• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A comparison of US and Australia. USA might be better for Migration

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Delighted to help. Here are basic rules when planning to migrate to US/Canada or any other countries

1) Don't look at the Official Immigration/Migration website of the desired destination country
2) Don't search this forum or any other forums that covers topics on emmigration
3) Don't provide any background such as age, work status, family composition in case people might want to provide info within context
4) Don't even attempt to start a conversation or attempt to ease into a question.

Will cover the topic on what to do when you reach there in a few days time.

Bloody sarcastic ! be nice.. isnt it all about helping ? heehee You fit the role !

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years ago in the old SBF forum, a doctor wrote in asked for help in migrating to OZ / Canada or any 1st world country as he wanted to get out of Singapore.

He had done his research, checked the official websites from these countries, pointed where he had the issues and gave a bit of background without revealing himself. He also stated what what he was looking for.

Many folks responded to him, gave tips, sought clarification, suggested towns, etc. People with real experiences or had close ones who did it.

He eventually made it to Canada and he was met and picked up by one of the forummers here.

He is not the only one. There was a lady who found a sponsor in this forum as well. This website and its predecessor, the old SBF also operated by the same chap is the best resource available for singaporeans after you have done your basic research and have a rough idea what you want. Use a search function.

If you write something along the following lines

" Hi, I am 28 yrs old, have a fine arts degree from OZ and I intend to move to the States with my wife and 1 kid for a better life. Prefer to head towards the west coast etc. "

or

" Hi, is the green card lottery the only way into USA? "

You get a better response.

By the way, most of the questions are in relations to singaporeans facing challenges, seeking experiences, comments about jobs and business opportunities, when is a good time to leave etc as they would have done their basics on the application process.

Hi

Kindly assist if you can to provide information of migratiing to USA Thanks

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go for it bro - tell him how to apply for the US.

I am bloody tired renovating my nest.. you wana help me or what ? I have no time for hopeless ppl.. Ooops ! I almost forget I have to be nice too..:smile:

I have a better suggestion..

" Kindly assist if you can to provide information of gaining a big lottery prize in USA Thanks.."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you expect to complete your reno? How are the neighbours?

I am bloody tired renovating my nest.. you wana help me or what ? I have no time for hopeless ppl.. Ooops ! I almost forget I have to be nice too..:smile:

I have a better suggestion..

" Kindly assist if you can to provide information of gaining a big lottery prize in USA Thanks.."

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

Kindly assist if you can to provide information of migratiing to USA Thanks

Can I say something? scroobal, technically speaking, he is directing the question to the *Prick* - wonder where the hell is the fellow when he is suppose to answer a question but appear like a pest every time he is not welcome????

I will help - simple way is to apply for the lottery every year when the window is open. This method is the easiest, you don't have to do or read anything, just click and wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...... if you are lucky, you may just get it!! THEN you can start asking the question again..... :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Target ext doors & security by Sept.. wall painting and carpet by Oct. Kitchen and wardrobe by next Apr... External brick, sliding gate & driveway by next Oct.. Aiyo.. can't go wrong living in a good suburbz lah. My next door juz sold his hse.. bloody hell, making $$.. had a boat at his front yard.. so jealous :

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guess which suburb I'm in ?
:biggrin::wink::p:smile:

http://www.reiv.com.au/news/details.asp?NewsID=847

A decade of growth

22-Sep-2009

According to REIV research the median price of a house in Melbourne has increased by 92 per cent in a decade, from $230,000 in 1999 to $441,875 in the June quarter this year.

Over that time the cities most expensive suburbs have recorded even stronger growth.
The most expensive three suburbs in the last quarter were Toorak with a median of $2,730,500, followed by Brighton at $1,687,500 and Kew at $1,410,000.

This is no surprise as these suburbs have been popular with buyers due to their location, access to parks, schools and proximity to services. It is also the case that the supply of detached houses only increases marginally in established suburbs and prices will invariably increase as the city and its population grows.

For those reasons ten years ago these three suburbs were all in Melbourne’s top ten most expensive suburbs.

The median price a house in Toorak in 1999 was $787,000 which sounds like a bargain when you take into account the increase of 247 per cent in the last ten years.

The story in Brighton is similar where the median was $540,000 and Kew where it was $451,000. Both of these suburbs’ median’s have increased by 213 per cent.

The other suburbs that appeared in the top ten in 1999 were East Melbourne, Canterbury, Middle Park, Black Rock, Armadale, South Yarra and Elwood, these suburbs are also regular inclusions in Melbourne’s most expensive suburbs now.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Target ext doors & security by Sept.. wall painting and carpet by Oct. Kitchen and wardrobe by next Apr... External brick, sliding gate & driveway by next Oct.. Aiyo.. can't go wrong living in a good suburbz lah. My next door juz sold his hse.. bloody hell, making $$.. had a boat at his front yard.. so jealous :

Hmmmm .....

As you are aware, I am building investment houses at the moment, and I realised that builders are returning to "poorer" standard of finishing.

I think I will cut cost (about $35k) and use builder's specs for my investment.

But if you are living in your house, you should go for quality specs, eg quality granite benchtop and vinyl for cabinets. Even people who are not into building can somehow feel that the house is a class higher.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmmm .....

As you are aware, I am building investment houses at the moment, and I realised that builders are returning to "poorer" standard of finishing.

But if you are living in your house, you should go for quality specs, eg quality granite benchtop and vinyl for cabinets. Even people who are not into building can somehow feel that the house is a class higher.

You hv to be careful in your investment. One golden rule: Do not over invest.. (unless you intend to live there for 20yrs). However, you can do it on a selective basis.. Kitchen and bath are normally an eye catching area.. as well as entrance and frontage..
I am the poorest hse in the class suburb. but I think this ppty will always find potential buyers due to its land size and better plot ratio :smile: It is already making money for me.. the qns is how much it'll make :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have done your research very well.

You hv to be careful in your investment. One golden rule: Do not over invest.. (unless you intend to live there for 20yrs). However, you can do it on a selective basis.. Kitchen and bath are normally an eye catching area.. as well as entrance and frontage..
I am the poorest hse in the class suburb. but I think this ppty will always find potential buyers due to its land size and better plot ratio :smile: It is already making money for me.. the qns is how much it'll make :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best approach is to be as local as possible, for the sake of retaining best possible marketing value and in the event of a firesale.

Locals including well heeled ones, can spot a house belonging to a greek, Italian, Asian etc - the rich ones that is. In local parlance its called "owned by an ethinic"

For instance, the toilet bowl will be the best but the colour will be pure white or pearl white but not cream. Though top of the range, they will know that it is by a rich asian. The same goes with curtains. Its the usual problem of overcapitalising. Generally, well heeled Caucasians are not into expensive furnishings but tend to have things like a library, lots of photos on the walls, wine collections, well maintained gardens etc. The location must come first before the furnishings and finishings.

Its therefore no surprise that homes of ex-Singaporeans/Malaysians appear the same in the inside whether its in the UK, Canada or the US.

If you have the opportunity, talk to a chap who was a co-founder of Informatics, who migrated to Perth in 2000 and pretty much into venture capitalism. This guy is a master of building value and he is the one who explained the issue of overcapitalising. I beleive he lives in a house he built near Cottesloe or City beach.

Amazing chap - tap his mind on starting a business.

Hmmmm .....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best approach is to be as local as possible, for the sake of retaining best possible marketing value and in the event of a firesale.

Locals including well heeled ones, can spot a house belonging to a greek, Italian, Asian etc - the rich ones that is. In local parlance its called "owned by an ethinic"

For instance, the toilet bowl will be the best but the colour will be pure white or pearl white but not cream. Though top of the range, they will know that it is by a rich asian. The same goes with curtains. Its the usual problem of overcapitalising. Generally, well heeled Caucasians are not into expensive furnishings but tend to have things like a library, lots of photos on the walls, wine collections, well maintained gardens etc. The location must come first before the furnishings and finishings.

Its therefore no surprise that homes of ex-Singaporeans/Malaysians appear the same in the inside whether its in the UK, Canada or the US.

If you have the opportunity, talk to a chap who was a co-founder of Informatics, who migrated to Perth in 2000 and pretty much into venture capitalism. This guy is a master of building value and he is the one who explained the issue of overcapitalising. I beleive he lives in a house he built near Cottesloe or City beach.

Amazing chap - tap his mind on starting a business.

I know what you mean. Basically, I just put in the typical stuff, including a dishwasher, which I only run once a month to maintain it. No Balinese gazebo and no Happy Buddha statue.

Anyway walking past my garden, anyone will know this is an asian house. Lemongrass, chilli, bitter melon, mint, etc growing.

A house further down the road is even better, all the Mediterranean herbs on a raised patch. Mr Italian lives there, and he celebrates by getting his nosiy extended family over for Sunday lunch! Mama mia.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think it is a matter of making the place looks good. Eg. For investment property, I do not even bother to tile the toilet from floor to ceiling, and I use separate (typical British style) hot and cold taps.

Another thing, ever since I got lousy tenants who cracked the glass in the shower, now, I will just install shower curtains.

No floor skirtings. Just cheap dark-colored carpets and free underlay.

And I will never ever rent to students and young single angmo men or women.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Garden patch, no problem, at time of sale can always rip it out. Balinese gazebo quite trendy across the world.

Can't beat the Italians, houses, room subdivided, got committee room in the garden. Prices stagnant. The greek and Italains neighbourhoods in Melbourne have the lowest price rises.

When people ask me about Perth, always tell them North of the river. But you know how it is with Singaporeans - they will still buy at Bullcreek right next to the pollution ridden Leach Highway to be near Rossmoyne HS.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is a matter of making the place looks good. Eg. For investment property, I do not even bother to tile the toilet from floor to ceiling, and I use separate (typical British style) hot and cold taps.

Another thing, ever since I got lousy tenants who cracked the glass in the shower, now, I will just install shower curtains.

No floor skirtings. Just cheap dark-colored carpets and free underlay.

And I will never ever rent to students and young single angmo men or women.

If you do invest, do think of what the local want.. (not what sinkies want - common mistake by many). Locals wanted good location for security and transport reasons.... Nobody will commute >1hr for work (daily) if they have a choice. Also nearer to the city will have a better "plot ratio "~ meaning potential for development or acquire by developer.. Also the Supply and Demand factor - the outer lands will have plenty of supply.. inner lands have lower/limited supply. In SG term, Nassim Hills is good.. Jurong is no good :smile: In short, the rich will be richer and poor will be poorer in long run.

For renting, I think you'll be better to look for someone who has a stable govt job for $$$.. the rest does not matter ( I think).. my 2 cents..

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey, I've been looking for "firesale" for the past 12mths (in a good suburb) ~ no luck.. went for property inspections for >50hses.. gave crap offer and walk away.. Guess what ? they dont bother at all.. haiz..

Btw Jan- Apr, I gave a good advice to my frz : "The "fear" has arrived Australia, so if you can get a good hse in preferred location, go for it !" He bought in late Mar (despite he thinks it is not the right time) at $700/m2.. now it is worth $1000/mth.. he make around $300k within 6mths.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, I've been looking for "firesale" for the past 12mths (in a good suburb) ~ no luck.. went for property inspections for >50hses.. gave crap offer and walk away.. Guess what ? they dont bother at all.. haiz..

Btw Jan- Apr, I gave a good advice to my frz : "The "fear" has arrived Australia, so if you can get a good hse in preferred location, go for it !" He bought in late Mar (despite he thinks it is not the right time) at $700/m2.. now it is worth $1000/mth.. he make around $300k within 6mths.

This is how i go about finding pre forclosure house is to outsouce my mass faxing to all the companies in Edmonton. In my message, i bascially tells them that i buy houses. Ask them to email me for free reports on how to get out of their problem.

A lot of real estate guru will tell you print Post card and direct mail to house owners when i do the calc. Postage= C$0.54, Cost of Card = $0.10, Time & effort to print address and tongue to lick the stamp =$0.10. It is around $C0.74/card. Mass faxing 10000 / C$200. I pick properties that i will fit my investment and the rest either i flip or ignored.