• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AYG organisation is unprofessional

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHILE I am proud as a Singaporean that Singapore is hosting the inaugural Asian Youth Games (AYG), I cannot help but feel that the organisation of the Games needs improvement.

I'm certain many Singaporeans are disappointed as are many of my foreign friends who came here just to watch the Games.

First, the official website is unprofessional, provides scanty details and misses even fundamental ones like a properly updated medal tally.

My foreign friends tell me that they could not instantly ascertain the medal winners from the medal tally chart and had to painstakingly check each result slip to find out the individual medal winners for each country.

There were also abrupt changes in telecast - for instance, on Channel 4 on Wednesday, table tennis was shown in place of beach volleyball without any prior warning to viewers. The coverage of shooting was also poor.

Viewers had to squint to follow zoomed-in results on live screens at the shooting venue, as they were not given easy-to-follow graphics showing the shooters' official scores.

There was no information on country-to-country match-ups until it was too late.

This meant that fans overseas could not buy tickets in advance to support their teams as they do not know when their teams will play.

In the daily highlights, there was no mention of Singapore's bowling gold medal winners, frustrating many fans who stayed up late to view the 11pm telecast and share the glory of our bowlers.

The telecast of swimming was also disastrous with the camera zooming out as Lynette Lim won the gold, leaving viewers to wonder who finished second and third.

The broadcaster interrupted several national anthems with strange pre-recorded music.

Most disappointing of all, there were several unannounced changes to the Games schedule.

For example, a couple of foreign friends and I bought tickets to the women's beach volleyball quarter-final matches, which was scheduled to be held today but was suddenly switched to yesterday.

Ticket holders were not informed by the organisers and knew of the changes only when they checked the website a few hours before the event. There was no information on how to obtain refunds.

I hope the organisers of next year's Youth Olympic Games will learn from the mistakes made during these Games.

Robin Chee

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I watched the live telecast of the opening ceremony and was disappointed with the video quality of the telecast. It was poor in contrast, dull in color and low in video resolution even though it was shown on HD5.

Shouldn't the AYG be shown in Full HD? I question the wisdom in awarding the official broadcaster right to Starhub when they have shown to be lacking in technical experience in covering live sports events. It is humiliating that the video footages of the AYG in the mediacorp news show clearer and sharper video than the actual telecast by Starhub.
Posted by: yikw0088 at Sat Jul 04 13:15:01 SGT 2009

darememore

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHILE I am proud as a Singaporean that Singapore is hosting the inaugural Asian Youth Games (AYG), I cannot help but feel that the organisation of the Games needs improvement.

I'm certain many Singaporeans are disappointed as are many of my foreign friends who came here just to watch the Games.

First, the official website is unprofessional, provides scanty details and misses even fundamental ones like a properly updated medal tally.

My foreign friends tell me that they could not instantly ascertain the medal winners from the medal tally chart and had to painstakingly check each result slip to find out the individual medal winners for each country.

There were also abrupt changes in telecast - for instance, on Channel 4 on Wednesday, table tennis was shown in place of beach volleyball without any prior warning to viewers. The coverage of shooting was also poor.

Viewers had to squint to follow zoomed-in results on live screens at the shooting venue, as they were not given easy-to-follow graphics showing the shooters' official scores.

There was no information on country-to-country match-ups until it was too late.

This meant that fans overseas could not buy tickets in advance to support their teams as they do not know when their teams will play.

In the daily highlights, there was no mention of Singapore's bowling gold medal winners, frustrating many fans who stayed up late to view the 11pm telecast and share the glory of our bowlers.

The telecast of swimming was also disastrous with the camera zooming out as Lynette Lim won the gold, leaving viewers to wonder who finished second and third.

The broadcaster interrupted several national anthems with strange pre-recorded music.

Most disappointing of all, there were several unannounced changes to the Games schedule.

For example, a couple of foreign friends and I bought tickets to the women's beach volleyball quarter-final matches, which was scheduled to be held today but was suddenly switched to yesterday.

Ticket holders were not informed by the organisers and knew of the changes only when they checked the website a few hours before the event. There was no information on how to obtain refunds.

I hope the organisers of next year's Youth Olympic Games will learn from the mistakes made during these Games.

Robin Chee

Any games organiser after the Beijing Olympic is doom to be failure