• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Call to Bring Leegally Corrupt Familee to JUSTICE!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nov 19, 2009

Investigate self-serving company directors

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
MR HO Kwon Ping wrote an excellent piece yesterday ('Curbing the rise of the hero-CEO'). I fully agree with him that we in Singapore have mindlessly adopted one of the unsavoury traits of the Anglo-American corporate world by the glorification of our chief executive officers.
But, as Mr Ho rightly pointed out, this is often the result of 'a community of peers' who 'does not necessarily ensure the promotion of selfless values'.
However, I was surprised when he went on to relate his experience in a self-serving remuneration committee of a large public-listed company he was on.
Together with him on the committee were 'reputable chief executive officers (CEOs) of eminent companies'.
I was surprised not only by what he wrote but also because it is rare indeed for a former independent director to come out openly to reveal the 'insider values' of the company, even though he did not name it.
This remuneration committee, he said, 'became a grouping of back-scratchers'. And he was left watching 'with bemused alarm at how performance targets were lowered or stock options reset...so that management could have the same bonuses and stock options as before though the company was not doing well'.
I applaud Mr Ho for being so forthright in stating his views and relating his experience. As far as I can recall, it is the first time that someone of his stature has given a peep into this aspect of our corporate world.
Although Mr Ho might have been bemused and alarmed by what he saw as an independent director of the company, I am curious to know whether he had tried to set the wayward committee right.
I am also of the view that incidents such as the example cited by Mr Ho should be investigated by the authorities to deter self-serving company directors.
Sia Cheong Yew

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I fully agree with him that we in Singapore have mindlessly adopted one of the unsavoury traits of the Anglo-American corporate world by the glorification of our chief executive officers.

I disagree, it should be ballessly adopted.