• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

An American girl, a French girl and a Singaporean girl all walked into the bar...

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they all walked in on the protagonist of our short story, who was sitting by himself in a London bar. Soon he was regaling all 3 girls with stories from his days in the Army.

Perhaps things would have gone better for him if he didn't, because...

While the American girl declared conscription was against his civil rights and the French girl was properly sympathetic, the Singaporean girl said:

"Why are you complaining? Government never pay you meh?"

And promptly declared to her traveling companions that all Singaporean men are "complain kings".

CONFESSION OF AN SPG (SARONG PARTY GUY) is one of the many short stories that can be found in Singapore Sucks! It discusses gender issues, military conscription and foreign affairs *wink-wink*. Here's a passage from the book:

"While both sexes are brought up to believe in the comfortable illusion that Singapore is really a great place where things work and will keep working if we would all do as we re told, the Singapore Man has the benefit of some real life education as he performs his National Servce. The Real Life School of Hard Knocks and Perpetually Angry NCOs tends to drag you screaming and kicking through the comfortable fog you surround yourself with."

What do you, the reader, think? Is it fair that only men are conscripted into the army or is the very idea of conscription an unfair one?

* Here is our fan page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Singapore-Sucks-The-Book/112417752183097

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you, the reader, think? Is it fair that only men are conscripted into the army or is the very idea of conscription an unfair one?

I speak only for myself, I do not believe I represent the majority.

Whether conscription is right or wrong depends on the situation/circumstances of the country. In Sg's case, at the time it was implemented, it made sense. Since then, it has become a cultural norm and is accepted. Why I say so? Because no one seems to be avoiding it ('cept Tan Wah Piow). Sure, some folks speak against it, but if they didn't go through it, it'd be some kind of a stigma - so better to do it. Myself, at the time I had to do NS, I didn't question it - because my unlces and older (male) cousins went through NS. When my time came, it was siong, but I managed to pull through even though I wasn't the athletic type in school. In fact looking back, I enjoyed my NS days: tax free beer, M-16s, raunchy songs, great camaraderie, some pretty wild parties, and a real assortment of different aquaintances.

For conscription to fight a war - I don't think it right if I were to be forced to join and then sent to a foreign country far away to shoot people whom I bear no grudge against. I think many US soldiers felt that way in Vietnam.

Cheers!

Raynall

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also found foreign girls to be more sympathetic towards NS than Singaporean girls.

I discovered that when I was in Taiwan. Army boys were treated with more respect over there.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also found foreign girls to be more sympathetic towards NS than Singaporean girls.

I discovered that when I was in Taiwan. Army boys were treated with more respect over there.

In Singapore, somehow most folk only look up to those with lots of money or very highly educated (paper-wise) people. Status is placed very high in Sg, does not matter much about humanity. Even school teachers don't get respect.

Cheers!

KoalaJack

Alfrescian
Loyal
I speak only for myself, I do not believe I represent the majority.

Whether conscription is right or wrong depends on the situation/circumstances of the country. In Sg's case, at the time it was implemented, it made sense. Since then, it has become a cultural norm and is accepted. Why I say so? Because no one seems to be avoiding it ('cept Tan Wah Piow). Sure, some folks speak against it, but if they didn't go through it, it'd be some kind of a stigma - so better to do it. Myself, at the time I had to do NS, I didn't question it - because my unlces and older (male) cousins went through NS. When my time came, it was siong, but I managed to pull through even though I wasn't the athletic type in school. In fact looking back, I enjoyed my NS days: tax free beer, M-16s, raunchy songs, great camaraderie, some pretty wild parties, and a real assortment of different aquaintances.

For conscription to fight a war - I don't think it right if I were to be forced to join and then sent to a foreign country far away to shoot people whom I bear no grudge against. I think many US soldiers felt that way in Vietnam.

Cheers!

JAck has the same sentiments abt the army. enjoyed it tho' vomit blood daily in the Guards...not literally of cos

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they all walked in on the protagonist of our short story, who was sitting by himself in a London bar. Soon he was regaling all 3 girls with stories from his days in the Army.

Perhaps things would have gone better for him if he didn't, because...

While the American girl declared conscription was against his civil rights and the French girl was properly sympathetic, the Singaporean girl said:

"Why are you complaining? Government never pay you meh?"

And promptly declared to her traveling companions that all Singaporean men are "complain kings".

CONFESSION OF AN SPG (SARONG PARTY GUY) is one of the many short stories that can be found in Singapore Sucks! It discusses gender issues, military conscription and foreign affairs *wink-wink*. Here's a passage from the book:

"While both sexes are brought up to believe in the comfortable illusion that Singapore is really a great place where things work and will keep working if we would all do as we re told, the Singapore Man has the benefit of some real life education as he performs his National Servce. The Real Life School of Hard Knocks and Perpetually Angry NCOs tends to drag you screaming and kicking through the comfortable fog you surround yourself with."

* Here is our fan page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Singapore-Sucks-The-Book/112417752183097

Mr Crew, is there an ebook version?