• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Acquired taste (food) you can find in SG

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lj091209_tulang5.jpg

Soup Tulang (Indian food)
Everytime I brings my other country friends to eat this, their faces will cringed. Red in colour, human bone look alike, I had hard time convincing them to use their hands and start rummaging the meats stucked on the bones and sucking in the bone marrows.

This dish is not popular with the ladies, neatly dress eaters or those who hates mutton smell. But it is absolutely delicious man.. Full of tender mutton meats, spicy and flavorful, dip the sauce with bread and raw cabbage, yum yum. The bone marrow is the essence of this dish, but fewer eaters will eat this.

I believe the making of this dish is the same as making mutton soup, but cook longer till the gravy thickens, add tomato paste and chilli paste, then add red colouring.

Appearance: 2/5 (bloody red thing with huge bones)
1st taste: 4/5 (delicious)
Craving: 3.5/5 (cannot eat too often, very high cholesterol)

20091219-Malacca-BuahKeluak3.JPG

Image1162.jpg

Ayam/Trotters Buak Keluak (Peranakan Food)
The so called black gold in Asian gourmet, this nut can be sold quite expensive in SG cox you cant get it yearly. The outer layer is poisonous, so you have to deep it in water for 4 days, before you crack the opening to get the black paste inside the nut.

When I 1st eat Trotters Buak Keluak dish, the smell hits straight to my brain and I have a migraine lasted for few hours. It has a very strong pungent nutty earthy smell, worse than truffles, its like biting a branch. But after a few more tries of this dish, it is one of my favorite food of all time :smile:

Trotters Buak Keluak is a Peranakan food, it consist of basic spices like shallots, langkuas, ginger, garlic, turmeric, kaffir leaves, lemon grass, candle nuts, and bellman. Then cook for long hours for the bah keluak to purge out their oil to give it that aromatic smell.

Appearance: 2/5 (totally brownish black)
1st taste: 1/5 (most probably you will hate it, but please give it a few more try)
Craving: 5/5 (very hard to find this dish, will gorge it if have)

2967077492_407d1e8541_z.jpg

Suki (Thai Food)
The 1st time I tried this dish was at GM, its a soup bowl of veggies, tang hoon and chicken meat, the soup is pinkish in colour. I tried a spoonful and it stays untouched on the table when I left. The soup taste a bit sour, chow sng kind of taste.

After a few tries, i slowly start to get used of the taste and finally discovered whats that flavors came from, its from the fermented beancurd 豆腐乳. Never expected the Thais will use it for a bowl of hearty veggie soup.

This dish is seldom on the menu, you have to order it from the waitress, locals seldom order it. You can order the dry version also.

Suki in Thailand means steamboat also… but if you order it for individual, you will get this.

Appearance: 3/5 (pinkish soup)
1st taste: 2.5/5 (not very popular with locals)
Craving: 3.5/5 (its a plain veggie soup with little meats)

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
durians would also be an acquired taste food i reckon .... at first many dont like but now i go geylang and eat i see many pinoys and ah nehs eating too.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
almaking , where is the best Tulang in singapore ? the last time my friend brought me to the market opp golden mile ..it was very nice ..but when i try to go there on my next visit to singapore i could not remember which stall ..cause too many stall selling tulang at the basement of the market . do you know which stall ?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
almaking , where is the best Tulang in singapore ? the last time my friend brought me to the market opp golden mile ..it was very nice ..but when i try to go there on my next visit to singapore i could not remember which stall ..cause too many stall selling tulang at the basement of the market . do you know which stall ?

Bro, I agree too many stalls there selling Tulang.. Very confusing at times.. My fav choice would be this Mama stall called Deen Tiga Rasa..
http://best-traditional-food.blogspot.com/
The stall quite under rated but they served very good Tulang.. Its situated just in front of the GM Hawker Ctr staircase.. if you go down the staircase, this stall will be the first that you'll see.. It was was recommended by my Malay colleague.. Even my Ang Moh boss got addicted to eating Tulang with his bare hands..:eek:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
good one = tulang soup.:p

bad one = tulan soup. :mad:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, I agree too many stalls there selling Tulang.. Very confusing at times.. My fav choice would be this Mama stall called Deen Tiga Rasa..
http://best-traditional-food.blogspot.com/
The stall quite under rated but they served very good Tulang.. Its situated just in front of the GM Hawker Ctr staircase.. if you go down the staircase, this stall will be the first that you'll see.. It was was recommended by my Malay colleague.. Even my Ang Moh boss got addicted to eating Tulang with his bare hands..:eek:

bro thankyou for your infor ..will write the address down on my notebook .

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ayam/Trotters Buak Keluak (Peranakan Food)
The so called black gold in Asian gourmet, this nut can be sold quite expensive in SG cox you cant get it yearly. The outer layer is poisonous, so you have to deep it in water for 4 days, before you crack the opening to get the black paste inside the nut.

I have only eaten Ayam Buak Keluak. A restaurant at Joo Chiat Place, Guan Hoe Choon, has this dish and it was quite good. They don't sell it during weekdays unless you order in advance.

I tried once in Malacca but don't like it. They taste differently. Not sure why.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ayam buah keluak yes .... but mostly at my friends home . They are Peranakan so it is one of their staples when they have guests for meals.

There are 3 stalls almost side by side, you can't miss it 1, the one in the middle is the oldest stall...

Anyone tried the other 2 dishes before?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Buay Keluak gravy mix with rice is heavenly :biggrin: Try not to eat at the peranakan restaurant, quite stingy on the Keluak, I kenna disappointed many times. Can try the one at Meritis Negara Hotel at Orchard, thing is the best. If not, hussle your peranakan friends mother to cook, lol

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are 3 stalls almost side by side, you can't miss it 1, the one in the middle is the oldest stall...

The three stallholders and assistants are all a ring of relatives and friends. They order their mutton and ingredients from the same supplier and use the same family recipe. There's not much rivalry and difference. Only minor difference is who's handling the wok and pot when you order.

These stalls originated from a famous stall the old Jalan Sultan (zinc roof type) hawker centre relocated to Beach Road hawker centre. The founder wanted three stalls space as he estimated his business would be very good. At that time, their tulang, mee goreng and mee kuah were reputably the best in Singapore and cheap. However, government wouldn't allow him three stalls space of course. So he roped in his brothers, cousins and friends to apply together.

Tulang is still their signature dish with little dip in standards nowadays. Their mee goreng standards have dipped more and their mee kuah standards have dipped most regrettably, but still better than most others. One thing good about their mee goreng and mee kuah is that theirs are served with mutton at no extra cost, i.e. same price as common hawker centre and coffeeshop stalls. I guess they can afford as they order mutton by bulk which smaller stalls can't afford.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Buay Keluak gravy mix with rice is heavenly :biggrin: Try not to eat at the peranakan restaurant, quite stingy on the Keluak, I kenna disappointed many times. Can try the one at Meritis Negara Hotel at Orchard, thing is the best. If not, hussle your peranakan friends mother to cook, lol

For poor folks like me, I get my fix at Bestway Building Canteen (12, Prince Edward Road) opposite MAS. There is a stall selling buah keluak and its not bad. The famous Tai Wah mince meat noodle is there also.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For poor folks like me, I get my fix at Bestway Building Canteen (12, Prince Edward Road) opposite MAS. There is a stall selling buah keluak and its not bad. The famous Tai Wah mince meat noodle is there also.
Tai Wah mince meat noodle dun have branch, the one and only is at Crawford HDB area near ICA

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about Petai, most Chinese don't like it for being smelly bean!
but it has plenty medical value, eating petai for one it helps rejuvinate your kidney,
cleansing but detox your body system!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tai Wah mince meat noodle dun have branch, the one and only is at Crawford HDB area near ICA

NB, you really want to challenge me to go down take pic for u to see. My office at MAS, I have been eating for 3 years liao....zzzz.