• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Boeing 737 Max Just Cleared to Reenter Service. Will you Fly? SIA has 6, with 31 on Order

kiketerm

Alfrescian
Loyal
This plane will be around for many years to come, so eventually most travelers will face the 737-8/9 MAX at some point.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
737 Max is all over our region, not just SIA. Malaysian Airlines has 25, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and the China Airlines all have this aircraft.
Indonesia lion air ordered 100 or maybe more. Thats why they were sulking when boeing put the blame on them on the first crash. And max 10 aircraft too. The biggest 737 ever created.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read after the crash that they basically attached bigger new engines onto old design and tried to correct the imbalance using software. No way im travelling on this plane!
Normally if both engines are off, most passenger planes should be able to glide down for a safe landing if a spot is found. Like in Hudson river by capt Sully
In the case of max jets.....it is imbalanced. Not sure if it will be able to glide as plane is forward heavy.
Capt sully himself wanted Boeing to fix a third AOA sensor. Preferably the ones fixed in the software of sircraft such as those on " waze" or Google maps which can determ8nes car speed. But its not posdible to fo this on the max so if one sensor is faulty, computer will get confused as it won't know which reading is incorrect from two on board sensors,

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will only fly this plane after 3 years of no accident, and pubic faith has been restored.

we-re-clearedplease-return-for-takeoff-your-seats-to-the-44643100.png

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
first scheduled 737 Max flight scheduled for December 29th. If people do not wan to fly can change to other plane with no penalty.

https://www.cnet.com/news/us-airlines-detail-plans-for-resuming-boeing-737-max-flights/

US airlines detail plans for resuming Boeing 737 Max flights
If you don't want to fly on the Max, American, United and Southwest will let you change flights without penalty. Plus, how to tell when you're booked on a Max flight.
Kent German headshot
Kent German

http://www.twitter.com/KentGerman
Nov. 23, 2020 3:50 p.m. PT
LISTEN
- 03:27

737 Max aircraft painted in American, Southwest and United liveries

737 Max aircraft painted in American, Southwest and United liveries sit outside Boeing's factory in Renton, Washington, on Nov. 18, 2020.
Jason Redmond/AFP via Getty Images)
Last week the Federal Aviation Administration lifted its 20-month-old grounding order on the Boeing 737 Max. Though the decision formally clears the airliner to return to passenger service in the United States, airlines still have to complete two steps before they can resume Max flights: They must retrain pilots in simulators and make the FAA-mandated updates to the MCAS flight control system blamed for two crashes in 2018 and 2019 that killed 346 people.
Both of those steps will take time, but the three US airlines that currently operate the 737 Max have already announced when they intend to add the aircraft back into their fleets. With Max passenger flights scheduled before the year is out, American Airlines will be first, followed by United and Southwest in early 2021. (Alaska Airlines has ordered the plane, and will start to receive its aircraft next year.)
For more like this
Subscribe to the CNET Now newsletter for our editors' picks of the most important stories of the day.

Yes, I also want to receive the CNET Insider newsletter, keeping me up to date with all things CNET.
SIGN ME UP!
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
For now at least, American, United and Southwest will allow passengers who don't want to fly on the Max to change flights without penalty. If you're nervous about flying the Max, your aircraft type will be listed in the flight details as you book. Typically it will be listed under "Flight Details," which may require an extra click. Some airlines will spell out the full aircraft name as "737 Max," while other carriers may shorten it to "7M8." If you're not sure, contact a reservations agent to confirm.
American
American will resume 737 Max service on Dec. 29 with one round-trip flight a day between New York LaGuardia and Miami. After Jan, 4, 2021, it will add more Max flights, "with up to 36 departures from our Miami hub depending on the day of the week."
Maintenance crews will inspect every airplane, and pilots will take every Max aircraft on a test flight.
Pilots will need to complete computer-based training, classroom briefings and simulator time.
The airline says customers who don't want to fly on the 737 Max won't have to. Instead, "we'll provide flexibility to ensure they can be easily re-accommodated."
Southwest
The Max will return in the second quarter of 2021.
Southwest will perform maintenance checks on every Max aircraft, and its Flight Operations Team will conduct test flights with each plane multiple times.
All of the airline's pilots will undergo simulator training (Southwest says it now has nine 737 Max simulators) and complete computer-based sessions of Max procedures and operations.
If you don't want to fly on one of the airline's 737 Max 8 aircraft, you can rebook to a flight on a 737-700 or 737-800 (older 737 versions that do not use MCAS and were never affected by the grounding) without paying a fare difference (if the origin and destination cities are the same). But, the airline cautions, the new flight may ultimately be on a Max 8 if Southwest swaps equipment at the last minute. Alternatively, customers can get a full refund or credit toward future travel depending on their ticket type.
United
The Max will return in the first quarter of next year.
Test pilots will conduct several test flights of each of the airline's 737 Max aircraft, and maintenance crews will perform end-to-end reviews that include system checks and data readouts.
Before they can resume passenger flights United 737 Max pilots will need to complete computer-based instruction, simulator and review a handbook with a systems briefing and a checklist.
If you don't want to fly on a Max aircraft, you'll be rebooked at no charge or get a refund.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Read after the crash that they basically attached bigger new engines onto old design and tried to correct the imbalance using software. No way im travelling on this plane!

It's far safer than being in a car.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally if both engines are off, most passenger planes should be able to glide down for a safe landing if a spot is found. Like in Hudson river by capt Sully
In the case of max jets.....it is imbalanced. Not sure if it will be able to glide as plane is forward heavy.
Capt sully himself wanted Boeing to fix a third AOA sensor. Preferably the ones fixed in the software of sircraft such as those on " waze" or Google maps which can determ8nes car speed. But its not posdible to fo this on the max so if one sensor is faulty, computer will get confused as it won't know which reading is incorrect from two on board sensors,
plane forward heavy or thrust vector causes too much pitch up? I never knew there was a problem with the centre of lift on that plane.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
plane forward heavy or thrust vector causes too much pitch up? I never knew there was a problem with the centre of lift on that plane.
If the plane is unstable etc. Boeing should design a new plane n replace this fiasco as soon as they can. In general all boeing needs to do is raise the plane do bigger engines can fit properly

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the plane is unstable etc. Boeing should design a new plane n replace this fiasco as soon as they can. In general all boeing needs to do is raise the plane do bigger engines can fit properly
actually, my concern goes beyond the basics of the flight mechanics of the plane. If it was a simple, we screwed up, let's fix it, I would just be wary. But Boeing's response was garbage.

When the 1st plane crashed they pointed fingers at the Indonesians without hesitation. This is a long story, but in short, the whole thing was a imperfect fix on an unbalanced flight model. Then when objections were raised internally the management brushed it off and pushed the whole broken thing through approval and choosing to blame the victims.

Flight model problems bad enough. Band aid fix and management irresponsibility is just too much.

But yes, a new plane done under new oversight would be really the way to go. I can't believe the Boeing CEO who oversaw this escaped jail time when VW execs cheating on tailpipe emissions were sent to jail.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, my concern goes beyond the basics of the flight mechanics of the plane. If it was a simple, we screwed up, let's fix it, I would just be wary. But Boeing's response was garbage.

When the 1st plane crashed they pointed fingers at the Indonesians without hesitation. This is a long story, but in short, the whole thing was a imperfect fix on an unbalanced flight model. Then when objections were raised internally the management brushed it off and pushed the whole broken thing through approval and choosing to blame the victims.

Flight model problems bad enough. Band aid fix and management irresponsibility is just too much.

But yes, a new plane done under new oversight would be really the way to go. I can't believe the Boeing CEO who oversaw this escaped jail time when VW execs cheating on tailpipe emissions were sent to jail.
this is called Ang Mo Dua Ki Bias (AMDKB)
amdk make mistake can siam responsibilities
the world loves amdk so naturally got amdkb.
same with pap voters
pap can make many serious mistakes but the voters still love them deep deep

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's far safer than being in a car.

I know you are going to carpet bomb me with stats if i said no. But as some wise old guy said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

They are so different, comparing them is meaningless. If you to ask me whether to travel to beijing by plane or car, i know my answer!

But if you were to ask to choose to be caught in a car or plane accident, i know my answer too!

In a car accident, i may escape unscathed, or break a toe, a hand, a leg or die or many scenarios in between . I liken it to 4d.

In a plane accident, basically i either live or die, very very likely the latter. I liken it to toto 1st prize.

Conclusion: I'd rather be involved in a car accident than an plane accident, every single time.

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a real problem. As many have stated, Boeing cut corners on this design to play catch up to Airbus. Airbus redesigned the A320 Neo from the ground up to integrate the new, larger fuel efficient engines, but Boeing decided to save time and cost, they just stuck the LEAP engines on an existing design.

They might have gotten away with it if it were not for the 2 crashes, which grounded the plane.

Problem is the 737 MAX program is too big to fail. 900 delivered, 4000 orders. The fixes might actually make the planes safe enough to fly but this should never have happened.

The plane is here to stay and its being forced onto travelers. In the end, people will be flying on this plane for the next 20-30 years.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Its a real problem. As many have stated, Boeing cut corners on this design to play catch up to Airbus. Airbus redesigned the A320 Neo from the ground up to integrate the new, larger fuel efficient engines, but Boeing decided to save time and cost, they just stuck the LEAP engines on an existing design.

They might have gotten away with it if it were not for the 2 crashes, which grounded the plane.

Problem is the 737 MAX program is too big to fail. 900 delivered, 4000 orders. The fixes might actually make the planes safe enough to fly but this should never have happened.

The plane is here to stay and its being forced onto travelers. In the end, people will be flying on this plane for the next 20-30 years.

It will be fine don't worry about it. There are far more likely ways to die.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Die in plane crash, my family will get any compensation money?

I dont mind dying if there is compensation.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Die in plane crash, my family will get any compensation money?

I dont mind dying if there is compensation.

Doc I think you need to examine your mental health again. I go through similar periods when I type out messages in the same vein and it's always when I feel that life has no purpose.

When I'm feeling good my messages take on a different tone ie about future plans, goals etc.

I suspect practicing medicine is not doing you any favors. Perhaps you'd be far happier with some blue collar job.