• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
you mean khao soi?

tumblr_mdegkxqGwB1qc315ho1_500.jpg

Chai krap pii.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
After resigning now a free man. Just feel abit lost. But my plan to move to LOS is firm.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Nice dinner at home, maid surprised us with a very traditional Chinese starter, cold braised beef 牛腱 that I thought her to cook about a year ago.

Was good really good, a pleasant surprise.

She also cooked for the first time and Isaan dish larb-mu-thod (larb fried meat ball) with a plate of raw vege

Also for the first time a nice steam sea bass with assam

I guess cos I haven't been around for a few days and will be away again tomorrow so did special for us

iamfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
After resigning now a free man. Just feel abit lost. But my plan to move to LOS is firm.

Good luck to your new life.

I took the plunge 3 years ago and left the corporate world at age younger than most. It is normal to feel a little lost, this is normal. It took me about 1 year to unwound after decades of work-life.

I think there is no rush to relocate to LOS. Take your time. Visit LOS and stay at various locations for extended period. You may even want to try other countries.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good luck to your new life.

I took the plunge 3 years ago and left the corporate world at age younger than most. It is normal to feel a little lost, this is normal. It took me about 1 year to unwound after decades of work-life.

I think there is no rush to relocate to LOS. Take your time. Visit LOS and stay at various locations for extended period. You may even want to try other countries.

Thank you bro. I appreciate your advice.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re-visited Mae Rim (CNX) Poonyang area, friend's country house. Good fengshui, on mountain slope facing below. No AC required, cool weather up in the hills. With annexe and nice terrace for BBQ (sanuk)

6A3D392B-55DE-4CEC-9663-C1912BCF26C7-882-000000CEC07DBA0D_zpsd7756af7.jpg

3A0264D7-4AEC-4E26-A7F7-3B73873299EB-882-000000CEC77ED7DD_zps26c34d12.jpg

Grandmother's new home next door. Hospitality meant 80 yr old lady laid out a mat for my free seating (no chairs) country style. And invited me to partake some glutinous rice wrapped in leaves. Strong old lady, healthy doing her gardening.

D3DDE37F-9914-4A13-9543-F3239229D414-882-000000CECCDB58B7_zps59c52f77.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Actually Jakarta's seafood is equally good as Bangkok's see here

Black pepper crab

Shells cook with fermented beans tao-jiew

Steamed Garoupa

This one extra la

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Pii Joe do you go for annual blood test to check your health?

Yes I do, surely it not good news.

I am curious. How much does it cost to employ a maid in Thailand?

It is almost impossible to get a Thai maid now a days. Thais prefers to work in a factory where there are friends and the pay from factories are not too bad now a days, with overtime a factory worker could be getting at least 7,000 baht but unlike China factory workers Thais are not entitled to meals and accommodation so these will have come out of their own pocket which could be half of what they make a month. For live-in maids accommodation and meals are obviously covered by employers but toiletries may not.

Anyway as I said it is almost impossible to get a Thai as maid and of course Thais will never pay beyond 8,000 baht for a maid I am sure. The alternative and most common practice is to get a Myanmar maid which could easily cost only 5,000 baht (heard some stingy fella paid only 4,000 baht). Of course there have been many horror stories about these maids from Myanmar but then I alway believe its a matter of how well an employer treats the maid.

I am one of those very rare ones who has a Thai maid, lucky me. Been with me for 4 years just started her 5th year in May and because she does much more stuff than an ordinary maid obviously her annual package and benefits are equivalent to a mid office executive.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am counting down to Sep 2014 for my study in Chiangmai U. Wish me good luck my senior brothers or Pi here firmly established in Thailand.
I am just a dek or nong when it comes to settling down in Thailand. But I will definitely come back to Sinkieland to vote in GE2016.

All the best pii ypres!

I am planning a September school vacation trip to Chiang Mai with daughter and mother in tow..haha... 1st real vacation for me in 5 years since my daughter was born!

Was planning to stay 4-5 nights checking out the following places
1. Night Bazaar
2. Talat Tonlamyai
3. Wat Phan Tao
4. Tribal Museum
5. Phra Tamnak Bhu Bhing
6. etc as per list below...
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/chiang-mai-province/chiang-mai/sights

Any other recommendations on other "must-see" things and which 3+ star hotel would be central and value-for-money?

Appreciate any pointers from bros :-)

khorp khun khrap

bpai tiaw Chiang mai!

Last edited:

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the best pii ypres!

I am planning a September school vacation trip to Chiang Mai with daughter and mother in tow..haha... 1st real vacation for me in 5 years since my daughter was born!

1. Night Bazaar
2. Talat Tonlamyai
3. Wat Phan Tao
4. Tribal Museum
5. Phra Tamnak Bhu Bhing

Any other recommendations on other "must-see" things and which 3+ star hotel would be central and value-for-money?

khorp khun khrap

bpai tiaw Chiang mai![/QUOTE

Pii you can visit two places which I naenam/recommend. Suay jang lei. Sanook jang lei.
Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon. Hotel you can look at Internet. Chok dii na krap.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am one of those very rare ones who has a Thai maid, lucky me. Been with me for 4 years just started her 5th year in May and because she does much more stuff than an ordinary maid obviously her annual package and benefits are equivalent to a mid office executive.

If I recall in one of your postings your maid cried with happiness because she is making the equivalent to what a white collar thai makes & she sleeps with a gun:biggrin:

Last edited:

iamfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the best pii ypres!

1. Night Bazaar
2. Talat Tonlamyai
3. Wat Phan Tao
4. Tribal Museum
5. Phra Tamnak Bhu Bhing

khorp khun khrap

bpai tiaw Chiang mai!

I just love CM!

Sept may not be the best time to visit CM as it is still the raining season there. Best to travel there in Nov to Jan when it is cool and dry.

I think the best places to visit are outside of CM city; eg watching sunrise on the mountain top like Pu Chee fa, visiting and riding the elephants, visiting Mae Sai (the border town to Myanmar), traveling on Mae Hong San loop and visiting the villages along the way including the 2 division of KTM who stayed on after the war etc etc.

Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon, as suggested by ypres, are also great places to visit as well. 4-5 nights is probably too short! Enjoy your trip there.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
other recommendations on other "must-see" things and which 3+ star hotel would be central and value for money?
Good choice, destination.

Both sat/sun markets (aka walking street) are to-do, and yes Talat Warorot has all local foods and fruits (even free packing service for airport takeaways). Chiangmai night zoo, with white tiger if you have time.

You might want to choose Niman area (near CMU, plenty cafes, restaurants on main stretch) over old city.

Niman Mai Design got low season promo for basic room bht1316, new 1-2 years old and 5mins walk from Niman.

http://www.nimmanmaihotel.com/

Enjoy

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I do, surely it not good news.

It is almost impossible to get a Thai maid now a days. Thais prefers to work in a factory where there are friends and the pay from factories are not too bad now a days, with overtime a factory worker could be getting at least 7,000 baht but unlike China factory workers Thais are not entitled to meals and accommodation so these will have come out of their own pocket which could be half of what they make a month. For live-in maids accommodation and meals are obviously covered by employers but toiletries may not.

Anyway as I said it is almost impossible to get a Thai as maid and of course Thais will never pay beyond 8,000 baht for a maid I am sure. The alternative and most common practice is to get a Myanmar maid which could easily cost only 5,000 baht (heard some stingy fella paid only 4,000 baht). Of course there have been many horror stories about these maids from Myanmar but then I alway believe its a matter of how well an employer treats the maid.

Thank you pii.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good choice, destination.

Both sat/sun markets (aka walking street) are to-do, and yes Talat Warorot has all local foods and fruits (even free packing service for airport takeaways). Chiangmai night zoo, with white tiger if you have time.

You might want to choose Niman area (near CMU, plenty cafes, restaurants on main stretch) over old city.

Niman Mai Design got low season promo for basic room bht1316, new 1-2 years old and 5mins walk from Niman.

http://www.nimmanmaihotel.com/

Enjoy
Yes I read that night safari is bigger and more exciting than Singapore. You may consider Tiger Kingdom and Karen tribal village. If adequate timing, can consider border run and visit Golden Triangle. Laos is just a few hours away.