• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beyond the hypocrisy of Elections

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used the word 'hypocrisy' in the sense that all of a sudden, the voter is most courted person during this period.

By the PAP in its search for the continuance of its power. As elections are democratic and one man is entitled to one vote, then insofar as the election system of GRCs and SMCs allow, the process will result in democratically elected leaders.

For the past five years, the PAP scorecard include disastrous investments, bringing in foreigners to the extent that singaporeans are marginalized, town councils acting as fund managers and losing money, MPs whose existence you would have never known except for the cardboard boxes.

Doubtless PAP supporters will dispute that, pointing to profits generated by Temasek, the grassroots efforts spearheaded by the MPs, the need to keep conservancy fees low by the Town Councils.

On the other hand, the scorecards of the WP and SDA are even worse. The elected leaders are largely silent on the issues that impacted Singaporean lives, leave the voicing to disenchanted Singaporeans.

Doubtless their supporters will disputed that. The unfairness of the media, the solitary voices in Parliament, the unfair playing ground during Elections.

Hence the drama in these pre-Election days:

PAP - telling us that our voices are heard; they will moderate entry of foreign talent, treasure more the singaporeans over PRs and at the same time, give us a warning that our HDB prices may be affected (although that is true given the data available in the HDB website in which case it can be construed as a statement rather than a threat)

WP & SDA - silence, largely. Except to tell Singaporeans that WP will not contest in Ang Mo Kio which carries a vast amount of implications - a message perhaps that is intended more for the PAP than the voters, given their propensity to silence. And that SDA will contest in Toa Payoh.​

After the Elections, what are likely to happen?

PAP - likely to increase GST, PUB, Town Council, etc, etc, etc; medical inflation up, etc, etc. Their own salaries up.

WP & SDA - silence, largely.​

Therefore beyond the hypocrisy of the Elections which is nothing more than a circus of entertainment every 5 years, what will the Singaporeans do in-between Elections?

Discussions of the past (Hock Lee Riots), old leaders (Rajaratnam) which brings nostalgia for some but are of no or limited relevance to today's issues. A way of passing time.

Continued anger about PAP policies with disgruntled singaporeans doing the work of the oppositions.

Migrations.​

Thus for Singaporeans, in these pre-Election days perhaps we should ponder what should this Election (whether in 2010, 2011, 2012) mean to us?

Not in the sense of a coffee shop talk where we have nothing better to do.

But in the sense of understanding the underlying political issues with a view of good voting decisions. Actually only one decision. Yes or No. The question is 'which?'

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doubtless their supporters will disputed that.

No one needs to do something that you can do yourself. You mentioned that the voter is most courted during this period and I assume it refers to by all parties. You also mentioned that WP and SDA has been silent. I presume that the silence means that WP and SDA means they are *not* courting the voter. No one need to dispute another if he does so himself.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, could you work on your paragraphs - there are just too many and they are making the thread so much longer than it is. Also be concise with your ideas. Not sure you know when paragraphs actually apply.

I used the word 'hypocrisy' in the sense that all of a sudden, the voter is most courted person during this period.

[/INDENT]

Thus for Singaporeans, in these pre-Election days perhaps we should ponder what should this Election (whether in 2010, 2011, 2012) mean to us?

Not in the sense of a coffee shop talk where we have nothing better to do.

But in the sense of understanding the underlying political issues with a view of good voting decisions. Actually only one decision. Yes or No. The question is 'which?'

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think that more vigorous campaigning during election can be termed hipocrosy. It's only natural. If for whole five years, every day campaign, then I worry and we all probably get sickened. People like to think that oppositions are silent during non-election years and PAP is always active. That's a fallacy. If there's silence, then all as political parties are silent, including PAP. You read all about what government says in the papers and watch them on TV. It's government activity for which every day they have to do and get well paid for. It's not party activity. Opposition members, not being in power, has other jobs to do to feed their families. If any opposition member spend full-time every day talking politics without a gainful job, s/he'd probably be classified as insane or suspicious (as in who puts food on the table).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. Singaporeans have been brought up in a environment where the control of the mainstream media is absolute that the level of decent political maturity is non-existent. If not for the internet and likes of yourself, and many of the opposition political identities that are ready to post comments, run blogs, many Singaporeans will be clueless.

Even today, Singaporeans cannot even contemplate a life without PAP. It has been become their mother and father and life long guardian. A long term Stockholm syndrome in operation.

Just take the thread-starter and his previous posts and one can't help notice the dependence on the PAP in thought. A very good example is PAP's Nick Lazarus who genuinely feels that opposition is redundant. This coming from a lawyer.

Many years ago, the PAP leadership itself lamented about its success and have to look for a new generation of leaders from outside PAP and Singapore as its members and Singaporeans have become so dependent on the PAP that they cannot take leadership position because the mind has stopped functioning.

I don't think that more vigorous campaigning during election can be termed hipocrosy. It's only natural.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. Singaporeans have been brought up in a environment where the control of the mainstream media is absolute that the level of decent political maturity is non-existent. If not for the internet and likes of yourself, and many of the opposition political identities that are ready to post comments, run blogs, many Singaporeans will be clueless.

Even today, Singaporeans cannot even contemplate a life without PAP. It has been become their mother and father and life long guardian. A long term Stockholm syndrome in operation.

The problem is, a lot of Singaporeans are not knowledgeable about political related issues in Singapore. They are too comfortable in their current or should I say, past situation to make a point to understand the problems with PAP.

Like myself, I am still learning and I am willing to share my knowledge to my friends however, the problem is the learning curve is steep and I constantly need to read say 1,000 words before I find 100 words that can improve my knowledge. Can anyone of you guys advice how a newbie could start acquiring knowledge efficiently?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have already cleared the first hurdle ie expressing the desire to learn. Most of us started reading books from the library. The. first few books might not paint the picture but eventually it will come together.

Would suggest starting with Edwin Lee's "The Unexpected Nation", relatively new book but really good. The books are like the fishing rod and hook, once comfortable, you will start fishing. Don't rush, it will eventually come to you. To fill the gaps, ask questions in forums.

The problem is, a lot of Singaporeans are not knowledgeable about political related issues in Singapore. They are too comfortable in their current or should I say, past situation to make a point to understand the problems with PAP.

Like myself, I am still learning and I am willing to share my knowledge to my friends however, the problem is the learning curve is steep and I constantly need to read say 1,000 words before I find 100 words that can improve my knowledge. Can anyone of you guys advice how a newbie could start acquiring knowledge efficiently?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes well said. Government activity goes on everyday - you can point out that 9 out of 10 traffic lights are working to vote PAP. The opposition can't show anything like that.

The same IR (no pun intention) doesn't comprehend that the opposition has been left to sit at a table of 10 at Starbucks once a week and he still expects that roads, houses and highways will rise from the ground like volcanos to earn his vote.

Last edited:

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that a number of you have read the situation wrongly. Even if i detailed it out, i doubt if you will agree. Being opposition members / supporters, how can the opposition parties be wrong? And again the standard refrain from one of you, the PAP is unfair even at Starbucks. I suggest you take a look at the wp.sg, check out the clothings.

Ramseth, I agree with you that each has his job to do and thus need to focus on that. Maybe i am wrong about the WP and i am always ready to stand corrected. What i had seen so far had given me no confidence in them and it is not the silence i am referring to. Their latest decision not to contest in AMK GRC and announcing this so early in the game gives rise to some questions.

I reiterate again, that unless a person truly seeks to see the objective situation, he will see it only from his own perspective. When that happens, communication breaks down and activism begins.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes well said. Government activity goes on everyday - you can point out that 9 out of 10 traffic lights are working to vote PAP. The opposition can't show anything like that.

The same IR (no pun intention) doesn't comprehend that the opposition has been left to sit at a table of 10 at Starbucks once a week and he still expects that roads, houses and highways will rise from the ground like volcanos to earn his vote.

Then tell us what the opposition can show.

They had 25 years to do something.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

..in the sense of understanding the underlying political issues with a view of good voting decisions. Actually only one decision. Yes or No. The question is 'which?'

This, for the non-partisan voter, is the most important question a voter can ask. Those who view politics from blinkered perspectives need not apply.

Is the PAP the right party for us? Why?

How about NSP, WP, RP, SDA, SDP? Why?​

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are asking the wrong question. PAP will continue to form government. That's a given. Its more to do with getting a few more seats. No opposition parties has ever contemplated forming or even going for government. One has to be realistic.

If PAP loses a few seats or a minister losing a seat or GRC, its a signal to the PAP government to do better. That's what democracy is all about.

Are you by any chance still schooling. I am asking as you are keen to post but don't seem to grasp the issues. You have already stated in previous post that you have made your decision but even the PAP has not announced its line-up. You might want to read up widely.

This, for the non-partisan voter, is the most important question a voter can ask. Those who view politics from blinkered perspectives need not apply.

Is the PAP the right party for us? Why?

How about NSP, WP, RP, SDA, SDP? Why?​

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are asking the wrong question. PAP will continue to form government. That's a given. Its more to do with getting a few more seats. No opposition parties has ever contemplated forming or even going for government. One has to be realistic.

If PAP loses a few seats or a minister losing a seat or GRC, its a signal to the PAP government to do better. That's what democracy is all about.

Are you by any chance still schooling. I am asking as you are keen to post but don't seem to grasp the issues. You have already stated in previous post that you have made your decision but even the PAP has not announced its line-up. You might want to read up widely.

I don't think we can agree on this matter.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then tell us what the opposition can show.

They had 25 years to do something.

If one's not given a chance on the job, there's nothing to do to show. But some were the chance. JBJ did well enough to win twice but was removed by lawsuit. CST and LTK did well enough to keep winning so far. To be fair, there's been hits and misses. LHD and CCC won once each and apparently didn't do well enough to keep their seats.

Like Scroobal said, Opposition candidates are contesting for regional seats and voices in Parliament, not for Government. It's even unfair on the media (however biased) to expect them to keep reporting on certain regional affairs just because there're opposition incumbents there. Many PAP MPs got zero media coverage all year long. What have they shown you? Nothing, but you take the Government (and media coverage of Government news) as representative for them.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one's not given a chance on the job, there's nothing to do to show. But some were the chance. JBJ did well enough to win twice but was removed by lawsuit. CST and LTK did well enough to keep winning so far. To be fair, there's been hits and misses. LHD and CCC won once each and apparently didn't do well enough to keep their seats.

Like Scroobal said, Opposition candidates are contesting for regional seats and voices in Parliament, not for Government. It's even unfair on the media (however biased) to expect them to keep reporting on certain regional affairs just because there're opposition incumbents there. Many PAP MPs got zero media coverage all year long. What have they shown you? Nothing, but you take the Government (and media coverage of Government news) as representative for them.

But what if i tell you that there is plenty they could have done but not do?

To take one example, the question of Tampines and the platform of HDB prices.

MBT is in effect, handling the aftermath of a more fundamental policy - that of increasing the number of singaporeans.

If the oppositions are contesting for regional seats, then they would have focused on a joint strategy - that of the PAP's scorecard for the past 5 years. People can vote if they like that scorecard or if they will give the oppositions a chance to change that scorecard. In that sense the whole Election will be one of a regional contest.

Instead you have WP telling the world that they will not contest in AMK GRC.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry Ramseth, i have to go off now

if what i say makes sense, think it over

if not, just take it whatever way you want

cheers