• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Banking & Finance (includes credit cards posting)

Nomadoi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong leong FD @ 3.6%
Anyone has updates for other banks?

Still waiting for the banker to reply regarding taxes on FD interest.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
The FD rates seem pretty consistent across the banks, although some give slightly more attractive rates with the requirement of higher deposit amount.

Hong leong FD @ 3.6%
Anyone has updates for other banks?

Still waiting for the banker to reply regarding taxes on FD interest.

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Friends,

Could anyone advise in getting loan in Singapore to finance a property in Malaysia?

Sometimes ago, i heard that from a friend mentioning that a Singaporean did something similar. I suspect that he may have mortgaged his current Singapore's house and took the loan to full payment his Malaysia's house.

Any pro and con?

Advise. Thank you.

Last edited:

Nomadoi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Update on FD interest tax.

Hong leong Malaysia banker said her manager said there is no tax on foreigner on FD interest. 100K cap is old regulation.

Double check with Singapore CIMB banker to check with his Malaysia counter part, same reply. Will update again if I kanna tax:*:

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any measures on foreigners regarding car loan?

My brother got one, is a new Toyota Innova 2.0G, Toyota has it own in-house bank finance. reduce the hassle of submitting doc ...etc.
Criteria: a permanent Malaysia address (can submit S&P doc), if not require Malaysian as guarantor.

Must be careful when you buy used car, heard that some car agents don't do proper transfer of name and never check past records eg. summons

Sometimes, hidden costs here and there.. Better to buy new, ask for OTR (ON THE ROAD) price, everything in eg. include road tax , registration, insurance, ...car number & car plate...

if you intend to buy small car, suggest to go for Perodua than Proton. don't go for lower end toyota, sheet metal feel. Toyota Hilux is good but top stolen model.

Nomadoi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do up my FD today, spend almost 1.5 hrs there. Tellers and manager are horrible in terms of product knowledge, rules, regulation and procedure.

Politely ask the manager to confirm on the Tax on FD Interest, she check and confirmed again there is no cap now.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, was the confirmation from HLB?

1.5 hours seem quite long ... Maybe first time set up only ? Subsequent transactions should be much faster?

Thanks for the updates. It's always good to hear tax being abolished :smile:

Do up my FD today, spend almost 1.5 hrs there. Tellers and manager are horrible in terms of product knowledge, rules, regulation and procedure.

Politely ask the manager to confirm on the Tax on FD Interest, she check and confirmed again there is no cap now.

Last edited:

Movingaway

Alfrescian
Loyal
My brother got one, is a new Toyota Innova 2.0G, Toyota has it own in-house bank finance. reduce the hassle of submitting doc ...etc.
Criteria: a permanent Malaysia address (can submit S&P doc), if not require Malaysian as guarantor.

Must be careful when you buy used car, heard that some car agents don't do proper transfer of name and never check past records eg. summons

Sometimes, hidden costs here and there.. Better to buy new, ask for OTR (ON THE ROAD) price, everything in eg. include road tax , registration, insurance, ...car number & car plate...

if you intend to buy small car, suggest to go for Perodua than Proton. don't go for lower end toyota, sheet metal feel. Toyota Hilux is good but top stolen model.

Thanks for the info, yeah their toyota hylux looks reasonable priced

Nomadoi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Doa,

Yes it from HLB, gain a lot here small update nothing to mention about...

Perhaps you right it's my first time, but the teller didnt even know the FD rate:*:. My inability to communicate in Malay just add few more minutes:smile:

Start learning Malayu soon...cheers!

jerrycoaching

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guide to your banking needs in Malaysia

Just to share with everyone...

Maybank Malaysia does not allows Singaporeans to have savings account with them. Only current account. There is a service charge of 5RM per month.

RHB Bank allows savings account. Minimum of 250RM. There is a service charge of 20rm/year for the debit card.

Feel free to share

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Guide to your banking needs in Malaysia

choose one that is most convenient to you, which has a branch that near your house.

maybank and CIMB are generally accepted for most internet banking.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybank Malaysia does not allows Singaporeans to have savings account with them. Only current account. There is a service charge of 5RM per month.

RHB Bank allows savings account. Minimum of 250RM. There is a service charge of 20rm/year for the debit card.

Feel free to share

For MayBank, I recommend net current account-I
http://www.maybank2u.com.my/mbb_inf...ntAccounts&chCatId=/mbb/Personal/ACC-Accounts

Key features -> No service charge if min $1000 is maintained (other accounts require $3000), interest bearing and I have been using this to issue cheques for my property purchases. I also TT money to this account.

Only hassle is that you must apply for this account from the link I provided. Cannot apply at branch. Must submit online application and then go to the nominated home branch to do the paperwork.
I am Malaysian so am not sure if non Malaysians can apply for this or not but this is a current account lah so if what jerrycoaching says is true, then likely non Msians can apply for this account.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi
Can i check if it is norm for loan/bank agent to come over to spore with the lawyer to sign all the documents?

Btw, what is the latest loan interest rate?
HSBC : BLR - 2.35%, no mrta

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Feel free to share

Few months ago I opened a trading account with Maybank for buying Malaysia shares and so opened a savings account at the same time at Pelangi branch. Can be done and no service charge of Rm5 per month.

Last edited:

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal

Had the worst experience with AmBank's staff and she was supposed to have worked there for a very long while.

poor pdt knowledge and once signed the loan agreement.... a message will take her 3 days to reply.

I even went to collect my chq book (when I could have simply purchase a chq from the bank) and was then informed it is not there cos the despatch send wrong branch blah blah blah......

Horrible service and pdt knowledge.... I even asked her so I can collect my chq book, Bank book and ATM card all on the same day? Her reply "YUP" and when I am there then I know current account dun hve bank book but just monthly statement.

Pior to signing the loan agreement form, asked her wat are the requirements and anything I nid to bring to open an account, her reply, "RM$100"..... then to realise tat for savings account is $100 but current account is $500.

haiyo.... hope all these IS OVER...........

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi
Can i check if it is norm for loan/bank agent to come over to spore with the lawyer to sign all the documents?

Btw, what is the latest loan interest rate?
HSBC : BLR - 2.35%, no mrta

Definitely not the norm, more of a great exception rather than the rule. I think you can get 2.4% with no MRTA, shop around first or get loan consultant