• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best performing stock markets globally

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
1.India, 2.Brazil, 3. Russia, 4. China

Indian stocks best performers across the world in 2009 so far
28 Jun 2009, 2258 hrs

Indian stocks have emerged as the best performers among those in the emerging and the developed markets across the globe so far this
year, giving investors the highest return of nearly 60 per cent.

According to an analysis of MSCI Barra indices, a measure of returns from various stock markets across the world for foreign investors, Indian stocks have outperformed their global peers, including in the US, the UK and China in 2009 so far.

Indian stocks have provided a return of 59.30 per cent year-to-date, against 34.37 per cent gains provided by MSCI Barra's emerging market index, covering all developing nations.

Indian stocks have even outperformed all the developed world markets covered by MSCI Barra, as the markets in the US and the UK gave returns of just 2.33 per cent and 10.17 per cent, respectively, so far this year.

Among the emerging BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) nations, the Brazilian market was the closest competitor with gains of 56.89 per cent till June 26 this year. The Chinese and the Russian markets have given returns of 36.77 per cent and 41.61 per cent, respectively, in the year so far.

The 30-share benchmark index of Indian stocks, Sensex, gained over 5,000 points in the year so far to settle at 14,764.64 points on June 26 compared to 9,600 levels on December 31, 2008.

lodoftherings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting news.....

28 Jun 2009, 2258 hrs

Indian stocks have emerged as the best performers among those in the emerging and the developed markets across the globe so far this

The 30-share benchmark index of Indian stocks, Sensex, gained over 5,000 points in the year so far to settle at 14,764.64 points on June 26 compared to 9,600 levels on December 31, 2008.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess it all depends on the dates that you use to make calculations.

These are the figures that i got. It shows the Chinese markets just a percent below the India market. Bombay Stock Exchange capitalization is $1.7 Trillion compared to $3.7 Trillion for the Shanghai market. Also do not forget that Hong Kong Stock market (part of China) alone has a market cap of $2.7 Trillion. It would take a lot more good news or stimulus to push up a larger market.

Finally whoever coined BRIC fail to realize how different these economies are. They should not belong in the same basket. Russia and Brasil are huge resource exporters and for Russia it is mainly oil and gas. China is a manufacturing power house. India's strength is in subcontracted IT work.

In all, the top 10 stock markets of are as follows:

* Country 2009 Growth Decline from 52-Week High
* Peru 72.92% -31.94%
* Russia 53.33% -61.22%
* India 48.25% -18.26%
* China 47.01% -26.30%
* Taiwan 44.96% -28.51%
* Ukraine 44.30% -55.38%
* Argentina 43.24% -31.47%
* Indonesia 39.15% -25.05%
* Brazil 37.32% -30.18%

http://www.economywatch.com/stock-m...ock-markets-best-performing-markets-2009.html

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just did a recent round up of the various markets as of June 31, 2009 compared with Dec 31 2008 (end of last year).

Shanghai (2008/2009) 1820/3008 64% increase
Bombay Stock Exchange 9647/14645 51% increase

Incidentally your report was wrong:

Shanghai Index at June 26 2009 was 2928 and it was 1820 Dec 31 2008 giving a return of 61%.

Bombay Index at June 26 2009 was 14764 and it was 9647 Dec 31 2008 giving a return of 53%

Where did you get the report from? Seems to be a poorly written report that is not based on the facts. I cannot believe that they can make such a mistake.

I got my info from:

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia

Very easy, just look for historical information for Dec 31 2008 and June 26 (date mentioned in that report of yours) and calculate the percentage increase.

As lodoftherings said - interesting news. Perhaps he caught on to the error in the news reporting.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
The correct numbers are here as of July 1 closing

Shanghai Composite +65%

Mumbai Sensex +51%

Dow Jones -3%

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besotted - thanks for the confirmations.

I was surprised that a news article could make such an error and had double check my numbers given that the article was quoted and the main subject for this particular thread.

Also in future, it is useful if the original poster could attach the link for the article. That would allow one to judge the credibility of the article without having to do some back of the env. calculation ( Wall Street Journal, economist vs ST or BT article)

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besotted - thanks for the confirmations.

I was surprised that a news article could make such an error and had double check my numbers given that the article was quoted and the main subject for this particular thread.

Also in future, it is useful if the original poster could attach the link for the article. That would allow one to judge the credibility of the article without having to do some back of the env. calculation ( Wall Street Journal, economist vs ST or BT article)

Figures were as shown in: MSCI Barra indices

Z

Zombie

28 Jun 2009, 2258 hrs

Where are the people that say USA is the bestest in this world?
Come and debunk this one. :biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot find MSCI Barra info. But when I search "MSCI Barra" "India Stocks" I managed to reach your article which was carried solely by India media.

The article I posted above can be found in more mainstream media.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where are the people that say USA is the bestest in this world?
Come and debunk this one. :biggrin:

Depends on your definition of 'best' :smile:

US mkt is the most accessible market. Also very liquid. Small time investor can dabble.

Even if you want to invest in India or China, how? Probably must go through some middleman & what about dangers of companies like Satyam :smile: