• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone experienced the Tall Poppy Syndrome?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the worst thing an American friend (he has an Aussie mom) experienced is in Australia is that despite his vast experience, he is unable to get a job here. It becomes obvious after a while that the same job positions are re-advertised despite him applying and qualified to do the work.

This is classic Tall Poppy Syndrome! I personally experience this before.

This is particularly serious in certain high-positioned jobs in Perth, esp in government jobs where the directors are hopeless.

There are 3 tips to consider if ever you find yourself at the receiving end of the ‘tall poppy syndrome’.

1. Don’t stoop to their level

I think the most important thing to do is to avoid retaliation where you come out fighting and throwing negative comments back at them.

Stooping to their level and ‘serving them up a spoonful of their own medicine’ will only serve to take your attention, energy and focus away from what you SHOULD be focusing on – which is to continue the great work that you’re doing.

Action Step:
Don’t get caught up in anger, frustration or retaliation – you’re worth so much more! Rather let your light shine brightly and continue to bring your message to the world, so that you can carry on helping the people who you know you are meant to serve.

2. Realise – it’s NOT about you

It’s important to realise that their remarks have nothing to do with you and the work you are doing, but rather EVERYTHING to do with them and their inability to achieve their own successes.

It’s THEIR stuff – their own issues and lack of self-worth and/or self-belief – and has nothing to do with you!

Action Step:
Remind yourself of your mission and purpose and the people you are here to serve. Listening to the naysayers and critics will only delay you from achieving your bigger mission. Move on.

And, most important of all, is to:

3. Surround yourself with supportive people

Do you feel physically and emotionally drained after being in someone’s company where you have listened to their negative remarks? Being in the company of these naysayers and critics WILL impact your outcomes.

Are the people you associate with constantly telling you why something can’t be done, or why your plans are impossible to achieve? Perhaps that’s true for them. However are you going to let this person’s inability to reach their goals affect your ability to reach yours? I certainly hope not!

Action Step:
Surround yourself with supportive people – people who will continue to encourage you to be the best you can be and who will celebrate alongside you as you continue to move from success to success.

The important thing to remember is to hold true to who you are and the work you do; keep your eyes firmly fixed on your goals; and to build a community of like-minded people who will continue to inspire and uplift you on your journey.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been hunting for a senior manager job for the last 12 mths but in vain. Attended 2 interviews, sadly, I am not the best of the best :( KNN !

My job sucks & Australia sucks ! What a racist country !

I am struggling in Oz while my SG bro-in-law (govt scholar under 30yo) is sitting nicely as Assistant Dir in a GLC. I wana return to SG.. I wana be a MP milking the the sys ;-)

---------------------------
Knowledge is Power
Power corrupts..
So study hard to be EVIL !!

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the worst thing an American friend (he has an Aussie mom) experienced is in Australia is that despite his vast experience, he is unable to get a job here. It becomes obvious after a while that the same job positions are re-advertised despite him applying and qualified to do the work.

This is classic Tall Poppy Syndrome! I personally experience this before.

This is particularly serious in certain high-positioned jobs in Perth, esp in government jobs where the directors are hopeless.

There are 3 tips to consider if ever you find yourself at the receiving end of the ‘tall poppy syndrome’.

1. Don’t stoop to their level

I think the most important thing to do is to avoid retaliation where you come out fighting and throwing negative comments back at them.

Stooping to their level and ‘serving them up a spoonful of their own medicine’ will only serve to take your attention, energy and focus away from what you SHOULD be focusing on – which is to continue the great work that you’re doing.

Action Step:
Don’t get caught up in anger, frustration or retaliation – you’re worth so much more! Rather let your light shine brightly and continue to bring your message to the world, so that you can carry on helping the people who you know you are meant to serve.

2. Realise – it’s NOT about you

It’s important to realise that their remarks have nothing to do with you and the work you are doing, but rather EVERYTHING to do with them and their inability to achieve their own successes.

It’s THEIR stuff – their own issues and lack of self-worth and/or self-belief – and has nothing to do with you!

Action Step:
Remind yourself of your mission and purpose and the people you are here to serve. Listening to the naysayers and critics will only delay you from achieving your bigger mission. Move on.

And, most important of all, is to:

3. Surround yourself with supportive people

Do you feel physically and emotionally drained after being in someone’s company where you have listened to their negative remarks? Being in the company of these naysayers and critics WILL impact your outcomes.

Are the people you associate with constantly telling you why something can’t be done, or why your plans are impossible to achieve? Perhaps that’s true for them. However are you going to let this person’s inability to reach their goals affect your ability to reach yours? I certainly hope not!

Action Step:
Surround yourself with supportive people – people who will continue to encourage you to be the best you can be and who will celebrate alongside you as you continue to move from success to success.

The important thing to remember is to hold true to who you are and the work you do; keep your eyes firmly fixed on your goals; and to build a community of like-minded people who will continue to inspire and uplift you on your journey.

excellent advice.
i had that shit before when i was working in a govt org. applied for the architect role but was turned down by the management. in the end they hired a dumbass local who knew nuts and the management expect me to teach/train him up.
anyway, i had moved on to a better job elsewhere.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
excellent advice.
i had that shit before when i was working in a govt org. applied for the architect role but was turned down by the management. in the end they hired a dumbass local who knew nuts and the management expect me to teach/train him up.
anyway, i had moved on to a better job elsewhere.

That is the good outcome, Moving on.

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Return to Sinkieland to be FT.

I've been hunting for a senior manager job for the last 12 mths but in vain. Attended 2 interviews, sadly, I am not the best of the best :( KNN !

My job sucks & Australia sucks ! What a racist country !

I am struggling in Oz while my SG bro-in-law (govt scholar under 30yo) is sitting nicely as Assistant Dir in a GLC. I wana return to SG.. I wana be a MP milking the the sys ;-)

Knowledge is Power
Power corrupts..
So study hard to be EVIL !!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Return to Sinkieland to be FT.

I suspect Axe168 is staying in OZ because,
Singapore too racist towards FTs, unless it is angmo FTs. Special treatment and privileges that the true-blue Sinkees FT cannot enjoy.
After 40yo, no hope in Singapore already.

Am I right?

I wear a helmet.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... only Ned Kelly can understand me.

But how do you know I am 40 this year ?

I suspect Axe168 is staying in OZ because,
Singapore too racist towards FTs, unless it is angmo FTs. Special treatment and privileges that the true-blue Sinkees FT cannot enjoy.
After 40yo, no hope in Singapore already.

Am I right?

I wear a helmet.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said before, Oz is a racist country, please run ! Hopefully, other countries will appreciate us by banning our iron ore, uranium, gas, oil, gold, diamond etc.. Let our growth engine stops :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
simply pathetic

Bo bian lah, Bro.. You got a job for me?

My chickens in bris is fetching 6% yield and ROI 250%.. I am ready to move again..

Please get me a lazy job, preferably office bound MP or President with no portfolio and no responsibility :-)

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya ! Spot on !

Dude, I have cleared 6 x summons with zero demerit points but failed in 2. I challenged them to the Court, but them chicken out ! One ticket was referred to the Sherriff Office, KNN ! Those Ah Beng Sherriff threatened to cancel my rego if I failed to pay.. after 14mths of ‘ding-dong’, I decided to pay… hehe.. my fellow countrymen said I am dodgy, haiz… Perhaps they failed to understand the basic principal of “Innocent, unless proven guilty”

In Australia, you either a PREY or a PREDATOR... a bunch of lambs mentality will go no where. Happy to discuss further !

Cheers ! Have a good weekend !

with your brains? difficult lah. you are more suited to be a crook that con your fellow migrants.