• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking: Gay boy Vincent Wijeysingha resigns from SDP

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would like to congratulate Dr Vincent Wijeysingha for opening up a new chapter in his career as a social activist. Dr Wijeysingha resigned from the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) on Wednesday in order to afford himself a much greater opportunity to be involved in human rights issues, civil liberties, and LGBT rights in particular.

Some have mentioned that Dr Wijeysingha’s departure is a loss for SDP and a gain for civil society. While I agree on the latter part, I don’t see why the former should be true.

Dr Wijeysingha made his mark on Singapore’s political scene when he contested the 2011 general elections under an SDP ticket. His entry was clearly seen as a threat to the PAP, which immediately resorted to very underhand tactics to smear him and the SDP, insinuating that they had a “gay agenda” and questioned their motives.

Despite this vicious personal attack on Dr Wijeysingha and on the SDP, the SDP went on to perform well in Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, scoring 39.9% of the vote.

Nonetheless, the PAP’s attempt to stoke up homophobia in order to discredit the SDP and Dr Wijeysingha in particular was a step backwards for civil liberties and tolerance for LGBTs.

Dr Wijeysingha contributed significantly to SDP during his tenure with the party. He was instrumental in formulating their position papers on many bread-and-butter issues and helping the SDP better articulate its philosophy and political ideology.

But he was not just all brains. He was also about action — in every event that SDP organized, he would not hesitate to roll up his sleeves and help out in the hard, nitty-gritty work of logistics and organization, helping to move chairs and set up tents, helping to rally people together. He was truly an all-rounded contributor to SDP — never failing to give his best to the party both in brains and in physical work.

While a few people in SDP will miss Dr Wijeysingha, it is clear that their paths have to diverge at some point.

SDP has chosen to move away from civil rights toward bread-and-butter electoral politics. It now has to concentrate on winning votes.

Dr Wijeysingha, on the other hand, must remain true to his convictions and move towards civil liberties and human rights. In our Singapore context, a more natural place for him to operate in, therefore, is civil society. In a more mature democracy, perhaps Dr Wijeysingha might be able to pursue his objectives within the umbrella of an opposition party.

Therefore I do not see this as a loss for SDP, but rather a natural evolution that is healthy and beneficial for both parties. Perhaps some day, when our socio-political climate has matured, their paths may yet converge again.

Letter from Vincent Wijeysingha

Dear Friends,
My Facebook post about my sexuality attracted some debate on LGBT rights. The shape of the discussion shows there is misunderstanding of these issues, primarily because of lack of mainstream access to appropriate information. Misunderstanding leads to discrimination that works its way into the lives of LGBT people, resulting in anguish and distress.

I believe that, as a nation, we have a limited appreciation of civil liberties: they have not penetrated deeply into our civic discourse and public administration. There is a great deal of work ahead if we are to achieve the full range of our fundamental liberties.

During the last three years that I have been a member of the Singapore Democratic Party, I have been engaged in social and economic bread-and-butter policy issues. I hope I have contributed in some small way. But after reflection and consultation with friends and colleagues, I have come to believe that I should participate in the more intangible but no less important work to promote our civil liberties.

Therefore, I would like to inform you that I have taken the difficult decision to resign my membership of the SDP in order to explore how I can be of service to the wider cause of our civil liberties, a project which I believe to be the dominant mission of this present period.
I continue to share deeply the values of the party which gave me a political home and the opportunity to learn an ideal of service which I have tried to carry out. I intend to explore ways in which I can honour those values in the civil liberties sphere.

I have discussed my decision extensively with party leaders who have given me their blessing. I would like to ask you also to support me in this decision.

Dr Vincent Wijeysingha

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
His colleagues must've been screwing him instead of the other way round, making his life difficult.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SDP has chosen to move away from civil rights toward bread-and-butter electoral politics. It now has to concentrate on winning votes.

Dr Wijeysingha, on the other hand, must remain true to his convictions and move towards civil liberties and human rights. In our Singapore context, a more natural place for him to operate in, therefore, is civil society. In a more mature democracy, perhaps Dr Wijeysingha might be able to pursue his objectives within the umbrella of an opposition party.

Therefore I do not see this as a loss for SDP, but rather a natural evolution that is healthy and beneficial for both parties.

Politics should include civil liberties and human rights. Our socio-political landscape needs to evolve beyond artificial divisions, and people need to be more tolerant. Perhaps some day, when our socio-political climate has matured, SDP’s and Dr Wijeysingha’s paths may yet converge again.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the ones who would be most affected by this decision would be members of the gay community, in fact the gay activists themselves. I cannot see this in any other way irrespective of how VW characterises his decision by what he said was discussions with many folks.

Those activists had viewed him as their political poster boy. With him in frontline politics they could raise their profile a bit more. With his departure from frontline politics the activists within the community would have to tread more carefully.

This is not a loss for SDP, but a gain for the party. It is only a loss for the gay activists, who lost their main poster boy.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Therefore I do not see this as a loss for SDP, but rather a natural evolution that is healthy and beneficial for both parties.

It is definitely a loss to SDP. I know no one likes to admit that they have suffered setbacks or give the impression of being weakened, but to say it's no loss is like saying that Vincent has no worth and value. However, it is a loss that SDP can make up for.

Vincent was touted to be the next leader after Chee. No one knows how true, as SDP keeps its leadership's identity secret. We only know Chee is SG and Jufrie is chairman. Vincent was treasurer so it is likely. But I don't know who else in the CEC.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the ones who would be most affected by this decision would be members of the gay community, in fact the gay activists themselves. I cannot see this in any other way irrespective of how VW characterises his decision by what he said was discussions with many folks.

Those activists had viewed him as their political poster boy. With him in frontline politics they could raise their profile a bit more. With his departure from frontline politics the activists within the community would have to tread more carefully.

This is not a loss for SDP, but a gain for the party. It is only a loss for the gay activists, who lost their main poster boy.

No. If you read Vincent carefully, I think LGBT group does not want to associate with any party too closely. They were people he spoke to and was why he left. This is plausible as many gays do not want to politicize the gay rights issue. They will not see the value of having an "SDP poster boy".

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. If you read Vincent carefully, I think LGBT group does not want to associate with any party too closely. They were people he spoke to and was why he left. This is plausible as many gays do not want to politicize the gay rights issue. They will not see the value of having an "SDP poster boy".

You are right in saying that "many gays do not want to politicize the gay rights issue." However, I was careful in my remarks by referring to "gay activists". They are not the "many gays", but they are the very vocal ones who want the issue politicised.

Also, in your earlier post you write as though there is nothing left in SDP. I think that is selling short very good people like Dr Paul Tambyah and Jeremy Chen, and the several others -- in academia -- who worked on their health and economic proposals. All these people are the future of the SDP. With VW's departure the party can be focused and not distracted by outlier matters. Thus, I maintain that his departure is a plus, not a minus for the party.

jw5

Loyal
VW will be an asset to whatever organization he joins, intelligent, grounded, compassionate and articulate person that he is.
He will probably continue to vote opposition parties and so should we. :p

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Quite accurately put.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also, in your earlier post you write as though there is nothing left in SDP.

No, I don't think that was my intent to portray. The party is generally secretive about its line up, so it's too early to make final conclusions.

I think that is selling short very good people like Dr Paul Tambyah and Jeremy Chen, and the several others -- in academia -- who worked on their health and economic proposals. All these people are the future of the SDP. With VW's departure the party can be focused and not distracted by outlier matters. Thus, I maintain that his departure is a plus, not a minus for the party.

Paul Tambyah is good of course, but he seems non-committal and lacks power within the party. Unlike Vincent he is not in the CEC or hold any posts. At least I don't know if he does because as I said, the leadership profile isn't too known.

Jeremy Chen is terrible. He's a young version of Tan Jee Say. The distance he has to go to politically mature and win hearts is daunting.