• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

bringing in cigarette from JB to Spore

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe there may be still a limited quota allowed or they would have closed those duty-free shops.:confused:

The selling of ciggies for inbound passengers has been abolished for a long time liao. Those duty free shops are opened for you to buy yr liquor, beers and stouts, if u want to.

Come Jan 09, all ciggies without the SDPC mark would be deemd as duty un-paid items and hence illegal for consumption here. If u still have any duty free cigges which were procured when u left the airport upon yr return, failure to declare them will also land u in trouble. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course we argued and the officer explained to us that there was no such law!! The officer gave him a discount and only fine him for 2 packs. I forgot how much, but I clearly remember he had to pay the fine/tax, gst and buy 1 "smoking cause cancer" label for each pack.

So there you have it, it up to you smokers if you want to believe this or continue telling yourself, it's ok, it alright, as long as I have my own definition of "personal consumption" I can bring in dutiable goods like nobody's business.

Was there such a law or was there a rule, perhaps an unwritten rule, I cant be too sure about that. But to my knowledge every traveller are allowed a certain limited quota of duty-free tobacco as well as alcohol. Unless and otherwise they placed a total ban then there's nothing else more to say.:(

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
The selling of ciggies for inbound passengers has been abolished for a long time liao. Those duty free shops are opened for you to buy yr liquor, beers and stouts, if u want to.

Come Jan 09, all ciggies without the SDPC mark would be deemd as duty un-paid items and hence illegal for consumption here. If u still have any duty free cigges which were procured when u left the airport upon yr return, failure to declare them will also land u in trouble. Hope this helps. Cheers.

You are right, I am aware of that. But at departure terminal, it's still available. Just that I am not too sure what quantity of tobacco are allowed inbound. Insofar a packet in my pocket wasnt a problem clearing custom excise.

This SDPC is really going to be a problem for locals. And if foreigners are not duly informed, it's going to be a problem for them too. Enforcing SDPC will mean a total ban, you cant allow people especially foreigners to declare, pay custon duty and not allowing consumption just because there's no SDPC stamped mark on the cigarette. Anyway, I am a smoker, I cant allow myself to worry too much. One day at a time and I will curse the authority for what it's worth.:(

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
there r no such thing as one packet can b brought in!!! like some bros hav said, dun kuai lan w the custom officer if not they dig out small small thing n tekan u, fine u, u oso lan lan!!

juz declare even if u hav one open pack!! normally they will close one eye!! if not juz pay the duty lor... caught outside get fine $500 lagi worse!!

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
there r no such thing as one packet can b brought in!!! like some bros hav said, dun kuai lan w the custom officer if not they dig out small small thing n tekan u, fine u, u oso lan lan!!

juz declare even if u hav one open pack!! normally they will close one eye!! if not juz pay the duty lor... caught outside get fine $500 lagi worse!!
Many years ago, when the law was first passed to tax cigarette heavily, knowing that there were many smokers then, it was then decided that people were allowed only for self comsumption. It was then decided that personal consumption means to carry not more than 1 packet of open cigareet and with at least 1 stick used.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years ago, when the law was first passed to tax cigarette heavily, knowing that there were many smokers then, it was then decided that people were allowed only for self comsumption. It was then decided that personal consumption means to carry not more than 1 packet of open cigareet and with at least 1 stick used.

I believe there was such an exception, a rule perhaps an unwritten rule. Reading in between lines some of the post here, it seems custom officers are denying it. They may have revoked that rule, I dont know.:(