• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News: Goh Keng Swee Dies ...

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry, but what was he famous for? I am not asking in the impolite way but I cannot recall him at all. What year was he DPM?

I heard the breaking news on radio this morning while travelling in the cab. The driver, a young man in his early 30s, turned around and asked me ' Sir, who is this Dr Goh by the way?'

Americans do not forget their founding fathers after two centuries. Here, our young people have forgotten or not aware of this great man who had left office only in 1984.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... but good news for singapore tax payers, one less expensive Old Fart for the gahmen to foot their medical bills, pay his pension money (for doing nothing) ...
dey wun lower taxes bcos of tis ...

ze world's bestest paid politicians, wen dey c got surplus, wil simply cook up sum story n fatten their pay further ...

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is the true founding father that build Singapore. Unfortunately msm is controlled by tryrant so he won't get a high profile report about his death.

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the breaking news on radio this morning while travelling in the cab. The driver, a young man in his early 30s, turned around and asked me ' Sir, who is this Dr Goh by the way?'

Americans do not forget their founding fathers after two centuries. Here, our young people have forgotten or not aware of this great man who had left office only in 1984.

you are absolutely right, I am around the same age as the cab driver... I know I should know my history being born in Singapore, but if you have not noticed, it is always the same MiniStars that steal the limelight.... PM LHL will not go unnoticed... MiniStars like MBT will say something discouragingly stupid every 3 weeks....
Someone mentioned that Dr Goh implemented the National Service Act... so should I thank him for that??
Again, I am not asking in an impolite way, I need some input from other forumers...

crispian

Alfrescian
Loyal
he was the finance minister during LKY prime prime time before richard hu took over,,,,
one of the very few men in the cabinet who dare stand up to the old man, and that is why he quitted early in politics because of "personal reasons". RIP Mr Goh.

ahpong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Our school children have been brainwashed to remember only 1 man, THE man who founded Singapore and brought it from 3rd world to first (and back).

Lord Imperious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our school children have been brainwashed to remember only 1 man, THE man who founded Singapore and brought it from 3rd world to first (and back).

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. Lao Lee has done much good but at the same time he has done equally much harm. Worse part is the harm was done later. :(

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The Chief architect of the modern Singapore ecnomy

He also built uo our credible Defence Force SAF

Apart from the Lees & MBT I do not think there is anyone in the current Cabinet who can match his foresight and ability

Great man - I respect him

Foresight and ability? Are u kidding me? He fucked up generations of male with the NS Enlistment ACt, fucked up generations of kids with his cock education plans like streaming, 2nd language etc.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
At least he knew when to retire and did not create an unpopular dynasty.

He did not retire u moron. He was forced out. Harry forced all the old guard out. If there is such a thing as retirement in the PAP elite, than there would be no MM and SM positions. U are "retired" when Harry tells you to.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
one of the very few men in the cabinet who dare stand up to the old man, and that is why he quitted early in politics because of "personal reasons". RIP Mr Goh.

I don't know what cock bullshit you talking about. U want to know what the "personal reasons" are? He had fallen in love with his long time personal secretary and decided to divorce his wife and marry/live with the secretary. As Harry considers this sort of infidelity in a poor light, he was banished to China to serve as an "economic advisor" to China, along with his secretary. That was why he was away from S'pore even during the Asian crisis of 1987. Nobody quits politics in S'pore, if you don't know this by now. Politicians get recycled all the time and all over the place. Just look at Lau Goh, and Con You. The only way you leave politics in S'pore at his level is either Con You tell you to fuck off, or you die.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know what cock bullshit you talking about. U want to know what the "personal reasons" are? He had fallen in love with his long time personal secretary and decided to divorce his wife and marry/live with the secretary. (Dr Pang, the MOE language expert he had fallen in love with is hardly his 'personal secretary', he has the balls to divorce his wife & be with the person he loved for the autumn of his life, to hell with LKY !) As Harry considers this sort of infidelity in a poor light, he was banished (banished ?! None other than Deng Xiao Ping invited him after he left Spore Govt to be economics advisor to coastal cities - a post he served for 6 years until 1991 when he tendered resignation due to old age) to China to serve as an "economic advisor" to China, along with his secretary. That was why he was away from S'pore even during the Asian crisis of 1987( hello, Asian financial crisis 1997 not 1987) . Nobody quits politics in S'pore, if you don't know this by now. Politicians get recycled all the time and all over the place. Just look at Lau Goh, and Con You. The only way you leave politics in S'pore at his level is either Con You tell you to fuck off, or you die( compared to Raja, Goh dared to stand up to Lee more .... I know you are Papsmearer, but fats are fats....)

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PMO still veri slow..... no official announcement.

The last time when Raja died, State Flags was flown at half-mast for 3 days .... I supposed for Dr Goh Keng Swee, surely nothing less than that considering his momentous contribution ....

Maybe when it is you-know-who's turn, there may be a Public Holiday :biggrin: ?

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
tell u all again the year of the tiger is very fierce. many old people cannot cross it.

Dr Goh ks set the standard for singapore civil service during his time. A great man will be remembered by many for generations. RIP.

Only old people will know him. I don't even know this guy and you people are so nuts about him. :biggrin:

T

Tadakatsu Honda

State funeral for former DPM Goh Keng Swee

State funeral for former DPM Goh Keng Swee
Posted: 14 May 2010 1346 hrs

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="20"></td> <td align="right" width="240">
phpGJoh82.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="60" valign="top"></td> <td class="update" height="80" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="138">Photos </td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="47">1 of 1</td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" onclick="Prev();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" height="15" width="18"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="19"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" onclick="Play()" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" height="15" width="19"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " onclick="Next();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" height="15" width="18"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Former Deputy Prime Minister Goh Keng Swee who died aged 91
</td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td class="update"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Singapore's Foreign Minister George Yeo says the late Dr Goh Keng Swee will be given a state funeral.

Mr Yeo was at the late Dr Goh's home to offer his condolences.

Dr Goh's body will lie in his home at Dunbar Walk from today till Sunday.

On Monday and Tuesday, Dr Goh's body will lie at Parliament House before the state funeral takes place on Tuesday.

Minister Yeo says the government will announce more details about the funeral arrangements.

T

Tadakatsu Honda

May 14, 2010

FORMER DPM
Remembering Goh Keng Swee

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line -->
gks1.jpg

Former Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister, Dr Goh Keng Swee (second left) on Nomination Day 1976 at the Singapore Polytechnic. -- ST PHOTO: MAK KIAN SENG

gks2.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee being chaired by his supporters. He was uncontested in the fight for Kreta Ayer. The polls on September 2, 1972, was contested by a total of 137 candidates from six political parties, and two independents. -- ST PHOTO: ALI YUSOFF

gks3.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee (standing) asked 43 youth representatives from Chinese clubs to help break the barrier between English and Chinese educated children in Singapore. He urged the group on a visit to the Social Welfare Department as part of a civic course, to volunteer for work. -- ST PHOTO: LOW YEW KONG

T

Tadakatsu Honda

gks4.jpg

Goh Keng Swee - A Portrait by Tan Siok Sun. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM

gks5.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee having a laugh with Professor Chan Heng Chee, in one of his many light-hearted moments. Picture used in Dr Goh's daughter-in-law, Tan Siok Sun's book, Goh Keng Swee - A Portrait. -- PHOTO: TAN SIOK SUN

gks6.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee, in his Colonel?s uniform, inspects the second batch of new officers from the People's Defence Force, which included Jek Yuen Thong, the Minister for Labour (far left). Picture used in Dr Goh's daughter-in-law, Tan Siok Sun's book, Goh Keng Swee - A Portrait. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW BOON CHIN

T

Tadakatsu Honda

gks7.jpg

Then-PM Lee Kuan Yew, Dr Goh Keng Swee and members of the opposition parties took part in a Radio Singapore forum on the merger referendum. -- PHOTO: ST LIBRARY

gks9.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee shaking hands with Deng Xiaoping upon arrival at Paya Lebar Airport. -- PHOTO: ST LIBRARY

gks10.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee making a speech at his constituency's National Day dinner at Outram Park. -- ST FILE PHOTO

T

Tadakatsu Honda

gks11.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee made his election broadcast over television for the People's Action Party (PAP). -- ST PHOTO: WAN SENG YIP

gks12.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee, at the Malayan Stock Exchange, opens a direct trading line to Kuala Lumpur. -- ST PHOTO: MAK KIAN SENG

gks13.jpg

Dr Goh Keng Swee at the opening for the National Iron and Steel Mills Limited - cornerstone of the ambitious Jurong Industrial project. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW BOON CHIN

gks14.jpg

Then-PM Lee Kuan Yew, Dr Toh Chin Chye and Dr Goh Keng Swee at the Singapore Badminton Hall counting centre. -- ST LIBRARY

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Honda, thank you for your wonderful black/white photos .... priceless !

btw how did you remove the official 'national heritage' watermark from all the old archives photos .... AWESOME ! look so much better without the marks ....