• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

pohchuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi SB forumers

Thank you for all the advice(s). I have integrated all the comment and discover that all can fit perfectly into my simple plan. If you are wondering how it fits, read on:

Firstly, for now, I will continue stay in Singapore for abt 2 yrs and settle all financial matters here. So this gives me time to manage the rental of the HDB and provide the initial 2 yrs buffer rental income that can come in handy later in case there is difficulty in renting the flats later on due to economic downturn etc.

Second, when I arrive in Vancouver, I would probably stay on my own in a rental property for half a year nearby my wife's home before purchasing a town house with downpayment paid using my 300k savings. That will give me ample left overs to tide down raining days. This half year will also give me time to approach employment agencies and tried out various casual jobs.

Third, a good 4 to 5 yrs would have passed before I obtain my Canadian citizenship as there is a requirement for a minimum stay in Canada before application for citizenship can be accepted plus waiting time for citizenship to be granted and renunciation of Singapore citizen is executed. That 5 yrs time is long enough for me to know abt Canada and if should decide to retain or forgo Singapore Citizenship.

Well, as mentioned earlier, I would approach this one step at a time and decide as events unfold infront of me. Maybe I am just a person who lives in the present, and prefer not to look at the past (to regret) or to the future (to worry). I want to make decision for the present and the immediate present is to plan for reunion with my kid and my ex-wife so that I will not miss this time when I can bond and cultivate parent and child relationship with my kid.

To everyone here: Million of thanks for your sincerity in giving out info freely and also according to what you know best. So wish me luck, I look forward to meeting you all in Canada.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi SB forumers

Thank you for all the advice(s).

"Advice" is a non countable noun; you do not add an "s" to make it plural.

"Advice" is like "Rice". You say... "Please pass me the Rice." You don't say "Please pass me the rices" because "Rice", like "advice", is a non countable noun.

There are many other examples. To test your knowledge of non countable nouns, go to English Language Quiz - Countable or Non-countable Nouns (I-TESL-J) and take the test.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, I am so glad I did not buy any property from him.

Just two things to say:

1) If you did not buy any property, why did you transfer money to him as a deposit? Money only enters the picture after a contract is signed.

2) I'm not sure if you transferred the money to his personal account. For property purchases deposits should be transferred to an independent trust account, which is a special account set up for precisely this purpose.

Anyway it's a good lesson learnt. Don't be discouraged, there are all sorts of people in this world. Just do be more careful and read up on the real estate procedures the next time. Wishing you all the best in your new life.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
pohchuan:

Here is a good one for you to think about.

My 3rd elder brother, David just called me from Singapore. He flew back from Shangai because he "discovered" that his PRC engineer tenant who rented the whole house, "secretly" move in his mother-in-law from China!

Wow lau, lucky my brother finds out fast, because if not he can be caught by the HDB and at worst his flat can be confisticated as all tenants must be reigstered with the HDB. It is very easy to be found out by the HDB bec. whenever the mother-in-law renews her Singapore visa she must state the place she stays. If the address is being used too often, the immigration side could easily alert HDB. He got to fly back to Singapore to sort out the issue. This is the 2nd time he needs to fly back for this type of tenant's problem within a year. Would anyone border to become Power of Attoney for him or you? Can you find such a capable and after-eating-nothing-to-do type to help you. You wait long long to find such person.

Could this happen to you ...maybe not ...you might want to rent to a Indian engineer from India....he might not bring his mother-in-law......but his whole village!

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
pohchuan:

My 3rd elder brother, David just called me from Singapore. He flew back from Shangai because he "discovered" that his PRC engineer tenant who rented the whole house, "secretly" move in his mother-in-law from China!

Wow lau, lucky my brother finds out fast, because if not he can be caught by the HDB and at worst his flat can be confisticated as all tenants must be reigstered with the HDB. It is very easy to be found out by the HDB bec. whenever the mother-in-law renews her Singapore visa she must state the place she stays. If the address is being used too often, the immigration side could easily alert HDB. He got to fly back to Singapore to sort out the issue. This is the 2nd time he needs to fly back for this type of tenant's problem within a year. Would anyone border to become Power of Attoney for him or you? Can you find such a capable and after-eating-nothing-to-do type to help you. You wait long long to find such person.

Could this happen to you ...maybe not ...you might want to rent to a Indian engineer from India....he might not bring his mother-in-law......but his whole village!

One factor is that Singapore real estate agents, and correct me if I am wrong, don't actively manage the property for you. So they have no incentive to make the relationship last.

They just match you to a tenant, take their one month's rental and off they go to the next deal. You're on your own after that.

Another problem is to my knowledge the rights and responsibilities of both parties are not widely known, there is no active residental tenancies authority, noises have been made about one but I don't think anything has eventuated yet.

pohchuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
pohchuan:

I have acted for my ex-wife when renting her HDB flat out. True, tenants are a shit lot, but Singapore tenancy law is actually quite unprotective towards tenants. I met this type of tenant once, kick him out and forfeit his 2 months rent. HDB letter abt him getting his folks to stay and make a din comes in handy to evict him actually. Then re-rent the flats out. A good realtor handles this for me. Neighbours complain abt my tenants a lot but I am not there to listen to them. I may sound cool, but the flat is an asset and that asset has to produce yield regarless of neighbour or bad tenant. It is part of asset management.

But hey, thanks for the reminder, I need to appoint a good power of attorney. Now to find that person; perhaps my realtor brother can do this job.

You all have been great, lots of issue are surfaced and I am constantly reminded to be on the lookout for potential pitfalls. This will help me to get the set up ready before I fly there.

pohchuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Met up with a friend working in CPF. He has climbed up the ladder, and perhaps in the know abt the ins and outs of CPF.

So I asked him if CPF is aware that unlike foreign countries' pension fund system; Singaporeans who emigrated have the advantage of withdrawing their CPF since there is no blanket pension in the country with "guaranteed minimum sum" but a provident funds system that are based on the aggregate amount contributed (you collect what you sow).

And his reply is that, they are aware of this fact but it is still better to allow that person who is emigrating to withdraw the whole lumpsum than to let the funds sit in the CPF. That funds if used for property purchases, would give rental yields that are siphoned away from Singapore for the life time of the property. With a yield of 6%, he thinks that more money from that property will outflow from the country eventually. Also, there is no need to give that individual a chance to profit from appreciation of his property in Singapore.

I think his argument makes sense.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not a problem bro. You, Charlie and couple of others have loads of credit in this forum garnered over the years.

Sadly these things happen all the time amongst Singaporeans and other migrant ethnic groups. It is always easier to fleece your own kind.

I am actually delighted that this has been highlighted as many never see light of day and newbies continue get fleeced. The usual is the sale of house and the other is business. Unloading of these 2 are very common. I personally know a family with 3 kids that paid for a car rental business and lost everything because it was poorly structured. The Singaporean "friend" got a commission for it.

Hi [scroobal],

Thank you for the compliment for the very little which I have posted.

It is unfortunate that in almost every ethnic immigrant community, some irregular transaction or matter happens. I believe that we "immigrants" should help others, because in the past others have helped us. The good will and/or blessings will return many fold, and accordingly, there is no need to charge a fee or to make some money.

Last month, I met a recent MBA graduate (on full scholarship) who was a top student and gold medallist at Economics undergraduate level, and originally from PRC. This individual needs to find a job in a related field (economics. finance, banking or consulting) within a year in order to be eligible to apply for PR. Two weeks ago, I sent e-mails to numerous contacts of mine. Fortunately, the son of the retired Justice Houlden, whom I knew personally when he and I worked for one of Big 5 firms (and he now leads one of that firm's practices), and he asked one of his colleagues to determine how they can help. Earlier today, I heard that although they are fully staffed, including making offers to next year's graduates, they will meet or interview this recent graduate, next week.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi everyone,

All I can say is that don't bet on help.

You have to help yourself. You are on your own.

Life is going to be tough. VERY VERY TOUGH. So don't migrate. It's not for you. Don't waste your time and your life. Stay in Singapore. Earn the good money there. Later can retire and travel round the world.

You migrate, all your credentials are not recognized. You are uneducated regardless if you have a PhD. You end up doing entry level job paying low low wages.

If you think that sort of lifestyle is good for you then migrate. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone else is disappointed after having emigrated? 250,000 got Canadian PR
annually. Don't they know what awaits them?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Anyone else is disappointed after having emigrated? 250,000 got Canadian PR
annually. Don't they know what awaits them?

It's a matter of managing expectations. Back in 2003 I wrote many times that I did not expect a bed of roses. It would be tough and you have to fight.

The trouble is that I have noticed in this forum too much of the "good stuff" and little of the "real stuff". So I am just trying to give some balance.

Besides, if you are gonna come, be prepared to compete with the hungry vietnamese, indians, pakistanis and hongkies. Of course if you have lots of dough and already ready to retire then just come and enjoy yourself. No need to ask so much.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a matter of managing expectations. Back in 2003 I wrote many times that I did not expect a bed of roses. It would be tough and you have to fight.

The trouble is that I have noticed in this forum too much of the "good stuff" and little of the "real stuff". So I am just trying to give some balance.

Besides, if you are gonna come, be prepared to compete with the hungry vietnamese, indians, pakistanis and hongkies. Of course if you have lots of dough and already ready to retire then just come and enjoy yourself. No need to ask so much.

it is tough initially coz we are not familiar with the foreign culture and living lifestyle in the new countries. even foreigners that come to sg will face similar problem. as to the lack of recognitions of credentials, yours is in the medical which has more protectionism and greater barriers for other migrants with similar professions.

however, for IT professionals like me, it will be alot easier as our familiarity with certain products or solutions are global and there is a greater acceptance from these foreign companies for these new migrants. thanks goodness i managed to get a near similar job in just 7 days when i landed in australia.

However, the biggest challenge is to figure out the study curriculum for our kids, the daily life routine and adapting to a new life routine. Frankly it is a lesson that all of us should go thru; to be truly independent and learn to survive against odds. im no stranger to life struggle but thinking of how certain unpleasant events had plague my initial migration lives, it kicked start a mindset changes which i will never imagine when i was back in sg. everything in sg is striving for acceptance and dependencies; from boss, family, govt, colleagues, classmates etc...

so it still depend on individuals, if one has everything in place and proper in sg, it will be a struggle to adapt starting from the bottom. this is prevalent for people that used to enjoy quality lifestyle and good jobs in sg and suddenly face with zero bottom basic career start. I just met an ex-SAF colonel commander who had to hold onto a menial job just to make ends meet here. another friend of mine who used to teach IT in sg poly had went back to sg to go back to his career. as for me, im enjoying a second wind in my IT career, when sg hr used to condemn older people with non-conventional uni degree, here i had acceptance from aussies on my skills and experience. and yes, it is a refreshing feeling to consult angmohs on what i do best.

bottomline; change is inevitable and change can be hard, however, how we accept the change and re-invent ourselves to adapt to the change is the key factor to a successful life overseas.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a problem bro. Your track record speaks for itself especially when you shared your challenges and when you first migrated and the journey since on many occasions. I am sure others were inspired.

Hi [scroobal],

Thank you for the compliment for the very little which I have posted.

It is unfortunate that in almost every ethnic immigrant community, some irregular transaction or matter happens. I believe that we "immigrants" should help others, because in the past others have helped us. The good will and/or blessings will return many fold, and accordingly, there is no need to charge a fee or to make some money.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doc,
yours is probably the most inspirational story of someone who was determined to seek a new life for his family. Your tenacity was exceptional. At that time, OZ had demerit points for doctors and you did not relent. You explored every angle including Geelong.

I must also take my hat off to your Mrs who would have stopped most husbands from relinquishing a professional career and allowing you take a job for which you are over qualified. Its called chasing a dream. And you reach it in the end. Your kids will be the ultimate beneficiary. I would also not forget your help with medical advice and general value guidance given to all and sundry over the early years.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You will never know until you give it a go.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great write-up bro. Yours is also another inspirational story which you shared from the beginning.

it is tough initially coz we are not familiar with the foreign culture and living lifestyle in the new countries. even foreigners that come to sg will face similar problem. as to the lack of recognitions of credentials, yours is in the medical which has more protectionism and greater barriers for other migrants with similar professions.

bottomline; change is inevitable and change can be hard, however, how we accept the change and re-invent ourselves to adapt to the change is the key factor to a successful life overseas.

ns is killing singapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
In all interactions with other people there are bound to be risks of some kind. My dream was actually to find something to do which had almost no interaction with human beings. Strangely my job as a factory worker is much closer to that than when I was a doctor. It's just me, vinyl frames, tools and metal screws. :cool: Downside is low $$$. Well you can't have it all. At least I'll tell myself that till I find out otherwise. And I won't stop trying. :biggrin:

you now a factory worker in Canada? woah, what a stark contrast as being a doctor in SG. Does it pay well compared to SG's equivalent?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
you now a factory worker in Canada? woah, what a stark contrast as being a doctor in SG. Does it pay well compared to SG's equivalent?

It pays $16/hr. Works out to $2560 a month (4 weeks) with overtime around $3k but after tax only take home $2200 when I was a first year MO with MOH in 1999 my monthly pay was $2640 but got NPVP so total $2924.74. I am comparing somewhat entry level rates for both jobs. Of course my pay range now after 12 years experience is much higher.

It's a start. Economy is still slow here. Property market is softening. Winter is coming so window orders will slow down maybe will get sent home some days means no money. In 2006 property prices really doubled across the board so if you came that year easy to find jobs that paid well. But 2006 to 2008 was not normal. So don't base on those success stories.

Nevertheless I am less stressed. Get sat and sun off. Kids love it here. They got their own jobs delivering flyers and newspaper weekly. Going for trick or treating tomorrow. At the moment on austerity drive till my wife starts earning some money to get income above expenses.

But working to take my exams and also my bak kwa business. Need to find a commercial kitchen for rent. Wonder if Bernard has any lobbing in that.

I always said that going to Canada was not necessarily going to be better but definitely different. Life is too short to stay angry and bored doing the same things. And certainly life is different now. Is it better? I am happier and less stressed. Only worrying about the finances at the moment. But it is still early days and I am confident we will get over this phase within a year.

I spoke to many friends who say I am crazy. Well I am. But the same friends complain a lot. I always tell them they can change their lives if they wanted. They say oh they have this and that commitment and cannot. In the end I always tell them that everyone is free to change their lives it is only the price that they are not always willing to pay. Sometimes the price is too much compared to the desire for change so it's not good or bad right or wrong. It is a personal choice.

My personal view on migration is this; if you want to be rich and have lots of money, stay in Singapore. After all Asia is the place to be if you want money. But if being rich is not everything to you then think what you want to do with your short life. I want to have an interesting life doing many different things. Life should be an adventure. And in Canada I feel free. I can choose to do so many things and the price to pay is about the same.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always said that going to Canada was not necessarily going to be better but definitely different. Life is too short to stay angry and bored doing the same things. And certainly life is different now. Is it better? I am happier and less stressed. Only worrying about the finances at the moment. But it is still early days and I am confident we will get over this phase within a year.

Strange, I know exactly where you are coming from. What you are going through now is one of the defining moments in your life.

“I believe that being successful means having a balance of success stories across the many areas of your life. You can't truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.”—Zig Ziglar

1118715_f520.jpg

“Our lives is a series of defining moments, strung together by passing time. Surrender fully to this moment, because it is not the moment itself that defines us, but how we choose to live in it.”--Jill Pendley

I have already gone past this stage of migration, a lot of migrants have too.

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
It pays $16/hr. Works out to $2560 a month (4 weeks) with overtime around $3k but after tax only take home $2200 when I was a first year MO with MOH in 1999 my monthly pay was $2640 but got NPVP so total $2924.74. I am comparing somewhat entry level rates for both jobs. Of course my pay range now after 12 years experience is much higher.

...My personal view on migration is this; if you want to be rich and have lots of money, stay in Singapore. After all Asia is the place to be if you want money. But if being rich is not everything to you then think what you want to do with your short life. I want to have an interesting life doing many different things. Life should be an adventure. And in Canada I feel free. I can choose to do so many things and the price to pay is about the same.

mate, australia is desperate to get more doctors in. come over here, please! dont let your skills go to waste. doesnt matter about money or possession, if you have the skill and canada doesnt want to recognise it, then pack up and go somewhere that is willing to accept you. Never undersell nor underestimate yourself.

i could find out more info for you but 99% of the stuffs are on the net and available at your finger tips.

again, please come over to australia. we need your skills.

Great write-up bro. Yours is also another inspirational story which you shared from the beginning.

mate, that incident of police, dogs and sg friends are good learning lessons which i will never forget and it shocked the sinkie out of me. now i'm working in my own capacity consulting the angmohs in the field i know best. it is kind of ironic and i hope nay69sg would consider; go where you are being appreciated for your expertise.