• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australia tightens rules for foreign property buyers

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
SYDNEY - Australia Saturday clamped down on foreigners buying property after complaints that a rapid influx of Asian money had helped make its housing among the most expensive in the world.

The government reimposed tough rules relaxed in 2008 that say temporary residents need permission to buy homes and must sell when they leave, while foreigners investing from abroad can only buy new properties.

The rules are backed by stiff new penalties including compulsory sell orders, as well as expanded monitoring and a crackdown on real estate agents who help foreigners flout the rules.

They follow growing disquiet that ordinary Australians are being priced out of the market after a decade-long property boom that has accelerated over the past year.

"We want to make sure that Australian working families are not being priced out of their own family homes. That is why we have acted in the way in which we have done," said Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

"We want to make sure that foreign speculators are not going to force up prices for Australians seeking to buy their own home, buy their first home and we think this is the right course of action."

House prices have been red-hot in Australia's major cities, especially Sydney and Melbourne and also Perth, centre of the country's booming minerals exports to Asia.

Victoria state, whose capital is Melbourne, smashed the billion-dollar (925 million US dollars) weekly sales barrier in March, while Rupert Murdoch's son Lachlan landed a record 23-million-dollar property at a Sydney auction in November.

An international survey released in January found Australia's housing was the least affordable among six advanced nations including the United States, Britain, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland.

Australia's opposition has said foreign investors are outbidding locals at house auctions, while media reports refer to cashed-up Asian buyers snapping up homes for their children studying in the country.

However experts also blame a lack of housing supply and say government hand-outs, including grants for first-time buyers, have inflated prices.

- AFP/ir

AngKuKuih

Alfrescian
Loyal
The outcome of this tightening of foreign ownership will be an interesting event to follow down the road. It will definitely dampen the property prices as the rich foreign Chinese who are on temporary visas will be kept out of the auction and the house prices will soften going forward. What do you thinks guys out there???

AKK

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
i understand that sg ministers and MPs, including the Lees, are currently holding huge lots of land around australia. it will be interesting to see just how Rudd can force these bunch of gits to force sell their land.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
The outcome of this tightening of foreign ownership will be an interesting event to follow down the road. It will definitely dampen the property prices as the rich foreign Chinese who are on temporary visas will be kept out of the auction and the house prices will soften going forward. What do you thinks guys out there???

AKK

Shit ! my million dollar property is going to be million cents with immediate effect ! Interesting, but nothing will change the fact that.. there is insufficient supply and the under-utilised land in inner eastern suburb, where the best schools and infrastructures are located..

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
i understand that sg ministers and MPs, including the Lees, are currently holding huge lots of land around australia. it will be interesting to see just how Rudd can force these bunch of gits to force sell their land.

As long as they bought new or demolished the previous structure and built a new one they won't be affected.

I don't think these people are the type that will live in second-hand dwellings anyway.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
The govt is just reducing the foreign stimulus which they allowed in during the GFC now that its back to status quo. Nothing too special about it imho.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as they bought new or demolished the previous structure and built a new one they won't be affected.

I don't think these people are the type that will live in second-hand dwellings anyway.

May ot be dwellings but investment properties maybe?

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
interesting. now, how would that affect Oz and then the rest of the region?

The PRCs will come to spore and drive up prices further!

Our PAP will losen policies and make them feel welcome.

Our ministers should all declare their properties in Spore to avoid conflict of interest

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shit ! my million dollar property is going to be million cents with immediate effect ! Interesting, but nothing will change the fact that.. there is insufficient supply and the under-utilised land in inner eastern suburb, where the best schools and infrastructures are located..

Don't worry. Melbourne is going to overtake Sydney as the niggest city. Meanwhile, they are not building enough houses in Melbourne, so you are safe.

Moreover, China is trying to cool the property market, so, Chinese are by crook finding loopholes to buy your properties.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The FIBR change only slows a small percentage of the frenzy that is happening here. It just means I don't go to auction now to look for 19yo PRC mei meis that buy houses with suitcases of cash now. It would have very minimal or no impact at all in suburbs that are well established. $600K at Epping for a two bedroom apartment because of the school. That is how ridiculous prices are going on around here.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry. Melbourne is going to overtake Sydney as the niggest city. Meanwhile, they are not building enough houses in Melbourne, so you are safe.

Moreover, China is trying to cool the property market, so, Chinese are by crook finding loopholes to buy your properties.

Hehee.. my property is within the Chinese and locals' radar. Nothing can change a good location site.. I think it should be safe..