• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
If not then you can give $2.00 at their funeral

(this one don't need their invitation) :biggrin:

My standard practice is, $20 whether funeral or wedding. I'll attend the wake and pay respect by bowing, no joss stick please, I don't believe in such. I won't attend Chinese wedding dinner. I'm not used to the practice of everybody digging their chopsticks and spoons into common dishes, so $20 just for well wishes. I've attended some Eurasian weddings and funerals. Usually not lavish affairs (I'm not in rich or elite circles) and $20 is still standard. I've never been invited to other races' weddings or funerals before.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If not then you can give $2.00 at their funeral

(this one don't need their invitation) :biggrin:

hi there

1. uncle, you are damn funny leh!
2. btw, what is the usual and acceptable amt for some m&d's void deck wedding invitation?
3. care to advise.
4. thank you.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they are not like that, how to be rich? They have to take advantage of everything and everybody, it's a way of life for such people.

Cannot blame you and your family from being angry with this kind of low level relatives , got money yet take advantage of others . Although they probably know you are wealthy but they should not embarrass themselves especially holding high positions and must be rich too.

Tell them all their money cannot be brought to Heaven or Hell , they will go with nothing and money still on Earth.

Such people likely to hug their money and will neglect their parents too.Selfish and cheapskate usually go together but they will be punished somehow , its all about Karma.

85 y.o.Fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Basically you are whinging about the ang pows. There should not be a price tag on the person to give ang pow according to his professions or where he worked in. In your case you want to invite high flyers to brag your connections to your in-law people.

Now tell us did you receive any big ones from your high flyer connections, care to share? Did you make any profit despite this whinging on Mr. SIA?

Thank you for all the postings, some are sensible whilst there are also some rubbish . My purpose of posting is to highlight to all bros and sis that there are low class stingy people in this world who just wanted free/cheap meals at the expense of others, of course it will NOT be an issue if they dont give me an ang pow on my invitation ,since we invite without hoping for big ang pows to cover our wedding expenditure. But I am only pissed off with relatives that are well to do who come for a "bargain" , is this the typical kiasu , kiasi & tumsin traits of Singaporeans?

I never expect to profit out of a joyous occasion which is once in a lifetime , but to be met with a cheapskate relative spoils my day . If they did not turn up , I would have been happier BUT their presence with a $100 ang pow for 3 shows they lack manners and respect for their sincere relatives who wanted them to join in the celebrations. I had poorer relatives who came and yet their ang pows are much more than the SC and SIA manager's , anyway , I held another dinner for the poorer relatives who showed their generosity emphasising not to bring any gifts as an appreciation of their presence on my wedding dinner at a restaurant ( Marina Sands again ) to let them enjoy good food without the need to worry about footing the bill.

So dont get me wrong that I am whining because of money to cover my dinner expenses , its simply to warn to be invitees NOT to take advantage of others. Have respect for those who invited them .

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I invited a PRC couple to my wedding dinner at one of the Tung Lok Restuarant. In return they gave us a present, a big chinese teapot! No ang pows hor! One I don't know who, only gave an ang pow containing a piece of cheap jade inside. I accept it all graciously as I feel that wedding dinner is a way of celebrating a joyous occasion with my love ones. Them included. Never did I expect to break-even out of it. Not to mention make some money. Just like you will never expect to make any money from throwing a birthday party for your son. Its the same. This mentality of expecting people to contribute to your fastasy of having an extravagant wedding dinner....tsk! tsk! tsk! If you can't afford, just call a buffet at home lah!

I disagree with you , it is often understood when one is invited to a dinner to find out where it is held and you will roughly know the price of 1 table. Being invited is a tradition so that relatives can meet and witness joyous occasion . It does not mean that you dont bother about how much invitees will contribute .

Nobody with a sincere heart will attend a dinner by giving an ang pau that will NOT be even lower than his own hawker meal. At least be thoughtful for the young newly weds , if you are not willing to over pay at least dont underpay . It is very mean and cruel to spoil the young couple's wedding by being FREE LOADER.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I invited a PRC couple to my wedding dinner at one of the Tung Lok Restuarant. In return they gave us a present, a big chinese teapot! No ang pows hor! One I don't know who, only gave an ang pow containing a piece of cheap jade inside. I accept it all graciously as I feel that wedding dinner is a way of celebrating a joyous occasion with my love ones. Them included. Never did I expect to break-even out of it. Not to mention make some money. Just like you will never expect to make any money from throwing a birthday party for your son. Its the same. This mentality of expecting people to contribute to your fastasy of having an extravagant wedding dinner....tsk! tsk! tsk! If you can't afford, just call a buffet at home lah!

The teapot may be $20
But they need to travel to buy it $10
Then they spend their personal time, opportunity cost - $20

Total $50

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these typical Chinese weddings are getting ridiculous day by day. I understand the tea ceremonies. But since when has it become a show-off event where the couple tries to hold a lavish ceremony in a lavish place just to flex their wealth and in the end, found out they cannot even pay one month of HDB loan.

You said it. The whole idea of the chinese wedding is to celebrate it with people who you are close with. A dinner with lots of good food is sufficient.

In fact, I dare say the whole idea of paying market rate is just a lame excuse to get your guests to help pay for your expansive lavish dinner.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since u feel so lousy about it, just send them a sarcastic email thanking them for their cheapskate hong bao of $100. Remember to draw a cartoon of a big bullock cart wheel!:rolleyes: I, old uncle though not earning much also gave $150 to a recent wedding couple whose reception was held at a restaurant in Changi Airport T3. I went there alone as my wife was overseas. Worse still, couldn't eat much as I had mouth ulcers. Knn senior counsel so gian png!

Uncle that's nice of you. How's your condition now? Getting better I hope?

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is your wedding, not theirs. If you want to show that you can afford
an extravagant one, then you pay for it. So if you cannot afford it, don't
expect others to do it for you.

Couldn't have put it better.... A wedding dinner is a celebration with relatives and friends. The invitation should be a sincere wish to have them there, not a means to cover your expenses.

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think highlighting insensitive and low level professionals attending wedding dinner in this instance is wrong. At least with this message there will be more awareness so that the younger generation who attends dinner in future will not cause embarrassment to themselves.

By inviting friends and relatives to an exclusive place like MBS , we cant assume it's all show-off , the rich will prefer to have a grand dinner to remember this special occasion but surely they will not complain if their poorer relatives send them $30 or $50 ang pow. It depends on who is coming along and his status , but if I invite rich relatives , especially it is stated SC and Senior Manager SIA wife , I would expect them to have the decency to dish out an ang pow that will not put them to shame. They need not put in $500 but at least $200 to $300 for 3 paxs makes sense.

To put in $100 simply tells everybody ,they are out to take advantage , they cant be so misinformed since both are elite class. But it is quite common that such characters exist around us , strangly enough they are usually from a good family background and not those who are poor. The poor are moe generous and thoughtful too, hope this message will reach this family so that they will change their ways. Money is not everything in life, my pastor used to tell us , after death we can either go Heaven or Hell but all our assets still in bank and cannot be brought along .

Me thinks you have missed the point... and your pastor's point too.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couldn't have put it better.... A wedding dinner is a celebration with relatives and friends. The invitation should be a sincere wish to have them there, not a means to cover your expenses.

I can tell you one thing that the TS has not stated.

The TS's uneducated peasant parents invited these cheap rats and asked them not to worry about the ang pao

I doubt TS even know them at all and if so, they didn't communicate at all

When you invite acquaintances, of course you get SHIT

They don't even know or care about your existence in the first place

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for all the postings, some are sensible whilst there are also some rubbish . My purpose of posting is to highlight to all bros and sis that there are low class stingy people in this world who just wanted free/cheap meals at the expense of others, of course it will NOT be an issue if they dont give me an ang pow on my invitation ,since we invite without hoping for big ang pows to cover our wedding expenditure. But I am only pissed off with relatives that are well to do who come for a "bargain" , is this the typical kiasu , kiasi & tumsin traits of Singaporeans?

I never expect to profit out of a joyous occasion which is once in a lifetime , but to be met with a cheapskate relative spoils my day . If they did not turn up , I would have been happier BUT their presence with a $100 ang pow for 3 shows they lack manners and respect for their sincere relatives who wanted them to join in the celebrations. I had poorer relatives who came and yet their ang pows are much more than the SC and SIA manager's , anyway , I held another dinner for the poorer relatives who showed their generosity emphasising not to bring any gifts as an appreciation of their presence on my wedding dinner at a restaurant ( Marina Sands again ) to let them enjoy good food without the need to worry about footing the bill.

So dont get me wrong that I am whining because of money to cover my dinner expenses , its simply to warn to be invitees NOT to take advantage of others. Have respect for those who invited them .

Sorry, if you wanted to teach us a lesson, you should have just stuck to the part about your relatives declining your invitation and then accepting it when they found out about the location. Period.

Don't think you have understood our negative replies to you. It DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH, WHOEVER GIVES!! If somebody is INVITED to a dinner, is he taking advantage by not paying for it??

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, if you wanted to teach us a lesson, you should have just stuck to the part about your relatives declining your invitation and then accepting it when they found out about the location. Period.

Don't think you have understood our negative replies to you. It DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH, WHOEVER GIVES!! If somebody is INVITED to a dinner, is he taking advantage by not paying for it??

The problem is that he is an idiot who didn't think about the consequences of inviting distant relatives.

When you invite acquaintances or people not close to you, of course you get SHIT

They don't even know or care about your existence in the first place

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak... whoever disagrees with you speaks rubbish... honestly your posts speak more about yourself than your "stingy" relative who came for a "bargain"