• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Analysis: Huawei’s phone business would be decimated without Google’s Android

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The news from Sunday night that Google would be complying with a US government edict and suspending business with Huawei is one of the most dramatic moments in Android’s history. Huawei, China’s most prolific smartphone vendor, had started 2019 with explosive double-digit growth and was on a path to eclipse Samsung as the world’s number one phone maker by the year’s end. Without Google’s Android support, however, that’s simply not going to happen — not in 2019 or 2020 or any other date in the future.

Whether this proves to be the most consequential moment in Android’s history has yet to be determined. This could all be just a short-lived scare tactic from a Trump administration trying to demonstrate to the Chinese government its willingness to take drastic measures. Or Huawei might be left on the US blacklist indefinitely, spawning a wide variety of potential scenarios, none of which bode well for the company’s future as a smartphone vendor.

As things stand, Huawei is losing its licensing agreement with Google for the provision of Google Play Services and access to the Google Play Store on new Huawei Android devices. Existing customers won’t be affected, though without Google resuming business with Huawei, they also won’t get any further Android OS updates. (Honor, Huawei’s wholly owned subsidiary, looks to be subject to the same fate). This is devastating to Huawei’s hopes of selling any smartphones outside of China.

Huawei still has the option to use the open-source variety of Android, but Google has been gradually whittling all of the attractive components away from the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). The genuine full-fat Android experience of today — featuring Google Maps, YouTube, and, most crucially, the full ecosystem of third-party Android apps — is dependent on Google’s licensing assent. Deprived of Google’s software, Huawei would be selling featherless chickens to smartphone buyers used to having Play Store access. In Europe, even the finest hardware wouldn’t convince consumers to buy a phone without an app ecosystem. Google wields enormous market power through its Play Store, significant enough for the European Commission to conduct an antitrust investigation.

In its native China, Huawei already operates without the Play Store, owing to Google’s absence from the market. But even there, Huawei would suffer from not having a close working relationship with Google. All of its fellow Chinese rivals would get earlier access to the next version of Android while Huawei would have to wait for the AOSP code to be made available to the public. The Chinese consumer is probably the least sensitive to operating system updates and upgrades, given how WeChat has evolved to be an OS and ecosystem atop Android, but Huawei would still be at a disadvantage in one of the world’s most competitive phone markets.

More at https://tinyurI.com/y2op5764

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Haha China is fucked. This will teach them not to mess with the Ang Mohs.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Xi jinping has monopoly on rare earth minerals, the back bone of tomorrows economy. The foundation of electronic equupment. Dontch play play.

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chink is another one that have a lot of smoke and noise. End of the day nothing to show … have been talking about their own operating system for decades … wonder where was it? Still in the drawer I assume.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chink is another one that have a lot of smoke and noise. End of the day nothing to show … have been talking about their own operating system for decades … wonder where was it? Still in the drawer I assume.

Right now in China, their tv channels are broadcasting vintage anti-America propaganda during prime time. :biggrin:

"抗美援朝"

---

A good indicator of Huawei's situation in Sinkieland is that Huawei shop in Bugis Junction. Excellent human traffic, I also enjoyed playing with the demo phones displayed there. If it closes down or moves to a more modest location (lower rent), you know Huawei is fucked. It won't happen immediately though.

AF1QipNLj_1DljBlWWu3Fgo1fPFrCx6gPuY5unmy4ygy=s800

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Xi jinping has monopoly on rare earth minerals, the back bone of tomorrows economy. The foundation of electronic equupment. Dontch play play.

Shall we rally all the western power and strip China off piece by piece ? It is not to the advantage to the world whereby china is too powerful and brazen in their conduct. The World need a new leader and a different kind of leader now.

HongKanSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese will replace Android with something better and all the apps developers will jump ship and port their apps to Chinese plat form.

Android will be considered an antique 4G platform.

Huawei is the newer and better 5G platform. People will forget about 4G & jump ship to 5G!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese will replace Android with something better and all the apps developers will jump ship and port their apps to Chinese plat form.

Android will be considered an antique 4G platform.

Huawei is the newer and better 5G platform. People will forget about 4G & jump ship to 5G!

Good luck! Even Microsoft couldn't do that. :biggrin:

HongKanSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right now in China, their tv channels are broadcasting vintage anti-America propaganda during prime time. :biggrin:

"抗美援朝"

You have no fucking idea "抗美援朝" is one tremnedously remarkable susses. Especially today.

Whole objective of Mao was to fight a proxy war to block American McArthor who tried in vain to invade China via Korean Peninsular. NK is a buffer zone created successfully to block USA. McArthor was once driven to retreat into the sea when under siege and isolated from his backup.

The tremendous success greatly extended for about 70 years now, and strongly expressed by Kim Jong Nuke today to be a NUKE POWER vowing to nuke Dotard-land and declared war.

Comparatively, the other similar efforts from USA was they tired again the same thing in Vietnam. The American suffered a longer and much more painful hurt in Vietnam war and got completely driven off Vietnam. But Vietnam is today not as successful and not even a quarter as strong as NK, it is like a crippled one-leg chciken!

This is because Vietnam after driving USA off, listened to Soviet instead of China, & Soviet used Vietnam to harass China, ended up Viet Cong got whacked by big brother Deng Xiao Ping. Until today still a crippled one-leg-chicken! Viet-Gong-Gai! LOL!

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will huawei use nokia's symbian OS?

Why use crap OS?

There is Linux a totally open source OS which basically Android is STOLEN FROM LINUX.

If you know Android & Linux you can login and ROOT your phone, I did it so many times. Android & a very CUT-DOWN and slightly modified Linux.

Totally no big deal at all!

I even can do my own alternative of Android within 6 month and & I am not a very good software guy considered.

I believe Huawei ALREADY have their very own OS and better than Android, and they also took it from Linux.

Linux is king!

The only thing Google and claim protection is their own API, which is defined by them. However, ANYONE can make a layer of software API WRAPPER to translate from ANY API TO ANY API. In other words, Huawei can make wrapper to translate Android or IOS apps API to run on their OS - meaning make + Apple Android apps run on Huawei OS phones; similarly Apple can do the same, to let Android Apps run on IOS, and Google can make IOS apps run on Android.

https://www.nativescript.org/native-api-access

I just did a simple search and immediately found the above. Someone made such tools and already are selling them!

Of course there are many other ways too besides wrapper, such as a virtual machine layer (VM) or Java translate. Basically inside Android it is Java which is a Virtual Machine. All Android Apps are Java VM based, meaning they will run on any Java emulators on any CPU any platforms. I think this is why Huawei press statement said yesterday that they are not finding any problem even if Google followed Trumps orders. This short cut is also very fast and easy and NATIVE WAY to by-pass Google.

Other ways including giving app developer a conversion tool kit to convert their Android App developer source files to Huawei's OS. The conversion is very straight forward will not exceed 10 mins to run because they are all quite well documented Java standard. Fucking Android is coded in Java syntax which is why I hate it. Any Java VM will be cumbersome and low performance.

It is possible entirely to make a new Huawei OS Developer Tool that DIRECTLY OPENS UP & CONVERT any existing Android Project and within few mins (same time as when you compile / export Android APK inside Android Developer Suit. It will reuse the exact same app developers' User Interface Design & graphics & text, and produce a Huawei OS app looking and feeling identical with the originally Android App. There is not much trouble with this approach.

To make the business plan fly faster China can offer $$$ reward for Android App Developers to jump ship from Google's App Store to Huawei's app store. This will instantly work like magic. Give me $500 or $1000 per app, I will jump ship straight away. Why am I rewarded to jump ship from 4G to 5G and what am I waiting for?

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe Huawei ALREADY have their very own OS and better than Android, and they also took it from Linux.

It doesn't matter about the technical qualities of a mobile OS. If the developers aren't on board, it's dead on arrival.

Emulation is never as good as running an app natively.

To make the business plan fly faster China can offer $$$ reward for Android App Developers to jump ship from Google's App Store to Huawei's app store. This will instantly work like magic. Give me $500 or $1000 per app, I will jump ship straight away.

Microsoft tried very hard to set up an ecosystem to challenge the Apple-Android duopoly, even paying developers to port to Windows Phone OS. It didn't work.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesn't matter about the technical qualities of a mobile OS. If the developers aren't on board, it's dead on arrival.

Emulation is never as good as running an app natively.

Microsoft tried very hard to set up an ecosystem to challenge the Apple-Android duopoly, even paying developers to port to Windows Phone OS. It didn't work.

MicroSHIT is an ALL-IDIOT FAKE-TECH firm full of crooked Ah Neh Snakes.

100% gone case.

Chinese can do it. If they cannot I will go 中关村 setup my start-up firm to do it. They will buy my firm for millions. I HUAT LIKE FUCK!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MicroSHIT is an ALL-IDIOT FAKE-TECH firm full of crooked Ah Neh Snakes.

100% gone case.

Chinese can do it. If they cannot I will go 中关村 setup my start-up firm to do it. They will buy my firm for millions. I HUAT LIKE FUCK!

Go for it then. I'm all for setting up a third mobile ecosystem which rivals the Apple-Android duopoly. :biggrin:

ForFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
China will be coming out with an OS soon. And to make Trump si beh too lan.. they naming it 'OBAMA".

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All those Ah Beng shops which had stocked up on a lot of Huawei phones are going to hongkan liao.

Prices will drop a lot and there will be much fewer buyers.

Happier days at Vivocity, not too long ago. :biggrin:

vivocity-crowds-waiting-for-huawei-p30-series-smartphone.jpg