• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can I persuade you all to get dual citizenship?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I remember Singapore were losing welders, chefs, cooks and the like every year in droves. These vocations were in the priority lists.

Scroobal, u are doing many people a disservice here.

People who are any good and smart have already applied for another citizenship or have already moved there long before your "persuasion".

People who need to be persuaded are idiots that are not suited or have enough initiative to figure it out. These people should stay in singapore and continue to be the lemmings that they are. If these type of people go to another country and see how bad the economy is and cannot get a job (eg US, Europe), they will quietly sneak back into singapore within a year. U are doing a disservice trying to persuade these idiots to go.

The aged parents thing is a big red herring. I don't know any parent who truly loves their children will want to see their children suffer here with NS, 60 hour workweeks, tiny hovels to live in, under constant fear of their jobs being stolen by FTs, contant fear of speaking against the govt. to the wrong people, reservist duty, etc.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People who are any good and smart have already applied for another citizenship or have already moved there long before your "persuasion".
.........................etc.

obviously, morons and lemmings need not apply. neither should those who are using all conceivable excuses such as family ties or love life or filial piety or whatever. this may be targeted at the sizable cohort of civil servants and elite wannabes who have milked the system and enjoyed all perks, privileges and benefits for being part of the regime. these "insiders" are least likely to leave during their golden decades as they live on cloud nine far above lesser mortals. now that floodgates are opened and the shit has hit the fan (or the country has gone to the dogs as one pointed out), everything is at risk and there is no more security and special treatment for this segment of elites unless you're part of the deep inner circle. you're basically on your own once you retire from the club, and just like any jungle survivor in sg you have to face and fight rabid dogs (civil servants still in service), sharks (loan agents) and piranhas (financial planners) singlehandedly. :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally, I decided to post something ... even if I am a lonely voice here.

My personal view

What is the point of getting dual or triple citizenship if the Sinkees stay rooted in Singapore.
These rooted Sinkees will suffer in their adopted country because they will miss home.
Just spare the trouble and stay on.
Waste money, time or getting a useless MBA unless the person is genuinely interested in settling in his/her newly adopted land.

Human traits - see how many Russians missed the USSR?

Otherwise, abandon the PAP citizenship. Get the money out!
My principle is that I will not even keep $1 in CPF if I have another citizenship and even if I do not need the CPF money to live on. Why feed the PAP. They have caused enough damage for Singapore.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why feed the PAP. They have caused enough damage for Singapore.

Whether the PAP have "destroyed the country" or "delivered the goods" all depends on your vantage point.

In my case, the PAP has done for me what Steve Jobs did for Apple shareholders. They enhanced the value of my assets beyond my wildest dreams and pursued the sort of monetary policy that has ensured a dream run for my net worth. I doubt if any other govt would have done as well.

However, a sinkie living in a pigeon hole and a huge mortgage would have the same opinion of Steve as a Foxxcon production operator. Both have ended up feeling suicidal.

In life, you need to be able to size up any adversity and use the positives that exist in any situation to your advantage. Complaining doesn't help. You need to deal with it by making life changing decisions.

I've cashed out of Singapore just as I've cashed out of Apple Inc. Wealth is built upon taking profit when the going is good.

Thank you Steve and thank you ex Minister Mental..... thank both for your dedication to the task you chose to undertake.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once approval received, I will sit down and give all the advice that I can.

Bro scroobal, i'm holding you to this, haha!

I have already done my prep, now just waiting for the next (and hopefully last) phase to begin.
Once that is received ... all that stands in the way is the NS worry for my son. Just hope the rules won't suddenly change to prevent a safe exit.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was one of the main reasons why I joined SBF at the start a decade ago. To persuade you guys that world is your oyster. One must learn to have options. If you have passed that part of your journey, do it for your kids or grandkids. Please take this seriously. At least go pick up the application form from the high commission or embassy. It's is not a zero sum game. You can still live and work in Singapore if you can't live without KTV, Laksa or the sight of Ho Ching.

the grass is always greener on the other side. sure, being in singapore sucks if you are below the 80% percentile of income earners. but if you make it to the 81st percentile and above (approx $100k/yr), singapore starts to be a wonderful and modern city, situated in the lush south east asia region where nature is but an hour or two away by plane.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whether the PAP have "destroyed the country" or "delivered the goods" all depends on your vantage point.

In my case, the PAP has done for me what Steve Jobs did for Apple shareholders. They enhanced the value of my assets beyond my wildest dreams and pursued the sort of monetary policy that has ensured a dream run for my net worth. I doubt if any other govt would have done as well.

I will not use a private sector KPIs / yardstick to measure govt archivements and delivery of public goods.
Apples with Apples.
Oranges with Oranges.
Kiwifruit with Chinese Gooseberry.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

read the comment from the opposition supporters here, you know their IQ probably around 80, and they are blaming everything under the sun are pap fault without any knowledge of basic economic or basic politics. The smart one in singapore either join pap or bait out already.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's those in top 20% that are likely to have acquired various options over the years. And why not? Here is a chap that I spoke to last week. He has 2 daughters in Oz and a third will going over soon for schooling. Both he and his wife work in their own business, have couple of cars and SUV. They are wealthy. 4 years ago, when I spoke to him, he was complaining about schools here. Today he is a happy man. He makes his fortune in Malaysia and Singapore but he gets his quality of life in Oz. Where do you think Tony and Mary Tan were spending their time before they threw in their bid for the Istana.
the grass is always greener on the other side. sure, being in singapore sucks if you are below the 80% percentile of income earners. but if you make it to the 81st percentile and above (approx $100k/yr), singapore starts to be a wonderful and modern city, situated in the lush south east asia region where nature is but an hour or two away by plane.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to worry, you will be fine.
Bro scroobal, i'm holding you to this, haha! I have already done my prep, now just waiting for the next (and hopefully last) phase to begin.Once that is received ... all that stands in the way is the NS worry for my son. Just hope the rules won't suddenly change to prevent a safe exit.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
One parent passed while I was working and staying overseas, still having mixed feelings for no being around. Another one needs medical attention now, other siblings volunteered to shoulder the task of taking care of our parent, but its just a sentiment thingy.:(

If nobody moved anywhere because of aged parents, human evolution would have stalled in the plains of the African Continent. My aged parents didn't even want me to move 500m down the road when they were still around.

You have your own life to live. Plan your own destiny first. Then fit your aged parent into the resulting plan.

In a decade or so, your aged parent could well be in a better place. You, on the other hand, will still be stuck in that shithole and by that time, you'll be stuck for good. :rolleyes:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One parent passed while I was working and staying overseas, still having mixed feelings for no being around. Another one needs medical attention now, other siblings volunteered to shoulder the task of taking care of our parent, but its just a sentiment thingy.:(

If we treat our parents well when they are alive, we will have no regrets when they leave.
These days, with video phone/tablet chats, the geographical distance is somewhat overcome.

I know an open-minded parent who actually request that overseas family members not to rush back for her funeral. Everything settled in 3 days by Singapore Casket one-stop service. Can't possibly get everyone back from Canada, the UK, and Brasil.
Only the Aussies made it back because they were eyeing on the inheritance.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
You can still live and work in Singapore if you can't live without KTV, Laksa or the sight of Ho Ching.

I've lived and worked in 4 to 5 countries. SG is a good place to live, if u can look past the idiots running the place. Mocking them occasionally helps.

Btw, I can live without KTV and laksa...................... :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hence the dual citizenship theme. No need to leave for good. Get the best of the world. Quality education from young for the kids - the ability to articulate, more open minded, more creative , more adventurous etc.
I've lived and worked in 4 to 5 countries. SG is a good place to live, if u can look past the idiots running the place. Mocking them occasionally helps.Btw, I can live without KTV and laksa...................... :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You haven't met my mum, she still asked me to go back and look for a job in Singapore every time I called her up.

Scroobal, u are doing many people a disservice here.

People who need to be persuaded are idiots that are not suited or have enough initiative to figure it out. These people should stay in singapore and continue to be the lemmings that they are. If these type of people go to another country and see how bad the economy is and cannot get a job (eg US, Europe), they will quietly sneak back into singapore within a year. U are doing a disservice trying to persuade these idiots to go.

The aged parents thing is a big red herring. I don't know any parent who truly loves their children will want to see their children suffer here with NS, 60 hour workweeks, tiny hovels to live in, under constant fear of their jobs being stolen by FTs, contant fear of speaking against the govt. to the wrong people, reservist duty, etc.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ. Why go to places with gahments not like PAP.

Go to places that had shed blood on the streets. Iraq, Syria, Libya are places to go now to rebuild and properties up for grabs for peanuts.

Go Australia waste of time - no manufacturing opportunities, plenty of laws and regulations and taxes.

You think Australians/ Westerners bery creative people. Yeah! know how to dance and sing in front of cameras and want to be celebrites is bery creative. You go China and say can you make this for $10? Chinaman bery creative and sak OK but want you to take 10 containers. 1 container $50, 2 containers $40 and down to 10 containers $10. So who is more creative?

Go to Autralia it will start off with $100 with $80 go to gahment taxes, legislations, regulations, unions till you better go rob a bank.

Stay Singapore better, PAP gahment dodgy type can help you wayang for cheap labours, boost your property prices like using hydrogen gas for ballons, PAP always win elections and change GE voting patterns like changing underwear everyday. Better still join PAP to get rich, best options which can find nowhere else in this world. You scratch their back they scratch yours back where to find a big gangster group that cornered every industries and owned all businesses you can think off. Must know how to lick best arses than lick smelly arses that now come up with carbon tax?

Si mi lan cheow si keo cabon tax?

This was one of the main reasons why I joined SBF at the start a decade ago. To persuade you guys that world is your oyster. One must learn to have options. If you have passed that part of your journey, do it for your kids or grandkids. Please take this seriously. At least go pick up the application form from the high commission or embassy. It's is not a zero sum game. You can still live and work in Singapore if you can't live without KTV, Laksa or the sight of Ho Ching.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

You say like so easy pick up some forms and fill in the blanks LOL