• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ElfZRgmUcAAIsoQ.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Coyote dancers bring joy to a funeral in Suphanburi
National
Oct 30. 2020
800_fa787499ce15862.jpg

By The Nation

A funeral in Suphanburi province turned into a joyous affair on Thursday when the dead man’s wish for a performance by Coyote dancers came true.
ADVERTISEMENT

Road accident victim Kritsana Wongkasem’s friends said he loved hanging out with women, especially sexy dancers, and had once told them that he would like to have them dancing at his funeral.

The victim’s mother said she was grateful her son had friends who would do anything for his happiness.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Coyote dancers bring joy to a funeral in Suphanburi
National
Oct 30. 2020
800_fa787499ce15862.jpg

By The Nation

A funeral in Suphanburi province turned into a joyous affair on Thursday when the dead man’s wish for a performance by Coyote dancers came true.
ADVERTISEMENT

Road accident victim Kritsana Wongkasem’s friends said he loved hanging out with women, especially sexy dancers, and had once told them that he would like to have them dancing at his funeral.

The victim’s mother said she was grateful her son had friends who would do anything for his happiness.

Pii @yinyang are you hinting?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Protesting Thai students boycott royal graduation day
Of those students planning to attend the ceremonies, some said family pressure had outweighed politics.

Of those students planning to attend the ceremonies, some said family pressure had outweighed politics.PHOTO: EPA-EFE

• Reuters PUBLISHED
    20 MIN AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTER

BANGKOK (REUTERS) - Some students sympathetic to Thai protesters said on Friday (Oct 30) that they were boycotting graduation ceremonies led by King Maha Vajiralongkorn in a show of anger at the monarchy amid growing calls to reform it.

The ceremonies, at which the monarch personally hands out degrees, are a rite of passage for graduates and their families, with photographs of the moment displayed with pride in many Thai homes.
But protests since mid-July have brought open criticism of the monarchy and calls to curb its power, defying a longstanding taboo and lese majeste laws that set a jail term of up to 15 years for criticism of the King or his family.

Mr Suppanat Kingkaew, 23, said he was boycotting the ceremonies being held on Friday and Saturday at Thammasat University, long viewed as a hotbed of radicalism and scene of a massacre of pro-democracy protesters by royalist state forces in 1976.
"Whatever it takes so that the hall is left with the smallest number of people," he told Reuters. "This is to send an indirect message that some of us are unhappy with the monarchy and we want change." The university did not respond to a request for comment.
The Palace did not comment, as it has not done since protests began in mid-July.

Protests initially called for a new Constitution and the resignation of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, a former junta leader, but then demands evolved to include reducing the monarchy's power.
It was unclear how many Thammasat students would follow the boycott.
Mr Papangkorn Asavapanichakul, 24, said he would attend.
"I want the photograph. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event," he said.

Focused on Thai King, protesters vow to persist even if PM Prayut quits
Thailand cracks down on protesters: A timeline of events

Degree ceremonies presided over by the king began before the end of absolute monarchy in 1932, at a time the palace sought to strengthen its relationship with a growing middle class.
They gained greater importance under the King's late father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who spent decades working to strengthen the prestige of the monarchy - which according to the Constitution must be revered.
Protesters say the King's powers should be reduced and changes that gave him personal control of some army units and the palace fortune should be reversed. They also want the Prime Minister removed, accusing him of foul play in 2019 elections - an accusation he denies.
Of those students planning to attend the ceremonies, some said family pressure had outweighed politics.
"My mother asked me to come," said one 24-year-old student who gave his name only as Japan. "I didn't really want to join it, honestly."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Students stand by the iconic sign of the university's unofficial motto.

THAMMASAT GRADS TO DITCH COMMENCEMENT AMID CALLS OF REFORMS
By
Tappanai Boonbandit, Staff Reporter
-
October 30, 2020 4:30 pm
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/10/30/thammasat-grads-to-ditch-commencement-amid-calls-of-reforms/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet
lg.php

BANGKOK — Peter was not sure whether to take the once-in-a-lifetime chance to attend his commencement ceremony, but when he heard of the police attacking unarmed protesters on Oct. 16, he could not take it anymore.
The 23-year-old graduate of the College of Innovation, Thammasat University is one of many who have decided against attending the ceremony, in which Their Majesties the King and Queen are set to preside over this Friday and Saturday.
The ceremony, where degrees will be conferred on graduates, has long been considered the pinnacle of life achievement for many Thais, but calls for a boycott have grown as protests demanding reform are gripping the kingdom.
“I no longer see the value of it,” Peter, who asked to be identified only by his nickname, said.

“At first, I wanted to do it for my parents who paid for my education, but after I learned about the police crackdown on demonstrators on Oct. 16, I was able to make up my mind. Everyone knows what’s going on and I believe this will send a signal to the regime.”
Graduates pose for photos during a rehearsal day on Oct. 23, 2020.

Graduates pose for photos during a rehearsal day on Oct. 23, 2020.

For months, pro-democracy protesters have taken to streets to call for PM Prayut Chan-o-cha to resign, as well as for reforms to the country’s sacrosanct institution. The protests took a violent turn when police dispersed the crowd occupying Pathumwan Intersection on Oct. 16.
Riot police used high pressure water cannons on the protesters, many of them students, the water laced with chemical irritants. Police insisted the chemicals were harmless, despite eyewitnesses reporting a burning sensation on their skin and eyes.
But rather than discouraging the demonstrators, more people turned out in the following rallies. Many recent graduates like Peter were also galvanized by the recent developments and decided to take a defiant stand against the establishment.
“I wasn’t at the protest that day, but my boyfriend was there,” Peter said. “He called me and his voice was quivering with fear. I was shocked when he told me that water cannons were used against the protesters.”
“I don’t understand why they have to be brutal, many of them are still underaged. I made the decision not to attend the ceremony right away.”
A total of 9,625 graduates are eligible to attend this year’s ceremony, though less than half of them showed up at the dress rehearsal held last week.
The author of this article was attending the event and witnessed graduates who were seated on the second floor of the auditorium being moved downstairs to fill up vacant seats.
Graduates take part in a dress rehearsal inside the Thammasat University Auditorium on Oct. 24, 2020.

Graduates take part in a dress rehearsal inside the Thammasat University Auditorium on Oct. 24, 2020.

Speaking to Isra news agency, Thammasat vice rector Chalie Charoenlarpnopparut attributed the low attendance to the ongoing protests, along with other reasons.
“It may be related to the current political situation,” Chalie was quoted as saying. “There’s a campaign against the ceremony. Some people may find it inconvenient to take coronavirus tests prior to attending the ceremony, while others may not be available due to a short notice given by the university.”
The ceremony was originally planned for April, when the domestic coronavirus outbreak reached its height, before it was postponed to October – 14 months after the final semester ended.
Media reports quote Thammasat University officials as saying that only 54 percent of the students due for the commencement have registered for the ceremony itself this year.
Free Pundits
Although it is not uncommon for graduates to skip the commencement ceremony since it is entirely voluntary, a campaign was launched earlier this month by a group of Thammasat graduates and current students to boycott what they described as a “superfluous and onerous event.”
It soon went viral.
Calling themselves “Thammasat Graduates of the People” after the People’s Party 2020 activist group which is leading the ongoing pro-democracy protests, one of its leaders said the group aims to bring back the spotlight of the big day to the graduates while supporting the demands for monarchy reform.
“We’re not focusing on the monarch,” Dao, a third-year sociology student, said. “We’re focusing on the graduates themselves. It’s their day and they’re not supposed to wait for hours or act solemnly for someone.”
Dao added, “It’s undemocratic and will only reinforce the hegemonic position of the monarchy even further. Everyone should be equal.”
During the rehearsal on the weekend of Oct. 24 and Oct. 26, the group erected life-size cutouts of key monarchy critics such as Somsak Jeamteerasakul and Pavin Chachavalpongpun, where graduates were invited to take photos and receive a mock degree from them.
On stage, speakers also discussed key points of monarchy reform before the hordes of well-wishers who were busy snapping selfies with the graduates.
Members of the Thammasat Graduates of the People speak to the crowd during a rehearsal day on Oct. 23, 2020.

Members of the Thammasat Graduates of the People speak to the crowd during a rehearsal day on Oct. 23, 2020.

While it is not surprising to see the campaign being launched at Thammasat University, which has often been at the forefront of the pro-democracy movement in Thai history, Dao said her opening move has now spread to other universities.
Such an open criticism of the highly revered institution, let alone a call to ban the ceremony presided over by the monarch, is unimaginable in the past. But as protesters have been pushing bold demands for reform, Dao said it is time to bring up the underground movement onto the surface.
“Calls to boycott the ceremony have been floating around over the past years, but they were never made publicly,” Dao said. “We were inspired by the ongoing protests. They made us realize that we, the people, are actually the most important.”
The group also teased that a “Big Surprise” awaits at the final day of the commencement ceremony on Saturday. Dao was tight-lipped about what will happen, though she said it will unfold at 5pm, when Their Majesties are expected to arrive at the university.
Too Rigid
Proud, a graduate of the Faculty of Political Science, was delighted by the movement, even though she does not believe that she is a ‘graduate of the people.’
“It’s good for them to come out and stand by those who don’t want to attend the ceremony,” Proud said. “I understand that they’re trying to relate to the ongoing demonstrations. It’s not all about the establishment, but the day is meant to prove to society that success is individual and not to be handed down by someone.”
Having begun her career for more than a year already, Proud decided not to attend the commencement because she no longer felt enthused about the graduation.
A Thammasat graduate kowtows before the cutout of Somsak Jeamteerasakul during the graduation ceremony at Thammasat University on Oct. 23, 2020.

A Thammasat graduate kowtows before the cutout of Somsak Jeamteerasakul during the graduation ceremony at Thammasat University on Oct. 23, 2020.

She also found the ceremony, in which attendees have to conform to a strict dress code from head to toe, to be oppressive.
“I don’t consider myself a fresh graduate,” Proud said. “I feel that the ceremony is redundant. I don’t want to attach my success to the university or the establishment. I want my graduation to be a chance where I celebrate with my friends and family rather than giving in to nonsense rules.”
For graduates like Proud, the graduation ceremony would simply be a day for them to take photos with their friends and family in academic gown. The diploma will be given to them by the university at a later date.
Lifetime Experience
Another political science graduate, Jena, said she felt obligated to her parents’ wishes to see the degree being conferred on her from the hand of His Majesty the King.
“My parents kept telling me that it’s a once in a lifetime experience,” Jena said. “Although they did not threaten to do anything if I decided to skip the ceremony, they begged me to attend. I understand how my parents perceive the value of the prestigious ceremony.”
Apart from her political stance against the establishment, Jena, who is a frequent protest-goer, felt that the expense of attending the ceremony was blown out of proportion.
“The dress code is painstakingly scrupulous,” Jena said. “I have to buy a new skirt for 300 baht, a new pair of shoes for 1,000 baht, and pay another 1,000 baht for hair dyeing to make sure that they will let me in.
“All this comes on top of the makeup fee for 2,500 baht and photographer hire for 4,000 baht, which are standard expenses for almost every graduate now.”

An economics graduate, Pon, was also compelled by his parents to attend the ceremony, even though he felt it was a waste of time.
“My parents are salim. They said it’s non-negotiable,” Pon said, using a derogatory term referring to pro-establishment supporters. “I don’t want to sit there for half a day and follow the ridiculous dress code, in which shoes must have no laces and even a banknote is not allowed to be brought in.”
He added, “I only do this because I don’t want to let them down.”
On the other hand, some parents are against the ceremony.
Political science graduate Book broke his parents’ request to skip the ceremony and decided to take part in order to experience the rare occasion where he gets to meet Their Majesties in person.
“My parents said it is a pointless ceremony,” Book said. “They don’t want to get up early and wait for me. However, I want to see it with my own eyes, especially during the current political situation where there are calls to reform the monarchy and some groups are teasing for a big surprise.”
“It must be a once in a lifetime experience for sure.”

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/In...=1&pub_date=20201030184500&seq_num=7&si=44594

Thailand king's visa comes under scrutiny of German Greens
Student inquisition collides with Berlin's official ambivalence over royal guest

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F3%2F30293314-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-160399047320201030%20bundestag%20RTX85TKP.JPG

Germany's parliament, the Bundestag, is preoccupied with the COVID-19 crisis -- but also mulling one of the longest visits of an uninvited head of state in history. © Reuters
JENS KASTNER, Contributing writer October 30, 2020 15:00 JST

HAMBURG, Germany -- A letter submitted by Thai pro-democracy protesters to the German Embassy in Bangkok on Oct. 26 that requested the German government disclose King Maha Vajiralongkorn's arrival and departure records has raised difficult questions for the Berlin government.

The Thai king has almost permanently resided in Germany since he acceded to the Thai throne in 2016. The students have been attempting to determine whether the king was involved in Thai affairs of state while living on German soil -- in violation of the law. The issue has also been raised in the German parliament, and the government's hands-off stance questioned.

Margarete Bause, human rights spokesperson for the Greens, told Nikkei Asia that her party is preparing a parliamentary request for disclosure of the king's comings and goings in Germany, and whether his entourage has included Thai security officials.

"The king has a private visa, not a state visa, and if proven to have conducted state business, the visa should be withdrawn," said Bause. "He would then be free to apply for a new visa, which should have explicit stipulations that he must not engage in Thailand's political business while staying in Germany."

The king's immigration records may also be of interest to local tax authorities. In the open letter, the students have asked if the king owes more than 2.7 billion euros ($3.2 billion) under German inheritance laws. The number is based on 10 billion euros supposedly bequeathed by his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died in 2016.

Since his accession, King Vajiralongkorn has spent most of his time in the southeast German state of Bavaria, attracting considerable adverse publicity for, among other things, an alleged harem, breaching local COVID-19 regulations, and touch-and-go maneuvers in his personal jet at a small downtown Hamburg airport.

Although the Greens party is the smallest in the Bundestag, the German parliament, its members are riding high in public opinion polls. The party looks set to become a coalition partner with the Christian Democratic Union in elections next year. In Germany, coalition partners are traditionally given the foreign ministry.

Bause acknowledged that an absence of precedence makes it difficult for Germany's foreign ministry to strike a balance between upholding the rule of law and avoiding a serious diplomatic incident involving affront to a foreign head of state.

Wolfram Schaffar, an expert on Thailand at the University of Tuebingen, told Nikkei that a diplomatic spat between Germany and Turkey in 2017 does offer a precedent of sorts. After politicians loyal to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan campaigned among Turkish communities in Germany, the constitutional court ruled that foreign heads of state and government officials do not have any automatic right to enter the country and conduct official business.

"The brouhaha back then led to Erdogan canceling his planned Germany visit," said Schaffar.

"The inheritance tax issue is similarly tricky, and needs to be clarified given that it is in fact not possible for the German side to establish whether the money is owned by him or the Thai state," Schaffar said.

Schaffar recalled that this problem arose in 2011 when a Boeing 737 believed to belong to Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, as the king was titled then, was impounded by a German court during a long-running commercial dispute between a German construction company and Thai authorities. According to Schaffar, a 38-million-euro ($54.3 million) surety was paid quickly by the crown prince to avoid any further investigation into his personal property.

Heiko Maas, the German foreign minister, has said in parliament that the king's activities are "permanently" under review, and if anything was deemed illegal, there would be "immediate" consequences.

This apparent bullishness might have weakened. Reuters reported on a briefing by the Bundestag's foreign affairs committee on Oct. 29 the German government view that the king is permitted to make occasional decisions on German soil providing he does not continuously conduct affairs of state from there.

"The German government has taken the view that it is not yet of the opinion that the Thai king has continuously conducted business," a member of the Bundestag's foreign affairs committee told Reuters. The unidentified source also told the news agency that the king "has a visa that allows him to stay in Germany for several years as a private person and [he] also enjoys diplomatic immunity as a head of state."

Felix Heiduk, a senior associate at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs, told Nikkei that even though the incendiary letter sent by the young Thai pro-democracy protesters carries no legal weight in Germany, the negative exposure has created considerable informal pressure.

"At the end of the day, the German government's position will depend on developments in Thailand," said Heiduk. "Any violent crackdown on the pro-democracy protests by monarchist forces will certainly increase enormously the pressure to act."

Heiduk said the issue goes well beyond the king's almost constant presence in Germany. Negotiation of a European Union-Thailand free trade agreement was suspended in 2014 after the military toppled an elected government, but was resumed after Thailand's general elections last year. "Germany is currently holding the presidency of the EU Council, and is thus in a key position," Heiduk said.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Tu...=1&pub_date=20201102120000&seq_num=2&si=44594

Thailand's king keeps high public profile during extended stay
Three protest leaders released by court but hurt in botched re-arrest attempt

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F3%2F0%2F8%2F2%2F30332803-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-160414161420201031%20thammasat%20king%20and%20queen%20AP_20305368318520.jpg

King Maha Vajiralongkorn and Queen Suthida arrive for a graduation ceremony at Thammasat University in Bangkok on Oct. 31 that many students opted not to attend. © AP

APORNRATH PHOONPHONGPHIPHAT, Nikkei staff writerOctober 31, 2020 21:41 JSTUpdated on November 1, 2020 00:45 JST

BANGKOK -- King Maha Vajiralongkorn has been unusually visible in public during his longest stay in Thailand since his accession to the throne in 2016, despite major youth-led protests in recent weeks demanding reform of the monarchy.

The king who spends most of his time in Germany is now expected to stay in the kingdom until the end of December, sources say.

On Saturday evening, the king finished presiding over a two-day graduation ceremony at Thammasat University, one of the kingdom's most prestigious universities and epicenter of the pro-democracy movement.

The protest organizers announced that there would be an online protest at 5 p.m. instead of a physical rally on or near the main campus in Bangkok for safety reasons. They planned to use a QR code to enable access to a so-called "secret video" broadcast from Thammasat. Transmission was blocked however after police entered the group's operations room and seized equipment, according to local media.

Thammasat University has a storied history of political activism, and has also produced numerous public figures, including a former prime minister, Chuan Leekpai, who is today president of parliament.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F4%2F2%2F3%2F4%2F30334324-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-160415431020201031%20king%20thammasat%20.jpg

King Maha Vajiralongkorn has seen again in public during a two-day graduation ceremony at Thammasat University in Bangkok. © AP

A more recent student, Panusaya Sithijirawattanakul, commonly known as Rung, was instrumental in setting the tone of the protests when she read out a 10-point agenda for reform of the monarchy on Aug 10.

Rung was arrested on Oct. 16 after riot police cracked down on peaceful protesters, and released last night from the Central Women's Correctional Institution.

At the same time, two other key leaders were released from the nearby Bangkok Remand Prison: Parit Chiwarak ('Penguin') and Panupong Jadnok ('Mike Rayong'). All three had been detained for roughly two weeks, but were finally let go after the criminal court refused to issue a third temporary detention order.

An attempt was made by police officers out of uniform to immediately re-arrest all three on fresh charges, and they were forcibly removed to Prachachuen police station in northern Bangkok. Panupong was reportedly choked unconscious in the process, and Parit was injured by glass splinters.

The drama was witnessed by pro-democracy protesters and members of the press. All three are being treated at Praram 9 hospital, with Rung reported to be suffering from dehydration and lack of sleep.

The pro-democracy movement has all along demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and his cabinet, and constitutional changes drafted by representatives of the people. Prayuth has agreed to meet with stakeholders, but details remain uncertain.

Saturday's graduation ceremony started at 3:30 p.m. and went through uninterrupted despite the tense atmosphere surrounding what is normally an occasion for great celebration.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F3%2F7%2F2%2F4%2F30334273-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-160415377320201031%20thammasat%20.jpg

Buddhist monks with a graduating student at Thammasat University, Bangkok, on Oct. 31. © AP

According to Thammasat, 9,625 graduates were eligible to receive the degree from the king, and 51% registered for the ceremony, which requires two days of rehearsal. Traditionally, each student appears before the king to receive their graduation certificate directly. This year, security checks had been stepped ahead of the "big surprise" at 5 p.m. that failed to materialize.

The boycott campaign evidently resulted in nearly half the eligible students not participating. On Friday, a few hundred students took turns receiving a degree certificate from a life-size cutout of Somsak Jeamteerasakul, a former Thammasat lecturer and key critic of the monarchy who lives in self-imposed exile in France.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F4%2F5%2F8%2F2%2F30332854-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-160414177820201031%20thammasat%20student%20RTX8641N.JPG

A recent Thammasat University graduate was among some 200 who chose to receive her certificate from a cardboard cutout of Somsak Jeamteerasakul, a leading anti-monarchist academic now living in France. © Reuters

The next public event on the king's schedule is changing the vestments on the Emerald Buddha at the Grand Palace on Sunday.

The king, with Queen Suthida at his side, mingled with ordinary royalists in Bangkok on Oct. 23 and on Tuesday during a visit to Ubon Ratchathani province. The encounters involved a degree of familiarity not previously seen.

"We expect to see an intensified struggle between protesters and monarchists on both offline and online platforms," Boonyakiat Karavekpan, a political scientist at Ramkamhaeng University, told Nikkei Asia. "Protesters have clearly expressed that their fight goes beyond the government, and is against the monarchy."

Additional reporting by Masayuki Yuda.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got a soft spot for milf singer Nantida :sneaky:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/2012635/singer-nantida-running-for-pak-nam-pao-chief

Singer Nantida running for Pak Nam PAO chief
PUBLISHED : 2 NOV 2020 AT 15:21
WRITER: SUTTHIWIT CHAYUTWORAKAN
Singer Nantida Kaewbusai registers her candidacy for chief of the Provincial Administration Organisation at the community hall in Muang district of Samut Prakan province on Monday. (Photo: Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)
Singer Nantida Kaewbusai registers her candidacy for chief of the Provincial Administration Organisation at the community hall in Muang district of Samut Prakan province on Monday. (Photo: Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)

Popular songstress Nantida Kaewbusai has entered politics, registering her candidacy for chief of the Samut Prakan Provincial Administration Organisation in the Dec 20 elections.

Ms Nantida entered her name when registration of candidates for PAO elections in all provinces opened on Monday.
The singer will contest the PAO chair under the banner of the Samut Prakan Progressive group, which is backed by former municipal mayor Chonsawat Asavahame, her ex-husband.

She won the Asian Amateur Singing Contest in 1978 at only 19 with the song I Who Have Nothing. She later rose to fame, becoming one of the counry's most popular singers.

Ms Nantida said on Monday she wanted to pursue the policies of the political group supported by her former husband's family, with ideas to promote tourism and other measures to revitalise the provincial economy.
Yongyuth Suwanbutr, a Palang Pracharath MP for Samut Prakan, said last month that the party would support Samut Prakan Progressive.
The nationwide PAO polls will be the first local government elections since the coup six years ago.

Other local elections, including for Bangkok and Pattaya cities, will be held later, the government has promised.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CCSA panel approves 10-day quarantine
National
Nov 06. 2020

By The Nation

A subcommittee of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Thursday approved reducing quarantine to 10 days for foreign tourists from countries with the same or slightly higher contagion risk as Thailand.

Travellers from high-risk countries will still be subject to quarantine for 14 days, said Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, after chairing the health subcommittee. The panel believes cutting the quarantine period will attract more tourists to Thailand.
The move came after a medical trial found that 10-day and 14-day quarantines had the same result.
“Reducing quarantine to 10 days only slightly increases risk of infections, from 0.3 people per 1 million in 14-day quarantine to 1.5 per million in 10-day quarantine,” said Kiattiphum.
He added that if the usual 30 million people entered Thailand each year, around 300 asymptomatic Covid-19 cases might slip through the 10-day quarantine but wristband trackers and health system readiness would help trace them for treatment.
“After 10 days, it should be possible for tourists to travel to at least 10 provinces where disease prevention measures [are in place], including Chonburi, Phuket, Rayong, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Buriram and Surat Thani,” he added.

Health panel will now send its report and recommendation to the CCSA committee chaired by the prime minister for approval.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bumrungrad Q3 profit plunges 79% year-on-year
National
Nov 05. 2020
800_fcf0e15d3fcbf6d.jpg

By THE NATION

Bumrungrad Hospital (BH) said it earned a third-quarter profit of Bt221.52 million, a 79 per cent decrease compared to the same period in 2019 with a profit of Bt1.05 billion.

BH vice chairman Dr Chanvit Tanphiphat informed the Stock Exchange of Thailand that total revenue in the previous quarter was Bt2.94 billion, a 38.6 per cent decrease compared to the third quarter last year.

Chanvit said the decrease in earnings came from a limitation on travel by foreign customers for medical treatment during the Covid-19 crisis.

He also mentioned that the revenue earned from foreign patients in the third quarter decreased by 59.9 per cent, while earnings from domestic patients increased by 3.4 per cent. The latter accounted for 56.1 per cent of the total.

In the three quarters (nine months) of 2020, BH witnessed total profit of Bt1.031 billion, a reduction of 64 per cent compared to the first three quarters of 2019, which saw total profit of Bt2.86 billion.

Total BH earnings in the first three quarters was Bt9.61 billion, decreasing by 30.8 per cent from the same period in 2019.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New Thai-made rapid Covid test to slash screening costs
National
Nov 06. 2020
Photo credit: Hfocus.org

By The Nation

Thailand has developed its first rapid test for Covid-19 that provides results within a day, boosting the country’s fight against the disease.

Developed by the Medical Sciences Department, the new tests could cost as little as Bt100 each once commercially produced, compared to Bt300-Bt500 for imported versions.

The Thai-made rapid test kits use the immunoaffinity method to read serum samples from plasma and blood from the fingertips, explained Supakit Sirilak, department acting director-general.

Once approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the test kits will be used by clinicians to screen people who have had symptoms for more than 15 days.

Produced in conjunction with Siam BioScience, they use the real-time RT PCR technique, recognised by the World Health Organisation.

Currently, 236 Covid-19 laboratories nationwide are checking more than 20,000 samples per day – 10,000 daily in Bangkok alone.

The new test kit is more than 90 per cent accurate, with FDA approval expected to take about one month. The department has a production capacity of 3,000 tests per week but is ready to transfer the technology to commercial producers.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397474?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thai tycoon gets conditional antitrust nod for S$14.3 billion Tesco assets buy
The agency's approval marks the exit of Tesco's 22-year-presence in Thailand under the Tesco Lotus brand.

The agency's approval marks the exit of Tesco's 22-year-presence in Thailand under the Tesco Lotus brand.PHOTO: REUTERS

FACEBOOKTWITTER

BANGKOK (BLOOMBERG) - Charoen Pokphand Group won the Thai antitrust agency's approval for its US$10.6 billion (S$14.3 billion) acquisition of British retailer Tesco's local retail business with some conditions.

Billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont's CP Group is barred from other modern-retailing mergers for three years, excluding e-commerce, Thailand's Office of Trade Competition Commission said on Friday (Oct 6), while clearing the deal announced almost eight months ago.
CP Group will gain control of a network of about 2,000 hypermarket and grocery stores across Thailand.

The ruling didn't mention a smaller number of stores in Malaysia, which is part of the agreement with the British retailer.
The agency's approval marks the exit of Tesco's 22-year-presence in Thailand under the Tesco Lotus brand and cements CP Group's position as the nation's dominant retailer.
Mr Dhanin, whose family ranked the world's 13th richest in a Bloomberg report, will be adding Tesco's supermarkets to his empire, which also includes one of the world's biggest 7-Eleven convenience-store networks and the domestic operations of cash-and-carry specialist Siam Makro.

The deal will result in "increased market power but not a monopoly," the agency said in a statement. "The deal may significantly lower competition but won't create major damage to economy nor consumers' benefits."
Mr Dhanin is buying back a retailer that CP Group founded in 1994 and sold to Tesco four years later during the Asian financial crisis.
In 2013, the Thai entrepreneur reclaimed his control of Siam Makro by paying US$6.6 billion to buy out a stake from SHV Holdings.

Thai billionaire buys Tesco's Asia units for $14.6 billion
Tesco weighing sale of Malaysian, Thai supermarkets

Other conditions set by the agency are: CP All and Ek-Chai Distribution System, the conglomerate's main retail business units, must increase the proportion of product sales from small- and medium-sized enterprises at 7-Eleven stores and all Tesco outlets by at least 10 per cent year-on-year for five years.
The merged entity is barred from sharing any trade secrets with manufacturers or distributors of goods or raw materials.
Ek-Chai must maintain contract terms and agreements with existing manufacturers and suppliers of products or raw materials for two years.
CP All and Ek-Chai must report business performance on a quarterly basis, or in a period specified by the commission for three years.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Protesters 'post' letters to King after police fire water cannon
Bangkok Post PUBLISHED : 8 NOV 2020 AT 19:11
UPDATED: 8 NOV 2020 AT 21:25
Protesters drop letters to the King in symbolic post boxes at Sanam Luang near the Grand Palace. (Photo by Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)

Protesters drop letters to the King in symbolic post boxes at Sanam Luang near the Grand Palace. (Photo by Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)

Police fired water cannon at anti-government protesters to prevent them from marching to the Royal Household Bureau at the Grand Palace in Bangkok on Sunday.

Authorities briefly used water cannon when the protesters reached the area outside the Supreme Court building at Sanam Luang on their way to submit letters addressed to the bureau requesting reform of the monarchy.
Four red post boxes were placed on Ratchadamnoen Nai Avenue for protesters to "post" their letters to the King.

Police had set up a blockade outside the Supreme Court to prevent the demonstrators from advancing. After the water fusillade, authorities said they would not fire again as long as protesters stayed away from the barricade.

Protesters react after police fired water cannon at them at Sanam Luang on Sunday. (Photo by Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)

The Erawan Medical Centre of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration reported that one police officer and two protesters were slightly injured when the water cannon was fired.
Many angered demonstrators then moved to the open space at Sanam Luang. Their leaders on Sunday evening were negotiating with a police team led by Pol Lt Gen Phukphong Phongpetra to end the stalemate.
The decision to use water cannon came after police had warned protesters to stay at least 150m away from the building.