• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always thought it's a sport? No?

Since young I've been having this thought that each throw of the ball is like throwing money away, I stay away from this. It's just a stupid thinking I guess.

I did not believe in that "sport", and have never spent a $ on it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pii chon

Thanks.. Will also look out for Se-Ed bookshop. BigC is a supermarket chain?

Khorp Khun khrap

FYI, opposite Central World Mall is probably one of the largest Big C in LOS. The building is named Big C. Big C occupies 3 floors. It is like Giant & NTUC selling groceries, household items, electronics, etc.
At the top of this building is a large food court plus other restaurants like MacDonalds, etc.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Since young I've been having this thought that each throw of the ball is like throwing money away, I stay away from this. It's just a stupid thinking I guess.

I did not believe in that "sport", and have never spent a $ on it.

I agree bowling is not a sport..........at most a recreation hobby. Now it's part of the school's CCA. Kids really have it good nowadays.
I enjoy bowling and last time the image wasn't so good and faced family objection.......

back to thai bowling.......back then the bowling alleys in LOS particularly in pattaya comes with score keepers (always a pretty lady).....their job is to keep the score for you........one assigned to every lane...........chat her up got chemistry.......you can also score with her.
i remembered staying in Grace hotel along nana.....simply because the hotel had a bowling alley.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If the player good, he can actually make money out of it. Most bowling centres in spore have "resident" bookies that allow bowlers to place bets on their own game. Even for non betting bowlers, they can form teams to join the league organised by the individual bowling centres and the price money not bad.

Btw, bookies can also be found in bowling centres inside safra and spans or watever name the polis named their club.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
FYI, opposite Central World Mall is probably one of the largest Big C in LOS. The building is named Big C. Big C occupies 3 floors. It is like Giant & NTUC selling groceries, household items, electronics, etc.
At the top of this building is a large food court plus other restaurants like MacDonalds, etc.

Big C bought over all the French Carrefour in Thailand and name them Big C Extra

bigcextra_logo.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pii chon

Thanks.. Will also look out for Se-Ed bookshop. BigC is a supermarket chain?

Khorp Khun khrap
Bro Panzer. No problem. Here's a pic of SE-ED bookshop. They have the largest collection of language books. SE-ED is for the locals but they do have lots of language books.

Here is the logo of SE-ED taken this morning.

SE-ED bookshop

usually, BigC will have some security for motorcycles. When shoppers parked their bikes in BigC, you will receive a card. You need to surrender the card when you exit the bike parking area. This is taken at around 9 am.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To bros chon, joe or anyone else who might have businesses in Thailand and vested interests in singapore and might use bank transfers from say Thailand to Sg so there will be currency conversion issues from baht to sgd or vice versa do you know of ways to get the best conversion rate? Thai ATMs or siam bank ATM only allows 20k baht withdrawal max for 1 single withdrawal didn't attempt a 2nd one.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To bros chon, joe or anyone else who might have businesses in Thailand and vested interests in singapore and might use bank transfers from say Thailand to Sg so there will be currency conversion issues from baht to sgd or vice versa do you know of ways to get the best conversion rate? Thai ATMs or siam bank ATM only allows 20k baht withdrawal max for 1 single withdrawal didn't attempt a 2nd one.

The daily limit is set by you with the bank (local thai or foreign banks ATM cards).
You just need to make a few withdrawals.
Using foreign bank atm cards there is a 150 baht charge.
Transferring money to Thailand IMHO use remittance services direct to thai bank account or western union.
Hassle free and good enough rates.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sunset time again

[video=youtube;XpR04b7qXIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpR04b7qXIw[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remembered staying in Grace hotel along nana.....simply because the hotel had a bowling alley.
Must be a long while ago, isn't it now more arab and ah neh stretch with usual LBs layabouts? :p

Bowling is a recreational thing, and used to haunt the likes of Jackies in Orchard, Katong. Sleaguepunter's right, betting's part and parcel of bowling. Even for non-bowlers, can do the odd even bets on many lanes same time. 8/9 draw kind of thing.

Ja, used to pop by couple bowling alleys in Bangers. Not quite used to night bowling, with laminated pins? Did Esplanade (Ratchada), Ekkamai Major. And thai pop music to go

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Must be a long while ago, isn't it now more arab and ah neh stretch with usual LBs layabouts? :p

Bowling is a recreational thing, and used to haunt the likes of Jackies in Orchard, Katong. Sleaguepunter's right, betting's part and parcel of bowling. Even for non-bowlers, can do the odd even bets on many lanes same time. 8/9 draw kind of thing.

Ja, used to pop by couple bowling alleys in Bangers. Not quite used to night bowling, with laminated pins? Did Esplanade (Ratchada), Ekkamai Major. And thai pop music to go
Yes, some years back went back to Grace to revisit old times........place is a dump now....entire surrounding area machiam al qaeda base camp....overrun with arabs......felt uneasy being there...........but the hotel 2 bowling lanes still there.

Am surprised now still got people betting on bowling here.....used to be in the thick of the action....betting on anything from pin counts to color/half color (strikes/spares)....last time i bowled in BKK was in Secon Square.......tried night bowling once.....surreal experience machiam being in a disco.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The daily limit is set by you with the bank (local thai or foreign banks ATM cards).
Transferring money to Thailand IMHO use remittance services direct to thai bank account or western union.
jah, dont use sg atm card. open a bank account if you are regular here. all my 3 bank daily atm limit is 100k. to withdraw 100k, need to do 5 times. i do this very often previously because i don't have a payroll softwate in the past. now my accountant just do online transfer.

regarding tt, i will pm you the sg company that do remittance but you need to be there personally to open an account. morning transfer, 2 pm los time xan received same day. you need to provide both your sg and thai bank details

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nw, think some banks just increase thw charge to thb 175. was 150 for a long time.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nw, think some banks just increase thw charge to thb 175. was 150 for a long time.

Heard from expats that there is one bank AEON (malaysian bank) that have no charge.......but i never seen their ATMs before even.
Also was told if using UOB (sg) ATM cards withdraw from UOB ATMs also no charge...........but i never try before.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard from expats that there is one bank AEON (malaysian bank) that have no charge.......but i never seen their ATMs before even.
Also was told if using UOB (sg) ATM cards withdraw from UOB ATMs also no charge...........but i never try before.
last time no extra charge. now all charge. uob also charge even if using uob card. think aeon is not a full bank. more like finance/credit company.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Seafood at Jimbaran tonight

null-1-1.jpg

null-130.jpg

null-2-1.jpg

null-4-1.jpg

null-3-1.jpg

total = S$61.00 with two coconuts

null-131.jpg

Now back to some good old Chilean Cab Sav Reserva