• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cancer prevention and strategy for cure

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi johnny in regards to food i'm, on a high fat high protein low carb diet and i'm thinner now. I still eat the same amount of food though. Lots of fried or roasted chicken with veggies and all etc. Yeah in western food it comes with french fries which are carbs but i don't want to throw them away so i eat them.

I suggest you avoid the fried chicken & fries. Fried foods means plenty of oxidisation & trans fats which is unhealthy. In the case of fries, some believe it is carcinogenic. Can read about it here & decide for yourself, http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2213-potential-carcinogen-revealed-in-french-fries.html

If you want to eat chicken having it broiled is healthier but I would be careful about eating too much chicken because nowadays they use hormones & antibiotics on those chickens. You should diversify your diet & get proteins & carbs from plant sources. Be aware that the bad carbs are from processed foods. I've never known people to get fat from eating fresh veggies & fruits :smile:

People with heart issues are advised to cut their intake of animal protein. However even if you don't fall into this group & want to pursue a healthier lifestyle, I'd recommend cutting back on meats & include more non-animal sources of protein e.g. tofu, tempe, & beans.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might be pleasantly surprised by the cabbies there. Some have actually worked in Spore & sympathise with us "lesser mortals" :smile:

Heard from the Living in JB thread that Malaysians only need to pay RM1 medical fee in public hospitals. Looks like their government takes better care of their citizens.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unprocessed cashew nuts are poisonous. What you find in supermarkets are steamed or roasted & are safe.

At NTUC you can find raw organic almond nuts for $9+ . Walnuts is also good for the heart & it's anti-cancer properties. I'm no fan of nuts but willing to add it to my diet for it's health properties.

You mean even the raw nuts at supermarket are already steamed and can eat already? The NTUC organic nuts need to roast before eating?

I also originally not a nut lover but started eating it for health purpose. However, almonds are pretty tasty lah. Walnuts and the other nuts are good too, just that all these nuts (except peanuts) seem to more expensive than almonds?! Plus read somewhere that only almond and brazil nuts are alkaline foods while the other nuts are acidic foods.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean even the raw nuts at supermarket are already steamed and can eat already? The NTUC organic nuts need to roast before eating?

I also originally not a nut lover but started eating it for health purpose. However, almonds are pretty tasty lah. Walnuts and the other nuts are good too, just that all these nuts (except peanuts) seem to more expensive than almonds?! Plus read somewhere that only almond and brazil nuts are alkaline foods while the other nuts are acidic foods.

All cashew nuts being sold are already steamed or roasted, otherwise there would be many poison cases.
However as for the other nuts depends, must read the packaging.

Everything seems to be expensive in Spore, it's the PAP taxes :(

Don't know about acidic/alkali, but studies out there have found that walnuts & almonds are healthy foods. Taking a look at the packaging of the almond nuts I bought today and the nutrition info it provides indicates: carbohydrates,sugar, dietary fibre, saturated fat, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, protein, vitamin B6, foliate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassim, zinc. Pretty impressive huh:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard from the Living in JB thread that Malaysians only need to pay RM1 medical fee in public hospitals. Looks like their government takes better care of their citizens.

A JB cabby told me that he had a heart attack & was hospitalised, but he didn't pay a cent because he was able to get a letter from his community leader indicating that he was poor :eek:

Just imagine going to your PAP MP & trying to do that in Spore:rolleyes:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know about acidic/alkali, but studies out there have found that walnuts & almonds are healthy foods. Taking a look at the packaging of the almond nuts I bought today and the nutrition info it provides indicates: carbohydrates,sugar, dietary fibre, saturated fat, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, protein, vitamin B6, foliate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassim, zinc. Pretty impressive huh:smile:

Yes indeed a search of top 5 nuts shows walnut & almonds as top 2 for three websites, the other 3 types of nuts are not the same.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/healthy-nuts/
1. Almonds
A small handful of almonds gives you almost 25% percent of your daily needs for magnesium, and more bone-strengthening calcium as an equal amount of cow milk.

They are also high in many antioxidants, such as vitamin E and selenium. Studies show that almonds may play and important role in preventing colon cancer due to their high fiber content. Almonds also help us to actually lower negative forms of cholesterol in the blood stream.

2. Walnuts
One of the best nuts on earth, walnuts may actually increase our brain function. Studies show that consumption of walnuts is related to heart-health, better cognitive function, as well as the reduction of skin and bone conditions. Packed full of an antioxidant known as ellagic acid, researchers have shown that walnuts contain 16 disease-fighting polyphenols.

3. Pecans
Recent clinical studies show that this nut significantly lowers cholesterol. Pecans are also a great source of twenty essential vitamins and minerals.

4. Brazil Nuts
Also high in heart-healthy nutrients and minerals like copper, niacin, vitamin E, fiber, magnesium, and selenium, studies on Brazil nuts show that this protein-packed snack may aid in the prevention of breast cancer.

5. Cedar Nuts
Siberian Cedar nuts, originating in Russia, hold 70% of the essential amino acids that the body needs. They also contain high amounts of Vitamin A, B and D, as well as% tocopherol-containing Vitamin E. This exotic nut also contains a special form of Vitamin P, a vital fatty acid similar to fish oil, which is known for reducing the amount of LDL cholesterol, keeping the arterial walls free of disease-causing inflammation and plaque.

http://www.askdrmanny.com/national-nutrition-month-the-top-five-healthiest-nuts/
1. Walnuts

Recent research suggests that when it comes to health benefits, walnuts are your best bet. While their flavor can be polarizing, they can make a great addition to salads, banana bread, or other desserts (eat very sparingly, in this case). I personally love them mixed in a salad with cranberries, goat cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette.

When you add walnuts to the menu, you’re getting a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which help protect the heart, promote cognitive function and have anti-inflammatory benefits for conditions like asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, eczema and psoriasis.

Walnuts have also been shown to have twice the amount of antioxidants of any other nut (and the antioxidants are higher quality too!) Antioxidants can protect cells against the effects of free radicals, which can damage cells and help cause heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

2. Almonds

Almonds are one of my favorite nuts because of their health benefits and their versatility. Buy them sliced and they’re a great topping for almost any recipe, from fish to green beans. I sneak in a quarter cup of almonds early in the day with my oatmeal, along with peaches and a small spoonful of honey. It’s a great- tasting way to start the day off.

This small serving, believe it or not, has nearly 25 percent of the recommended daily value of magnesium, and is also chock full of potassium, manganese, copper, the antioxidants vitamin E and selenium, and calcium. It almost has as much calcium as a similar serving size of milk.

Also, thanks to their high fiber content, almonds are great for the colon – and even may decrease a person’s risk of colon cancer.

3. Cashews

Cashews are one of those nuts I think are tasty enough to munch on all by themselves. (In fact, I have a hard time putting the bowl down when these are served!) But if you’re not sold on their taste, try them in delicious ethnic recipes. They’re especially popular in South American, Indian and Asian dishes. They mix in well with curry and also – one of my favorites – Chinese cashew chicken. All you need is the cashews, boneless chicken breast, red and green peppers, onion, garlic, and soy sauce – and any other mix-ins you love – and you’ve got a tasty, easy-to-make stir-fry.

The best part is, no matter what recipe you throw them into, you can do so with less guilt. Cashews are lower in fat than most other nuts and 65 percent of the fat they do have is unsaturated fatty acids, including oleic acid, which is the same heart-healthy fat found in olive oil.

Cashews are also a good source of copper, magnesium, zinc, iron and biotin.

4. Pecans

Pecans, I think, have the worst reputation of all the nuts because of how frequently they show up in high-calorie, nutritionally-deficit recipes (pecan pie, anyone?) But next time you have pecans, they don’t have to be as a part of some guilty calorie-bomb. Step away from the sugar encrusted recipes, and try them mixed in with a whole-wheat pasta or brown rice or as a topping for sweet potatoes. Like walnuts, they also go great in most salads – especially if that salad includes pears.

So don’t keep avoiding one of the best nuts in your pantry! Pecans have over 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamins E and A, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, B vitamins and zinc. They’ve also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and help clear out arteries.

5. Pistachios

Sorry for those of you hoping for the always-popular peanuts, but pistachios are here to round out the list of the top 5 healthiest nuts – although, in my opinion, pistachios are much, much better tasting than peanuts anyway. Plus, they have the added benefit of being surrounded by a shell, making it that much harder for you to binge on them.

Pistachios are a great complement to most vegetables, like artichokes or green beans, and they also go well with most recipes involving pesto. For a quicker fix, try them mixed in with Greek yogurt and sliced apricots.

Pistachios come with 30 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients and are a terrific source of fiber, which makes them a healthy and filling snack.

http://astronutrition.com/blog/benefits_top_5_nuts
1. Almonds. Almonds should be one of the first nuts that you reach for-they are packed with flavonoids. These compounds fight cancer causing free radicals in the body and reduce inflammation. They also contain protein, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium and healthy fats.

2. Walnuts. Walnuts are high in omega-3 fats which is an essential fatty acid that the body cannot produce on its own. This “good fat” has been shown to build stronger bones and reduce the risk of heart disease.

3. Pecans. Pecans are extremely high in vitamin E which is great for the skin. They also provide a source of zinc, fiber, and manganese. Lately, several studies have also shown that eating pecans can boost the immune system.

4. Pistachios. These tasty nuts are a great snack which can be enjoyed guilt free. They are great for lowing bad cholesterol levels in the body and contain a notable amount of antioxidants which help fight age and disease in the body.

5. Peanuts. This popular nut is extremely high in protein and will help you feel full for longer. Peanuts are also a good source of Vitamin E, niacin, and folate.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes indeed a search of top 5 nuts shows walnut & almonds as top 2 for three websites, the other 3 types of nuts are not the same.

Been looking around at NTUC & Mustaffa, & I was surprised that they haven't got any walnuts :eek:

However the supermarket at Mustaffa has a pretty good selection of nuts e.g. almonds, cashew, Macademia, etc. They've got different brands & sizes. They've also got a good selection of dried fruits & dates.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been looking around at NTUC & Mustaffa, & I was surprised that they haven't got any walnuts :eek:

However the supermarket at Mustaffa has a pretty good selection of nuts e.g. almonds, cashew, Macademia, etc. They've got different brands & sizes. They've also got a good selection of dried fruits & dates.

Try the Chinese medical shops, they sell walnuts. Must make sure fresh, walnuts go rancid easily.

Mustafa also has a wide selection of chocolates. Dark chocolate with >70% cocoa is good for the heart too. I also not a fan of chocolate but eat it occasionally.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mustafa also has a wide selection of chocolates. Dark chocolate with >70% cocoa is good for the heart too. I also not a fan of chocolate but eat it occasionally.

If you are looking for organic coco without the extras take a look at coccardio from madre labs, available via www.iherbs.com. I've tried some when they sent me a sample packet.
http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-CocoCardio-7-93-oz-225-g-Re-Sealable-Bag/23802?at=0

It's diabetic friendly as no sugar is included. Personally I would add honey or agave nectar which are natural & low glycemic sweeteners. They've also included beet & hibiscus which is good for the heart.

I'm using some of Madre Labs other powdered products e.g. Simply Acai, Midori Green, Acai Heart. They use organic ingredients without the fillers.

Unfortunately they've discontinued Acai Heart which I'm using. Although a good product, it didn't catch on in the market.:( Madre labs did provide info on how I can put together a similar formula by using other company's products. They are a good company:smile:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are looking for organic coco without the extras take a look at coccardio from madre labs, available via www.iherbs.com. I've tried some when they sent me a sample packet.
http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-CocoCardio-7-93-oz-225-g-Re-Sealable-Bag/23802?at=0

It's diabetic friendly as no sugar is included. Personally I would add honey or agave nectar which are natural & low glycemic sweeteners. They've also included beet & hibiscus which is good for the heart.

I'm using some of Madre Labs other powdered products e.g. Simply Acai, Midori Green, Acai Heart. They use organic ingredients without the fillers.

Unfortunately they've discontinued Acai Heart which I'm using. Although a good product, it didn't catch on in the market.:( Madre labs did provide info on how I can put together a similar formula by using other company's products. They are a good company:smile:

First time i heard about Acai, just read it in iherb, so it is a dark purple berry that grows on palm tree. The Madre labs cocoa powder seems interesting too, probably can mix into instant oats. I used to mix black sesame powder into instant oats. Oh why don't you take the Madre labs cocoa powder with Cordyceps instead? Cordyceps sound expensive :biggrin:

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-CocoCeps-Powder-7-93-oz-225-g-Re-Sealable-Bag/23648?at=0

I just received my iherb order today. Pretty fast delivery considering it is promo free shipping - 12 working days!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First time i heard about Acai, just read it in iherb, so it is a dark purple berry that grows on palm tree. The Madre labs cocoa powder seems interesting too, probably can mix into instant oats. I used to mix black sesame powder into instant oats. Oh why don't you take the Madre labs cocoa powder with Cordyceps instead? Cordyceps sound expensive :biggrin:

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-CocoCeps-Powder-7-93-oz-225-g-Re-Sealable-Bag/23648?at=0

I just received my iherb order today. Pretty fast delivery considering it is promo free shipping - 12 working days!

In case you haven't read about Acai, here's some background info http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/jun2010_The-Science-Behind-Acai_01.htm

I learned about Acai from visiting health stores like GNC, Eden, Natures Farm. If you look at the products from these health stores, you'll find out about the superfruits like Acai, Goji, Mangostein,.....

Even if one doesn't order from iHerb, one can learn alot by studying the database of products. What I find useful are the reviews. Many of the health problems the americans are facing are similar to what we in Spore face:eek:

I'm already taking plenty of single ingredient products like magnesium, vit D, vit C, vit E, resveratrol, hawthorn, gingko, carnitine, arginine, alpha lipoic, pycnogenol, ubiquinol, Astaxanthin, DHEA, etc.

What I'm now trying to do is to take fewer single ingredient products & more whole food products like those from Madre labs.

I also took advantage of the free delievry offer to order 2 products I've never tried before. :smile: One containing 12 fruits & the other a high ORAC fruit blend mix.
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Orchard-Fruits-12-Fruits-60-Vcaps/4143?at=0
http://www.iherb.com/Macrolife-Naturals-Miracle-Reds-Anti-Oxidant-Super-Food-30-oz-850-g/7781?at=0

I was considering adding mushrooms to my diet & was thinking of getting Jarrows Mushroom Optimizer because it has a blend of 7 mushrooms:
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Mushroom-Optimizer-90-Capsules/243?at=0

With so many products out there, you now know why I rotate :smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've heard that red wine has cancer and heart disease qualities while white wine has not. Is the difference between the skin color of the grapes so important? For the implication extends beyond wine and alcohol, for those who eat grapes, whether to choose red or green.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've heard that red wine has cancer and heart disease qualities while white wine has not. Is the difference between the skin color of the grapes so important? For the implication extends beyond wine and alcohol, for those who eat grapes, whether to choose red or green.

It seems that darker skinned fruits have higher antioxidant properties e.g. blue berries, acai, strawberries, pommegranate,.... Dark veggies also seem to be healthier?.

Even if you don't drink, you can still get the benefits by taking reseveratrol supplements e.g extracted from red wine. Reseveratrol has proven to be anti-aging, good for the heart, etc

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
In case you haven't read about Acai, here's some background info http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/jun2010_The-Science-Behind-Acai_01.htm

I learned about Acai from visiting health stores like GNC, Eden, Natures Farm. If you look at the products from these health stores, you'll find out about the superfruits like Acai, Goji, Mangostein,.....

Even if one doesn't order from iHerb, one can learn alot by studying the database of products. What I find useful are the reviews. Many of the health problems the americans are facing are similar to what we in Spore face:eek:

I'm already taking plenty of single ingredient products like magnesium, vit D, vit C, vit E, resveratrol, hawthorn, gingko, carnitine, arginine, alpha lipoic, pycnogenol, ubiquinol, Astaxanthin, DHEA, etc.

What I'm now trying to do is to take fewer single ingredient products & more whole food products like those from Madre labs.

I also took advantage of the free delievry offer to order 2 products I've never tried before. :smile: One containing 12 fruits & the other a high ORAC fruit blend mix.
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Orchard-Fruits-12-Fruits-60-Vcaps/4143?at=0
http://www.iherb.com/Macrolife-Naturals-Miracle-Reds-Anti-Oxidant-Super-Food-30-oz-850-g/7781?at=0

I was considering adding mushrooms to my diet & was thinking of getting Jarrows Mushroom Optimizer because it has a blend of 7 mushrooms:
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Mushroom-Optimizer-90-Capsules/243?at=0

With so many products out there, you now know why I rotate :smile:

Thanks for the article, oic Acai berry has the highest antioxidant super food. So what is the difference with CoQ10 which is also antioxidant? I ordered a bottle of this CoQ10 to make up the minimum $40 requirement for free shipping :smile:

http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-CoQ10-Gels-Kaneka-Q10-100-mg-60-Softgels/4134?at=0

The ORAC fruit blend mix you ordered seems good but not cheap at USD64.77 for 90 servings.

Yeah must eat mushroom, it is a good meat substitute and very tasty for the white button mushrooms.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the article, oic Acai berry has the highest antioxidant super food. So what is the difference with CoQ10 which is also antioxidant? I ordered a bottle of this CoQ10 to make up the minimum $40 requirement for free shipping :smile:

http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-CoQ10-Gels-Kaneka-Q10-100-mg-60-Softgels/4134?at=0

The ORAC fruit blend mix you ordered seems good but not cheap at USD64.77 for 90 servings.

Yeah must eat mushroom, it is a good meat substitute and very tasty for the white button mushrooms.

The US$64.77 "Miracle Reds" should last about 2 to 3 months. Will know how good it is after I've tried it:smile: From the reviews it's gotten I'm pretty sure it's a good product. It's got an impressive range of ingredients like goji, pomrgranate, aciai, mangostein, etc, etc, etc:eek: All natural & organic.

I take the Ubiquinol form of C0Q10 & not ubiquinone. Ubiquinol is suppose to be easier for the body to absorb than ubiquione. I take 200mg daily. All the books I've ever come across recommend it, especially for heart health. It's something the body cannot manufacture. Antioxidants is a general term and in the case of CoQ10 it helps with heart issues.

For those taking statin drugs, they MUST supplement with CoQ10 because statines deplete C0Q10 from the body.
FYI, if you look at the local stores CoQ10(ubuiqone) is very, very expensive in Spore:(

The benefits of mushrooms is that it improves the bodies immune system. Reishi, cordycepts are all expensive in Spore. Already taking alot of other things that helps my immune system. Otherwise I might consider it. Already having problems taking all the pills I have.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The US$64.77 "Miracle Reds" should last about 2 to 3 months. Will know how good it is after I've tried it:smile: From the reviews it's gotten I'm pretty sure it's a good product. It's got an impressive range of ingredients like goji, pomrgranate, aciai, mangostein, etc, etc, etc:eek: All natural & organic.

I take the Ubiquinol form of C0Q10 & not ubiquinone. Ubiquinol is suppose to be easier for the body to absorb than ubiquione. I take 200mg daily. All the books I've ever come across recommend it, especially for heart health. It's something the body cannot manufacture. Antioxidants is a general term and in the case of CoQ10 it helps with heart issues.

For those taking statin drugs, they MUST supplement with CoQ10 because statines deplete C0Q10 from the body.
FYI, if you look at the local stores CoQ10(ubuiqone) is very, very expensive in Spore:(

The benefits of mushrooms is that it improves the bodies immune system. Reishi, cordycepts are all expensive in Spore. Already taking alot of other things that helps my immune system. Otherwise I might consider it. Already having problems taking all the pills I have.

That is right, have problem if take too many pills. Now my one calcium supplement already mean 4 pills per day. :smile:

Oic CoQ10 is a requirement for people taking statin drugs. I bought Q10 for anti-aging effect. :biggrin:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is right, have problem if take too many pills. Now my one calcium supplement already mean 4 pills per day. :smile:

Oic CoQ10 is a requirement for people taking statin drugs. I bought Q10 for anti-aging effect. :biggrin:

I take at least 20 pills a day. Even when I go on trips I make sure to at least take along the multi-vitamins.
I've been through the hospital system & don't want to do a repeat.

I have tried to reduce but it caused "problems". You have to invest in your own health.
Many Sporeans think nothing of investing in a car, clothes, house & yet scrimp on healthy foods & supplements.
They see the results of this when they get older. If you hang around NUS you'll many see uncles/aunties with various problems.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bros, just cut out the meats and we will all be alot healthier.

While doctors may not be the authority, they do provide good imputs where health is concerned...
http://www.suprememastertv.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=veg_good&wr_id=84&url=link3_0#v

CNN did a story about the problems americans are having with obesity & heart problems. There is a solution that has proven to stop heart problems & reverse it. The solution is to simply change one's diet.
They highlighted the work of 2 doctors, Ornish & Esselstyn that have proven that this strategy works. If you want to read more of how the program works get the following books:

Dr. Dean Ornish's program for Reversing Heart Disease
http://www.amazon.com/Ornishs-Progr...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315423459&sr=1-2

Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease
Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. MD
http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Rever...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315423621&sr=1-1

In a nutshell, eliminate meats, oils, dairy products from your diet. It's not easy but americans who have gone through these program have actually reverse blocked arteries.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
You take so much pills, will they cause problems like stone in the liver and kidneys?

I take at least 20 pills a day. Even when I go on trips I make sure to at least take along the multi-vitamins.
I've been through the hospital system & don't want to do a repeat.

I have tried to reduce but it caused "problems". You have to invest in your own health.
Many Sporeans think nothing of investing in a car, clothes, house & yet scrimp on healthy foods & supplements.
They see the results of this when they get older. If you hang around NUS you'll many see uncles/aunties with various problems.