the training. again, this is what this philosophy originally taught from what i learn in school, if you wish to create another interpretation, do it in another name and don't add the word buddhism to it.

who say you can only have 1 fetter down and not the other 2. according to your experience? 2ndly facts remain, all traditions maintain the view he cannot attain fruition when i was studying this under YMBA. your interpretation does not matter

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you wish to create another interpretation, do it in another name and don't add the word buddhism to it.

How am I not practising Buddhism? I don't accept things just because it's a tradition. The teaching of the bodhisatta vow and path is based on pure delusion and personal greed. That is my understanding of it.

Oh, by the way, I suppose you know that Gotama nearly became a private Buddha instead of a teaching Buddha. What happened to those paramis perfected over aeons?

If you like traditions, just add the word "traditional" in front of "buddhism". I have an open mind and I don't follow traditions.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
believe it or not, bodhisatta vows this incident is indeed mention in the pali canon.

I don't believe so. In fact, there is one sutta which strongly suggests that Gotama never undertook any form of bodhisatta vow.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.095.than.html

"And, Master Gotama, when having directly known it, you teach the Dhamma to your disciples for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding, will all the cosmos be led [to release], or a half of it, or a third?"

When this was said, the Blessed One was silent.

Then the thought occurred to Ven. Ananda: "Don't let Uttiya the wanderer acquire the evil viewpoint that, 'When I asked him an all-encompassing question, Gotama the contemplative faltered and didn't reply. Perhaps he was unable to.' That would be for his long-term harm & suffering." So he said to Uttiya, "In that case, my friend, I will give you an analogy, for there are cases where it is through the use of analogy that intelligent people can understand the meaning of what is being said.

"Uttiya, suppose that there were a royal frontier fortress with strong ramparts, strong walls & arches, and a single gate. In it would be a wise, competent, & knowledgeable gatekeeper to keep out those he didn't know and to let in those he did. Patrolling the path around the city, he wouldn't see a crack or an opening in the walls big enough for even a cat to slip through. Although he wouldn't know that 'So-and-so many creatures enter or leave the city,' he would know this: 'Whatever large creatures enter or leave the city all enter or leave it through this gate.'

"In the same way, the Tathagata isn't concerned with whether all the cosmos or half of it or a third of it will be led to release by means of that [Dhamma]. But he does know this: 'All those who have been led, are being led, or will be led [to release] from the cosmos have done so, are doing so, or will do so after having abandoned the five hindrances — those defilements of awareness that weaken discernment — having well-established[1] their minds in the four frames of reference, and having developed, as they have come to be, the seven factors for Awakening. When you asked the Blessed One this question, you had already asked it in another way.[2] That's why he didn't respond."

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who say you can only have 1 fetter down and not the other 2.

Did you ever study the Pali Canon? OK, I'll just quote it for you from MN 2.

"He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at precepts & practices. These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing.

Suppressing a fetter and abandoning a fetter are two different beasts. You can only abandon or "go beyond" the fetter of doubt & uncertainty at the point of stream-entry.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you ever study the Pali Canon? OK, I'll just quote it for you from MN 2.

"He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at precepts & practices. These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing.

Suppressing a fetter and abandoning a fetter are two different beasts. You can only abandon or "go beyond" the fetter of doubt & uncertainty at the point of stream-entry.

up to you cock and create your own interpretation. as if i bothered

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 1578 the Mongol ruler Altan Khan bestowed the title Dalai Lama on Sonam Gyatso. The title was later applied retrospectively to the two predecessors in his reincarnation line, Gendun Drup and Gendun Gyatso. Gendun Gyatso was also Sonam Gyatso's predecessor as abbot of Drepung monastery. However, the 14th Dalai Lama asserts that Altan Khan did not intend to bestow a title as such and that he intended only to translate the name "Sonam Gyatso" into Mongolian.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Panchen Lama, or Panchen Erdeni, is the highest ranking Lama after the Dalai Lama in the Gelugpa (Dge-lugs-pa) lineage of Tibetan Buddhism (this lineage controlled western Tibet from the 16th century until the 1959 Tibetan Rebellion). The present (11th) incarnation of the Panchen Lama is a matter of controversy: the People's Republic of China asserts it is Gyancain Norbu, while the 14th Dalai Lama asserted it was Gedhun Choekyi Nyima on May 14, 1995. The latter vanished from public eye shortly after being named, aged six. Chinese authorities stated that Gedhun had been taken into protective custody from those that would spirit him into exile and is now safe. Tibetans and human rights groups continue to campaign for his release.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
n the lineage of the Tibetan Panchen Lamas there were considered to be four Indian and three Tibetan incarnations of Amitabha Buddha before Khedrup Gelek Pelzang, who is recognised as the 1st Panchen Lama. The lineage starts with Subhuti, one of the original disciples of Gautama Buddha. Gö Lotsawa is considered to be the first Tibetan incarnation of Amitabha Buddha in this line.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Tibetan Independence movement is a movement for the independence of Tibet and the political separation of Tibet from the People's Republic of China. It is principally led by the Tibetan diaspora in countries like India and the United States, and by celebrities and Tibetan Buddhists in the United States and Europe.

The movement is not supported by the 14th Dalai Lama, who although having advocated it from 1961 to the late 1970s, proposed a sort of high-level autonomy in a speech in Strasbourg in 1988, and has since then restricted his position to either autonomy for the Tibetan people in the Tibetan Autonomous Region within China, or for the autonomy to extend also to areas of neighboring Chinese provinces inhabited by Tibetans.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to its own accounts, the Theravāda school is fundamentally derived from the Vibhajjavāda (or "doctrine of analysis") grouping which was a division of the Sthavira ("Elders") stream.

(The Sthavira were in turn a breakaway group from the majority Mahāsāṃghika during the Second Buddhist council.) Theravadin accounts of its own origins mention that it received the teachings that were agreed upon the Third Buddhist Council, around 250 BCE, and these teachings were known as the Vibhajjavada. The Vibhajjavādins in turn split into four groups: the Mahīśāsaka, Kāśyapīya, Dharmaguptaka, and the Tāmraparnīya.

Third Buddhist Council is new Buddhist Political Council who breakaway from Second Buddhist Council. Buddhist Protestant.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Second Buddhist council took place approximately one hundred years after the Buddha's parinirvāṇa. Virtually all scholars agree that the second council was a historical event. Traditions regarding the Second Council are confusing and ambiguous, but it is agreed that the overall result was the first schism in the Saṃgha, between the Sthaviras and the Mahāsāṃghikas, although it is not agreed upon by all what the cause of this split was.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The First Buddhist council was convened in the year following the Buddha's Parinibbana, which is 543–542 BCE according to Theravada tradition, at various earlier dates according to certain Mahayana traditions, and various later dates according to certain Western estimates. According to late commentarial accounts, King Ajatashatru sponsored the council. Tradition holds that the Council was held in a hall erected by Ajatasattu outside the Sattaparnaguha (Pali: Sattapanniguha)or Saptaparni Cave in Rajgir, three months after the Buddha had attained "Parinibbhana" (i.e. died). Detailed accounts of the council can be found in the Khandhaka sections of the canonical Vinayas.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fourth Buddhist Council is the name of two separate Buddhist council meetings. The first one was held in the 1st century BC, in Sri Lanka. In this fourth Buddhist council the Theravadin Pali Canon was for the first time committed to writing, on palm leaves. The second one was held by the Sarvastivada school, in Kashmir around the 1st century AD.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Fifth Buddhist council took place in Mandalay, Burma (Myanmar) in 1871 AD in the reign of King Mindon. The chief objective of this meeting was to recite all the teachings of the Buddha according to the Theravada Pali Canon and examine them in minute detail to see if any of them had been altered, distorted or dropped. It was presided over by three Elders, the Venerable Mahathera Jagarabhivamsa, the Venerable Narindabhidhaja, and the Venerable Mahathera Sumangalasami in the company of 2,400 monks. Their joint Dhamma recitation lasted five months.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Sixth Buddhist Council was a general council of Theravada Buddhism, held in a specially built cave and pagoda complex at Kaba Aye Pagoda in Yangon, Burma. The council was attended by 2,500 monastics from eight Theravada Buddhist countries. The Council lasted from Vesak 1954 to Vesak 1956, its completion coinciding with the traditional 2,500th anniversary the Buddha's Parinibbāna. In the tradition of past Buddhist councils, a major purpose of the Sixth Council was to preserve the Buddha's teachings and practices as understood in the Theravada tradition.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
The First Council

For these traditions the first Patriarch in the lineage after the Buddha was Mahakasyapa. Thereafter there were another 26 teachers in India before Bodhidharma, travelled to China in the 5th century CE, becoming the first Ch'an patriarch.

According to Transmission of Light, by Keizan, the 33 patriarchs are:- Shakyamuni Buddha, Mahākāśyapa, Ananda, Shanavasa, Upagupta, Dhrtaka, Micchaka, Vasumitra, Buddhanandi, Puṇyamitra, Parshva, Punyayashas, Aśvaghoṣa, Kapimala, Nagarjuna, Kanadeva, Rahulata, Sanghanandi, Jayashata, Kumarata, Jayata, Vasubandhu, Manora, Haklena, Sinha, Vashashita, Puṇyamitra, Prajnatara, Bodhidharma, Huike, Sengcan, Daoxin, Hongren and Huineng.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
up to you cock and create your own interpretation. as if i bothered

This is not my interpretation. Uncertainty & doubt is one of the five hindrances. It is suppressed by the first jhana and uprooted completely by the path of stream-entry.