• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AUD reaching parity with USD soon?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm wonder how much is that to SGD? 1.6?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/parity-talk-time-again-for-the-aussie-20100409-rwwg.html

Parity talk time again for the Aussie
CHRIS ZAPPONE
April 9, 2010 - 1:11PM
Be the first to comment Vote
It's parity talk time again.

Almost two years since the Australian dollar touched generation-high levels against the US dollar at almost 98 US cents, debate over whether and when the Aussie will exceed the greenback in value is back.

The Reserve Bank's move this week to raise its cash rate again sparked fresh impetus to the Aussie dollar's rise. The central bank's signal that more rate rises are ahead also added to the currency's relative allure.

And economists are dusting off the history books to assess the currency's rise against other currencies, particularly those in Europe. The Aussie dollar remains at record levels versus the euro, where it's trading just below 70 euro cents, while it hasn't bought this many UK pence (currently about 61) in 25 years.

AMP Investor chief economist Shane Oliver believes the relative strength of Australia's resource-based economy will push the Aussie dollar, currently buying 92.9 US cents, to parity against the greenback before the year is out.

Indeed, Mr Oliver says the local dollar's recent rise is bringing it back into line with its longer-term averages. While it's traded at less than par with the US dollar since its float in 1983, Australia's dollar had been worth more than the greenback for the great bulk of the country's history, particularly during the era before the switch to a decimal currency in 1966.

''Back in 1901 the equivalent of one Australian dollar bought $US2.40 and for most of the last century the Australian dollar was above parity against the US dollar,'' Mr Oliver said, in a note to clients.

''It is likely the sub-parity period from the 1980s was the aberration for the Australian dollar and the improvement in Australia's relative fundamentals suggest it is likely the Australian dollar is going back above parity against the US dollar.''

The Aussie has risen 1.5 per cent in the past month alone against the US dollar, or 3.6 per cent since the beginning of the year, making it among the top five performers among major currencies during the period, according to Bloomberg data.

RBA outlook

Bolstering the local dollar's recent rise has been the Reserve Bank's series of five interest rate rises since October to 4.25 per cent. With the US Federal Reserve's lending rate remaining near zero, the gap between the two interest rates is the widest since 2008.

That gap may widen further, with financial markets betting on another four RBA interest rate rises over the coming year to prevent the economy expanding too fast. The unemployment rate now sits at 5.3 per cent, and may drop below 5 per cent before the end of 2010 - about half the current jobless rate in the US.

To be sure, at less than 93 US cents, the currency still has a fair way to go before parity is reached.

Even so, NAB expects the Aussie dollar to trade at parity levels in the second and third quarters of this year, while overseas banks Nomura and Standard Chartered Bank are among those predicting parity by the final quarter of 2010.

ANZ economist Amber Rabinov, though, forecasts the Australia dollar's rise will stall in the mid-90 US cent levels as worries resurface about the health of the global economic recovery.

''The continued depreciation of the euro versus the US dollar due to a lagging Euro zone recovery and sovereign credit concerns should cap gains in the Australian dollar,'' Ms Rabinov said.

Nonetheless, she said the Aussie will continue to strengthen against the euro and the pound.

Other analysts are more pessimistic, though, seeing the Australian dollar retreating over the year as investors grew skittish again about risk as troubles re-emerge in Europe, the US, and China.

''I'm more a believer that the Aussie will end the year closer to 80 US cents rather than parity,'' said Arab Bank Australia Treasury Dealer David Scutt.

''We are only an economy of 22 million people and completely reliant upon the happenings offshore, a fact that many people have forgotten since the recovery process began.''

Mr Scutt said some countries, particularly in Europe, will struggle to meet their debt repayments, sapping the global appetite for currencies deemed to be relatively risky, such as the Australian dollar.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yo Ash, you gotto have your own vision.. If your vision tells you it will be 1.6 sooner or later, then place all you bets.. Try to move along with the flow and benefit from it.

In life there is no certainty, so why not gamble your way out for a better life.

:p

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Ash, you gotto have your own vision.. If your vision tells you it will be 1.6 sooner or later, then place all you bets.. Try to move along with the flow and benefit from it.

In life there is no certainty, so why not gamble your way out for a better life.

:p

Wahahaha no worries mate, as you might know, I'm waiting for my citizenship letter soon. Get CPF out and convert to AUD, the sooner I do that, the less money I lose when it reach parity.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wahahaha no worries mate, as you might know, I'm waiting for my citizenship letter soon. Get CPF out and convert to AUD, the sooner I do that, the less money I lose when it reach parity.

Do not worry.. AUD will reach 1.6 to SGD very soon.. by then you can convert your cash over .. and invest in SG.. :smile:

Australia will have an unstoppable economy for the next 2 decades.. I make no apology on this :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do not worry.. AUD will reach 1.6 to SGD very soon.. by then you can convert your cash over .. and invest in SG.. :smile:

Australia will have an unstoppable economy for the next 2 decades.. I make no apology on this :wink:

USA wants to export to get out of recession.
Europe wants to export to get out of recession.
Japan & Korea want to export to get out of recession.

But who has money to buy all these exports.

Australia is exporting energy resources, who is NOT buying energy?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
USA wants to export to get out of recession.
Europe wants to export to get out of recession.
Japan & Korea want to export to get out of recession.

Sadly, these countries (who export out) are in direct competition with the Giant Panda..

But who has money to buy all these exports.

Australia is exporting energy resources, who is NOT buying energy?
Australia is in a position where the Panda needs us.. at top dollar deal..

There is a saying when Giant Panda produces or exports, the whole world will fall in price.. But when they import, the price will shoot up.. We are in good position mate..

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal
AUD reaching parity with USD soon?

The Canadian dollar is already in parity and at one point above parity :eek:

Canada dollar edges above U.S. dollar; highest since 2008

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100406/wl_canada_nm/canada_us_markets_forex_canada

TORONTO (Reuters) – The Canadian dollar briefly pushed above parity with the greenback on Tuesday for the first time since July 2008, but slipped back to end the day just below the one-for-one level.

Powered by rising commodity prices and an economic rebound that investors expect will soon trigger interest rate hikes, the Canadian dollar climbed as high as C$0.9988 to the U.S. dollar, or US$1.0012, after firmer economic data helped fuel investor demand for commodity-linked currencies.

The currency finished at C$1.0012 to the U.S. dollar, or 99.88 U.S. cents, up from Monday's finish at C$1.0028 to the U.S. dollar, or 99.72 U.S. cents.

The currency has risen more than 5 percent against the U.S. dollar so far this year after gaining almost 16 percent in 2009.

The currency's rise has been supported by Canada's healthy fundamentals relative to the United States and other struggling Western economies, as well as by the improving global economic outlook.

All these factors suggest the currency's strength may be more sustainable than when it last traded at par with the greenback about 20 months ago, said George Davis, chief technical strategist at RBC Capital Markets.

"The backdrop is basically pointing to a market that is looking for growth and expansion in terms of the economic cycle. That backdrop is lending itself very well to the Canadian dollar," Davis said.

"We've had, on balance, stronger than expected economic data here in Canada, especially when we look at GDP, retail sales and employment, and that has a lot of people in the market more convinced that the Bank of Canada is going to act ahead of the (U.S. Federal Reserve) in terms of raising interest rates."

CONDITIONAL RATE PLEDGE TO EXPIRE

The Bank of Canada has made a conditional pledge to hold its key interest rate at a record low of 0.25 percent until the end of June, provided inflation stays tame. But market players have begun to price in an earlier rate hike as the economy heats up after the recession.

Yields on overnight index swaps, which trade based on expectations for the Bank of Canada's key policy rate, suggest rates will have risen by at least 25 basis points by July.

The currency's march higher intensified around the release of Canada's February employment data on March 12 and bond yields rose on expectations of rate hikes, Davis said.

Canadian money market yields were slightly lower on Tuesday.

"The bond market is flat today. It really hasn't reacted to the currency," said Sheldon Dong, a fixed income analyst at TD Waterhouse Private Investment.

"The rate hike expectations have been baked into the market. Technical trends have been indicating the Canadian dollar would be hitting parity. That's already been built in. There's just no fresh news."

Canadian bonds mostly underperformed their U.S. counterparts, with the 10-year yield narrowing to 27 basis points from around 32 basis points on Monday.

Market watchers said last week's U.S. payrolls data was an added boost to an already positive economic backdrop. The report on Friday showed employers in the United States, Canada's largest trading partner, created jobs in March at the fastest rate in three years as private firms stepped up hiring.

That also followed stronger Canadian gross domestic product data for January.

Strategists will now turn their gaze to Canadian employment data for March, which is due on Friday.

"(The currency has) been heading toward parity for weeks and it was inevitable. There's no surprise," said Jon Gencher, director of foreign exchange sales at BMO Capital Markets.

"This time seems to be a more of a sustainable move. I think for the next little while, we are certainly going to hover around parity," he added.

HOW HIGH CAN IT GO?

The Canadian dollar reached parity with the greenback in 2007, for the first time since the 1970s, climbing to a modern-day high of US$1.1039 that November.

It last traded at par with the greenback on July 22, 2008, weakening as investors flocked to the safe haven of the U.S. dollar during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

But it likely won't rise as high as the November 2007 level, said Davis, who sees it peaking at US$1.03.

There were several unique factors related the currency's ascent in 2007, he added.

"There were a lot of M&A flows that were working their way through the market and that was propping up the Canadian dollar. That I think caused an overshoot. I don't think we have similar factors in place at this point in time ," Davis said.

The Canadian currency could also face several headwinds as the Fed begins raising U.S. interest rates, possibly in the last quarter of 2010 or the first quarter of next year, he added, drawing investors to the greenback.

Steve Butler, director of foreign exchange trading at Scotia Capital, said the currency's rise might not keep pace with tighter monetary policy.

"Quite often you see that, once the rate hikes start, the currency doesn't keep up with the interest rate hikes. That may be the bubble that bursts," he said, adding that he sees the currency peaking anywhere between US$1.05 and US$1.06.

"It's going to be a slow and steady grind rather than an accelerated move from these levels."

(Additional reporting by London FX desk; editing by Rob Wilson)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Despite what the trolls said, it seems our unstoppable economy is heading north !
3 Cheers for all of us ! Bloody Australia, ya such a lucky country !

------------------------------------------------------
How high will the Aussie fly?
RICHARD WEBB
April 11, 2010
With the dollar on a roll, it's a great time to go overseas. But not everyone will benefit.

THERE'S hardly been a better time to go on an overseas holiday. The Australian dollar has continued to climb since the Reserve Bank lifted interest rates last week and is now at record levels against the euro.

It is also at its highest level in 25 years against the British pound, and near a post-1983 float record against the US greenback.

Suddenly, a gondola trip in Venice is affordable, even a night out at an exclusive London restaurant (well, if you are careful with your wine selection). The taxi ride from JFK airport in New York won't kill you any more, either.

Economists will tell you that, generally speaking, the strength of a country's economy is reflected in the strength of its currency. As Australia is one of a few of the world's major economies to avoid recession in the past year or so, and was the first major economy to begin lifting interest rates as the global recovery gained momentum, it is not surprising our currency is so relatively strong.

According to Deutsche Bank FX strategist John Horner, financial markets are pricing the Aussie on an expectation the Australian cash rate will reach 4.95 per cent by year's end (that's 70 basis points higher from here - which of course is unlikely, it will be 50, 75 or 100 points in reality, but this is the way these markets work).

Interest rates are expected to be on hold in the US, UK, Europe and Japan in that time, and it is partly this growing differential that is driving the Aussie forward. ''In the near term, the Australian dollar is in a sweet spot,'' Mr Horner says. ''The global economy is generating considerable momentum, but not so much that it is causing interest rates to rise. On that basis, I think the Aussie will continue to grind higher from here.''

But he believes it will struggle to get past its record high of US94¢, and will start to slide in the second half of the year and sit at about US80¢ by year's end.

NAB chief economist Alan Oster is more bullish. He thinks many are underestimating the impact on the Australian economy of large commodity price increases that will flow through later in the year.

''We've got [the Aussie] going to parity [with the $US] by the middle of the year to the September quarter,'' he says.

''That won't worry the miners, but the manufacturers and other exporters will struggle.

''It's sometimes called the Dutch disease, where some sectors do well but others get killed off.''

That's the rub of a high currency. For every cheap overseas holiday, there's more money lost by the local tourism industry, with fewer international visitors here and more Australian holiday dollars spent overseas.

Commonwealth Bank senior economist Michael Workman says many parts of the Australian economy are suffering, which is why business confidence surveys have been relatively weak lately.

''The level the Aussie has been for the last six to nine months has been quite constrictive on parts of the economy, such as for farmers and manufacturing people - like car and car parts, which is a negative for Victoria in particular.

''They haven't got the big price increases that the miners have got to offset (the stronger Aussie) - any level over US90¢ is very poor for them.''

For consumers, Mr Workman says the high Aussie has reduced the price of imports such as consumer goods and clothing, and for businesses it has been driving the reduction of overseas debt: it is cheaper to pay it out now.

''For Australia in general though, it has a contractionary influence on the economy - and we think the Aussie is very toppy at these levels and expect it will struggle around US94¢.''

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing like the time when A$1= Sinkee 95 cents. That was sometime at the beginning of 2008. Some are saying the A$ can go up to the level of A$1= US$1.10 and if that happens A$1= S$1.64!!!! Gosh!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Better get my CPF out fast before the Sinkee $$$ becomes a banaa curency.

Indeed, that is why I started this thread. Damned if only I had my CPF money back then in 2008, I would have gained easily 10-20% from the difference by now.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, that is why I started this thread. Damned if only I had my CPF money back then in 2008, I would have gained easily 10-20% from the difference by now.

Last year when deepche asked whether he should convert SGD currency over.. I revealed to him the statistic over the last 15yrs, there were only 13.8 percentage it went below SGD.. in the end , i am correct.

<Gain is 30%>

Last year when ppl were crying-out-loud "the property market is falling.. and the world is coming to an end".. I put my balls to the test, borrowed $$$ from the bank and purchased a hse in Melbourne under 1mil.. now it is 1.4mil.. for mere 9mths.

<Gain is 45%>

10-20% is nothing.. you gain will be much more than you can imagine.. watch out for the next tips ! :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today 93.4 liao. By end of year would reach parity ah if this continues.

If you look back in history, for most of the 20th century when commodity prices were high, Aussie dollar has always been above USD.
It is only in the last 20 years where USD is higher.