• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
TG's Hong Kong lounge is probably their best outside Bangkok. Not just the food variety but also the comfort and nice design

I passed by HKG a couple of weeks ago as well. Next time, perhaps you should visit the others. UA Club is next door. SQ lounge, which is not bad, is on the other side but closed recently for a makeover.

IMG_0958_zpscf6fbc18.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I passed by HKG a couple of weeks ago as well. Next time, perhaps you should visit the others. UA Club is next door. SQ lounge, which is not bad, is on the other side but closed recently for a makeover.

I fly only TG so cannot visit the others la

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
duck stampede!!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hxlg5unYTyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if it's possible for a tourist to actually get to his destination without paying extra you know just paying what the meter states today.

If you are a tourist to thailand you would know that almost 90% of the time if you get a taxi from the airport they will charge you a certain fare usually higher than what the meter will give.

I don't think I recall ever being egregiously overcharged from the airport.

If you take the taxi from the official taxi rank, they have to use the meter. If they don't then get out. If the meter is already running before you start journey, get out.
I don't take a taxi from the taxi rank but instead, from the departures floor - I save 50B - but I kind of think you'd almost have to a) be a frequent visitor to Bangkok and b) know some rudimentary Thai.

Of course, you always have the risk of a rigged meter but nothing much you can do about that. If you look at the bottom right (I think), it will show the distance in km so you know roughly if it is running hot. The casual tourist also won't know how much roughly will a fare be or even rough distances so this info might not help much.

Finally maybe use GrabTaxi? I've used this a couple of times and although you pay a little more (20B call fee or something like that), the drivers have been very honest in my experience.

I've been lucky perhaps but good luck to all.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think I recall ever being egregiously overcharged from the airport.

If you take the taxi from the official taxi rank, they have to use the meter. If they don't then get out. If the meter is already running before you start journey, get out.
I don't take a taxi from the taxi rank but instead, from the departures floor - I save 50B - but I kind of think you'd almost have to a) be a frequent visitor to Bangkok and b) know some rudimentary Thai.

Of course, you always have the risk of a rigged meter but nothing much you can do about that. If you look at the bottom right (I think), it will show the distance in km so you know roughly if it is running hot. The casual tourist also won't know how much roughly will a fare be or even rough distances so this info might not help much.

Finally maybe use GrabTaxi? I've used this a couple of times and although you pay a little more (20B call fee or something like that), the drivers have been very honest in my experience.

I've been lucky perhaps but good luck to all.

They don't allows taxis to wait at the departures on the 3rd floor anymore. The turnstils also ensure ppl cannot come out from the airport to get taxis. I suppose one way is to somehow jump over the turnstills carry your luggage over it and then hopefully get a cab that just dropped a passenger. Mind you there are soldiers/police that make sure no taxi is waiting am not sure if they will stop ppl from jumping over.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My honest take on Bkk cabbies, is that they are generally an ok lot. Sure, there are inevitably some black sheep, who hustle you.. especially the leeches hanging about hotels and Patpong lot. I just walk a bit out into pak soi (main road) to hail one. Good thing too is that many cabbies line up outside night spots, without us back home trying to catch the missing lot.

In swampy, there the few who try a fixed rate ..but easily overcome. So both roti and jah are correct. The departures are blocked now. So would be interesting to see how the new pickups are allowed.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My honest take on Bkk cabbies, is that they are generally an ok lot. Sure, there are inevitably some black sheep, who hustle you.. especially the leeches hanging about hotels and Patpong lot. I just walk a bit out into pak soi (main road) to hail one. Good thing too is that many cabbies line up outside night spots, without us back home trying to catch the missing lot.

In swampy, there the few who try a fixed rate ..but easily overcome. So both roti and jah are correct. The departures are blocked now. So would be interesting to see how the new pickups are allowed.

For those with not so much luggage, can consider taking airport express bus.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah you took these photos? Nice.

Jah, great photography! Especially the orange and blue mix skyline in the sunset. Surreal sia!

i Wish it was me but its not. This guyis using a dslr canon eos model I forgot the exact model number. Almost all of his pictures look good whethe its street shots, ppl on bikes or scenic shots like the ones above. Imagine the timing he needs to get right to capture the lightning. He's clearly an expert at photo taking.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Laksa flavour is the best there is one more gravy flavor I forgot the name and also chilli crab flavour which is the worst. The laksa tastes authentic and the noodles are thick and good tasting unlike the stringy Maggie mee. Add in hard boiled eggs and its very good.