• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beijing Olympics 2008

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting stats here. If you're an athlete with a top three chance, you most probably will go all out for gold instead of settling for silver or bronze. The gold striking rates for the nations with at least 10 gold medals out of total medals are:

China = 57%
Britain = 44%
Germany = 39%
USA = 33%
Australia = 31%
Russia = 27%

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The English-speaking countries (USA, Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica) have a combined population less than half of China's, but have a combined gold medal tally of 57 versus China 42. Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei haven't contributed any gold medal yet to the Chinese-speaking circle. I don't know whether to count Singapore as English-speaking or Chinese-speaking. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Singapore haven't won a gold medal too.

Flatteringly, I've received some reputation points for the post above. Thanks! :smile: Actually, the above post was written in response to PM Lee's NDR speech where he said that China, based on its population, has to win 300 medals to be on par with Singapore's achievement. What crap? :confused:

Other countries can say that but Singapore cannot. All Singapore medalists from Tan Howe Liang to Li Jiawei, Feng Tianwei and Wang Yuegu were born in China. PM Lee's completely insensitive and lost plot.

Anyway, there aren't so many events for any country to win 300 medals.

darknight

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know all these ministers know crap about sports. The last time Lau Goh mention that we show copy Man Utd during the season they brough Veron and Ruud, in the end, Man Utd end their season with nothing and Veron being declare as a flop. And there is this Marlboro Tan who mention goal 2010. But what have they really did? Talk is cheap but it keep us entertain for their so call insight. hahahha

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today, August 21, 2008:

"If the medal table is adjusted for countries' GDP per capita, scaling the size of the economy by the population, impoverished North Korea is the top performer with two gold, one silver and three bronze medals, followed by China (43-14-19) and Zimbabwe (1-3-0) ... Singapore is ranked last of the 75 countries on the table."

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As expected, Brtain is putting up strong performances in preparation for London 2012. A top 3 finish would be nice, but the games are not quite yet finished. Russia is hot on the heels with the athletic events.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I predict China will be getting min 35 Gold.
Here my prediction for GOLD medal
1. China 35~50max.
2. USA 25~35 max.
3. Russia 10~20.

Above is my earlier prediction. So far all hit the target. The only think can be wrong is China may get more than 50 GOLD.
Look like G. Britain is chasing very hard this Olympic maybe because they will be host for the Olympic 2012.
Russia might get slightly more than 20 Gold but sure will be less than 25 Gold medal.
For the US 100% will be less than 35 Gold.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting stats here. If you're an athlete with a top three chance, you most probably will go all out for gold instead of settling for silver or bronze. The gold striking rates for the nations with at least 10 gold medals out of total medals are:

China = 57%
Britain = 44%
Germany = 39%
USA = 33%
Australia = 31%
Russia = 27%

Most thinking of GOLD but the have to settle for 2nd/3rd place because others are better than them.:smile:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
a bit disappointed with US.
just look at those athletic events that they once dominate,now lost most of them.
just to tell the world that without the assistance of drugs,they are nobody.
some more still not pai-seh and keep saying that other people on drugs to win medals.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Above is my earlier prediction. So far all hit the target. The only think can be wrong is China may get more than 50 GOLD.
Look like G. Britain is chasing very hard this Olympic maybe because they will be host for the Olympic 2012.
Russia might get slightly more than 20 Gold but sure will be less than 25 Gold medal.
For the US 100% will be less than 35 Gold.

Yes, even if China eventually get more than 50 gold medals, your forecasts are considered very accurate. Congratulations! The only surprise is that Russia now have to fight Britain for the 3rd spot.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a bit disappointed with US.
just look at those athletic events that they once dominate,now lost most of them.
just to tell the world that without the assistance of drugs,they are nobody.
some more still not pai-seh and keep saying that other people on drugs to win medals.

Earlier, I was expecting the US to narrow its gap with table-topping China through the athletic events, but the US seem to be losing every event. Even in events traditionally dominated by the US, the sprints and the relays, zero gold medal for the US.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, even if China eventually get more than 50 gold medals, your forecasts are considered very accurate. Congratulations! The only surprise is that Russia now have to fight Britain for the 3rd spot.

Russia now is 4th place just behind by 2 Gold medal. It will take over G. Britain for 3 spot no problem at all.:smile::smile::smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Russia now is 4th place just behind by 2 Gold medal. It will take over G. Britain for 3 spot no problem at all.:smile::smile::smile:

Russia has now narrowed the gap to one gold medal between themselves and Britain, thanks to a Jamaican cockup in the women's relay that disqualified both Jamaica and Britain.

Anyway, for fun's sake, I'll take Britain to stay 3rd and you'll take Russia to overtake 3rd. For fairness' sake, I'll give you one gold medal handicap; silver and bronze medals don't count. How? On?

(This offer remains valid only when Britain lead Russia by one gold medal or more.)

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Li Jiawei cried after her defeat in the bronze medal match. So touching and heart-melting. Think don't criticise her anymore.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Argentina won the Gold Medal for football

Argentina won the GOLD medal for football by beating Nigeria 1-0.
Di Maria scored the only goal.

Img214577396.jpg