• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie racism row erupts as Indian family moves into Ramsay Street

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neighbours racist row erupts as Indian family moves into all white Ramsay Street – and viewers complain
Staff from popular TV show forced to remove racist posts left on its website from fans

Actor who plays Indian father hits out saying they probably supported the 'White Australia' policy

By FRANK THORNE
Last updated at 7:21 PM on 9th December 2011

A nasty race row has broken out over an Indian family becoming residents into Australia's long-running TV soap Neighbours.
The actor who plays an Indian father in Ramsay Street has hit out at fans who say it is 'un-Australian' to cast him, saying they probably supported the 'White Australia' policy.

Melbourne-born of Indian descent, Sachin Joab is part of the long-running TV soap's attempt to tackle perceptions the show is too white and doesn't represent modern Australia.

Yesterday, Neighbours staff Down Under were forced to remove several racist posts from fans angry a non-Anglo-Saxon family would become show regulars, writing 'that racism and small-mindedness won't be tolerated.'

Joab blamed racism on a 'lack of education.'
'There is various pockets that will say it is un-Australian to have an Indian or an Indian family on Ramsay St,' he said.

Disgraceful: Neighbours staff have been forced to remove several racist posts from fans who are angry a non-Anglo-Saxon family would become show regulars in Ramsay Street, pictured

'Those Aussies who are saying it is un-Australian will be the same ones who pretty much supported the White Australia policy back in the day, you are never going to get away from that kind of stuff.'

Joab said while most Australians were tolerant and respectful, he still faced bouts of racism.

'I faced racism myself, from the early years in primary school all the way up to recent times. Sometimes it's just blatant,' he said.
'I think having a show that shows different families coming together can only be good for the community.'

Neighbours executive producer Susan Bowers explained that the show wanted to represent a 'more modern society.'

Joab will be joined by Menik Gooneratne and Coco-Jacinta Cherian - together they will make up the Kapoor family.

Ms Bowers said most of the inappropriate comments came from a 'small minority.'

But one British fan commented: 'I would also like to point out, this same post was put up on Neighbours UK and so far there has been no racist comments. Think a lot could be learnt from us Brits!'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-moves-white-Ramsay-Street.html#ixzz1gBmEI4GX

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
hell to racist indians equally.
disparaging comments about indians should be welcomed. no pc please.
indians have been getting away ripping fair aussie values.
name me a country that has came so far since white aussie days.
new indian migrants wearing saris should be sent back to the sub-con !!!

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll never bother to watch any Aussie dramas does that make me 'un-Australian'?

Well - big bang theory features a Indian ( speaks with complete Indian accent) as one of the lead actors, Aussies have got a lot to learn from America.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I certainly wouldn't want a Mama Pundek family moving into my street. It would ruin the ambiance and depress property values.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
NB. Sam, you damn racist.
You already depressed the property value when you move into your neighbourhood.